Request to have the nuclear attack thread reopened - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Almighty

Request to have the nuclear attack thread reopened

I would like my nuclear attack thread reopened.
http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...ttack-1665249/

It was not trolling. First use of nuclear weapons is an interesting topic. It has been the subject in certain films like the classics Dr Stranelove and Fail Safe.
In Dr Strangelove General Turgidson suggested a first strike with nuclear weapons would be a good option even though he admits we would get our hair mussed. But he predicts no more than 20 million casualties TOPS.

In Fail Safe Walter Groteschele civilian advisor to the Defense Department and Defense Secretary believes that a first strike is the only course of action and that the President should authorize a massive first strike on the Russians.

Here is what the wiki page says about the first use of nuclear weapons by the US. Notice the US has REFUSED to adopt a no-first-use policy.

Quote:
The United States has refused to adopt a no-first-use policy, saying that it "reserves the right to use" nuclear weapons first in the case of conflict. The U.S. doctrine for the use of nuclear weapons was revised most recently in the Nuclear Posture Review, released April 6, 2010.[25] The 2010 Nuclear Posture review reduces the role of U.S. nuclear weapons, stating that
"The fundamental role of U.S. nuclear weapons, which will continue as long as nuclear weapons exist, is to deter nuclear attack on the United States, our allies, and partners."
The U.S. doctrine also includes the following assurance to other states:
"The United States will not use or threaten to use nuclear weapons against non-nuclear weapons states that are party to the NPT and in compliance with their nuclear non-proliferation obligations."[25]
For states eligible for this assurance, the United States would not use nuclear weapons in response to a chemical or biological attack, but states that those responsible for such an attack would be held accountable and would face the prospect of a devastating conventional military response. Even for states not eligible for this assurance, the United States would consider the use of nuclear weapons only in extreme circumstances to defend the vital interests of the United States or its allies and partners. The Nuclear Posture Review also notes:
"It is in the U.S. interest and that of all other nations that the nearly 65-year record of nuclear non-use be extended forever."[25]
This supersedes the doctrine of the Bush Administration set forth in "Doctrine for Joint Nuclear Operations" and written under the direction of Air Force General Richard B. Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. The new doctrine envisions commanders requesting presidential approval to use nuclear weapons to preempt an attack by a nation or a terrorist group using weapons of mass destruction.[26] The draft also includes the option of using nuclear weapons to destroy known enemy stockpiles of nuclear, biological, or chemical weapons.

Kneel before me worms. I am God.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 01:19 PM
SAS Member

You could just start a new thread asking the broad question "under what circumstances do you think a pre-emptive strike with nuclear weapons would be justified?" rather than the previous thread - which frankly didn't make any sense, and was very silly.

^^^
(Assertiveness - Depression - Body Acceptance - Distress Intolerance - Low Self-Esteem - Panic Disorder - Perfectionism - Procrastination - Social Anxiety - Chronic Worrying and Generalised Anxiety Disorder - Disordered Eating - Bipolar Disorder - Health Anxiety)

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 11:26 PM
You spoony bard!

Looks like an interesting thread, wth.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Almighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TicklemeRingo View Post
You could just start a new thread asking the broad question "under what circumstances do you think a pre-emptive strike with nuclear weapons would be justified?" rather than the previous thread - which frankly didn't make any sense, and was very silly.
Silly? haven't you ever seen Dr Strangelove? There's nothing silly about nuclear war. And I didn't like being accused of trolling.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 11:10 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpia View Post
Silly? haven't you ever seen Dr Strangelove? There's nothing silly about nuclear war. And I didn't like being accused of trolling.
Yes I've seen dr Strangelove. I didn't accuse you of trolling, and I can understand you'd be unhappy at that accusation.
But I think you'd have to concede that talk of murdering millions of Russians in cold blood simply because of an unfortunate isolated incident with a fighter plane in Syria is not particularly logical or wise, to put it mildly.

^^^
(Assertiveness - Depression - Body Acceptance - Distress Intolerance - Low Self-Esteem - Panic Disorder - Perfectionism - Procrastination - Social Anxiety - Chronic Worrying and Generalised Anxiety Disorder - Disordered Eating - Bipolar Disorder - Health Anxiety)

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 11:12 AM
You spoony bard!

Quote:
Yes I've seen dr Strangelove. I didn't accuse you of trolling, and I can understand you'd be unhappy at that accusation.
But I think you'd have to concede that talk of murdering millions of Russians in cold blood simply because of an unfortunate isolated incident with a plane is not particularly logical or wise, to put it mildly.
You say that like it couldn't happen.. This is the same country that invaded another one not that long ago.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 11:17 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofdespair View Post
You say that like it couldn't happen.. This is the same country that invaded another one not that long ago.
Nuclear war between the west and Russia is extremely unlikely. No one wants it happen, and that includes the government and military establishments in both the USA and Russia. The two nations have absolutely no self-interest in going to war with each other.

^^^

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Almighty

Quote:
But I think you'd have to concede that talk of murdering millions of Russians in cold blood simply because of an unfortunate isolated incident with a fighter plane in Syria is not particularly logical or wise, to put it mildly.
When civilians die in war it's not murder, it's collateral damage. There were millions in collateral damage in WWII, but it save more lives in the long run. If we launch a surprise attack on Russia and destroy most of their nuclear capability they would just surrender, wouldn't they? Wouldn't that be best for world peace in the long run?

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 02:12 PM
Permanently Banned

Well, while you're at it?

Could you launch a surprise attack on See's Candies, destroy their window displays so they would just surrender and give me all of their dark chocolate covered, sea salt caramels??

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 03:35 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
When civilians die in war it's not murder, it's collateral damage. There were millions in collateral damage in WWII, but it save more lives in the long run. If we launch a surprise attack on Russia and destroy most of their nuclear capability they would just surrender, wouldn't they? Wouldn't that be best for world peace in the long run?
What war? The US isn't at war with Russia.

You're seriously going with this "let's bring on nuclear armageddon because a pilot was shot" ?

Crazy.

Ok now I am accusing you of trolling.

^^^

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Almighty

Quote:
What war? The US isn't at war with Russia.

You're seriously going with this "let's bring on nuclear armageddon because a pilot was shot" ?

Crazy.

Ok now I am accusing you of trolling.

Look here - an article in Politico:

Could U.S.-Russia Tensions Go Nuclear?

Believe it or not, hair-trigger launch alerts are still with us—and perhaps even more dangerous than during the Cold War.
By Bruce Blair a nuclear security expert and a research scholar at the Program on Science and Global Security at Princeton

The Russian warplane recently shot down inside Turkey’s border with Syria fits a pattern of brinkmanship and inadvertence that is raising tensions and distrust between Russia and U.S.-led NATO. Low-level military encounters between Moscow and Washington are fanning escalatory sparks not witnessed since the Cold War. And there exists a small but steadily growing risk that this escalation could morph by design or inadvertence into a nuclear threat.
The backdrop for these concerns is that both the United States and Russia maintain their nuclear command posts and many hundreds of strategic nuclear warheads on hair-trigger alert. This is a long-standing practice, or habit, driven by the inertia of the Cold War. The two sides adopted the accident-prone tactic known as launch-on-warning in order to ensure that their strategic forces could be fired before incoming warheads arrived. President Barack Obama’s recent nuclear employment guidance reiterated the need to preserve this option. Our nuclear command system and forces practice it several times a week. So do the Russians.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 08:46 PM
An Rí

Are there Russian members on this site? If so, it's completely reasonable that a thread considering the merits of annihilating them in a rain of nuclear fire should be closed. Talking about killing other members is probably against the rules.

"We have always held to the hope, the belief, the conviction, that there is a better life, a better world, beyond the horizon." -Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Almighty

Yeah my beautiful Russian gf Tatiana is still stranded in Moscow - as far as I know. Poor Tatiana could be vaporized!

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 02:45 PM

Language: English (British), German to some extent.
My Mood: Blah
Quote:
That's what scarpia should do really, the previous thread isn't going to be reopened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashel View Post
Are there Russian members on this site? If so, it's completely reasonable that a thread considering the merits of annihilating them in a rain of nuclear fire should be closed. Talking about killing other members is probably against the rules.
I don't know if there are Russian members, can't remember ever seeing any. But yes that's another angle of it.

Đhis girl is a tortoise, wandering in the long grass and streaming rain, between fire and ice in a sense
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 04:58 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteLydea View Post
I don't know if there are Russian members, can't remember ever seeing any. But yes that's another angle of it.
Yeah there are a few.

Quote:
Yeah my beautiful Russian gf Tatiana is still stranded in Moscow - as far as I know. Poor Tatiana could be vaporized!
I have very dear friends in Moscow. I don't take kindly to you joking about murdering them.

^^^

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Almighty

Look dude, it was just a hypothetical. A war games scenario, ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteLydea View Post
That's what scarpia should do really, the previous thread isn't going to be reopened.
OK - thanks for answering. I will start another thread. It's an interesting topic. Came up a LOT during the cold war. Yes, I'm old enough to remember the cold war. And the movie "The Day After". We were going to have a nuclear holocaust and we were all going to die horribly!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page