SAS is dying - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Aspergian

SAS is dying

SAS is currently as dead as I have ever seen it before. It has been slowing down for quite some time now but lately it is easy to see how dead this site has become.

Do the owners have any plans on correcting this problem? The admins?

(I am asking out of curiosity though I already know the answer. No, there are no plans in place or this site wouldn't be in it's current state.)

Even if our scars donít match thereís no wrong you canít make better if you can figure out a way to change your mind.

And sure thereís things I regret not doing or doing. Those thoughts climb my spine like spiders, and then Iím really the stranger in my own bed,

and that ball of nervous gets pushed into every crack. Thatís whatís holding the bricks together.

- Listener
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:04 AM
Harvester of Sorrow

Language: English, Broken Cantonese, Spanish Curse words, few words of Mandarin
My Mood: Lonely
I see new posts all the time and pretty active threads. What's your definition of dying?

"There's a fine line between the peacefulness of solitude and the loneliness of isolation."
- Dr. Hill, Until Dawn
post #3 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Aspergian

It's not my definition. I am also not the only member here who can see it. https://www.socialanxietysupport.com...dying-2221269/

I can see the different forums and how much they have slowed in postings for several years now. Anyone who spends enough time on SAS can see it. I have also noticed that we used to greet many new members a day here, so many in fact that other members used to accuse them of boosting their post count. Nowadays you're not going to boost much welcoming our new members who trickle in, with sometimes days going between the joining of even one new member.

Clearly something is not right with SAS.

Even if our scars donít match thereís no wrong you canít make better if you can figure out a way to change your mind.

And sure thereís things I regret not doing or doing. Those thoughts climb my spine like spiders, and then Iím really the stranger in my own bed,

and that ball of nervous gets pushed into every crack. Thatís whatís holding the bricks together.

- Listener

post #4 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:29 PM
SAS Member

Language: too few
My Mood: Angelic
post #5 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:33 PM
loser

I don't know if others are experiencing problems but SAS has got a bunch of issues for me. For example it's slow, it logs out automatically at times etc

It's pretty frustrating to use imo so perhaps that's part of the problem
post #6 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:25 PM
Permanently Banned

Language: Can complain in all languages
My Mood: Lonely
Rip
post #7 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:28 PM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
people have been saying its dying for a long time... maybe in 20 years.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #8 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:05 PM
CWe
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Tired
Panic mode activated

post #9 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:38 PM
SAS Member

Language: I have a one tongue and that is not English
My Mood: Cheeky
Post more.

No, I don't speak English and that is a secret of my happiness!
post #10 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Aspergian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothlinghs View Post
Post more.

Many members here think that I am a bot now as it is.

(JK, I get what you are saying lol)

- Listener
post #11 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:16 PM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad Licker View Post

yeah i've been wondering. you seem like quite a sophisticated one though

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #12 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:22 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Cool
It is dying, no question.

'Coping with Social Anxiety' used to have 1 to 2 pages of 'Recent Posts: Today.' Now it's one or 2.

When I type into Google 'SAS Forum', it doesn't show on the first couple pages. It used to be Result 1.

When I type into Google 'Social Anxiety Disorder Support Forum', it shows on the bottom of Page 1. It used to be Result 1.

This is a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conantheworthless View Post
I don't know if others are experiencing problems but SAS has got a bunch of issues for me. For example it's slow, it logs out automatically at times etc

It's pretty frustrating to use imo so perhaps that's part of the problem
This!!! I have a ton of problems using it. In addition to what you've said, it won't even let me sign-in on my phone!!

The world is quiet here.
post #13 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 05:23 PM
☆ Moderator ☆

I’ve noticed it a lot this week. The most popular sections go without new posts for most of the day. When it’s 5 or 7:00 PM, the last posts are still from the morning.

There are still a lot of people signing in, and sometimes I see 100 members online at once, which is the most I’ve seen for a while. I’m not sure why no one is posting as much if they’re here. I’ve been thinking of some new threads to start, but I don’t think it will help much.

SAS goes through times where it’s very quiet and then times where it’s more active. I hope it’s only going through a quiet time. One of the first results for “Social Anxiety Forum” on Google is this article which says SAS is the best forum. The month on the article changes, so it looks like they repost it a lot.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #14 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Aspergian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Memory View Post
I’ve noticed it a lot this week. The most popular sections go without new posts for most of the day. When it’s 5 or 7:00 PM, the last posts are still from the morning.

There are still a lot of people signing in, and sometimes I see 100 members online at once, which is the most I’ve seen for a while. I’m not sure why no one is posting as much if they’re here. I’ve been thinking of some new threads to start, but I don’t think it will help much.

SAS goes through times where it’s very quiet and then times where it’s more active. I hope it’s only going through a quiet time. One of the first results for “Social Anxiety Forum” on Google is this article which says SAS is the best forum. The month on the article changes, so it looks like they repost it a lot.

One of the major problems that I see is how low the new member join rate is. It's like whatever advertising they are using isn't working, at all. Couple that with how quiet the site has become. Members used to chat while we played games years ago, nowadays nobody hardly ever says anything to anyone. I understand that this is a site full of social anxiety riddled humans(?), but most of us don't bite.

This site also lost it's identity and direction from the owners/admins. When it was hosted by owners with social anxiety themselves, that gave SAS it's direction and purpose as a supportive site. SAS no longer has that direction and purpose.

- Listener
post #15 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 05:59 PM
SAS Member

Forums in general are dying out. Online chat rooms are dying a slow painful death as well mostly due to social media. I remember back in the early-mid 2000's forums and chatroom's were popular. This place has been dying for over 5 years now. The reddit page for SA has a lot of traffic, but I am 30 and it is full of high school kids. This places has lots of 20s and 30 somethings.
post #16 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:36 PM

@Silent Memory

Probably because most are at work or doing something else. Sometimes if a computer or device used is on, SAS is in the background in the browser, they are logged in, it might show up on that online list.

Sometimes it might not need them to open the browser, could be just still logged in, computer or device is on.

I think it might be the above, accused of spamming if post too much, don't want a certain party talking to you or just online anxiety / fear or not sure how to talk to others.

Maybe you can create a talk to others forum or thread, just for random conversations about any subject? Much like the dot thread.

Going by the vent only thread the mods created, I think that would answer your question as to most just want to vent, not be answered to. It defeats the purpose of a support website in some ways.

Other forums in UK where have seen some very intelligent conversations and are a joy to read. Like reading a good novel. Also some stuff passes, where it doesn't here unless in 18+ forum.

Some forums use restricted access based on gender (so can talk about male or female issues). They are really active and thread's top out at around 130 post's really quickly sometimes (post limited so more threads are created and can't edit post's which reduces load on forum server as editing post's creates many copies which forum software has to load).

They are not moderated much at all. Men talk about women, women talk about women issues, men without offending each other (removing the need for the gender rule here).

If look at previous thread's on here, mainly men talking about women or vice versa which made the forum more active.

Sometimes creating too strict rules can stop people posting which has been mentioned many times over. There are other ways to deal with the same issues as mentioned above and requires less intervention by mods, less stress on mods dealing with what they perceive to be difficult people.

Zera.
post #17 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:07 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad Licker View Post

Haha, I did not actually watch your post count before you said that .

post #18 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:09 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo_Fernando View Post

Sometimes creating too strict rules can stop people posting which has been mentioned many times over. There are other ways to deal with the same issues as mentioned above and requires less intervention by mods, less stress on mods dealing with what they perceive to be difficult people.
I like it safe.

post #19 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:26 AM
SAS Member

One common thing between people is too less. I think this handfull of active posters are too different for deep conversations. Different political views, different views of a good society, different views of humanity, different goals, different sense of humour, different interests and conversations cannot be very fruitfull when people disagree of everything.

post #20 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:58 AM
I'm not OK (I promise)

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb89 View Post
Forums in general are dying out. Online chat rooms are dying a slow painful death as well mostly due to social media. I remember back in the early-mid 2000's forums and chatroom's were popular. This place has been dying for over 5 years now. The reddit page for SA has a lot of traffic, but I am 30 and it is full of high school kids. This places has lots of 20s and 30 somethings.
Forums are definitely dying on the whole, but I think chatrooms are starting to pick up again because of Discord (well really just Discord specifically which happens to have servers which are basically chat rooms.) The internet is much smaller now in a way than in the past, because it's mostly a few big sites that everyone uses. Much like in real life it's been monopolised by large entities.

When I was a teenager I made my own forum at one point (though nobody used it, and I didn't advertise it anywhere.) I was on a few different forums and many of those people would have their own website (and I also had several of my own.) Larger sites started to become more popular around my mid teens (livejournal, bebo, myspace, deviantart) and then really took off around 2009-2010 where simultaneously Twitter and Facebook really took off (and many of the sites that formed around the late 2000s time have retained hegemony since then, though Facebook is gradually dying now I think.)

You also notice the culture of certain sites changed. YouTube initially was a lot less formulaic, but then the platform was sold to Google, and over time people discovered what worked and that they could make money. You can compare people's videos from 2009 to now and see the huge difference. (2009/2010 was also when vlogging started to become a big deal.) I actually think the period around from 2009-2013 was probably better after about 2014 cringy political stuff became a lot more popular where as while similar stuff existed before (The Amazing Atheist,) it wasn't quite at the same level of annoying due to a lack of outsider funding, and I guess people just not being such huge *******s to each other, fewer people viewing videos, and it felt more personable as an environment. The biggest trends were stuff like basic comedy, vlogs about people's lives (but not usually in an overly glamorised way,) autotune music stuff (which was entertaining and creative,) and a few viral meme type things.

I would say a lot of stuff started to change around the time of smartphones but really there was something else that seemed to happen around 2014. And at least on YT I don't even keep up with the most infamous of characters I've heard people murmuring about like the Paul brothers (and I plan to never watch their videos,) so a lot of my negative opinions are just formed around smaller channels I stumble on.

Edit: I don't think it's just me, I just found this article:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/5/18...ncers-creators

I think it's basically like this, when a site is relatively new things are relatively egalitarian and nobody clearly stands out too much. As things become more unbalanced (which they are wont to do, due to people constantly forming hierarchies,) people start to mimic the people who are most popular and everything moves in that direction. When the most popular people are complete *******s (which is probably what's happening now on YT.) Everyone becomes a bit of an ******* because that's what's informing the culture.

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.
Slavoj éiěek on the horrors of tulips.

🎸

Call me morbid, call me pale
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page