SAS is dying - Page 9 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #161 of 197 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 02:14 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
i think if i don't come to this site it will either be bc I'm busy or recovered..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 197 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily View Post
i think if i don't come to this site it will either be bc I'm busy or recovered..
People don't exactly recover from anxiety, just find ways to manage it better.

Some come here because are lonely. If have another place like social media, they tend to use that.

In the woods they found.
post #163 of 197 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 10:06 AM
SAS Member

Just a thought, the site might not have as much traffic coming to it because it's not coming up in search engines, I tried googling under a couple of different search terms and got nothing. I think this site will always be relevant but it certainly could use better SEO.

post #164 of 197 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 10:17 AM
Poorly tuned

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by makiroll View Post
Just a thought, the site might not have as much traffic coming to it because it's not coming up in search engines, I tried googling under a couple of different search terms and got nothing. I think this site will always be relevant but it certainly could use better SEO.
What did you search for? I just now searched for "Social anxiety forum" and it's the first result.

/WYSD
post #165 of 197 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 10:33 AM
untitled document

Language: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
What did you search for? I just now searched for "Social anxiety forum" and it's the first result.
It's buried on page 2 for me: https://www.google.com/search?q=Soci...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I believe Google results are somewhat personalized so you may get it first because you've searched for it often before and clicked on that result.

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #166 of 197 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 10:40 AM
Poorly tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
It's buried on page 2 for me: https://www.google.com/search?q=Soci...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I believe Google results are somewhat personalized so you may get it first because you've searched for it often before and clicked on that result.
Actually, I used DuckDuckGo for that particular search and I don't think I have ever searched for SAS on that search engine before (and have hardly ever used it).

/WYSD
post #167 of 197 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 10:43 AM
SAS Member

Quote:

Actually I searched for that exact thing, it didn't come up within the first page, and like many I seldom go beyond the initial page for results. I eventually found the site linked through someone's article about social anxiety support forums. Maybe it's regional, or based on search history? I'm not sure why it didn't come up. Unless I put something very specific like "SAS social anxiety support site" it doesn't come up within the first page. I mostly got British health care sites when I looked up "social anxiety support forum", which is weird because I'm Canadian.
post #168 of 197 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 09:39 PM

Language: English (British), German to some extent.
My Mood: Blah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

Yes, I remember reading some years ago (I think it was), that Google (very sadly IMO, because it arguably seems a little bit like removing net neutrality), stopped just giving everyone all over the world exactly the same results and started personalising it somewhat.

–his girl is a tortoise, wandering in the long grass and streaming rain, between fire and ice in a sense
post #169 of 197 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 10:25 PM
☆ Moderator ☆

When I searched on Google for social anxiety forum with no quotation marks, SAS was the 20th result. When I used them, it was the second result. Then when I went back and refreshed it without the quotation marks again, it had gone up to being the tenth result.

Some of the other social anxiety forums are higher in the results, but from what I noticed, everything seems to move around at different times, like everything is in a random spot when you search and it doesnít stay in the same place each time.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #170 of 197 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Memory View Post
When I searched on Google for social anxiety forum with no quotation marks, SAS was the 20th result. When I used them, it was the second result. Then when I went back and refreshed it without the quotation marks again, it had gone up to being the tenth result.

Some of the other social anxiety forums are higher in the results, but from what I noticed, everything seems to move around at different times, like everything is in a random spot when you search and it doesn’t stay in the same place each time.
Sometimes that can be due to how many times it is searched for amongst other things.

Search engines usually only look at key words in the head of the website (or key words / websites that are registered with them).

Like if know the key words, type them in exactly as see them in the head of the website and see what happens.

Like for example if I use Red, Green, Blue key words in head of website.

If type Red it will be further down the result list.

If type Red, Green, further up the result list.

If type Red, Green, Blue and no other websites share the same key words, should be the only one.

The key is to use the correct key words.

But if key words are shared with other websites, yeah.

In the woods they found.
post #171 of 197 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 04:28 PM
Poorly tuned

But if you search for things that are not common and you know for a fact it's in a thread title on SAS it tends to pop up right away. Google tends to want to show people who it thinks they're most likely searching for based upon how common it is. So, if you were searching for "social anxiety" for the first time ever, you'd probably be more likely to see a post on Reddit about social anxiety or something than to end up here. Because someone has probably mentioned social anxiety on reddit recently and reddit is obviously a more common destination than SAS. So Google is going to show you everything that is more popular than SAS before it shows you SAS....UNLESS what you are searching for has only ever been said on SAS.

/WYSD
post #172 of 197 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 08:29 AM
Self-absorbed but it's ok

Language: Bad English
My Mood: Dead
I like how this forum is being presented as "mental health support", but you're not really allowed to be " too mentally unhealthy", only to a certain extent and just like everywhere you have to overconform to make yourself more likable and viewed as more "normal" and be "nice" all the time, but then also passive aggressive if you don't like someone, but still have to appear nice. The "support" aspect is just a formal one and it ends up being more of virtue signaling nature than something genuine. The conformity and what's normal and usual makes you OK of a person deserving decent treatment and friendliness, makes people more loyal to you and less suspicious of you by default. The opposite makes you more dislikable, labeled as all sorts of "bad" things like "crazy" etc. (I'm talking about how I personally feel and a little bit of what I witnessed). Nothing different from the rest of society. I know people have different degrees of SA and for multiple various reasons, I'm just talking from my personal perspective.

Maybe the policy of it is too strict and that's also one of many reasons why people don't stay here for long. Nobody likes to censor themselves to that extent.

And even though I had outvert rudeness expressed towards me, I never reported those people except for one time cause I don't think that would be right for them to be penalized for that. I'm not even talking about trolls who pretend to be someone else here, just regular users. Some people feel just as bad about passive aggression. I do. So does that mean those posts should be deleted too? But it's passive aggression so you cant really accuse them or point a finger cause it's too subtle even though you personally know it's there. I think it's either therapeutic space or something more laid-back. And it's a situation where you're supposed to pick one.

Sorry for not currently replying to your posts addressed to me. I will do that later (hopefully in a few days) because now I can't Please, don't take it personally because you have nothing to do with it.
post #173 of 197 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 11:03 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
^ Pretty much. I can't stand high school games like that.
post #174 of 197 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 11:05 AM
Poorly tuned

SAS may not be necessarily DYING (as in "it's time to panic!") but SAS is definitely stagnating and languishing.

/WYSD
post #175 of 197 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 01:55 PM
SAS Member

It doesn't help that the mods are closing any thread they personally take offense to (and apparently some are easily offended )
post #176 of 197 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 02:05 PM
Poorly tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by veron View Post
It doesn't help that the mods are closing any thread they personally take offense to (and apparently some are easily offended )
I don't really think that's it though. The mods rarely lock anything.

/WYSD
post #177 of 197 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 02:12 PM
SAS Member

Here are some recently closed threads that haven't broken any forum rules:

https://www.socialanxietysupport.com...curvy-2227797/
https://www.socialanxietysupport.com...59/index3.html
https://www.socialanxietysupport.com...hread-2228037/

Not sure why these were closed other than on the mod's whim or the mod taking personal offence or whatever.
post #178 of 197 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 02:40 PM
Poorly tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by veron View Post
Here are some recently closed threads that haven't broken any forum rules:

https://www.socialanxietysupport.com...curvy-2227797/
https://www.socialanxietysupport.com...59/index3.html
https://www.socialanxietysupport.com...hread-2228037/

Not sure why these were closed other than on the mod's whim or the mod taking personal offence or whatever.
The reasons for closing them were quite clearly stated in each case.

At any rate, again, moderation is not a new thing on this forum and it was way more strict in, say, 2009 (as you might remember). The forum was very active at various times in the past regardless of what the mods were doing.

/WYSD
post #179 of 197 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 09:03 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
The reasons for closing them were quite clearly stated in each case.
Yes, but they have nothing to do with forum rules. For example, it doesn't say anywhere in the guidelines that you aren't allowed to create a thread seeking romantic partners. SAS has a "Friends and Connections" forum after all. I've also seen threads closed with the given reason something along the lines of "this thread has run its course." The mods are clearly not moderating according to the guidelines, but are closing threads as they see fit. I don't think that they're solely responsible for killing SAS, but they certainly aren't helping the case, lol
post #180 of 197 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 12:18 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bitchy
When a thread has run its course, it usually means there is no more constructive discussion going on which could be due to a variety of reasons. Modding isn't black and white and a lot of times they have to make a judgement call to intervene in something which could be a gray area of the rules or maybe not even breaking a rule, but it's for the best interest of the people involved or the overall members in their view which everyone might not agree with. For the dating threads, most of the replies end up being spam and the site already has an issue with predators like stalkers and creeps in general and allowing that stuff would likely just make it worse.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page