5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) - Page 6 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #101 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 08:08 PM
Self Inflicted Perma Ban

Language: Fluent English and Dutch, some Anglo-Saxon and German. Currently studying Bokmal Norwegian.
This stuff is amazing! I've taken to calling it my happy pills. Although I probably built up the dose a little faster than I should have since I don't have a 50mg bottle, but only a bottle with 100mg capsules, it has worked wonders for me. I currently take 300mg per day. That is one capsule of 100mg with each of the three major meals. I use the natural variant instead of the synthetic one.

I decided to take this after I noticed a resurgence of Pure O OCD, lots of nasty intrusive thoughts and a feeling of overall gloom. I've been on SSRIs in the past, and they didn't really work for me, plus the side effects were intense. This stuff, however, caused me a relaxed feeling right from the first capsule. OCD actually intensified for the next few days, along with general anxiety. This seems to be a common occurance with the disorder right before it gets better for some reason. After a few more days, I noticed my intrusive thoughts, hell, even most of my anxiety in general, social or otherwise, had dimished with about 80%. And that's just the first week. I could actually go out, look people in the face, and I didn't feel a single shred of anxiety. I have not noticed any decrease in sex drive or any of the other side effects people have reported here, aside from the few mentioned below.

The downsides: it makes me kind of drowsy, although this is noticeably becoming less and less every day. Secondly, I find that taking coffee while on this makes me very jittery. It is also not recommended to take this with alcohol. Both substances negatively affect your serotonin levels, so that makes sense. As a result, I'm cutting both substances out of my diet altogether. A small sacrifice to make if you ask me.
Lastly, taking this on an empty stomach made me a little bit nauseous, though definitely not something I found bothersome to the extent I couldn't sleep.

Also a few notes, 300mg is supposed to be the dosage used for treatment of anxiety etc. You shouldn't be taking this for longer than 12 week, or until it stops working, in which case a break of a week or two is needed for the supplement to be effective again. Do not use in conjecture with any SSRI or MAO, or a similar drug because you don't want Serotonin Syndrome. Allow up to two weeks for the supplement to take effect. I would also very much like to confirm that this stuff is not a placebo. It's supported by clinical trials that you can easily find through some googling, and nothing so far has ever helped me reduce OCD once it flares up, safe for rigorous application of therapeutic techniques I learned, which, in this case, I did not even need to apply. Yes, I'm promoting this stuff.

EDIT: During the first two weeks there's a chance that, like with SSRIs, the anxiety may actually get worse. This is a temporary thing.

Ear byth egle eorla gehwylcun
Dhonne faestlice flaesc onginneth

Hraw colian hrusan ceosan
blac to gebeddan bleda gedreosath
Wynna gewitath wera geswicath
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 01:10 PM
Master of my domain

I'm very pleased with what 5-HTP has done for me so far. The first 3-4 days weren't that great with a lot of brainfog and generally feeling weird. But after that it has only been going up. I have a lot more energy to do things and it has done wonders for my OCD and intrusive thoughts. I really noticed a decrease in the general anxiety too, where I don't worry nearly as much over things as I used to. Been on 100 mg/day to start with but now going on 150 mg/day before I will soon take a break from it.

It doesn't make me smile all day or feel that happy overall but it seems very effective at evening things out and remove a lot of the negativity and worry.

The only downsides are that it is in fact so energizing that I have problems falling asleep at night now and also, that it hasn't done very much for my social anxiety. I still feel as awkward and anxious around people if not even more so as I'm somehow more aware of everything going on around me, like I feel as if I'm more on edge if that makes sense. But this is a very subtle side effect that I can counter with other medication. At least on this I only need to worry about SA and nothing else.

The downsides gradually went away after a month on 5-HTP. My sleep went back to normal while still feeling more energetic than usually and I started feeling less anxious in public too.

Make it so number one. Engage!

post #103 of 153 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 09:15 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalunatic View Post
This stuff is amazing! I've taken to calling it my happy pills. Although I probably built up the dose a little faster than I should have since I don't have a 50mg bottle, but only a bottle with 100mg capsules, it has worked wonders for me. I currently take 300mg per day. That is one capsule of 100mg with each of the three major meals. I use the natural variant instead of the synthetic one.

I decided to take this after I noticed a resurgence of Pure O OCD, lots of nasty intrusive thoughts and a feeling of overall gloom. I've been on SSRIs in the past, and they didn't really work for me, plus the side effects were intense. This stuff, however, caused me a relaxed feeling right from the first capsule. OCD actually intensified for the next few days, along with general anxiety. This seems to be a common occurance with the disorder right before it gets better for some reason. After a few more days, I noticed my intrusive thoughts, hell, even most of my anxiety in general, social or otherwise, had dimished with about 80%. And that's just the first week. I could actually go out, look people in the face, and I didn't feel a single shred of anxiety. I have not noticed any decrease in sex drive or any of the other side effects people have reported here, aside from the few mentioned below.

The downsides: it makes me kind of drowsy, although this is noticeably becoming less and less every day. Secondly, I find that taking coffee while on this makes me very jittery. It is also not recommended to take this with alcohol. Both substances negatively affect your serotonin levels, so that makes sense. As a result, I'm cutting both substances out of my diet altogether. A small sacrifice to make if you ask me.
Lastly, taking this on an empty stomach made me a little bit nauseous, though definitely not something I found bothersome to the extent I couldn't sleep.

Also a few notes, 300mg is supposed to be the dosage used for treatment of anxiety etc. You shouldn't be taking this for longer than 12 week, or until it stops working, in which case a break of a week or two is needed for the supplement to be effective again. Do not use in conjecture with any SSRI or MAO, or a similar drug because you don't want Serotonin Syndrome. Allow up to two weeks for the supplement to take effect. I would also very much like to confirm that this stuff is not a placebo. It's supported by clinical trials that you can easily find through some googling, and nothing so far has ever helped me reduce OCD once it flares up, safe for rigorous application of therapeutic techniques I learned, which, in this case, I did not even need to apply. Yes, I'm promoting this stuff.

EDIT: During the first two weeks there's a chance that, like with SSRIs, the anxiety may actually get worse. This is a temporary thing.

Hi, and hello everyone else! I am currently on 100mg a day of this. I am scared of getting Serotonin Syndrome personally, so I'm not sure whether I should increase the dosage or not.

You spoke about having a week or two off sometimes. Do you feel greater anxiety during this time off the 5HTP?

I think I'm going to increase my dose to 150mg. (It's my 3rd day).

Thanks.

post #104 of 153 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Master of my domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash101 View Post
Hi, and hello everyone else! I am currently on 100mg a day of this. I am scared of getting Serotonin Syndrome personally, so I'm not sure whether I should increase the dosage or not.

You spoke about having a week or two off sometimes. Do you feel greater anxiety during this time off the 5HTP?

I think I'm going to increase my dose to 150mg. (It's my 3rd day).

Thanks.
You're not getting serotonin syndrome by 5-HTP alone. It is when it is combined with antidepressives or certain drugs there is a small but possible risk.

post #105 of 153 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 09:38 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoslow View Post
You're not getting serotonin syndrome by 5-HTP alone. It is when it is combined with antidepressives or certain drugs there is a small but possible risk.
Thanks zoslow.

I really need the courage to bump up my dosage from 100 to 150mg a day of 5-HTP.

From drugs.com it says 'The potential for serotonin syndrome exists with concomitant use of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) or monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs).'

I don't know if it's a good idea having 100mg in the morning, and then 50mg, a completely different dosage, another time during that same day?
post #106 of 153 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 10:50 AM
Master of my domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash101 View Post
Thanks zoslow.

I really need the courage to bump up my dosage from 100 to 150mg a day of 5-HTP.

From drugs.com it says 'The potential for serotonin syndrome exists with concomitant use of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) or monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs).'

I don't know if it's a good idea having 100mg in the morning, and then 50mg, a completely different dosage, another time during that same day?
That's absolutely a safe thing to do. I take it you don't eat antidepressives or plan on doing a MDMA race on the same day hehe so there is no need for worrying. Like you say you could split the doses up if you feel more comfortable doing that - that's what I do myself. Take 100/50 morning/in the evening or 75/75 or something like that. I cut up the capsules and dose appropriately then swallow the powder and wash it down with some water.

post #107 of 153 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 09:18 PM
era
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermoon View Post
I'm taking 5-htp right now but I also take L-tyrosine (at a different time of day) I read that if you only take 5-htp you could deplete your dopamine, or only take l-tyrosine you could deplete your serotonin. Not sure if it's true but it makes sense to me, because when I'm on a DNRI I feel emotionally flat and when I take a SNRI I'm really unmotivated.

The first 2 days I took 100 mg of 5-htp, I hadn't started the l-tyrosine yet, I felt high. It felt great but not something I want to feel every day - exactly like a small dose of ecstasy. (I would never take that anymore, I'm just comparing the effects) I was happy, relaxed, patient, talkative, and confident but I was a little wired and sweaty. On the third day I didn't have these side effects, I just felt a little more "normal" than usual - a little more motivated, less tired, less appetite and a little nausea and smaller but still noticeable influences on happiness, confidence, reduced anxiety. I also had crazy dreams and hard time sleeping.

Once I added in the l-tyrosine on the 4th day, the crazy dreams went away and I could sleep through the night. I felt very awake during the day but relaxed and sleepy at night. This has long been an issue for me as I usually feel tired all day and awake at night. I also feel a little more hungry (but still less than before) than when I was just taking 5-htp but this could also be from subsiding initial effects of the 5-htp.

So far I like the effects of the two combined, but it's not perfect. Now that I've been taking it for a week, I'm planning on taking it only a few times a week to keep my levels up but not become tolerant. I will update this post in a month or two.
What you are on sounds much like the PURSOR protocol, which is to balance dopamine and serotonin by using L-DOPA and 5-HTP sublingually, using tastebuds to estimate dosage.Tyrosine is an alternate method because it partially converts to L-DOPA.

I have used both L-DOPA or Tyrosine, along with 5-HTP, but never seem to have gotten things "just right". But that is still an experiment in progress. I have not been able to determine (yet) if just 2 opposing agents are sufficient to optimize my brain chemistry. My goal is to successfully treat a case of middle insomnia which I have had for years.

Prior to attempting to balance dopamine and serotonin via PURSOR, I had good luck with using a mixture of essential amino acids, specifically, the NOW Amino-9 Essentials. My body seems to really respond well to a mixture of aminos, with the proportion of each roughly set to duplicate the proportions that would result from digestion of a high-quality protein food.
post #108 of 153 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 08:56 PM
Permanently Banned

Language: Pidgin
Have been taking 200-300mg a day consistently for the past 2 weeks... Haven't noticed much if anything but am going to give it another 2 weeks.
post #109 of 153 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 04:17 AM
SAS Member

Language: vietnamese, english
I used to take these before my Walmart store stop putting them on the shelves. They make me tired and drowsy. When combined with melatonin, they can put you to sleep easily. I'm not sure if they make me happy or feel good about myself.
post #110 of 153 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 07:30 AM
SAS Member

Other than Phenibut, this supplement i have found to be most powerful but in very different ways. Phenibut relaxes first and foremost, 5HTP also relaxes but adds a euphoric inward energy as well. Unfortunately for me, dosely escalated initially i had very little and it worked well and even having days off the dose required to illicit an effect rose. You seem to end up nearing more, in that sense i guess its like any other addiction. Your brain somehow remember's that first experience and it never fully erases it from your hardwiring. 5HTP can also give you a very intense feeling of nausea about an hour or so after you take it. If your willing to ignore the side effects and tolerance issues i outlined then 5HTP is very helpful in boosting mood. Some people take it for extended periods with increasing effectiveness (like an anti-depressant). I only get an effect from it for about a day and then it subsides so i sometimes take it even to this day but nausea really puts me off. Even the mildest taste of the capsule is enough to get that process rolling, so i guess best just try not to think about it if you can
post #111 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 08:32 AM
Master of my domain

Still works good for me. More people should give this a try.

Though by now I have completely wrecked my dopamine levels by taking it for such a long time without any supplements. I can tell I've depleted my dopamine cause my concentration is really crappy, sexdrive has dipped, I constantly crave fat/sugarish food and whatnot. I need to get my hands on some tyrosine cause I don't feel too well right now, don't make my mistake if you get on 5-htp.

post #112 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 08:51 PM
SAS Member

Started taking 50mg to 100mg everyday. First few days made me really tired and i slept like a baby. Then after a few days that effect wore off so I started taking it in the morning. So far it was improved my overall mood but hasnt helped with anxiety . I tryed taking the supplement with l-tyrosine because I heard it depletes your dopamine but l-tyrosine made me extremely anxious. I would defiently recommenced 5-htp as a natural mood booster
post #113 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 09:20 PM
SAS Member

Quote:

I have a question -- does 5-HTP have the same process as SSRI that inhibits the reuptake and lets the serotonin hang out longer in between the synapses, or does it just produce more serotonin and doesn't have the SSRI inhibit reuptake of serotonin?

post #114 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 09:45 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingmind View Post
I have a question -- does 5-HTP have the same process as SSRI that inhibits the reuptake and lets the serotonin hang out longer in between the synapses, or does it just produce more serotonin and doesn't have the SSRI inhibit reuptake of serotonin?
"Both 5-HTP and SSRIs increase the availability of serotonin in the brain, but they work in different ways. SSRIs prevent serotonin from being taken back up into the neurons, leaving more of it available in the synapses between neurons. In other words, SSRIs allow the brain to reuse the serotonin that is already there. By contrast, 5-HTP replensishes serotonin levels by biological synthesis of additional serotonin molecules, providing new stores of this necessary neurotransmitter in the brain. "
post #115 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 12:49 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrichardson1 View Post
"Both 5-HTP and SSRIs increase the availability of serotonin in the brain, but they work in different ways. SSRIs prevent serotonin from being taken back up into the neurons, leaving more of it available in the synapses between neurons. In other words, SSRIs allow the brain to reuse the serotonin that is already there. By contrast, 5-HTP replensishes serotonin levels by biological synthesis of additional serotonin molecules, providing new stores of this necessary neurotransmitter in the brain. "
Well then taking an SSRI and also this 5-HTP would be better huh. Yeah.

Thank you for this!!!

post #116 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 05:39 AM
Self Inflicted Perma Ban

Language: Fluent English and Dutch, some Anglo-Saxon and German. Currently studying Bokmal Norwegian.
Quote:
Well then taking an SSRI and also this 5-HTP would be better huh. Yeah.

Thank you for this!!!
No, it would actually be pretty dangerous to take both at the same time since there's a chance of Serotonin Syndrome, which is potentially fatal. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT use 5-htp in combination with any and all antidepressant medication. Neither should you use 5-htp within the first four weeks of the day you last took a dosage, no matter how small, of any and all brands and types of antidepressant medication.

But yes, I agree 5-htp is better and safer than medication (if it works for you in the first place, since it doesn't work for everyone). Lastly, some pointers:

-Build up the dosage every two to three days, going from the lowest dosage available to you (like 50mg or 100mg), until you reach 300mg per day, divided over three times per day.
-Do not use 5-htp for more than 12 weeks in a row. Lower your dosage to the minimal over the last week, then quit for one or two weeks before getting back on it to prevent tolerance.
-Try using Rhodiola Rosea Root or any other supplement that raises dopamine or stimulates the production of dopamine alongside the 5-htp, since you want to keep both chemicals up.

Ear byth egle eorla gehwylcun
Dhonne faestlice flaesc onginneth

Hraw colian hrusan ceosan
blac to gebeddan bleda gedreosath
Wynna gewitath wera geswicath
post #117 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 09:48 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
No, it would actually be pretty dangerous to take both at the same time since there's a chance of Serotonin Syndrome, which is potentially fatal. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT use 5-htp in combination with any and all antidepressant medication. Neither should you use 5-htp within the first four weeks of the day you last took a dosage, no matter how small, of any and all brands and types of antidepressant medication.

But yes, I agree 5-htp is better and safer than medication (if it works for you in the first place, since it doesn't work for everyone). Lastly, some pointers:

-Build up the dosage every two to three days, going from the lowest dosage available to you (like 50mg or 100mg), until you reach 300mg per day, divided over three times per day.
-Do not use 5-htp for more than 12 weeks in a row. Lower your dosage to the minimal over the last week, then quit for one or two weeks before getting back on it to prevent tolerance.
-Try using Rhodiola Rosea Root or any other supplement that raises dopamine or stimulates the production of dopamine alongside the 5-htp, since you want to keep both chemicals up.
So you can't take 5-HTP continually as you can take SSRIs? ****.

Oh thank you for the medical information kind sir, now please explain to me what dopamine is I don't quite understand

post #118 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 03:47 PM
Master of my domain

Quote:
So you can't take 5-HTP continually as you can take SSRIs? ****.

Oh thank you for the medical information kind sir, now please explain to me what dopamine is I don't quite understand
No it's not recommended to do so and I personally wouldn't recommend it either.

Dopamine is a hormone and it regulates a number of things in the brain - cognition and sexual arousal to just mention a few. As Metalunatic said, 5-htp depletes your dopamine levels over long time usage. If you saw my post a little higher up on this page you will understand why you don't want to get too little dopamine

post #119 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 03:50 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoslow View Post
No it's not recommended to do so and I personally wouldn't recommend it either.

Dopamine is a hormone and it regulates a number of things in the brain - cognition and sexual arousal to just mention a few. As Metalunatic said, 5-htp depletes your dopamine levels over long time usage. If you saw my post a little higher up on this page you will understand why you don't want to get too little dopamine
Ahh is that why I had alot of sexual arousal on zoloft cuz it had a little bit inhibition of dopamine?

post #120 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 03:59 PM
Master of my domain

Quote:
Ahh is that why I had alot of sexual arousal on zoloft cuz it had a little bit inhibition of dopamine?
Yeah zoloft can effect dopamine too and raise the amount somewhat, maybe that was what you experienced. But these ssri's are quirky.. some people lose their sexdrive altogether. One reason I'm not happy to try them out and stick to 5-htp Just need to balance it out.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page