Did medications work for you? - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 10:39 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Inspired
Meds nearly killed me, I became physically dependent on benzos and had to go through w/d, which lasted three years. Only after three years did the trembling and acute anxiety go away. Please be VERY CAUTIOUS with meds. Even if you take just one a day, as I did, the stuff binds with every receptor in your body and you can't actually do without it. It started to destroy me physically so I had to come off it cold turkey.

These days, if I feel anxious, I take a beta blocker, which works great. Other than that, no meds at all! I calm myself with yoga, meditation, running, swimming, martial arts. Way more effective and sustainable. Good luck!

“You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life?” ― Jalaluddin Rumi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 01:25 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Cool
@Maggie , I agree that meditation, exercise etc are very good at helping with remission from depression and anxiety but how did you find doing those at the time you were suffering ? If like me, I found it almost impossible to get myself motivated to do any of the above when I was suffering from depression.

I first started mindfulness about 6 years ago but because I was struggling mentally I would only string together a couple of weeks at a time before depression left me feeling why bother. It was only until I found nardil which cleared away my depression I was able to put together a sustained daily meditation, and exercise/healthy eating etc routine
post #43 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 01:39 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC01 View Post
@Maggie , I agree that meditation, exercise etc are very good at helping with remission from depression and anxiety but how did you find doing those at the time you were suffering ? If like me, I found it almost impossible to get myself motivated to do any of the above when I was suffering from depression.

I first started mindfulness about 6 years ago but because I was struggling mentally I would only string together a couple of weeks at a time before depression left me feeling why bother. It was only until I found nardil which cleared away my depression I was able to put together a sustained daily meditation, and exercise/healthy eating etc routine
I can completely identify with that. I started a mindfulness program online a couple of years back but my fatigue and depression just made it really impossible to concentrate or get into a daily routine of doing it. I remember getting so pissed off and deeply upset that I couldn't even concentrate for 10 minutes of guided meditation. I just could not physically do it.

Now I seem to be getting a bit more energy and focus back from my meds I am starting to think about how I can help myself with a better diet, taking up meditation again, exercise, etc.

post #44 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 01:46 PM
SAS Member

I've been on so many medications and most were not worth the side effects. A couple of them helped me a little bit socially, or at least provided some kind of active placebo effect, but none of them have adequately relieved the social anxiety and chronic anhedonic depression.

I remember being put on SSRIs as a young teenager (bad idea but nobody knew back then) and that could have ended very badly indeed.

I was given Ativan a few years back and told to take it 3 times daily for general anxiety but I didn't want to get addicted so I didn't use regularly as prescribed. I now use it rarely for emergencies.

At the moment I am quite liking Wellbutrin for a bit of an energy boost. Lyrica for general anxiety. The combination of these two does seem to make me care a bit less about what people think, although I still ruminate over social interactions.

Yeah so to summarise I would say I have been partially responsive to some medications but with many bad experiences too.
post #45 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 02:00 PM
Permanently Banned

UKguy, really do recommend a daily mindfulness practice when you feel up to it as it helps so much, not only with anxiety/depression etc but it can really enhance all aspects of your life. Remember when you do take it up, there is no such things as a bad meditation, no matter how all over place your mind is.

PM me if you ever need some recommendation for books, websites etc.
post #46 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 03:07 PM
Porcupine Tree

Sort of. I tried Lexapro, which made me significantly less anxious while in public places, and also helped my depression quite a bit. However, lately I've been experiencing some rebound depression.

If you are considering taking medication, I would wholeheartedly support trying it out.

You cannot find peace by avoiding life. -Woolf
post #47 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 03:11 PM
Permanently Banned

agree PorcupineTree, the right medication can certainly help, its just the time it takes to find that med.
post #48 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 08:01 PM
SAS Member

Well there's plenty of responses already but I'll add my experience in a bit, why not.

I started on Prozac from my general practitioner and it did not help me. Then I saw a psych and he started me on Paxil. That changed my life, simple as that. It really can be that simple. It took a lot of self-perseverance and pushing myself, setting goals for myself, etc. but I started building my life up. This was within the past two years. But the Paxil makes me very sleepy and kills libido.

The psych also put me on Ativan for situational anxiety but that just did nothing for me. I was allowed to take two pills if one didn't work, and nothing. What was it supposed to do, make me more drowsy? Calm me down? I was already drowsy. I couldn't tell the difference.

My depression was very bad so that's how the Paxil helped me. It didn't take away all anxiety. Overall good experience.
post #49 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 07:16 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Amazed
I used to take a lot of antidepresents for my social anxiety. I still have a problem of drinking a lot.

The 1) thing I|m using for social anxiety is to start supplementing with CBD Hemp Oil every day, 2 times a day. You don't get high, but that's good because then its non addictive. You need to take it for two weeks to see results. I think a lot less now, don't feel so down on myself. When I don't take it then I really relaize how much it is helping me.

It is legal in the USA now, because it is hemp oil non psychoactive.

I take the Oil of Sunshine variety. In the USA it can be mailed to you because it is legal. |Don't know about |Europe . Once Oil of Sunshine came from the company I found it to really help me get off Meds. After about two weeks is when my brain felt my own again. I noticed I started to feel happier.

With the Sunshine Oil I had to be conisistent though!

Please stay natural and away from too many meds and drinking. .
post #50 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 07:24 PM

My Mood: Relaxed
Nop i tried nardil best med for anxiety and i got ripped apart doesent do s1ht for me. Sad face
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 08:03 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy
I was taking 200mg of Zoloft, daily. As well as Buspar, 15mg. It helped take the edge off, especially with stress at work, class presentations/talking in class and random blushing attacks.
post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 03:41 PM
Chlorine and Wine

My Mood: Dead
Meds are more tresh than Danny Devito.

Incomplete science, potential for lots of damage, masking deep issues in a profitable attempt to treat symptoms...

Needless to say, they did nothing for me despite the endless insistence and incompetence of numerous prescribers, and possibly did damage over the years. It's better to face things directly, change environment, activities, mindset, if you can. Doesn't change a ****ty reality, but I could go sell my soul to a church with less harm than what Western psychiatry does.

Here's to life, the vice
The great herald of misery
In this cup, spiritus frumenti
For this is the nectar of the spirit
post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 06:48 AM
SAS Member

Phenelzine changed my life
post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 02:35 AM
SAS Member

I currently get by with Inderal 10mg when I have to go out. Doesn't do much for my thoughts, but stops my body from being a wobbly mess and my heart from beating like hell... worth it for the physical benefits alone. Downside is when you don't anticipate a situation and you don't have 90minutes for the pill to get into your system.... In terms of whether it makes me more extroverted, I'd definitely say it does. As I said though, it helps my body but not my mind.

"If the only thing people learned was not to be afraid of their experience, that alone would change the world." - Sydney Banks
post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 05:51 PM
Almost empty

My Mood: Inspired
Seems like meds did help me but it was a crutch at best... or they didn't & it was all placebo. Too many negatives. I would never go back on meds.

"Let everything happen to you. Beauty & terror. Just keep going. No feeling is final" ~ Rainer Maria Rilke
post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 03:32 AM
Monster under your bed.

My Mood: Sick
I guess i'm one of the lucky few, I take medication and the only side affect I get is it causes stomach issues when I take it.

Don't be scared, it won't hurt....much.
post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 08:00 AM
Yoink

Meds and CBT didn't help me much, but Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) has helped me a lot.

And I always thought this would be
the land of milk and honey
Oh but I came to find out that it's
all hate and money
And there's a canopy of greed holding me down.
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 05:57 PM
young man coping

I know this wasn't directed towards me but I appreciated the advice given. Thanks Bud!
post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 06:01 PM
young man coping

I take meds, but I wonder if its safe and any long term effects it may have. I honestly feel no different with/without meds it goes in and out my body like water, but I don't feel it.
post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 11:00 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Asleep
i was given the highest dose of ativan for situations where my anxiety was unbearable, but it didn't help at all. now I'm taking the highest dose of klopin and my doc has said i can even take it twice a day if i need, but i feel like it doesnt do much of anything, except make me drowsy. if i don't take it for a long time, it gives me a high where i don't feel anxious at all, so id rather do that because i actually notice a difference, but neither is very appealing. i want something that works. I'm also on prozac, which doesnt help either.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page