5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan)

502K views 156 replies 108 participants last post by  savavdpeas 
#1 ·
#2 ·
5-HTP: All Natural

(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by radiohead
Social Anxiety Background
I've suffered from GAD/SA for approximately 5 or so years now. I have general anxiety/depression, and also pretty severe social anxiety that prevents me from doing every day things. When around strangers or even people I know most of the time: nervousness, shaky/restlessness, increased heart rate and blood pressure, trouble saying what I mean/think, difficulty maintaining eye contact and basically destroying my chances at a real relationship.

Other Treatments
I have tried many different medicines, as well as some counseling(group and individual). I took Zoloft and Lexapro before, they didn't do much for me. I also did Lamictal(Lamitrogine) 200mg for awhile and had some very positive results with little side effects. I plan on maybe going back on Lamictal.

Treatment Experience
5-HTP, from initial experiences, is a helpful supplement in general anxiety and social anxiety. I will have to recommend you really pay attention to it's instructions though, otherwise you could feel adverse side effects like I've read.

-Only take 50mg's the first 3-5 days
-Take the pill after/while eating a meal
-You need to wait 3-5 days each time you want to increase your dose, and only increase 50mg at a time

If you follow these important methods in taking 5-HTP I believe you can have successful results from it. After a few days(still at 50mg) I have noticed many things:

-Increased talking to family
-Better overall mood
-Fall asleep quicker and sleep heavier
-Slightly less general anxiety overall

I would recommend that anyone try this. I really think it might be as effective with Serotonin as even SSRI's(just my opinion of course). I wake up feeling better than usual since being on 5-HTP, which is a big lift for me as I have always struggled with mornings. I've also been less anxious overall, so I think it really helps GAD as well. Follow the directions on taking it and positive things can come out of it.

PS: In combination with L-Tyrosine(for dopamine/norepinephrine) I have had even better results. All natural too.​

#3 ·
5 HTP often reduces anxiety, insomnia, depression

Posted by Steven Sponaugle
Treatment Experience
Florida Detox and Wellness Institute routinely measures neurotransmitter levels or metabolites, in patients. The vast majority of our chemically dependent patients have deficient or suboptimal levels of 5 HIAA, the Serotonin breakdown product. We can usually increase Serotonin levels dramatically, using 5 HTP, magnesium and Pyridoxal 5 Phosphate, P5P.

Most Americans and practitioners are unaware that about 50 percent of adult Americans are lactose intolerant and lactose intolerance interferes with conversion of l tryptophan to Serotonin. This helps explain why Serotonin deficiency, depression, anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder and insomnia are so prevalent. Magnesium is necessary for conversion of tryptophan to Serotonin and magnesium is the most common nutritional deficiency in the US, due mainly to impaired absorption more than inadequate intake.

Many of our patients are amazed to learn how relaxed they become and how well they sleep, after receiving Magnesium Sulfate IVs. The reduction of anxiety and insomnnia from intravenous magnesium, is difficult to describe in words, compared to personally experiencing the magnesium infusion.​

#136 ·

Posted by Steven Sponaugle
Treatment Experience
Florida Detox and Wellness Institute routinely measures neurotransmitter levels or metabolites, in patients. The vast majority of our chemically dependent patients have deficient or suboptimal levels of 5 HIAA, the Serotonin breakdown product. We can usually increase Serotonin levels dramatically, using 5 HTP, magnesium and Pyridoxal 5 Phosphate, P5P.

Most Americans and practitioners are unaware that about 50 percent of adult Americans are lactose intolerant and lactose intolerance interferes with conversion of l tryptophan to Serotonin. This helps explain why Serotonin deficiency, depression, anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder and insomnia are so prevalent. Magnesium is necessary for conversion of tryptophan to Serotonin and magnesium is the most common nutritional deficiency in the US, due mainly to impaired absorption more than inadequate intake.

Many of our patients are amazed to learn how relaxed they become and how well they sleep, after receiving Magnesium Sulfate IVs. The reduction of anxiety and insomnnia from intravenous magnesium, is difficult to describe in words, compared to personally experiencing the magnesium infusion.​
You all need to drop the whole Seretonin focus and so on.
A biochemical imbalance has never been found in a human brain
and there has never been evidence found to prove that a lack of seretonin
is what causes "depression" (feeling down).
Even if "depression" (feeling down) was found to be the corresponding
effect of there being a lack of seretonin in the brain then all psychiatric drugs
would make the issue worse and disrupt normal function elsewhere in the brain
and body due to them being toxic!

If you ever want the FACTS about psychiatry and the pharmaceutical companies
then study Peter Breggin MD - The leader in the field.

Even all of the labels which psychiatrists and pharmaceutical companies have assigned to normal human responses to the various issues of peoples lives i.e. depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, bi-polar and so on are INVENTIONS!
Even 'Social Anxiety' is just that 'anxiety' which can be overcome with proper thinking strategies.

Regulate your body and mind with organic nutrition - living plant foods, and proper thinking strategies.
On a physical level it's nutrients which causes healthy cell growth, strong immune system and so on. The body has no need for any pharmaceutical chemical - if it did they would grow on trees-FACT! :)

#4 ·
5-htp

Posted by clovereater
Had SA and depression most of my life. Got worse in adolesence. I'm now 28. Things have improved significantly in the past 2 years. Amino acids are a big part of my treatment now.

Other Treatments
None at the moment but in the past: Lexapro Xanax

Treatment Experience
Only works for me with good quality brand like Jarrow and with doses of 200mg or more. Takes about 2 hours to work for me. Important to take with a good quality multivitamin and mineral.​

#76 ·

Posted by clovereater
Had SA and depression most of my life. Got worse in adolesence. I'm now 28. Things have improved significantly in the past 2 years. Amino acids are a big part of my treatment now.

Other Treatments
None at the moment but in the past: Lexapro Xanax

Treatment Experience
Only works for me with good quality brand like Jarrow and with doses of 200mg or more. Takes about 2 hours to work for me. Important to take with a good quality multivitamin and mineral.
How many times a day do you take 200mg of Jarrow amino acids? Is it a combination or are there specific individual ones?

#5 ·
100 mg 5-htp

Posted by greenveganphobic
17 years of social anxiety. Incapable of forming relationships. When talked to, I experience: muscle tension, stuttering or talking too fast, sweating, face flushing, rapid heart beat, mind blanking out at simple questions,

Other Treatments
Used lexapro for 12 months. Gained 35 lbs. Stopped taking it and my weight went back to normal about 9 months later. Didn't really seem to make me 'normal' enough anyway.

Treatment Experience
If you are going to try this, do it with a little bit of caution. The other day, I took a 50 mg tablet with water a couple of hours before bed. I was okay. The next morning, I took 2 - 50 mg tablets with water(empty stomach) and grew nauseas in 90 minutes and had to take pepto bismol extra strength. I had to throw up first, though. I'm letting my stomach heal a bit before using it again. I'll continue with just 50 mg, 3 times a day.​

#6 ·
not sure gonna try again

Posted by Danny
lots of anxety for years

Other Treatments
lots of stuff that did not work or made me worse..

Treatment Experience
it seemed to work the first few days and than give me more anxiety and than did nothing i could notice so i quit taking it after a few days.. but i may not have given it a chance so im gonna try again.​

#7 · (Edited)
Social Anxiety Background- I havent had a relationship in 10 years. I had bad luck before that too. I ve had anxiety since I can remember and in highschool. Iit got even worse and also after Highschool, it continued. Ive had bad social skills. I had A racing heart going upstairs in HS. Later I was always worrying to much in my early 20s. I was on Prozac for a short while. Mid 20s still problems with social phobia. I was a hypocondriac. I was on prozac to paxil. had 2 small relationships regardless, cause they were forced. They didnt last long. no chemicals. Into late 20s still same thing. Afraid of what people will think of me. early 30s same thing.

other treatments- I went through the dore program which treats ADHD, Dyslexia and improves coordination , attention, organizing. I am now doing LENS, neurofeedback electrodes to distinguish any signs of ADHD , bad social skills. I m switching between 5 HTP and St Johns wort. both same effects.

Treatment results - Im still taking 5 HTP, other times St johns wort. I still have problems with patience and stress. I have completed Dore program with about 9 visits. and I got somewhat better then before. Im still continuing Neurofeedback to delete ADHD. Im on 7 to 8 visits now. Im better then i was 4 to 5 years ago. Im still working on social skills. Most of people i worked with in 1996 I lost contact with. I still have lack of trust in people.
Steve

#8 ·
Hi

Social Anxiety and General Anxiety disorder. Some Aspergers and Autism.

I tried 5htp

Initially 50mg in the evening. I felt it reduced my "startle response" and that I slept better but it didn't decrease my anxiety.

I increased the dose to 100mg (50mg morning and 50mg evening) and didn't notice any extra effects

I then increased to 150mg (50mg morning and 100mg evening) I got really bad depression, social withdrawal, apathy and suicidal thoughts. Thank goodness I knew what was causing it!

I have now dropped back to 50mg at night only. I think this is the best dose for me.

So, it didn't help much with anxiety but a bit with the sleeping and it's nice not to "startle" so easily!

#9 ·
I took 5-HTP a long time, but it doesn't really decrease my anxiety,
Only thing that helps is taking an ''oxazepam'' it makes me really calm when i have a panic attack, but its better to fix it on a natural way, like doing breathing exercises or listen to relaxation tapes, or find distraction.

I didn't find a med which made my anxiety decrease, i tried alot, i tried anafranil, seroxat, 5-HTP, xanax, but they all didn't help me.

I think it's better to get over it, on a natural way :roll
we have the strenght , not the meds ;)

#10 ·
I like it very much. . It will put you in a better mood and make you a nicer person to be around.

The down side is you don't get consistent results every time you use it. I guess if I started keeping notes on when I took it, what other vitamins I took with it etc it might help me understand this inconsistency. There also can be a groggy hangover effect in the morning sometimes.

It improves my mood but it does not stop the social anxiety. What it does stop is the ruminating of negative thoughts. The realization that it was capable of blocking these thoughts was very surprising.

Now I've just said it blocks negative thoughts but the other night I took 100 mg and instead of falling asleep right away. I didn't sleep at all. I have no idea why it didn't work that night but I'm sure if I kept a log I would have a better understanding of how it works.

#11 ·
It increases your natural seratonin which helps for mood enhancement, and anxiety in higher dose, but it shouldnt be taken regularly because tolerance is achieved rather quickly. Best when used once in awhile for sleep and relaxation. Its not going to do anything for SA, imo.

#12 ·
my experience with 5-htp

I started on 5-htp doing 100 mg every morning. This stuff is probably the best natural anti-depressant that I've ever tried, but it does have it downsides. After about a week I began to feel more content, and my outlook on life improved drastically. It has a sort of numbing effect on emotions, which helped with the overactive anxiety of going into social situations. But it also made me a bit apathetic. I was happier, but it wasn't genuine happiness. It was more relief that I didn't care so much about the way my life was unfolding. It also makes me very tired for the first few hours after taking it. I decided to start taking it at night instead, but that has sort of hindered the effect. I read that after a while of taking it regularly it will have a 24 hour effect. This is the most recent supplement I've tried and I will continue to do so as it is the most effective (affective? I never get that right).

#13 ·
I have been suffering from social anxiety disorder and low self esteem my whole life. I have had minimal success with anything because I never saw it through.

I just started getting a real enthusiasm for the happy juices in the brain (seratonin, dompamine, gaba, etc..) and so I have decided to let them be a BIG priority. I want to have good levels up top.

SOOOOO, I am taking 5 HTP (200mg x 3/day), Co Q10 (50mg x 3/day), Flax seed oil (spoonful in morning), several drops of ionic magnesium every day.

It's been about a week i guess on this regimen and I actually am feeling really good. At first it was questionable, I got really nervous when my room mate's 2 friends were over (all female). I just left and went to the bar.

But tonight, I went out to a talk at a theatre in town about natural health suppliments and how they are being banned in Canada... and I chatted with the wife of the speaker (she was also HOT) for 10 minutes with no anxiety. I admit I didn't know what to say half the time, but I was able to smile and ask questions and make a few comments here and there with no heart racing et al!!!

I have heard that GABA helps a person with social skills, allowing them to speak their mind. I will be experimenting with this by adding it to my regime. It's either that or Lysine (a precursor to GABA I think).

Also, I want to add a good B-complex vitamin and some calcium to go along with that magnesium.

Then I want to add a little something called L-carnatine for energy. It is supposed to do wonders. And L-glutamine was recommended to me but I'll have to research it first.

Once I am done my experiment, I think I shall have the ultimate formula for combating social anxiety. It is in the works so who knows what the outcome will be but I'm feeling pretty positive about it right now so wish me luck

#16 ·
I just got 5-HTP today, and so far, so good. I've only taken one pill (50mg) about three hours ago, and definitely feel much more relaxed and calm, so it definitely seems to help anxiety, although a bit drowsy (but I didn't get much sleep to begin with today). Will post back with updates.

#17 ·
I've had social anxiety since about 10th grade.

Other Treatments
I was prescribed Zoloft, but stopped taking it due to sexual side effets and wanting to combat SA with a more natural approach. I was in therapy for a bit before I left to WOOF with my former boyfriend.

Treatment Experience
I've only ever taken it before bed- I took it in the evening once and it made me tired. I should really try taking it in the evening again. I've noticed before bed I don't have racing thoughts while taking it, but that may because I usually drink before bed.

#27 ·
I tried it for awhile and it did a pretty good job :), but tolerance builds up very quickly and I was taking up to three 100 mg's a day and still felt nothing :con, so to me its best used as an on and off thing and not something to take daily :yes

#28 ·
Yeah, it's not something that should be used continuously. I used to take it everyday then I stopped and then started taking it 1-2x a week and it still has the same effect as when I was taking it everyday. :sus

#29 ·
I just started taking 5-htp today. I did my best to research the dosage. I was told to start off at 100mg.. unfortunately it's initial effect has not been great. I feel more immobile than I do when I'm under an anxiety attack. Perhaps it's WAY too high of a dosage to start at. I feel trying the 25 mg may be a lot better for me.. Anything than what I feel right now!! (more anxious than I originally was!! :( )