Advice forum, new forum feature? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Advice forum, new forum feature?

I've been thinking sometimes it's hard to tell when people want advice and when people don't on here and are just venting, so why not a forum which is specifically for seeking advice, so we know the person wants feedback from members that might help them out or give them suggestions for their situations and this would probably save the people like me who are frustrated with trying to reply to a vent post that wants no advice and a vent post that wants advice, thoughts?! This would help reduce unsolicited advice maybe? Could be a brain storming forum as well, brain storming or life plan forum where members help each other with life plans together etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 10:49 PM
Permanently Banned

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 10:53 PM
Permanently Banned

seems totally unnecessary. There are enough subsections as it is. Just learn how to give advice without being rude or hostile. It's not that hard.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

bump

Not everyone wants advice though, here. Some members just want to vent and sometimes even are rude when you tell them what they could do to improve their situation. So I don't want to reply to those posts, I want to reply to people who actually want advice.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 08:37 AM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Idk, I feel like most people that post in the "coping with social anxiety" section are looking for advice. As far as the "frustration" section its hard to tell but I do feel like most want advice or they wouldn't be posting. To me if you want to strictly vent with no input then why not just blog it.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin001 View Post
Idk, I feel like most people that post in the "coping with social anxiety" section are looking for advice. As far as the "frustration" section its hard to tell but I do feel like most want advice or they wouldn't be posting. To me if you want to strictly vent with no input then why not just blog it.
Yeah I guess that is true. It's hard to tell though, what the person wants out of the post sometimes. Do they want support in the form of possible solutions, advice, in the form of "it'll be okay", or in the form of "I just wanna talk about". The latter two could be meant for frustration where the first two could be meant for seeking advice.

EDIT the forum description says : Ask questions, give advice and share your knowledge of how to cope with SA. If you are over 30, you can also post in our 30+ Members forum if you prefer. So yeah I didn't see that thank you Kevin001!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 11:50 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepie View Post
Not everyone wants advice though, here. Some members just want to vent and sometimes even are rude when you tell them what they could do to improve their situation. So I don't want to reply to those posts, I want to reply to people who actually want advice.
Keep at it, and just try to remember that if people are being rude to you in response to genuine advice, it's most likely a reflection on how their problems are affecting them -- not a reflection on them, or you.

I have been sworn at and name-called here from time to time, even in response to innocuous comments. Over time, I've learned to just be like "whatever" about it. It's more reflective of their state of mind than anything else (or an issue with themselves, as some people are just plain toxic).

And, when you give advice, you are not just being heard by the original poster. There are other people reading, too (lurkers, even non-members) who could pick up on a few pointers. So, even if the author of the thread grouches at you, there may be observers who are a little more (silently) appreciative.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 11:44 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bitchy
I read your post wrong so if you saw my original one then disregard. I agree that it can cause confusion sometimes, but I think the amount of threads that are seeking or don't care if they get advice greatly outweighs the ones that are just venting to warrant a completely separate forum to weed out the venting only threads. It would probably be better if people mentioned that they don't want advice or they're just venting in their original post. They will most likely still get some advice replies sometimes, but it would reduce the amount they get.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 11:47 AM
Aesthetically Challenged

My Mood: Goofy
Well I don't know about anybody else. But I'm going to give out unsolicited advice regardless.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page