5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) - Page 4 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #61 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 06:27 AM
SAS Member

5htp mixed reviews?

I've had anxiety for 39 of my 55 years...Tried all the drugs...but have stuck with Klonopin mostly over the last 7 years...I want to add something that might reduce anxiety and help me sleep so I can taper the Klonopin. Is 5htp a possiblity or is it just a waste of time as most naturals? Per comment of post out of Fla about Maginusim , B6...what is the right combination and types of these take in pill form...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 11:40 AM
SAS Member

5 htp is another thing I take daily but has/had no noticeable effect on me, even if I attack dose it (300mg say). add that to the list along with Phenibut, Valerian tabs, St Johns Wort and Etizolam. I must be immune.

Endure and Survive.
post #63 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:49 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Devilish
Never felt anything out of 5-HTP.I tried NOW and sublingual pills up to 200mg per day(sometimes all at once).Absolutely no effect in any aspect even with 100mg B6 sometimes.

post #64 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Man on the Moon

Language: SQL
My Mood: Lonely
This stuff has been great for me. I had been taking inositol for a while and that had been helping, but the stomach cramps it was producing became too much to handle so I had to try something else. The fact that inositol modulates serotonin activity in the CNS suggests that my anxiety/depression must be a serotonin issue. Therefore, I first tried out some L-tryptophan since that is the natural amino acid that the body metabolizes into serotonin. However, I noticed barely any effect from this (besides possibly placebo). After taking it, I read that people who suffer from lactose intolerance (which includes me) have trouble absorbing tryptophan, which may be the root of my serotonin problem... The metabolic pathway of serotonin production in the body is: L-tryptophan --> 5-HTP --> serotonin... therefore, I decided to skip the first step by trying to supplement with 5-HTP next.

I've been taking 50 mg of 5-HTP for a couple weeks now and it has helped me even more than the inositol was and there have been no side effects at all (except for some slight nausea the first night I took it)! It lifts depression and obsessive thoughts marvelously. It doesn't completely eliminate social anxiety but it helps reduce it noticeably. It also does the same with my trichotillomania. 50 mg is a pretty low dose, so I'm guessing that if I increase the dosage, the effects may become even stronger. My advice to anyone taking this is to take it before bed (great sleep aid) on an empty stomach for maximum absorption. Also, make sure you are getting an adequate supply of vitamin B6, magnesium and zinc throughout the day, since these are vital for the 5-HTP to serotonin conversion.
post #65 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 06:42 PM
~ in the ether ~

I take a 100mg before bed, & before work. Helps take the edge off before work, & helps me relax before bed.
During the day, I also take ashwagandha, & suntheanine, B complex, & lately have added picamilon to that list...
Quote:
The fact that inositol modulates serotonin activity in the CNS
I wasn't aware of that, I take that also.
post #66 of 153 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Man on the Moon

Language: SQL
My Mood: Lonely
Phew, I'll tell you what... if you think that you notice an effect from 5-HTP after taking it for a while but are not sure if it's just placebo, try stopping for a while and that'll show you if it's placebo or not. I had taken 50-100 mg daily for about a month then just stopped for about a week or so recently... boy, did I ever get anxious/depressed/crazy/the works! I started taking it again a few days ago and I feel like a million bucks!! My advice is that if you take this for a while and want to go off of it, definitely do not stop cold turkey. Taper off of it as slowly as possible to make it easier of a transition for yourself. I was feeling so unbelievably sad and hopeless when I stopped cold turkey
post #67 of 153 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 08:37 PM
SAS Member

I got off the dreaded prescription Xanax by switching to Tryptophan and 5-HTP.

I took the combination of 200mg of Tryptophan and 300mg of 5-HTP every night about an hour or so before bed.

(I was only taking the smallest dose of Xanax before that, but it still bugged me to need a prescription med to go to sleep).

So for several months I've been swallowing 200mg of Tryptophan and 300mg of 5-HTP every night to get to sleep. I always felt too anxious to get to sleep, and if something happened (like the cat woke me up), I could never get back to sleep.

I felt better; less chronic pain (from back injury and physically abusive childhood), I think I was in an OK mood. Better than usual most of the time anyway. Dreaming didn't bother me; when I dream I always find it pleasurable even if it is a bit scary. I like to analyze my dreams. As far as appetite, it seems to make little difference, maybe hunger has lightened up a bit... Overall: thank heaven I can sleep through the night, woo hoo!

HOWEVER... there's that "big but" again, Pee Wee... now I am having heart palpitations. I come up the stairs and I'm panting and feel like lying down. I do not like that, rather disconcerting. I'm only a few pounds overweight (10 at the most but hey, I'm in my sixties now), and I'm pretty active. So I'm going to try JUST Tryptophan tonight and see if I can sleep. Wish me luck. I'll let you know...

Last edited by jcsmuse; 10-30-2012 at 08:47 PM. Reason: clarity
post #68 of 153 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 02:21 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarslippers View Post
wow after i read the risks, damage to heart valve O__O uhh no lol... I can handle feeling tired and what not but, a risk like that is too great.. I think I'll stick w/ tea until I can find something else.. but thanks for the info.
There is no significant risk to one's Heart Valves and I have this information on good authority from my wife's cadiologist and surgeon who repaired her mitral valve.
post #69 of 153 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 02:44 PM
DLB
SAS Member

I have tried 5-HTP a few times now. I have tried tryptophan also. I have tried a number of SSRI's and SNRI's as well. I am really sensitive to all serotonin related medicines/supplements. I can always only tolerate a very low dose.

I was on Lexapro for some time and at low doses, found it helpful for anxiety. I was taking 5mg/day. I would get the 10 mg tablets and had to divide them. If I took 10mg, I just wanted to sleep and it took away the little drive that I have to do things and also seemed to make my poor memory even worse. For a while I took 5mg twice daily, which also seemed OK, but sometimes I would feel more lethargic than I wanted.

The smallest 5-HTP dose I can find is 50mg capsules. The few times I took a capsule, it was near bedtime. The next day I was exhausted and needed to sleep, but did have a warm, almost happy feeling that accompanied the lethargy. I could not continue because I lost me capacity to perform my employment and family responsibilities. I just wanted to sleep.

Thanks to this thread, I am now going to try opening the capsule and cutting the dose in half and see what happens.

Tryptophan resulted in similar effect as 5-HTP but seemed to give me a higher lethargy to feel-good ratio, making it less desirable than 5-HTP for me.

I will try to remember to post back my results from dividing the 5-HTP capsule.
post #70 of 153 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 04:32 PM
DLB
SAS Member

I give up!

I split the capsule and took roughly 25mg for the last two days. While I am somewhat less tired than the first day when I took 50mg, I am feeling worse than before taking 5-HTP. I know it can take up to a month to steady state, but I can't take it anymore. I feel depression setting in. I'm grouchy, my body is also aching and I feel physically weak. It feels kind of like flu symptoms, but I have no nausea, stuffiness, sore throat, or temperature.
post #71 of 153 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 06:13 AM
SAS Member

Dear friends im 33 m from India, i am on antidepressants for last 12-13 years for general anxiety disorder,depression,ocd,the med im taking is as follows-fluvoxamine- 150 mg/day,venlafluvoxamine xr-150mg/day,& clonazepam 1.5 mg,these med i m taking regularly for last 8 years,it irritates when i think of these,some times i think im living dual personality as people in my surrounding except my family members do not know about this when ever i think of my future with these med, i feel very bad,i m getting tired day by day,my immune system has became very poor,some times with other disease i get confused,beside this i am also suffering from irritable bowel syndrome which keep my my stomach upset,i m also worried specially about clonazepam which im taking 1.5mg daily for sleeping,u people can better understand me, i want to get rid of all these specially clonazepam,i have a little daughter of 3 yr age, i do not see my future very bright,you people were talking about NAG, turmeric,slack seed oil will it work for me also,kindly advice me.
post #72 of 153 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 11:39 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep215 View Post
Dear friends im 33 m from India, i am on antidepressants for last 12-13 years for general anxiety disorder,depression,ocd,the med im taking is as follows-fluvoxamine- 150 mg/day,venlafluvoxamine xr-150mg/day,& clonazepam 1.5 mg,these med i m taking regularly for last 8 years,it irritates when i think of these,some times i think im living dual personality as people in my surrounding except my family members do not know about this when ever i think of my future with these med, i feel very bad,i m getting tired day by day,my immune system has became very poor,some times with other disease i get confused,beside this i am also suffering from irritable bowel syndrome which keep my my stomach upset,i m also worried specially about clonazepam which im taking 1.5mg daily for sleeping,u people can better understand me, i want to get rid of all these specially clonazepam,i have a little daughter of 3 yr age, i do not see my future very bright,you people were talking about NAG, turmeric,slack seed oil will it work for me also,kindly advice me.
I think, in my opinion, you should try some probiotics. It helps me with anxiety and it should help you with IBS. Digestive system is close related to nervous system so might contribute to your anxiety level.
Everytime I drink alcohol (not to much) it gaves me anxiety. probiotics helps a lot.
I am also on GABA treatment (twice a day) + 1 valerian caps before go to sleep. I can say it saved my life because 2 months ago i was sure I'll never heal myself again. They are both a life saver in anxiety. They also helped me stop taking lexotan.
I had panics attacks for no reason, anxiety, chronic pain(stomach pain), felt I had no air and many more.
All I'm telling you its from my experience.
post #73 of 153 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 11:57 PM
SAS Member

I need to get myself some 5 Htp again cause I think it was working and it usually takes awhile to work and I liked the affects it had. I dont go for precription and non prescription drugs cause there are side effects and then you have to deal with that too. I recommend either St Johns Wort or the 5 Htp , maybe vallerian roon or the passion flower.
post #74 of 153 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 09:20 AM
SAS Member

I don't think it takes more then 1 day to feel the 5HTP effect.
The thing is that I tried 5HTP before and i dindnt feel well. But after two months i tried it again but in combination with GABA pills and valerian and now I fell great.
In my opinion GABA pills and Valerian does the same thing, it boost GABA which in turn helps with anxiety.
5HTP gives you a happiness feeling (but also Drowsiness), but as I am an anxious person if I take it without GABA it gives me some anxiety. Maybe they work somehow in balance.
I tried St Johns Wort for 2 months and no noticeable results.
post #75 of 153 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 10:56 AM
SAS Member

I started taking 5-htp four days ago. I started with 100mg x 3 per day. I felt like it was too much. Like my head was weird, insomnia, but I felt that something was going on. So I started to take only 100mg in the morning to see. I don't know if it's placebo but I feel a little bit much calmier and I'm thinking less negative thoughts and much relax. I like that it cut downs your appetite so I eat less and it helps me lose the weight!
post #76 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 04:38 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena_SAS View Post
(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by clovereater
Social Anxiety Background
Had SA and depression most of my life. Got worse in adolesence. I'm now 28. Things have improved significantly in the past 2 years. Amino acids are a big part of my treatment now.

Other Treatments
None at the moment but in the past: Lexapro Xanax

Treatment Experience
Only works for me with good quality brand like Jarrow and with doses of 200mg or more. Takes about 2 hours to work for me. Important to take with a good quality multivitamin and mineral.
How many times a day do you take 200mg of Jarrow amino acids? Is it a combination or are there specific individual ones?
post #77 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 04:02 AM
GrandCustodian of Synosis

Nasty Stuff. In most cases, Its a myth that increasing serotonin is good. A very well established and popular myth at that.
post #78 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 07:57 AM
SAS Member

5-HTP Max

Has anybody any experience of taking 5-HTP Max? http://what-is-5htp.com

Presumably they are claiming it is stronger and more effective...but I am unwilling to try it without some independent feedback?
post #79 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 08:29 AM
SAS Member

I tried 5-htp from now foods and it didnt have any effect on me...I was suprised it didnt work because i read so many experiences on forums that said it works well and many people felt relief.
post #80 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 08:09 PM
GrandCustodian of Synosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin1 View Post
I tried 5-htp from now foods and it didnt have any effect on me...I was suprised it didnt work because i read so many experiences on forums that said it works well and many people felt relief.
Taking serotonin precursors surely does not help state of mind in any way. It would just cause a mental pressure in the head & nasty unpleasant serotonin over-load feeling. Taking dopamine precursor on the other hand works for a minority of people & isnt really much a treatment for anything but parkinsons. Taking a GABA precursor doesnt really have much an effect on GABA because its a typical amino acid abundant in the diet anyway, glutamine, and also excitatory as well. And there really is no such thing as taking an endorphin precursor because those are complex peptides not small molecules. In short there is no precursor path to treatment.

Im surprised that anyone would report anything works at all, unless it was phenibut, benzos, opioids or stablon. It is very mysterious to me that there would be any other reports such as for 5-HTP, St Johns Wort, Vitamins, Valerian, Kava and other herbs. I cannot fathom how any such reports are able exist. To me, it is absolutely shocking.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page