Has anybody tried Propranolol? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Has anybody tried Propranolol?

I was prescribed propranolol and am not familiar with it. Does anybody know anything about it in regards to fight or flight response? I saw some reviews explaining how it has the potential to effect the heart negatively in an otherwise healthy individual. Havenít taken it yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 12:48 PM
Patron St. of Mediocrity

Language: English
It's a beta blocker most commonly used to treat irregular/fast heart rates, but also used for anxiety. According to my pharmacology textbook, propranolol can cause difficulty breathing if overdosed for a healthy individual.

Why was it prescribed to you, for the reasons why could help explain if you could encounter any negative side effects.

Misplace one note, and there would be diminishment;misplace one phrase, and the structure would fall. It was clear to me that sound I'd heard in the archbishops palace had been no accident. Here again was the very voice of God. I was staring through the cages of those meticulous ink strokes -
...at an absolute beauty!...

- Antonio Salieri, Amadeus
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFather View Post
It's a beta blocker most commonly used to treat irregular/fast heart rates, but also used for anxiety. According to my pharmacology textbook, propranolol can cause difficulty breathing if overdosed for a healthy individual.

Why was it prescribed to you, for the reasons why could help explain if you could encounter any negative side effects.
It was basically prescribed for anxiety and times of panic, but only because everything else my doc tried for anxiety didnít work. I donít necessarily have a high heart rate issue anymore, as I donít experience fight or flight anywhere near as often as I used to. I also take ashwagandha which seems to help even further with this.

Iím just skeptical of propranolol because Ive always thought I had low blood pressure, not high. In addition to that, I wasnít tested or anything so I donít see why my doc would prescribe a med that treats high blood pressure if I wasnít diagnosed.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 05:35 PM
Patron St. of Mediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by socialanxietythough View Post
It was basically prescribed for anxiety and times of panic, but only because everything else my doc tried for anxiety didnít work. I donít necessarily have a high heart rate issue anymore, as I donít experience fight or flight anywhere near as often as I used to. I also take ashwagandha which seems to help even further with this.

Iím just skeptical of propranolol because Ive always thought I had low blood pressure, not high. In addition to that, I wasnít tested or anything so I donít see why my doc would prescribe a med that treats high blood pressure if I wasnít diagnosed.
If you don't experience issues of panic or fleeting anymore, perhaps you could speak with your doctor about placing you on a benzodiazapine for your anxiety and perhaps a combination of meds and therapy for any panic attacks that might follow.

It might be best to buy a home blood pressure cuff to measure your stats while on the medicine to make sure it doesn't drop too low. If it gets too low you need to go to the hospital. Propranolol isn't usually prescribed as a primary hypertension drug, typically other medications are tried and tested for hypertension first. Therefore I wouldn't be too concerned about it's effects on blood pressure.

Misplace one note, and there would be diminishment;misplace one phrase, and the structure would fall. It was clear to me that sound I'd heard in the archbishops palace had been no accident. Here again was the very voice of God. I was staring through the cages of those meticulous ink strokes -

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 07:21 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
I had it for a while to treat anxiety on a 'take it when you need it' basis. It worked pretty well for me, but I tried not to take it if I could help it, not because it's bad for you or anything but i didn't want to become reliant on drugs to fix my anxiety, but it certainly helped me out when I really needed it

Nothing matters but the pain when you're alone,
The never-ending nights when you're awake,
When you're praying that tomorrow it's okay.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Quote:

If you don't experience issues of panic or fleeting anymore, perhaps you could speak with your doctor about placing you on a benzodiazapine for your anxiety and perhaps a combination of meds and therapy for any panic attacks that might follow.

It might be best to buy a home blood pressure cuff to measure your stats while on the medicine to make sure it doesn't drop too low. If it gets too low you need to go to the hospital. Propranolol isn't usually prescribed as a primary hypertension drug, typically other medications are tried and tested for hypertension first. Therefore I wouldn't be too concerned about it's effects on blood pressure.
Benzos have been unsuccessful for the most part, as Iíve experimented with them. It takes a very high dose to feel anything and my doc refuses to presribe them in that case. Iíve also been on lexapro and a few mood stabilizers, still with no success.

I never get anything close to a panic attack. As I said, I barely get any physical effects of anxiety anymore. I used to always have a pounding heart and would feel my body pumping with adrenaline every day. Now this only happens if Iím under serious distress.

The only exception is I get sweaty palms constantly, probably from anxiety. This is why she prescribed propranolol, believe it or not. Who knows, maybe this is the first thing that will actually work.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAshton View Post
I had it for a while to treat anxiety on a 'take it when you need it' basis. It worked pretty well for me, but I tried not to take it if I could help it, not because it's bad for you or anything but i didn't want to become reliant on drugs to fix my anxiety, but it certainly helped me out when I really needed it
Iím glad it worked for you. Iíve always had that same mindset about drugs like this. Just hoping it will go well and not stop my heart lol
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 03:25 AM
SAS Member

I take it and it helps me. Taking too much can lead to low blood pressure so that's something that should be monitored.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 03:28 AM
Patron St. of Mediocrity

Quote:
Benzos have been unsuccessful for the most part, as Iíve experimented with them. It takes a very high dose to feel anything and my doc refuses to presribe them in that case. Iíve also been on lexapro and a few mood stabilizers, still with no success.

I never get anything close to a panic attack. As I said, I barely get any physical effects of anxiety anymore. I used to always have a pounding heart and would feel my body pumping with adrenaline every day. Now this only happens if Iím under serious distress.

The only exception is I get sweaty palms constantly, probably from anxiety. This is why she prescribed propranolol, believe it or not. Who knows, maybe this is the first thing that will actually work.
I'm simply studying to be a doctor (a psychiatrist in fact) at the moment, so what advice I give you is filtered through that, so I'm not the leading expert, by far.

It makes sense that she's prescribed propanolol to address sweaty palms, since beta-blockers are really only used to treat the somatic symptoms (sweating, fleeting, very fast RHR) of severe anxiety, it doesn't possess the same CNS depressing power as other anxiety/antidepressant medications do.

As long as you are doing well on propanolol and don't feel any adverse side effects, I would stay on it and possibly refer to therapy to treat the underlying anxiety, if anxiety medications like benzodiazipines have not worked for you in the past.

I hope all this helps, and consult with your doctor/psychiatrist for any further development or relapse in symptoms.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Quote:

I'm simply studying to be a doctor (a psychiatrist in fact) at the moment, so what advice I give you is filtered through that, so I'm not the leading expert, by far.

It makes sense that she's prescribed propanolol to address sweaty palms, since beta-blockers are really only used to treat the somatic symptoms (sweating, fleeting, very fast RHR) of severe anxiety, it doesn't possess the same CNS depressing power as other anxiety/antidepressant medications do.

As long as you are doing well on propanolol and don't feel any adverse side effects, I would stay on it and possibly refer to therapy to treat the underlying anxiety, if anxiety medications like benzodiazipines have not worked for you in the past.

I hope all this helps, and consult with your doctor/psychiatrist for any further development or relapse in symptoms.
Thanks, I still have yet to take it. I might see a doctor beforehand to get an idea of my current blood pressure. If it is in fact low, I probably wonít take the propranolol.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 05:32 PM
SAS Member

It worked for me to "mask the symptoms", i.e. heart racing, and chest pain that anxiety induced... without causing too much drowsiness. It still made me feel tired tho bc it dropped my blood pressure, and I was on the lowest dose. But I didn't really feel "calm". I still felt physical symptoms of anxiety (tense shoulders, muscle pain etc). Also if you are in a testing environment beta blockers affect memory and recall. So I had to stop taking them.

"I'm learning to BREATHE,... I'm living again, awake and alive. I'm dying to breathe in these abundant skies" ~Switchfoot

Be confident. Too many days are wasted comparing ourselves to others and wishing to be something we aren't. Everybody has their own strengths and weaknesses, and it is only when we accept everything you are- and aren't- that you will truly succeed.
^^ working on it.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 05:54 AM
SAS Member

I liked propanolol because it isn't too hard core. Few side effects. If you are going into a panic-inducing situation you start to have 'anticipated anxiety'. you cause your anxiety attacks because you are afraid of the anxiety symptoms. So, a beta blocker stops the reaction once or twice, you stop anticipating it, then you aren't dealing with the monster of anxiety reactions, just the run of the mill nervousness and insecurities. There are still issues you will have to address, but it is a nice little tool.

Personally I didn't have the negative effects. But different people react differently :/ maybe there is something out there that will work better for you
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 10:05 AM

If you have to talk infront of a group of people for a short period of time its very useful

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 07:11 PM
Great thinker

My Mood: Amused
I had insane mind chatter which propranolol reduced a bit now. I would say it is good but not great. You should move your focus from thing that haunted your mind. Best luck.

you cannot be comfortable without your own permission
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 03:08 PM
Optimism Prime~

I was perscribed it a few years ago now and from what I remember it wasn't too bad. It's moderately effective at suppressing anxiety symptoms like shaky hands, excessive heart rate, sweating etc.

slow progress is still progress.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 11:37 AM
SAS Member

its a beta blocker right? i used to take those when i had auditions on my instrument in orchestra. made me feel pretty chill even in high pressure environment
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 04:08 AM
Aly
Social outcast

It only provides temporary relief from shakiness and a racing heart but it helps when you have really severe anxiety. I used to take it whenever I was in school.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 02:49 PM
SAS Member

Propranolol

I used to have to testify frequently in court, and I was always a nervous wreck. I read in an article that propranolol can help to calm a person down, so I asked my Dr and he agreed to write a script. This was over 30 yrs ago, it was actually Inderal then. It does keep me calm, makes social interaction easier, and I'm more confident when I'm on it. I don't like that it seems to "slow me down" tho, and I find I consume more coffee when I'm on it. I take it when needed, and usually only one half of a 10 mg pill. Interestingly, I also take Adderall and the combination really keeps me focused and steady. I'm actually at my best with this combination, but I don't combine them often at all because I'm not sure of the long term effects.
This is my first post, so glad I found this forum...thank you!
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 11:13 PM
SAS Member

I tried this senior year of high school. Yes, it helps a lot.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 11:23 PM

Language: sarcasm
I was prescribed this just for panic attacks and it seems to help but mildly. It has helped me in certain scenarios where I am totally flipping out.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page