Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Supplements (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f56/)
-   -   DL-Phenylalanine (D, L and DL) (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f56/dl-phenylalanine-d-l-and-dl-84148/)

Helena_SAS 02-26-2010 01:11 PM

DL-Phenylalanine (D, L and DL)

Phenylalanine is an essential amino acid which is sold as nutritional supplements for its reputed pain relief and antidepressant effects.

More Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenylalanine

kentcharm 02-08-2011 11:03 PM

I am looking into buying these. I was working out the other day and experienced my first 'runners high' due to the endorphins my body released. After this happened I wanted to find something that would cause this effect w/o exercise. I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best!

Narcissistic Pundit 02-24-2011 02:40 PM

Phenylalanine is the chemical that diet soda labels warn about (it is present in aspartame). It is labeled because it is extremely dangerous to people with the condition phenylketonuria (PKU). Otherwise it is generally considered safe and found in many sugar-free and diet foods.

From the Wikipedia page:
Quote:

The mechanism of DL-phenylalanine's supposed antidepressant activity may be accounted for by the precursor role of L-phenylalanine in the synthesis of the neurotransmitters norepinephrine and dopamine. Elevated brain levels of norepinephrine and dopamine are thought to have an antidepressant effect. Also, as DL-phenylalanine inhibits endorphin degradation, this leads to an inhibition of GABA release in the ventral tegmental neurons (in the midbrain), which results in greater dopamine release.

Narcissistic Pundit 02-24-2011 02:49 PM

I am interested in these as well. Here's some info I've found:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The mechanism of DL-phenylalanine's supposed antidepressant activity may be accounted for by the precursor role of L-phenylalanine in the synthesis of the neurotransmitters norepinephrine and dopamine. Elevated brain levels of norepinephrine and dopamine are thought to have an antidepressant effect. Also, as DL-phenylalanine inhibits endorphin degradation, this leads to an inhibition of GABA release in the ventral tegmental neurons (in the midbrain), which results in greater dopamine release.

Precautions:
Quote:

Toxicity is rare in dietary intake but large amounts in supplement form may play havoc with your blood pressure and cause headaches, nausea and heartburn. Large amounts of this nutrient may also cause nerve damage. Toxicity symptoms include increased blood pressure and emotional agitation, insomnia, headaches, and tyrosine toxicity. Individuals with PKU and women who are lactating or pregnant should avoid supplementation. People with melanomas should also avoid Phenylalanine supplementation as it may stimulate the growth of this skin cancer. L-dopa competes with phenylalanine and should not be taken at the same time of day. Doses in excess of 5,000 mg a day may be toxic and can cause nerve damage.
Supplementation of L-Tyrosine may increase effectiveness.

popeet 03-01-2011 06:09 AM

I've got some Turmeric capsules with DL-Phenylalanine.

I have really bad mood reactions to aspartame, so I'm very hesitant to try this. But, I think I'll have to try it once and see if maybe it's something else in the aspartame besides the phenylalanine.

broflovski 03-01-2011 07:02 AM

It seems that this stuff is the only widely available enkephalinase inhibitor... but how much is it potent in this respect??

popeet 03-01-2011 07:20 AM

I've no idea how potent it is in comparison to the other, unavailable enkephalinase inhibitors. I don't know anything about this stuff.

I was reading someone's post on an opioid use site that said he used 1 gram daily to potentiate the opioids he was using. Wikipedia says that doses above 5000 grams a day are neurotoxic. My little capsule contains only 100 mg.

I wanted to add a note to my comment about aspartame-- I'm going to assume that it is the excitotoxic aspartic acid (the other 50% of aspartame besides phenylalanine) in aspartame that makes me feel so messed up.

That said, down the hatch with this lil' dl-phenylalanine and turmeric capsule. :) *Gulp* ahh.

PetePain 09-13-2011 05:59 PM

I tried dl-phenylalanine a long time ago. I took a recommended dose, it made my blood pressure sink and rise like a roller coaster - I was close to going to the emergency room. Very scary.

Zeeshan 09-13-2011 07:24 PM

Why get this, when you can just buy L-Dopa and increase dopamine levels 10 times what this or Tyrisone would do

Phenylalanine = Tyrosone = L-Dopa

Why not just buy mucuna pruiens,

Zeeshan 11-06-2011 11:32 AM

its been an hour since i took about 1000 MG or 1 G, which is about as much as i read from most people regarding a "high" on the bodybuilding forum

So far cant say anything different of note. Just maybe a little more energy

But nothing that promotes abilities like risk taking.

I am starting to think that more dopamine does not mean it will be used. Its just there,

Zeeshan 11-06-2011 11:37 AM

I do feel more aroused generaly speaking

but its no different then caffiene of ephidrine.

Like there is no calming effect or anything like that.

Zeeshan 11-06-2011 01:30 PM

UPDATE: 3 HOURS LATER

Mood has taken a tremandous upswing, going to gym now to do cardio as well as listening to up beat music

This is something, i take what i said back

Zeeshan 11-07-2011 05:21 PM

Definately gonna take again, out of this world supplement. didnt think something like this was natural

The Professor 11-07-2011 09:28 PM

did nothing for me (DLP 500mg)

Zeeshan 11-08-2011 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Professor (Post 1059418826)
did nothing for me (DLP 500mg)

I took a gram with EGCG

didnt take one today, kind of scared of the change that happens

Endorphin 12-03-2011 06:38 PM

Good stuff especially if you workout that day. Some is converted to tyrosine and tyrosine by itself was good so its no wonder DLPA is good too

Amazingness 01-04-2012 09:21 PM

I took L-phynalaline for about a week and my anxiety actually got worse. When I was in situations like at the movies and church, I literally had the worst laughing attacks of my entire life! It was almost a nightmare! Once I stopped the laughing attacks Also stopped. I think it's because it increases adrenaline, and this increases anxiety in my experience because it puts you in more of a fight or flight state!

GenSherTree 02-28-2012 04:53 PM

My mom was given DL-Phenylalanine to help quit smoking but didn't find it useful for that matter. She recommended I use it for anxiety and I'm going to use it tonight during my overnight shift at the hospital. I will report back with the effects! Anyone know if it's safe to use with St. John's Wort?

tea111red 02-28-2012 06:47 PM

Meh, had absolutely no effect on me (1000-1500 mg).

SomniferumPapi 12-04-2012 10:16 AM

I love these! They're better than tyrosine and thats saying alot. Makes my work outs easier to start and makes me feel better afterwards. Damn I wish I had money to get some of these!