5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Permanently Banned

Uh oh. I haven't taken 5-htp in while. Just took more than I've ever taken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 04:48 PM
SAS Member

I usually take 100 mg but yesterday i decided to take 200 mg I felt sick to my stomach and had a feeling of been high or disoriented.
post #23 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 01:56 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe120 View Post
I usually take 100 mg but yesterday i decided to take 200 mg I felt sick to my stomach and had a feeling of been high or disoriented.
K, yeah. I took way too much. I feel high, disorientated and depressed. I've been stumbling around in a cloud. I guess we just drink lots of water and wait this out?

post #24 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 03:24 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saara View Post
K, yeah. I took way too much. I feel high, disorientated and depressed. I've been stumbling around in a cloud. I guess we just drink lots of water and wait this out?
It wears off after 1 or 2 hours don't worry, It's a weird feeling like you're in a cloud like you said..... But for me It didn't made me depressed made me feel happy, What kind of dosage did you take?
post #25 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 07:51 PM
SAS Member

I've taken 100mg for a week and every day I've been having suicidal thoughts and been extremely irritable. I'll continue taking them for a little while see if it's related and check back.
post #26 of 153 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 08:50 PM
SAS Member

I've tried this for a few months. It makes me happy to wake up in the morning.

“As long as you want it so bad, it’s not going to happen – the only way it’s gonna work is if it doesn’t matter…”
- Wristcutters: A Love Story

post #27 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 01:58 PM
SAS's koala

I tried it for awhile and it did a pretty good job , but tolerance builds up very quickly and I was taking up to three 100 mg's a day and still felt nothing , so to me its best used as an on and off thing and not something to take daily

We are sex bob-omb and we're here to make you think about death and get sad and stuff!!
post #28 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 04:35 PM
SAS Member

Yeah, it's not something that should be used continuously. I used to take it everyday then I stopped and then started taking it 1-2x a week and it still has the same effect as when I was taking it everyday.

“As long as you want it so bad, it’s not going to happen – the only way it’s gonna work is if it doesn’t matter…”
- Wristcutters: A Love Story

post #29 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 10:02 PM
SAS Member

I just started taking 5-htp today. I did my best to research the dosage. I was told to start off at 100mg.. unfortunately it's initial effect has not been great. I feel more immobile than I do when I'm under an anxiety attack. Perhaps it's WAY too high of a dosage to start at. I feel trying the 25 mg may be a lot better for me.. Anything than what I feel right now!! (more anxious than I originally was!! )
post #30 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 02:13 AM
SAS Member

took it once and puked when i was out doing stuff haha.
never tried it again after
post #31 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 05:48 AM
SAS Member

I bet a placebo pill would work just as well as 5THP does
post #32 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 09:16 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popularity View Post
I bet a placebo pill would work just as well as 5THP does
Yea for real, didn't do shiet
post #33 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 06:45 PM
SAS Member

This stuff had a really weird effect on me. I went from sleeping 10-12 hours a night and not being able to wake up to waking up every couple of hours. I could go back to sleep once or twice, but I would wake up after 5 hours of sleep. Then I would feel more energy than I usually do, but it would wear off quickly and I would be soooo drained and tired like I had stayed up all night, and sleep another 4-5 hours.

I also kept feeling like bugs were crawling on me. In fact, I'd wake up panicking, thinking there was a roach on me. It was really weird and not fun...

BUT it definitely did help my depression. I stopped it though because I couldn't deal with the side effects.
post #34 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 09:02 AM
SAS Member

Been using 5-htp for two months now and 50mg in the morning and 50mg in the afternoon works great. Works great for my depression and cut out the obsessive negative thoughts. Can't say I feel a whole lot different socially, however my SAD is mild and does not prevent me from functioning.
post #35 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 06:20 PM
SAS Member

Hi,
I need to go back to medication for GAD/SAD after a couple of years without it. I'm a uni student so I am concerned about not being able to concentrate on studies. How does 5 htp go with concentration/memory recall and stuff like that?
post #36 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 01:32 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycitizen View Post
Hi,
I need to go back to medication for GAD/SAD after a couple of years without it. I'm a uni student so I am concerned about not being able to concentrate on studies. How does 5 htp go with concentration/memory recall and stuff like that?
If I recall correctly, it didn't seem to affect my memory or concentration. It did make me more sleepy though which could make it hard to stay awake and study.
post #37 of 153 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 09:03 PM
SAS Member

Social Anxiety Background
Had SA my whole life up until around 16. I was in "the swing" of things and doing so well I enlisted in the military. The night I was leaving for basic training a culmination of events along with stress of leaving triggered a panic attack. My symptoms that were non existent were back full force from that point.

Other Treatments
Tried a supplement called Neuromax which has GABA, St Johns, 5-htp and other vitamins and herbs. Very effective but same results as below.

Treatment Experience
Works great for a week or two. Feel that the mental block I have goes away, and confidence is boosted. Overall mood is improved. After a week or two of taking it, I have experienced a much greater form of depression than usual. Id say my depression went from very mild to pretty severe. After weaning myself off it I feel all better again.
post #38 of 153 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 04:11 PM
SAS Member

I tried this a while back. It made me very sleepy. I felt like no matter how much I slept it wasn't enough. Not good.
post #39 of 153 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 04:22 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackBauer View Post
Social Anxiety Background
Had SA my whole life up until around 16. I was in "the swing" of things and doing so well I enlisted in the military. The night I was leaving for basic training a culmination of events along with stress of leaving triggered a panic attack. My symptoms that were non existent were back full force from that point.

Other Treatments
Tried a supplement called Neuromax which has GABA, St Johns, 5-htp and other vitamins and herbs. Very effective but same results as below.

Treatment Experience
Works great for a week or two. Feel that the mental block I have goes away, and confidence is boosted. Overall mood is improved. After a week or two of taking it, I have experienced a much greater form of depression than usual. Id say my depression went from very mild to pretty severe. After weaning myself off it I feel all better again.
I am new to this site, and was interested in reading about your medication, plus the herbal stuff. What did you actually take? Have suffered from anxiety and depression for many years, and have been on citalapram for about 3 of those. Don't really feel it does that much good, but when I tried to reduce and wane myself off, went way, way down.

Also suffer from Tourettes Syndrome - that is my biggest problem, but it has friends who come along with, ie depression and anxiety - feel I am in a no win situation.
post #40 of 153 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 03:01 AM
SAS Member

To people saying placebo pill would work as well as 5htp I have to disagree. I started taking this and didn't think it would do anything. Anyways been taking it for a couple days as I had a couple days off school and I noticed when people were talking to me I was less anxious I was in a better mood and I had a convo with this guy I usually get intimidated by and can't talk to the only explanation is the 5htp as usually when Ive had a couple days off school I am much more anxious not less and I couldn't talk to him at all last week and was even blushing when he talked to me. Anyway I guess itd work for some people and not for others but from what ive seen so far it works very well for myself.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page