my doctor says escitaloprom (lexapro) wont help anxiety that much.. - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

My Mood: Relaxed

my doctor says escitaloprom (lexapro) wont help anxiety that much..

Why does she say this? I have read online and they reviews say it has helped other people a lot. To me she told I wouldnt feel much difference and that I should try therapy instead.. i have been on 5 mg for 1 week now im gonna switch to 10 mg a day..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 06:03 AM
SAS Member

I wouldn't trust anything health-related that i read online. If you are judging only by what you've read online, she is definitely a better source of information.

“Honest to God, Bill, the way things are going, all I can think of is that I'm a character in a book by somebody who wants to write about somebody who suffers all the time.” ― Kilgore Trout

"I need to die" - Anonymous
"I'm just like...blaaaah. Effort? WTF is that? hahahaha" - Anonymous
"Love is a luxury" - Astron92
"One day you will look back at your life and you will only see your computer." - Nilufar
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouria19 View Post
I wouldn't trust anything health-related that i read online. If you are judging only by what you've read online, she is definitely a better source of information.
yeah but what do people win by lying? And the sources are like yahoo, this site .. drugs .com etc..

But I think she just wants me to try therapy and dont want me to rely on medicine

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 06:18 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurdishFella View Post
yeah but what do people win by lying? And the sources are like yahoo, this site .. drugs .com etc..

But I think she just wants me to try therapy and dont want me to rely on medicine
The reviews are not necessarily lies, but you don't know what their conditions have been, what other drugs they have taken, etc.

As for therapy, i think it's a good thing to rely on therapy and switch to medicines if therapy proved to be not working.

“Honest to God, Bill, the way things are going, all I can think of is that I'm a character in a book by somebody who wants to write about somebody who suffers all the time.” ― Kilgore Trout

"I need to die" - Anonymous
"I'm just like...blaaaah. Effort? WTF is that? hahahaha" - Anonymous
"Love is a luxury" - Astron92
"One day you will look back at your life and you will only see your computer." - Nilufar
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 07:17 AM
SAS Member

Google is good for many things but perhaps not for self-prescribing. Your doctor probably has a better understanding of your overall situation. In this case, I'd rely on your doctor.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 07:51 PM
SAS Member

Research by Dr. Murray Ellis in Australia indicates NO antidepressant helps anxiety

In 2000 or 2001 Dr. Murray Ellis published research indicating that those suffering from anxiety disorders have serotonin levels EIGHT TIMES HIGHER than normal. He went on to ask what I have been asking for 25 years now which is why are we giving drugs that increase serotonin (all antidepressants do this) when those suffering anxiety disorders already have elevated levels of serotonin. This is why the drugs make it worse.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 08:12 PM
SAS Member

I take Lexepro 20mg and it works great for my anxiety. I wouldn't say that it will work for everyone. Body chemistries are very different. I would recommend asking your doctor about genetic testing similar that offered by the company Genesight. I used Genesight and they helped find the right medication for me. I think there are other companies that offer the testing. It's worth checking out anyway. Also, therapy can be quite effective, so I certainly understand why your doctor would want you to check into that. I'm learning Mindfulness and Acceptance and also doing some Dialectic Behavioral Therapy in group sessions. They are helping me learn new and helpful skills. Maybe I'll be able to go off the drugs one day, but I"m not there yet. Anyway, hope that helps. Take care.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 08:26 PM
Permanently Banned

WOah, a doctor with a brain???
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 10:30 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Lexapro didn't work for me all that well. I was switched to Paxil.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 10:31 PM
SAS Member

Is that why 5 htp made my anxiety worse and unable to sleep
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 09:22 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnBlakeTracy View Post
In 2000 or 2001 Dr. Murray Ellis published research indicating that those suffering from anxiety disorders have serotonin levels EIGHT TIMES HIGHER than normal. He went on to ask what I have been asking for 25 years now which is why are we giving drugs that increase serotonin (all antidepressants do this) when those suffering anxiety disorders already have elevated levels of serotonin. This is why the drugs make it worse.
what we need is some good old fashioned dopamine

*snorts a line*

i never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 03:59 PM
bipolar

Escitalopram (Lexapro) can help with anxiety. I used it for a number of years and it reduced mine significantly.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 11:19 PM
SAS Member

listen to your doc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurdishFella View Post
Why does she say this? I have read online and they reviews say it has helped other people a lot. To me she told I wouldnt feel much difference and that I should try therapy instead.. i have been on 5 mg for 1 week now im gonna switch to 10 mg a day..
Ok, as we all know, everyone reacts differently to medication. That being said, I was put on 10mg then raised to 20mg of Lexapro when I was first diagnosed with GAD and panic disorder about 6 years ago. ONLY speaking for my body, and my experience IT SUCKED. Again, FOR ME, it really helped with my OCD, but seriously... it did nothing for my anxiety and it made me manic. But, to be fair, it was before i was diagnosed as Bipolar1 when i went inpatient in 2012. I have been on like all the major SSRIs, but they didn't work. My GP didn't figure out i was bipolar, and the SSRIs made my mania really bad. Just saying, my experience. I have REALLY bad memories of Lexapro, and it's expensive.... but what isnt, lol.
Therapy helps a lot.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 03:17 AM
SAS Member

stay away from meds
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 10:10 AM
Spiffyrich from Youtube

I wouldn't trust a doctor that said this to me. Lexapro is the improved version of Celexa which is practically the standard initial drug of choice for generalized and social anxiety. It helps plenty of people. If you're going to try a drug, lexapro is safe with mild side effects compared to some others. For some people it works wonders. Doctors at this point in time have very little understanding of the effects of drugs on the brain. I won't jump to conclusions since I wasn't there to see the whole dialogue, but I wouldn't be surprised if she is just misinformed.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 11:52 PM
SAS Member

Language: English, Korean, something else soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnBlakeTracy View Post
Source? I've only seen high serotonin linked to harm avoidance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harm_avoidance

know yourself, love yourself
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 06:09 PM
Bless the rains in Africa

Language: Japanese/Hiroshima, Pidgin, Hebrew, African, Mexican, 7-11
My Mood: Innocent
i would agree with him, at least when compared to more powerful alternatives

but in reality, I guess it varies depending upon the individual whether it's going to actually help with your anxiety or not

so try it and see for yourself

Now, If and when the notion of thy marital conflict presents itself amid discussion, I shall acknowledge and exude multitudes of sympathy from within. For as long as you shall encounter aforesaid botheration, I am your biological father.

In the spirit of remaining candid and forthright, personal grievances of mine rein ad infinitum. Per contra, interpersonal differences between female companionship and I, of irreconcilable ilk, do not appear to be among such aforementioned affliction.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 01:26 AM
SAS Member

Everyones diffrent but personally lexapro transformed me as a person.
Increased confidence, increased energy completely wiped out any SA at all.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 08:17 AM
SAS Member

I am now on 5mg lexapro everyday, just want to check with you guys - if you had specific social anxiety (public speaking, taking public transport and speaking to people of authority) would it still be necessary to be on medication daily? As I still can function day to day, get to work and interact with my colls/friends without any issue. So was wondering if that was necessary or just therapy alone will be good as I don't Want to be reliant on medication..
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 12:32 PM
Permanently Banned

If you want the most powerful anti-SA drugs, go with an MAOI (Nardil & Parnate.) Nardil has proven effective for me after 30+ meds failed, though most MDs are too afraid to prescribe this 60-year old wonder drug.

It's absolutely shameful how big pharma has failed to come up with anything as effective in the last 60 years.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page