better integration of meds/herbs/books reviews - Social Anxiety Forum
View Poll Results: Do you want to see a dedicated review forum as per my suggestion?
Yes 3 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

better integration of meds/herbs/books reviews

I see this site as such an AMAZING resource. I think i'm feeling better already, its kind of like a low level group therapy setting.

but one thing i'd like improved is and this is more a site issue i suppose than a forum one but I don't get why people aren't posting more experiences with medication, herbs, books etc. From looking at the homepage it says the latest treatment experience was 1 week ago, theres no way thats doing any justice to the body of information available from all the people who visit this site. I mean a this very minute theres over 300 ppl on the forums (and prob another 100 reading the health pages of the site itself. Revolutionhealth has more reviews than this site for social anexity disorder but this site is dedicated to the thing.

so can I gently request a little brainstorm kind of thread to try and figure out how to get more reviews about products and therapy people have used to beat this thing?

I mean I know people post about their medication in the medication forum, herbs in the nurtrion forum etc, but its not formal in any way with any kind of rating, its ad hoc and more general discussion that anything else... it's hard to quantify and examine.

so my suggestion is can we have a specific sub forum specifcally for reviews in the recovery section, in which the mods will be only ones allowed add threads (corresponding to treatments on the main site), all threads will relate to one mechanism of recovery (lexapro, prozac, st. johns, wort, a certain book, cbt therapy, pets for support etc.) and each thread would be polled with say 5 options which indicate degrees of helpfulness. Then in the thread itself people can give can give details.

mods would place a sticky thread at top which people can suggest new items similar to the way its done in the main site treatment expieriences.

I think this would be such a good idea I'm prepared to annoy the mods about it alot so goodbye to all in advance if I'm banned.

I'm ran forums/sites before on other topics and I know its hard to change thing up, but the current reviews thing (external to the forums) is too quite, this site deservies better than 1 review a week, integrate proper polled reviews into the forum and reviews will be added to much more frequently I'm sure of it.

sorry if I've stepped on peoples toes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I use a lot http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1

its very helpful. But something a little more controlled with polling would be great here I think.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 07:16 AM
SAS Member

I think that's a very good idea. Voted yes!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 12:17 PM
User Requested Permanent Ban

GREAT timing with this thread. You are most certainly not stepping on anyone toes.

I am in the process of reevaluating how everything is set up and organized on SAS (don't worry, the forums aren't going anywhere!) and this is one of the things I've been contemplating.

Currently, we are using Censura for the "treatment experiences", but I'm considering moving the entire "Treatment" section over to Drupal and then just linking to the forum for people to ask questions, share experiences, etc. on specific treatments.

You're specific way of handling this is great. I'd love to hear if anyone else has any thoughts or feedback.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

hey drew, installed drupal on my local machine once but never got into the nitty gritty details of it. I've heard it has a higher learning curve than something like Joomla for instance though this is mainly because it is so configurable. What you using for the main site content itself anyhow?

Also I'd recommend calling it treatment reviews as opposed to expericnes because people use the term reviews more in regular language and including on Google. This tool tells you want people are searching for (semi accurate estimates only - not 100% exact- but good for an idea) https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

type in treatment experiences and treatment reviews, theres about 38,000 more monlth searches for the later, so potentially your missing out on a lot of traffic from Google. Them numbers relate to general treatments reviews and experiences but people relate more to the term reviews I think. I also recommend using that tool to find out what information is important to people with SA in general and you could slightly alter you pages to target extra terms (for extra traffic from Google)

but anyway glad you think my idea is good.

You could leave experiences there on the main site for the moment and still 'trial' a review section on the forums. If its doesn't work you remove, nothing has gone from the main site. I know there a different cats of treatments such as scripts, herbs, books etc. but I think you could get away with putting them all in the same board WITH a 'Review Contents' or a 'Review Index' sticky thread at the top. In that thread you would have it broken into sections (meds, herbs etc) with links to the individual threads, thread would look something like this: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224 and be locked. Then as mentioned initally a thread would be needed for people to suggest new review threads.

The problem with this though, is trying to avoid dicussion in it. If each person was to only post once then people could sort by replies to see the most reviewed treatments but VB doesn't have an option for that I do not think. Then again a small about of discussion could have merit, for instance if someone seeks clarification on something mentioned in a review. How long can people edit their posts for on this board?

I haven;t used vbulliten since a few versions ago but I know that before it was capable of creating a kind of fake forum which actually linked to another webpage instead of an actual forum. I wonder is it possible to do the same with threads. so you create a review forum, and just add links directly to http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...roducts/9.html and other treatments etc. so its give much tighter integration between forum and site without changing your structure.

man I ramble.... sorry but I've ran sites since I was about 15, making them work better is a passion.

not many others a replying, can people please provide feedback. How many times you go to amazon just for the reviews? how many times you go to iherb just for the reviews? This site has potential to become something like that for SA suffers, please provide thoughts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 08:38 PM
User Requested Permanent Ban

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. I'll certainly keep you, as well as everyone else, updated as I continue to work on this.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page