My AV says SAS isn't safe - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
uggla

Question

My AV says SAS isn't safe

When I google SAS, my anti-virus says "this website can be unreliable". I can also see how my AV blocks things when I enter the site. Just throwing that out there

that's what she said
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 05:30 AM
UnDeRrAtED

Language: SPanish and English fluently
ive had that happen in the past with my antivirus saying that sas isnt trusted or unsafe. its weird. though i remembered a user years back say he or she would be able to access personal information somehow. not trying to scare you or anyone but it makes me cautious.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence and than success is sure," Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 05:35 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 10:52 AM
Temporarily Banned

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
That doesn't surprise me lol, so many dodgy ads etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopadoMexicano View Post
ive had that happen in the past with my antivirus saying that sas isnt trusted or unsafe. its weird. though i remembered a user years back say he or she would be able to access personal information somehow. not trying to scare you or anyone but it makes me cautious.
There was a glitch that's happened a couple of times once I didn't experience it because it lasted an hour or so (that was maybe a month or two ago,) the other time it happened was a while back and it lasted an entire night I think. A bunch of people would end up logged in as each other and you could view people's email addresses etc was a huge privacy issue definitely don't use an email you care about for this site. You could probably view their pms too I think, I didn't read any but I know the pms listed weren't mine when I ended up on that page.

Technically speaking this is the worst website I've ever come across the insane bugs and poor management and communication like when they got hacked. All of these problems happened after VS took over though.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 11:59 AM
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
My AV doesn't give me a problem with the site but 1. maybe that's because I come here through a direct link and not Google where my AV would tell me the site safety; and 2. based on my experiences trying to browse here on my tablet without adblocking, I can completely believe this site is considered dangerous. Without adblocking I get hijacked CONSTANTLY. Like the very MINUTE I navigate here, my browser would be taken over by a popup message with no way for me to easily/safely get rid of it. (I had to switch to an adblocking browser just to be able to visit SAS on my tablet. With the exception of a single visit to Tumblr, in all the time I've used tablets I have NEVER dealt with this issue anywhere else. NEVER.)

The number of ads my browser shows me blocking when I visit on my laptop is just insane. BTW, on laptop I come to SAS with Trend Micro antivirus, AdBlock Plus, and the Brave adblocking browser. Yep, all at once. SAS scary.

I even dedicated a thread to the constant hijackings (was going to link to it here, then decided why bother) in the hopes that enough users complaining and gathering enough info would convince admins to act on fixing what is obviously a hinky advertising system...but after over a year of zero action aside from "I don't see what you're seeing, can you replicate the incident?" (are you kidding me??--NO I don't want to try that again!) and eliminating hijackers on an ineffective one-by-one basis like whack-a-mole, I figured they're not going to fix anything. :/

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 09:39 PM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Of course this site isn't safe lol. I thought we all knew that. Its been hacked a few times, I just accept the risk .

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 09:41 PM
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
Well, my AV is marking SAS as safe on Google, so... \_(ツ)_/

Interestingly, it has no rating for the site where I copy the shruggie emoji from, so I take my risk to make that face.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 10:21 PM
Temporarily Banned

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehuti88 View Post
Well, my AV is marking SAS as safe on Google, so... \_(ツ)_/

Interestingly, it has no rating for the site where I copy the shruggie emoji from, so I take my risk to make that face.
I decided to try and recreate it. I know the smiley face is the katakana for tsu, and how to do the arms, couldn't figure out the hands though google tells me they're macrons. But since I couldn't do it without googling this smiley will remain handless.

\_(ツ)_/
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 02:42 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
I always use Incognito mode with Chrome and I use the uBlock Origin extension. And I use maybe a couple of other extensions. I pretty much block everything until sites I use start to break and then I dial it back just enough to make it still functional. It's pretty much the only way to use the internet now. Contrary to what some others have said, there are plenty of sites that are near unusable even (maybe even especially) when you use blockers. I gave up on news articles because they always pop those stupid things up trying to get me to turn off my ad blocker.

Amazon often fights with me when I try to log in if my system clock changes for some reason (which it often will if you dual boot Windows and Linux).

I have never honestly had this site do anything really bad like hijacking my browser or anything. But if you're on the internet and your browser starts doing weirness and won't let you click off a page, do the Ctrl + Alt +Del and launch the task manager right away and end the process that keeps your browser open. When you reopen the browser (if you have it set to reopen all the pages you were using last time) sometimes if you are fast enough you can close the problem tab before it gets you again. And then you would obviously want to clear all your browsing history.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 05:10 AM

00F
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 03:09 PM
bipolar

What does "not safe" actually mean on this particular site? Is it just that people can see your PM's or email address, find out your name etc - or is it more sinister as in they can access other data stored on your computer?

I've had situations quite often where I'll go to add a picture in an album on my page (back when I use to do that) - and you'll get a whole page of other people's photos. That was pretty weird I must admit. Don't remember ever seeing other people's PM's etc.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 05:33 PM
Wayfaring Stranger

My Mood: Twisted
I make it a habit of never going to the main-page(www.socialanxietysupport.***, because that's where i got viruses in the past. And on the forum i use two adblocker and never got infected or a warning from an AV. I don't get ****ty adds either which is a blessing.

What is a man?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 11:08 AM
SAS Member

Language: Dansk, English, und ein bisschen Deutsch
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
What does "not safe" actually mean on this particular site? Is it just that people can see your PM's or email address, find out your name etc - or is it more sinister as in they can access other data stored on your computer?

I've had situations quite often where I'll go to add a picture in an album on my page (back when I use to do that) - and you'll get a whole page of other people's photos. That was pretty weird I must admit. Don't remember ever seeing other people's PM's etc.
This site doesn't exactly have a great track record of security or protecting user's information - in fact, they deliberately avoid complying with privacy regulations and have been very slow at adopting technology for securing the site which was requested by members for years.

Based on what I remember, this site has been hacked (allowing hackers to potentially obtain all information stored), had many glitches (e.g. people would be logged in as other users), and had malware and virus in ads.
For the first two, only information you have shared with the website could be leaked, for the ads, your local phone or computer could potentially be compromised, depending on what the malicious ads targetted and the anti-virus software you're running.

I don't want it to sound like this site is much worse than others - I'm not sure they are. Web security, and especially forums, has been lacking for a long time. But this site is own by a large company now and isn't just a small pet project by an individual, so that does seem to put larger responsibility on them to make sure the site is as secure as it can be.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2020, 01:16 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milco View Post
This site doesn't exactly have a great track record of security or protecting user's information - in fact, they deliberately avoid complying with privacy regulations and have been very slow at adopting technology for securing the site which was requested by members for years.

Based on what I remember, this site has been hacked (allowing hackers to potentially obtain all information stored), had many glitches (e.g. people would be logged in as other users), and had malware and virus in ads.
For the first two, only information you have shared with the website could be leaked, for the ads, your local phone or computer could potentially be compromised, depending on what the malicious ads targetted and the anti-virus software you're running.

I don't want it to sound like this site is much worse than others - I'm not sure they are. Web security, and especially forums, has been lacking for a long time. But this site is own by a large company now and isn't just a small pet project by an individual, so that does seem to put larger responsibility on them to make sure the site is as secure as it can be.
Okay - thanks for answering me mate, I appreciate it. Yeah, I remember people mentioning it being hacked a few times, and as I think I mentioned I've sometimes seen other people's pictures etc. That was about it though - and obviously I wasn't really interested in seeing what else I could find.

I'll keep it in mind. I don't really care about people knowing who I am on here, but malware and potentially being able to have further access to my laptop or phone would be a problem.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page