5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) - Page 5 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #81 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 11:46 AM
SAS Member

I suffer from pretty bad social anxiety. I recently read a book called "The Mood Cure" by Julia Ross. You take a questionaire upfront about your symptoms of anxiety, depression, etc. and it recommends chapters in the book to read. Based on your answers, she recommends changes to your diet and also which amino acids to take for your symptoms. Since I have social anxiety, and most of the time have high stress levels and can be depressed at times. Her recommendation is to to take 5-HTC with GABA, along with a multivitamin, vitamin e, fish oil, vitamin d, calcium, magnesium, and b complex.

The 5-HTC will bring the seratonin levels in your brain back to normal and once your levels are back to normal, you can stop taking it. If you stop and you have a relapse in symptoms, you can continue to use it. She recommends taking a break from it once you finish each bottle and assess how you are feeling.

The Gaba helps control your stress levels by bringing your natural stress fighter (GABA) back to normal levels in your brain. Some people claim it cannot pass the blood barrier, but I have definitely noticed huge differences in both my stress levels and sleep quality when I take it.

I have had really good results combining 5-HTC with GABA. I am using vitamin shoppe generic 5-HTC and twin labs GABA plus. I take 50mg of 5-HTC and 500 mg of GABA 2-3 times daily, with the last one being near bedtime. I also take a probiotic, which can help with anxiety if you have digestion problems related to allergies. I definitely recommend trying these for social anxiety. It may not work for everyone, but it worked for me. Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 153 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 01:12 AM
SAS Member

I have a general anxiety disorder and also a pretty serious bipolar depression. I'm also a hypochondriac and have a general confrontation anxiety. I also have a very busy and demanding job which puts a lot of stress on me.

Struggling with alcoholism since my teens, was a heavy MDMA user in my teens and early twenties, and in recent years started to use cocaine more frequently as well. Obviously this causes more problems than it solves, but going into rehab would mean certain financial ruin for me, so the past two years I have been soldiering on. I'm also a heavy smoker and drink a lot of coffee. In the past I've tried Paroxetine in combination with therapy. Didn't solve anything.

I have reached the point where I have to drink myself to sleep, to not lay awake combating negative thoughts. It's safe to say I'm in a really bad place now, although I've been mostly successful in hiding this from most people.

Yesterday I tried 5-HTP for the first time.

I tried 90mg somewhere around 2:00pm. Got drowsy at first, that went away. However when I went grocery shopping I experienced a panic attack in the store and had to find a less crowded spot and do some breathing exercises to calm down. Haven't had one of those for quite some years so this clearly had something to do with the 5-HTP.

The rest of the day I felt uneasy, and kept eating small snacks.

Then before going to sleep I took another 70mg and slept like a baby. In the morning I woke up energized and generally "happy". Putting on some music I was actually dancing on the kitchen floor :P I'm not a "dancer" so this says a lot.

About and hour and 3 cups of coffee later I started feeling a bit uneasy again. Clearly I have to watch the dose with this stuff, I appear to react pretty heavily to it. The caffeine probably doesn't help, might be that the amount of caffeine I needed to get me going in the morning when I drink is too much for a completely sober morning.

I'll continue experimenting with it, I'll try 50mg before sleeping for a while. If nothing else, I'll have one less excuse for drinking if it allows me to sleep.

I'll let you know how that goes.

EDIT: I also took a hyperdose vitamine C (1gr, supposedly time-released) somewhere around the same time as the first dose.
post #83 of 153 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 03:05 PM
SAS Member

I've suffered from extreme social anxiety and depression all my life. I've been on a variety of anti-depressant and anxiety meds and am off all of them because I can't stand the side effects.

I read some great things about 5-htp and decided to give it a try.

I've been on 50 mg of 5 HTP, taken 3 times a day for 12 days now. I feel like my depression is getting worse. I also felt like jittery and jumpy as hell

I haven't taken any today, and I feel like I should stop taking it,
any suggestions ?

post #84 of 153 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 08:20 PM
SAS Member

5-htp takes away negative thoughts.
I don't like how it makes me not hungry. I want cookiez. nom nom
post #85 of 153 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 06:20 PM
SAS Member

It succeeded in nothing but killing my sex drive.
post #86 of 153 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 04:08 PM
SAS Member

100 mg of this made me psychotic. Please be warned if you have a family history of psychotic disorders!
post #87 of 153 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 08:15 PM
SAS Member

tried it a couple months ago but discontinued use due to zombie like symptoms and nightmares. who said 5htp didn't have side effects. but hey what works for sum don't work for others
post #88 of 153 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 06:41 PM
SAS Member

HTC???

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtysixandtwo View Post
I suffer from pretty bad social anxiety. I recently read a book called "The Mood Cure" by Julia Ross. You take a questionaire upfront about your symptoms of anxiety, depression, etc. and it recommends chapters in the book to read. Based on your answers, she recommends changes to your diet and also which amino acids to take for your symptoms. Since I have social anxiety, and most of the time have high stress levels and can be depressed at times. Her recommendation is to to take 5-HTC with GABA, along with a multivitamin, vitamin e, fish oil, vitamin d, calcium, magnesium, and b complex.

The 5-HTC will bring the seratonin levels in your brain back to normal and once your levels are back to normal, you can stop taking it. If you stop and you have a relapse in symptoms, you can continue to use it. She recommends taking a break from it once you finish each bottle and assess how you are feeling.

The Gaba helps control your stress levels by bringing your natural stress fighter (GABA) back to normal levels in your brain. Some people claim it cannot pass the blood barrier, but I have definitely noticed huge differences in both my stress levels and sleep quality when I take it.

I have had really good results combining 5-HTC with GABA. I am using vitamin shoppe generic 5-HTC and twin labs GABA plus. I take 50mg of 5-HTC and 500 mg of GABA 2-3 times daily, with the last one being near bedtime. I also take a probiotic, which can help with anxiety if you have digestion problems related to allergies. I definitely recommend trying these for social anxiety. It may not work for everyone, but it worked for me. Good Luck!

What is HTC?
This forum is about 5-Htp, are you talking about that, or a different supplement, just curious???
post #89 of 153 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 02:55 AM
SAS Member

Strong results: took for worst depression in years (SA is my more common problem)

50mg day 1 had no effect. 50mg day 2 had an amazing effect starting about an hour in. Was almost high by bed-time. Will probably take less next time (I used Now brand caplets from Amazon)

Awoke ~2am with terrible headache which persisted to the morning. Others online say eating helps the headache. On eating I threw up virtually immediately, but could keep food down after that and the headache mostly subsided

Give where I was with the depression it was worth the side effects. Some online say headaches only happen when initially taking 5-htp, other always get them from 5-htp. Either way, it was worth it considering how bad the depression was

Generally I used Phenibut and Alprazolam (prescribed) for SA. I try not to take Alprazolam for anything but the worst times. Phenibut is close to as good but apparently also should not be taken often

UPDATE after a couple of weeks: The headache only happened for the first couple of times. Sleeping is still a little difficult.. I tend to wake up several times in the night but only briefly. Effects are now more mild.. it's certainly helping though. Seems to take 1->2 hours after taking before really working.

Update: After about a month it stopped working for me. This is a shame as the side effects subsided. I am taking 100mg twice a day now and it not helping. Googling shows many other people who report it ceasing to help after about a month.
post #90 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 04:10 AM
SAS Member

This drug doesn't work if you take it long term. Body builds up a tolerance. It has no effect after that. Personal experience.
post #91 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 05:00 AM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
Yeah, in my experience, this stuff is useless. I took a whole bottle (not all at once, of course) and it didn't do anything.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #92 of 153 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 08:47 AM
SAS Member

I bought a bottle o 5-HTP (recomends 2 pills a day, each pill 200mg) and looking at the ingredients it actually says it contains (for every diary dose of 2 pills) Tryptophan (400mg) Griffonia Simplicifolia (20mg) and Vitamin B6 (0.4mg). Is this nomal for a bottle o 5-HTP to have this ingredients or shouldn't it be composed of just... 5-HTP? I've started taking 1 pill for 3 days now and it has done some effect (altough I feel a little jumpy 2 hours after) but I am starting to worry if I paid for L-Tryptophan instead of 5-HTP...
post #93 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 08:51 AM
SAS Member

Is it only for depression?

Is 5-htp only for depression?

What about 5-htp for a Natural Appetite Suppressant? ? Is it working well to outsmart your craving? Has anyone tried these 5-HTP before?

http://goo.gl/isFbXW

thank you very much!!
post #94 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 11:40 AM
We all deserve something.

I have SAD and depression, and at one point I tried 5-HTP a couple of years ago, I took it for a couple months and it didn't seem to do anything useful for me.

We are
All that we are
Holding on until we fall apart.
post #95 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 08:30 AM
SAS Member

I'm taking 5-htp right now but I also take L-tyrosine (at a different time of day) I read that if you only take 5-htp you could deplete your dopamine, or only take l-tyrosine you could deplete your serotonin. Not sure if it's true but it makes sense to me, because when I'm on a DNRI I feel emotionally flat and when I take a SNRI I'm really unmotivated.

The first 2 days I took 100 mg of 5-htp, I hadn't started the l-tyrosine yet, I felt high. It felt great but not something I want to feel every day - exactly like a small dose of ecstasy. (I would never take that anymore, I'm just comparing the effects) I was happy, relaxed, patient, talkative, and confident but I was a little wired and sweaty. On the third day I didn't have these side effects, I just felt a little more "normal" than usual - a little more motivated, less tired, less appetite and a little nausea and smaller but still noticeable influences on happiness, confidence, reduced anxiety. I also had crazy dreams and hard time sleeping.

Once I added in the l-tyrosine on the 4th day, the crazy dreams went away and I could sleep through the night. I felt very awake during the day but relaxed and sleepy at night. This has long been an issue for me as I usually feel tired all day and awake at night. I also feel a little more hungry (but still less than before) than when I was just taking 5-htp but this could also be from subsiding initial effects of the 5-htp.

So far I like the effects of the two combined, but it's not perfect. Now that I've been taking it for a week, I'm planning on taking it only a few times a week to keep my levels up but not become tolerant. I will update this post in a month or two.
post #96 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 03:47 AM
SAS Member

I have been using 5-HTP for the past few years (50mg tablet per day), especially during the winter months to help with my seasonal affective disorder, and overall it has been great. Side effects were definitely there in the first couple of weeks but subsided quickly.

Recently though it feels like the effect is not as good as it was when I started taking it. I have switched over to taking the 5-HTP patches instead, which are much better for me as the 5-HTP lasts steadily throughout the day and I can notice the effect for much longer compared to the tablets. I don't bother taking 5-HTP with anything else like l-tyrosine, but I try to keep my diet as varied as possible and get lots of exercise - this affects my mood tremendously.
post #97 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 06:19 PM
SAS Member

Hi,
I am also experimenting with food supplements ti cure my depression and brain fog. I am using l-tyrosine, l-tryptophan, b6, b complex, c and a multi vitamin mineral. Depression has gone down but so has my libido. Is there a solution this problem?
post #98 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 04:33 PM
SAS Member

I've been using 5-HTP on and off for 6 years and am surprised by some of the personal accounts in this thread. It clearly differs from person to person, but you need to try it for at least a couple of weeks to make an assessment, whereas many here are writing about it after less than a day or so.

The Good:

- Improves mild depression
- Alleviates negative thoughts and thinking patterns
- Enhances positive and fun experiences
- Improves sleep and sleep quality
- Improves efficiency, decision making and motivation

The Bad:

- Higher doses can lead to mania for some people
- Mixing with any other supplement, drug or medication is highly unpredictable, and can lead to worsened symptoms
- After a while it's common to get a mild 'jaw grind' similar to but less intense than experienced from the recreational drug 'speed'
- Can heighten emotions
- Can lead to dependency

I've taken this under two different conditions: avoiding a comedown after taking recreational drugs & as a mild-antidepressant

If used appropriately it can be beneficial for both. 5-HTP can take several days to start working, and can continue to work for up to 2-3 weeks after stopping. Usually the effects are felt to begin or stop either side of a few days of taking.

It's important to understand that 5-HTP is definitely NOT a placebo. Anyone who writes such a thing without researching beyond their own experience should not be taken seriously. It can change a person's state of mind very significantly and is extremely different from things like St John's Wort and magnesium. There are numerous clinical trials to back this up.

For mild depression and SA:

As seratonin influences the nature of our thoughts more than our fight or flight system, 5-HTP may help with SA but only in conjunction with other efforts. It isn't an answer unto itself. It'll make you feel better about the situation you're in, but it's up to you to change your situation if it involves anxiety. Going through changes involving stepping out of a comfort zone or practicing different anxiety techniques can be brutal and depressing, and something like 5-HTP can serve as a shield to any negative thoughts that follow. It keeps your thoughts in a more positive ecosystem.

5-HTP isn't going to fix anything unless you're willing to put in the effort, but it will help by making you feel better while going through that effort.

After lengthy experimentation this cycle has given me the best results:

Start
100mg morning and night for 2 days, then
50mg every morning and night for 2 weeks, then
50mg every morning for 2 weeks, then
50mg every second day for 2 weeks, then
50mg every third day for 2 weeks, then
Stop

For recreational drug use and avoiding comedowns:

If you're planning on taking a serotonin affecting drug like speed, MDMA or cocaine, 5-HTP can drastically improve your mental recovery. Build it up over the week beforehand by taking at least 100mg a day, but take nothing 10 hours before or after dropping the party stuff otherwise your body may experience seratonin overload syndrome, which isn't pretty. One poster in this thread unwittingly described such an experience.

After 10 hours have passed take one higher dose of 200-300mg, then 100mg daily for the rest of the week.

When I used to do party drugs this all but elimated the comedown effect, but you still need to recover from the hangover and sleep debt.

If you happen to get over SA or have a period without it, just mixing 5-HTP and alcohol will turn you into the life of the party. Almost to the point where it's a light MDMA supplement, so long as you're an intense person already.
post #99 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 05:03 PM
Fighting demons!

5htp doesn't heighten emotion. Serotonin doesn't heighten emotion, where did you get that from! In fact serotonin reduces emotions sensitivity. That's why people who are in love have lower serotonin levels.

Rhodiola rosea + 5htp = Heavenly bliss!
post #100 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 05:51 PM
SAS Member

You're right that part wasn't clear.

Serotonin doesn't heighten emotions, however misuse of 5-HTP and serotonin enhancers can. I'm referring to 'heightening' as being indicative of an imbalance rather than a positive affect. It's not unusual for misuse of 5-HTP to lead to increased emotional instability and intensity.

Misuse refers to mixing with other supplements/medications and taking irregular or high dosages.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page