Caffeine - Page 12 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #221 of 265 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 09:09 AM
sarvam dukham sarvam anit

My Mood: Mellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgetmylife View Post
That's pretty much how all stims work... Too much cocaine, panic attack. Too much e, panic attack and anxiety. Too much meth, severe paronoia. Sativa weed, paronoia. Too much amphetamine, probably anxiety. Too much caffeine, anxiety and jitters...

Pretty much all of these substances (although very different) share one thing in common... Mood boost at low-average doses and anxiety or paranoia when you overdo it!

Back on topic... Caffeine for me makes me happy (slight mood boost) after say a cup of coffee for instance. Even at such doses however, I will feel more anxious and on edge. Most of the time though this is countered and overpowered by the mood lift! Except of course when you overdo it! /2cents...
If I lived around Barstow, I'd be on edge too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 265 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 09:10 AM
sarvam dukham sarvam anit

My Mood: Mellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulaghost View Post
Coffee ****s up my anxiety, but it´s the only way it will keep me awake.
AMEN!
post #223 of 265 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 06:55 AM
SAS Member

You know that scientists have found that there is more caffeine in tea, than in coffee. So if you are quite sensitive to caffeine you should be careful with drinking tea.

If you couldn't wake up in the morning without coffee, try to change it for fresh orange juice, it really helps me

Find the best writers on Top-Writers-Reviews.com

post #224 of 265 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 04:46 AM
SAS Member

Mixed blessing

I've given up caffeine for short periods (by tapering to avoid the withdrawal headaches/triedness). I find my tolerance decreases and even a small amount of caffeine/coffee gives me a much more pronounced effect than when I'm regularly taking it. For instance I find it difficult to nap.

Anyway, the story is that when I was off the caffeine I once had three double espressos in a row. I ended up nearly having a panic attack in morning church. Full of anxious thoughts of imminent death and possible damnation.

Anyway, it passed. Then for the rest of the day until 3am I couldn't stop talking. I found myself really 'sparky' and even quite witty, a first for me. It was an amazing experience. I've so often lacked that spark and found myself collapsing in to myself at parties. This was the total opposite. However, it wasn't a party just friends together having. I really enjoyed myself. I've since found this to be true generally. If I can just get myself through the anxiety panic phase then it gives me social energy and I'm much less shy and even have fun. I think this is also the reason for the rampant use of amphetamines in performers. Imagine having to turn on all that wit and spark and high energy at exactly 6pm every evening. Better to be Norah Jones than Judy Garland, and so not need them at all. It's made me rethink high-energy, high-passion song composition. Imagine performing those every freaking day.

The downside is the panic attack problem. I've since realised that when I'm back on the coffee that two or three cups of strong coffee still makes me experience some measure of uncomfortable anxiety even despite full tolerance. I wasn't aware of this before. My brother, non caffeine drinker, also experienced a full blown panic attack when he injudiciously drank two liters of coke (about to die etc). Fortunately I was able to reassure him afterwards that he wasn't going mad.

I wouldn't be surprised if panic attacks are being caused when people have one or two strong coffees only in the morning and so never build up a tolerance.

Ultimately I'm going to give up caffeine for the long term. I might dip in to it for social reasons now and then, but there is another downside which is more important to me. It's linked to procrastination. According to a study a few years ago, the underlying cause of procrastination is impatience. Counter-intuitive, I know. I'll let you work it out. It then occurred to me that maybe the adrenaline effect of caffeine would feed impatience. Searching on the web I found a guy saying that when off caffeine he had no problem doing his todo lists, but when on caffeine he would end up doing low priority stimulating stuff instead of the high priority humdrum stuff. I remember as a child being very happy to create 25 mini passports for my teddy bears. But on caffeine I simply don't have the patience for humdrum enjoyment. Or slow movies. Or music. etc etc. I need to get my high priorities done, so the caffeine has to go.

One benefit of being off caffeine: I've almost always been a good sleeper. But morning wake-up is pain. I've made it easy by having an espresso by my bedside. Also painful with longer naps (up to 25 mins, with an alarm to avoid deep sleep of 30+mins). However, off the caffeine I wake up almost effortlessly. Also with naps. Just like when I was a child. And far less energy/sluggishness issues. But my sleep is much, much lighter and I need to use ear plugs.
post #225 of 265 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 05:33 PM
SAS Member

Coffee and caffeine are such a double-edged sword. They can be a perfect temporary fix, but over time, our dependency on caffeine grows with intake. Just look at Kicking and Screaming, Will Ferrell turns into more of a lunatic than usual with that stuff! So it certainly has its ups and downs. I have been trying to get off of it, but I enjoy a cup every once in a while.
post #226 of 265 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 04:57 PM
SAS Member

Caffeine raises our cortisol levels, so basically it is a little bit of stress in a cup.

I gave it up once for 18 months. I seriously missed it though. However, I was in the best place ever. No emotional roller coaster. I felt great. Lost a lot of weight too and my sense of taste came back and I lost the need for sweet things. But I love black tea and the smell of a cup of coffee. It's such a social activity and I need all the social activities that come along. I went back onto it during a group assignment in university. I felt I needed a crutch.
post #227 of 265 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 05:19 PM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
I'm really puzzled by the hate towards caffeine all the time. You'd think drinking a cup of coffee causes you to fall over dead the way people talk about it. I drink a 36 pack of Diet Pepsi in about a week and a half and the only time I feel bad is when I'm getting a cold or something. I hardly ever have headaches no matter how much or how little I drink unless I sleep too long.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #228 of 265 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 05:56 PM
SAS Member

I consume caffeine everyday, but I keep it pretty regulated. I don't consume regular coffee because it's too strong. Instead, I use decaf coffee (it still has a bit of caffeine) and black tea with milk. One cup in the morning, and one around 5pm. I'll have green tea in the evening if I have to stay up late.

“Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors.”
—African proverb
post #229 of 265 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 06:03 PM
 

My Mood: Busy
I've been doubling my tea bags and it seems to have me feel hot, it doesn't seem to be the temperature of the water as it seems more intense. It's probably more blood rushing around the skin and just the quickened bodily state overall. I'm sort of ok with it now though, I like being more caffeinated and keen, or I'm getting addicted.
post #230 of 265 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 06:05 PM
SAS Member

I used to drink a lot of coffee, life ten or more mugs a day... But I stopped and switched to tea two month ago, I feel a lot less nervous but I still can't sleep :/
post #231 of 265 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 07:17 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
I love coffee and drinks containing caffeine but they are definitely not good for me to drink. Yesterday I was feeling a little tired and decided to drink something with caffeine in it before the gym. I was extremely anxious for the first 45min while I was there and was shaking in between sets. Everyone there probably thinks I'm crazy but hey, I don't go there to make friends.
post #232 of 265 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 08:24 PM
SAS Member

Caffeine takes the edge off my anxiety. Drugs affect everyone differently. I drink one monster zero a day.
post #233 of 265 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 05:21 PM
trying to stay positive

caffeine good or bad?

Caffeine has been a real issue for me ive been consuming it for years Ive been drinking it for years for awhile its been energy drinks i know its bad i need to quit my depression doesn't make it better either
post #234 of 265 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 04:23 AM
SAS Member

My Caffeine Experience

I have always drunk coffee even before i developed social anxiety disorder. Therefore, it is hard to tell if it makes much difference on the anxiety front. Depending on your makeup it could make it worse or maybe even better. For instance in my experience stimulants tend to make my social anxiety more manageable as thoughts and words come more readily to you. In order to say whether or not it makes a big difference you have to try both with and without for extended periods of time. We all react differently to caffeine.
post #235 of 265 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 03:17 PM
SAS Member

I used to be addicted to tea, but have now given it up. I feel so much better for it, less anxious and much easier getting up in the morning because im not experiencing the withdrawal symptoms from the caffeine from the day before. Problem is it is the number one social drink along with coffee. How do you avoid it without being anti-social??
post #236 of 265 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 06:58 PM
SAS Member

I love drinking espresso shots! When I'm in a low-energy state, it's great. If I'm feeling anxiety, however, espresso shots (and other caffeinated drinks) make my symtoms worse. Knowing when to have caffeine (and how much to consume) is key, I think. It can boost your thinking skills (if you drink a small/regular dose), but can also make you very jittery if you have too much.

I'm currently trying to lay off a bit because I know I drink too much espresso (especially for someone with SA).
post #237 of 265 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 12:05 PM
LEFT SAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaport View Post
I love drinking espresso shots! When I'm in a low-energy state, it's great. If I'm feeling anxiety, however, espresso shots (and other caffeinated drinks) make my symtoms worse. Knowing when to have caffeine (and how much to consume) is key, I think. It can boost your thinking skills (if you drink a small/regular dose), but can also make you very jittery if you have too much.

I'm currently trying to lay off a bit because I know I drink too much espresso (especially for someone with SA).
OOOOOOH, espresso shots!
post #238 of 265 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 06:34 PM
Bless the rains in Africa

Language: Japanese/Hiroshima, Pidgin, Hebrew, African, Mexican, 7-11
My Mood: Innocent
Weird! Yes, caffeine/coffee can make anxiety worse, however, an average dose of caffeine (or a cup of coffee) seems to make me more social (perhaps by making me more anxious? haha idk it's weird, but it definitely works in some situations if not overdone!)

Now, If and when the notion of thy marital conflict presents itself amid discussion, I shall acknowledge and exude multitudes of sympathy from within. For as long as you shall encounter aforesaid botheration, I am your biological father.

In the spirit of remaining candid and forthright, personal grievances of mine rein ad infinitum. Per contra, interpersonal differences between female companionship and I, of irreconcilable ilk, do not appear to be among such aforementioned affliction.
post #239 of 265 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 02:18 AM
SAS Member

Hi guys, once, few years ago, when I had no idea I have SA, I went to a doctor with my syndromes of SA because I was quite worried why my heart beats so fast sometimes, why I sweat and I'm nervous from time to time. I just thought it's some problems with high blood pressure especially because it was the most intensive while drinking a coffee.

She checked me out and said it can be some kind of mental disorder and drinking coffee makes things worse, because nervous system is more sensitive when drinking coffee or anything with caffeine.

She was right, if I'm not drinking more than one coffee/daily, or if I drink no coffee then I'm less nervous and less anxious in social situations. Do you experience it too?

Of course I drink it anyway as I need it to be "alive" and as I love the taste, but I was thinking that this information might be useful for some of you.
post #240 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 02:21 AM
SAS Member

Caffeeine definitely makes SA worse, for me. Not only does it make it worse when i drink it though, but I also seem more anxious the day after. L-theanine does help with this though, it seems to take the edge off slightly!
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page