my doctor says escitaloprom (lexapro) wont help anxiety that much.. - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 07:39 PM
SAS Member

I am taking 10mg of Lexapro and have been for 3 years, it helps a ton with my anxiety, though i'm not 100% anxiety free, I just feel mellow and indifferent all the time. Also I think the medication makes me feel sleepy, and it doesn't really help with my depression, it hasn't for the past year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 11:07 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouria19 View Post
I wouldn't trust anything health-related that i read online. If you are judging only by what you've read online, she is definitely a better source of information.
Since this is months old I just have to say All I can do is hope you get one of those rare knowledgeable AND intelligent doctors.

My greatest point is my persistence.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 11:05 AM
SAS Member

I am on generic Lexapro.. it is working ok for me.. Every drug works differently for different people.. I was previously on 5 meds for many many years.. everything was real 'balanced'.. But i felt like I was watching my life on TV show, and not really playing a part in it..

I cut down drastically (with Psychiatrist)... Now after 4 months, going to gradually going to up it a bit.. Cause I am too anxious, too trigger happy.. but I don't want to be as 'numbed down' as I was before..

Different factors in your life change... If your stress load lightens up (divorces an abusing husband etc).. you're stress lightens, you may not need as much meds.. It will change as your life changes..

Lexipro is a daily 'steady' drug'.. you need to continually keep it in our system.. Other drugs can be used 'on occassion and as needed.. I use Klonopin for this.. It is not a daily regular thing.. Only when I feel a need for it coming on.

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 12:58 AM
Permanently Banned

http://www.psychotropical.com/why-mo...re-ineffective

He's a leading expert who agrees that most new drugs are ineffective.

The FDA sets the bar as low as can be approving anything that (barely) beats placebo over a whole 12 weeks.

A better measure of efficacy is how well does an AD reduce suicide over the long-term. Now that's something the National Institute of Health should commission a study on.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 01:15 PM
SAS Member

I have been suffering for about 3 months with mild to bad anxiety. I tried Buspar and it didn't work well. I'm now on Lexapro, 5 mg/day. I am hoping to be able to increase it to 10 mg but right now the anxiety is too high to do that. I take Xanax as needed for the anxiety, usually no more than 1 mg/day. Any tips for how I can best alleviate my anxiety is appreciated!!
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 03:09 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnBlakeTracy View Post
In 2000 or 2001 Dr. Murray Ellis published research indicating that those suffering from anxiety disorders have serotonin levels EIGHT TIMES HIGHER than normal. He went on to ask what I have been asking for 25 years now which is why are we giving drugs that increase serotonin (all antidepressants do this) when those suffering anxiety disorders already have elevated levels of serotonin. This is why the drugs make it worse.
Dr Ellis can take his studies and shove it where the Sun doesn't shine.

Please don't spread misinformation. The brain has serotonin and serotonin receptors in hippocampus and brain stem. You should ideally have more serotonin in hippocampus and less in brainstem. Now if you have 8 times higher serotonin in brainstem, you will be depressed and anxious. The trick is that SSRIs increase serotonin in hippocampus. Of course serotonin receptors in brain stem will also be affected by the SSRI drug, but it would be a moot point. The therapeutic effects of ssri would be seen in form of increased serotonin in hippocampus. If you or Dr. Ellis knew that excessive serotonin in brainstem inhibits release of more serotonin from neuron terminals in hippocampis (which is why people get anxiety) we would not be wasting goverment research money on fruit cakes.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 06:53 PM
Spectacular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvenable View Post
I have been suffering for about 3 months with mild to bad anxiety. I tried Buspar and it didn't work well. I'm now on Lexapro, 5 mg/day. I am hoping to be able to increase it to 10 mg but right now the anxiety is too high to do that. I take Xanax as needed for the anxiety, usually no more than 1 mg/day. Any tips for how I can best alleviate my anxiety is appreciated!!
Is it social anxiety? Then CBT exposure therapy. Exercise, healthier diet, better sleep/wake schedule, supplement vitamin D, get more Omega 3's either with Fish oil or better yet from Krill oil, learn and practice mindfulness, try yoga, try some Chammoile teas, etc etc. Medications should NOT be the only tool in your toolbox.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 07:00 PM
SAS Member

how the hell do you measure serotonin levels in the brain? is it like a blood test, you take a little piece and look under a microscope. I had many tests done, but none that indicated my serotonin levels.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
In 2000 or 2001 Dr. Murray Ellis published research indicating that those suffering from anxiety disorders have serotonin levels EIGHT TIMES HIGHER than normal. He went on to ask what I have been asking for 25 years now which is why are we giving drugs that increase serotonin (all antidepressants do this) when those suffering anxiety disorders already have elevated levels of serotonin. This is why the drugs make it worse.
this does make sense to me... what should you do if u have high serotonin? reduce it? How? and also how do u check it?
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 01:09 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffles3000 View Post
how the hell do you measure serotonin levels in the brain? is it like a blood test, you take a little piece and look under a microscope. I had many tests done, but none that indicated my serotonin levels.
Last I checked, there is no way to measure them. They can measure it in your blood but that is not indicative of how much is in your brain.

Evolve or die.
JSS
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 08:00 PM
SAS Member

Radiography is used to quantify serotonin receptors. Decrease in Serotonin 1A (hetero) receptor in hippocampus would be a good evidence for anxiety/depression. PubMed.gov
post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 10:04 PM
SAS Member

Language: Gibberish
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeekJadedPest View Post
Radiography is used to quantify serotonin receptors. Decrease in Serotonin 1A (hetero) receptor in hippocampus would be a good evidence for anxiety/depression. PubMed.gov
Welcome to SAS! We need more people like you on here man You sound like you know your stuff!

Bleh.
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 11:10 AM
King

Quote:
In their hippocampus, yes.. but afaik SSRI (Selective here) is responsible for raising serotonin in theprefrontal cortex, no?

Simply stating that this hormone or that hormone is the cause of the a**hole known as anxiety is just pure rubbish. And not everyone gets worse off an SSRI, do you realy believe that?

To the point of the topic; I agree with your doctor. SSRI's are low/medium effective at best for treating Anxiety. I don't know about depression but I think it's a safer bet for it.
post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 11:17 AM
UnDeRrAtED

lexapro helped minimally for depression vibryd helped me more for anxiety.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence and than success is sure," Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 12:12 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
lexapro has been, in my personal experience, ineffective at combating anxiety issues. i used to take regular celexa (lexapro's parent) at 40mg, and that DID help, but after a while i developed an elongated qt interval (i got heart palpitations) due to my max dosage and years taking it. doc then switched me to lexapro, and it didnt do jack.

just wanted to relate my personal experience, good luck!
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 06:53 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
It helps to a certain extent. Doesn't really help with depression infact probably worse on that side of things now.

It does help with the anxiety a bit though along with CBT. There's no magic solution to this as far as I'm concerned and from what i've read though.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page