Vegan experience wanted! - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
stickler for paperwork

Vegan experience wanted!

I'm wanting to go vegan soon. Is there anything that you as a vegan wish you knew when you were starting out? Good health habits?
I know I could look this stuff up on blogs but I prefer real people telling casual advice that doesn't feel like propaganda.

bird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 11:32 PM

My Mood: Relaxed
I used to eat soy a lot but I was never vegan. I just ate a lot of soy because I liked it. I would not go full vegan just for the hell of it. I don't think it really makes you healthier (probably doesn't hurt as long as you're still getting full nutrition though). The only reason I can really think of to go out of your way to do it is if you have ethical problems with meat. Which a lot of vegans do. I don't so I eat meat and soy and meatless alternatives for variety.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 12:14 AM
alien monk

My Mood: Devilish
not much to it really. open your mouth and put food in. don't put any dead animals in there, nor other animal products.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 07:44 AM
experimental sincerity

Not a vegan, but sort of looking to move in that direction. Something I've been thinking is that we often use dairy to add 'excitement' to a meal ('this feels a bit boring...let's plonk some cheese on'). I'm like that, and if you're like that, you'd need to work out how to replace that excitement factor. Toasted nuts/seed mixes, Engevita (crispy yeast flakes), crispy fried onions/seaweed, tapenades (olive, sun dried tomato, etc.), artichoke hearts/grilled peppers from a jar, creative dressings and relishes (chermoula?), nut butters, fresh herbs and good quality olive oil should all help.

It seems to me that the way you have to think differently when switching from an omnivore diet to vegetarianism (because 'meat-replacement and two veg' is not hugely satisfying), you have to also think outside the box when going from vegetarianism to veganism. I'm not sure in what way, but I hope to work it out in time.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 08:58 AM
SAS Member

i dont know where you live OP but im in ireland and use UK brands.....so firsttly bread, i buy Hovis seven seed bread (its vegan) Pure butter (vegan too) alpro yogurts (vegan) alpro vegan milk almond (vegan) or the alpro milk can be cashew, hazelnut or soya.....you can get tofu easily in any health food store or supermarket.....also i eat Kelkin Muesli (vegan too).....thats a few things off the top of my head

also to eat healthily eat plenty of fruit and veg....i also use extra virgin olive oil.....and eat seeds like chia seeds
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
stickler for paperwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1984 View Post
not much to it really. open your mouth and put food in. don't put any dead animals in there, nor other animal products.
you are my herooooo.

also, do you take b12/d/iron supplements? I thought I had to take a daily supplement for vitamins which I am really bad at remembering to do, but turns out I can take like one a week.

bird
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
stickler for paperwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishkarl View Post
i dont know where you live OP but im in ireland and use UK brands.....so firsttly bread, i buy Hovis seven seed bread (its vegan) Pure butter (vegan too) alpro yogurts (vegan) alpro vegan milk almond (vegan) or the alpro milk can be cashew, hazelnut or soya.....you can get tofu easily in any health food store or supermarket.....also i eat Kelkin Muesli (vegan too).....thats a few things off the top of my head

also to eat healthily eat plenty of fruit and veg....i also use extra virgin olive oil.....and eat seeds like chia seeds
I think Alpro sells in Canada but the large supermarket chain doesn't (I think). the large supermarket's a piece of sh*t for vegan products. I'll try to find a small one in my town. It'll be tougher going to it but it is worth it

bird
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
stickler for paperwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidfoxes View Post
Not a vegan, but sort of looking to move in that direction. Something I've been thinking is that we often use dairy to add 'excitement' to a meal ('this feels a bit boring...let's plonk some cheese on'). I'm like that, and if you're like that, you'd need to work out how to replace that excitement factor. Toasted nuts/seed mixes, Engevita (crispy yeast flakes), crispy fried onions/seaweed, tapenades (olive, sun dried tomato, etc.), artichoke hearts/grilled peppers from a jar, creative dressings and relishes (chermoula?), nut butters, fresh herbs and good quality olive oil should all help.

It seems to me that the way you have to think differently when switching from an omnivore diet to vegetarianism (because 'meat-replacement and two veg' is not hugely satisfying), you have to also think outside the box when going from vegetarianism to veganism. I'm not sure in what way, but I hope to work it out in time.
Hm, I think my biggest help has been a sense of disgust with animal products, which has made me less and less excited about plonking cheese on things. I don't eat much cheese kind of naturally, except on pizza, but I only eat Neapolitan pizza with like the 4-5 bocconcini balls, and pizza is only sometimes. I love Neapolitan pizza so much, and I think I'd still enjoy it without cheese. (I wish restaurants tried vegan cheese Neapolitan pizzas, since it can't be made at home.) Other than that, my biggest worry is the hidden ingredients in effing everything. Stuff that feels like they could so easily substitute it, or like they put it in there just for the heck of it.
My favorite dish in the world is panang curry and it has fish sauce, but if you ask for it vegan at some restaurants, they'll do it and it tastes the same...

Yeah, I think the key is probably to not overthink the paradigm shift? Like, going vegetarian was really easy. I never have to think about vegetarianism because I crave non-meat. I think as long as your (general "you") tongue is connected to your soul, you'll crave what makes you feel better about yourself. There are hidden non-vegetarian ingredients too, but they're not as hard to avoid as hidden or just plain unnecessarily ubiquitous non-vegan ingredients (I think this will be the part that requires the most conscious effort). The other thing will probably be cooking for ourselves more, which is a good thing anyway. Anyway, that's what I'm guessing from my minimal experience trying to go vegan so far.

bird
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 11:33 AM
alien monk

My Mood: Devilish
Quote:
Originally Posted by pied vert View Post
you are my herooooo.

also, do you take b12/d/iron supplements? I thought I had to take a daily supplement for vitamins which I am really bad at remembering to do, but turns out I can take like one a week.
I hope not

I take a mens multivitamin and executive b when I remember to. nothing fancy.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 04:12 AM
experimental sincerity

Quote:
Hm, I think my biggest help has been a sense of disgust with animal products, which has made me less and less excited about plonking cheese on things. I don't eat much cheese kind of naturally, except on pizza, but I only eat Neapolitan pizza with like the 4-5 bocconcini balls, and pizza is only sometimes. I love Neapolitan pizza so much, and I think I'd still enjoy it without cheese. (I wish restaurants tried vegan cheese Neapolitan pizzas, since it can't be made at home.) Other than that, my biggest worry is the hidden ingredients in effing everything. Stuff that feels like they could so easily substitute it, or like they put it in there just for the heck of it.
My favorite dish in the world is panang curry and it has fish sauce, but if you ask for it vegan at some restaurants, they'll do it and it tastes the same...

Yeah, I think the key is probably to not overthink the paradigm shift? Like, going vegetarian was really easy. I never have to think about vegetarianism because I crave non-meat. I think as long as your (general "you") tongue is connected to your soul, you'll crave what makes you feel better about yourself. There are hidden non-vegetarian ingredients too, but they're not as hard to avoid as hidden or just plain unnecessarily ubiquitous non-vegan ingredients (I think this will be the part that requires the most conscious effort). The other thing will probably be cooking for ourselves more, which is a good thing anyway. Anyway, that's what I'm guessing from my minimal experience trying to go vegan so far.
I don't think my tongue is connected to my soul, because I certainly don't always crave what makes me feel better about myself. There are certainly times when I crave ready salted crisps, apple crumble with custard, samosas and beers : D

But I do understand the disgust thing! Only to me sometimes it has to work the other way round - stop eating something through sheer willpower ('come on, you're not a baby'), then wait a year or two, then the protective disgust kicks in.

So you can see why I'm thinking hard about the paradigm shift. It's nice when it all comes naturally, but if it doesn't, I have to put in the effort. I think it's easier for the 'eat to live' kind of people, because then all they need to consider is the nutritional value.

Maybe it's different where you are, but in the U.K. there are a lot of ultra-processed vegan foods. And, like you, I worry about all the dodgy ingredients. Alpro stuff has them, vegan 'meats' have them, so does vegan 'cream' and most 'ice creams'. That said, I'm not really interested in meat replacements, so that makes things somewhat easier (or harder?).

Got a favourite vegan recipe to share?

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 06:04 AM
SAS Member

Language: english
My Mood: Crappy
Drink lots of water. Start slowly when adding fiber. Eat the rainbow. Try new recipes.

Take b12 supplement or just eat or drink stuff with b12. Like there are plant milks that have a lot of b 12. There are meat subsitutes with b12 but they processed.
It is best to eat mainly non processed foods.Enjoy!!!!πŸ’šπŸ’šβ€β€πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜ΊπŸ˜ΊπŸ˜Ίπ Ÿ˜ΈπŸ˜Έ

Veganism is fun!!
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 06:53 AM
Permanently Banned

At one stage in my life I had a very strict diet regime I would only eat fish and plant based no sweeteners nothing with yeast or anything processed unless it as vegan cheese or something along those lines.

My tips would be to a lot of greens which is where you will get your vitamins that come from red meat. and try to meal prep because one of the hardest things for me was not being Able to buy food, because any ready made Food for sale wouldn’t suit my dietary requirements it would usually have some type of sauce with sugar in it or yeast/bread or some type of oil that I also wasn’t willing to consume, unless it was plain rice which is hard to come across sometimes, so yeah try to meal prep it would help with cravings
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 07:10 PM
Permanently Banned

i recommend starting slowly/expanding your vegan 'circle'.. humans have wrapped the tentacly arms of animal-involvedness around nearly every product imaginable* eg carmine in nail polish, lanolin in lip balm, silk in pillowcases, beeswax in facial wash, etc. it's potentially defeatingly overwhelming if you attempt to 'go vegan' all at once. veganism is so unlike vegetarianism-in that-as a vegetarian, you aren't so aware of the products you consume on a regular basis. veganism is a lifestyle.

ps. i don't/won't ever identify as a vegan. if a label is necessary, i prefer 'plant-based' (:

eta

also, @rabidfoxes is absolutely right. vegan substitutes for meat ('vegan' bacon, 'vegan' sausage, etc.) and dairy ('vegan' cheese, etc.) are so often trash. be certain to read ingredients labels if you choose to go this route; buuuut whole foods are def far better/healthier.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
stickler for paperwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafune View Post
i recommend starting slowly/expanding your vegan 'circle'.. humans have wrapped the tentacly arms of animal-involvedness around nearly every product imaginable* eg carmine in nail polish, lanolin in lip balm, silk in pillowcases, beeswax in facial wash, etc. it's potentially defeatingly overwhelming if you attempt to 'go vegan' all at once. veganism is so unlike vegetarianism-in that-as a vegetarian, you aren't so aware of the products you consume on a regular basis. veganism is a lifestyle.

ps. i don't/won't ever identify as a vegan. if a label is necessary, i prefer 'plant-based' (:

eta

also, @rabidfoxes is absolutely right. vegan substitutes for meat ('vegan' bacon, 'vegan' sausage, etc.) and dairy ('vegan' cheese, etc.) are so often trash. be certain to read ingredients labels if you choose to go this route; buuuut whole foods are def far better/healthier.
yeah :-(
what do you think of beyond burgers anyway?

and okay, I couldn't resist: why not call yourself vegan?

bird
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 04:04 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
yeah :-(
what do you think of beyond burgers anyway?

and okay, I couldn't resist: why not call yourself vegan?
if they're sold in fast food restaurants, i'm inclined to think they're not meant to be consumed regularly! that said, i can't go to costco and i don't do ffrs so what do i really know x)

oh well strictly-speaking i'm not one! i have clothes from years back that i still wear that have animal origins (wool, primarily; i do take care of my clothes tho so at least it wasn't for nothing); if i can't find/don't feel like searching for a substitute for a skincare product that has some animal derivative in it like beeswax, i'll still use it; i live w ppl that aren't even vegetarian so sometimes i fall off the vegan wagon when someone's cooked yummy-looking food that may have required butter or something :< but i also feel like i might be 'priced out' of living like this for very long. i'm still finding it difficult to find healthy and tasty vegan but affordable foods. which makes absolutely no sense to me because shouldn't the product requiring animal-rearing cost more. but i'm also a lousy cook so maybe i'm still not doing supermarkets/groceries right.

anyway, ultimately, tho i find the vegan ideology too dogmatic/strict for me. it's really alienating of not only non-members but also members that aren't 'hardcore'/super dedicated. and for me, the point is to reduce consumption of animal-based products as much as is bearable for ppl as individuals. otherwise, this 'movement' continues being niche and esoteric and blah.

derp sorry, i got way more into this than i wanted.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
stickler for paperwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafune View Post
if they're sold in fast food restaurants, i'm inclined to think they're not meant to be consumed regularly! that said, i can't go to costco and i don't do ffrs so what do i really know x)

oh well strictly-speaking i'm not one! i have clothes from years back that i still wear that have animal origins (wool, primarily; i do take care of my clothes tho so at least it wasn't for nothing); if i can't find/don't feel like searching for a substitute for a skincare product that has some animal derivative in it like beeswax, i'll still use it; i live w ppl that aren't even vegetarian so sometimes i fall off the vegan wagon when someone's cooked yummy-looking food that may have required butter or something :< but i also feel like i might be 'priced out' of living like this for very long. i'm still finding it difficult to find healthy and tasty vegan but affordable foods. which makes absolutely no sense to me because shouldn't the product requiring animal-rearing cost more. but i'm also a lousy cook so maybe i'm still not doing supermarkets/groceries right.

anyway, ultimately, tho i find the vegan ideology too dogmatic/strict for me. it's really alienating of not only non-members but also members that aren't 'hardcore'/super dedicated. and for me, the point is to reduce consumption of animal-based products as much as is bearable for ppl as individuals. otherwise, this 'movement' continues being niche and esoteric and blah.

derp sorry, i got way more into this than i wanted.
too into it? But I was just about to ask you what you think of PETA!
just kidding, I guess not.

maybe you do or don't care to talk about it, but the world is so far from reaching pure veganism that alienating people who are not-quite-there but who make a significant effort compared to the average person would seem detrimental to the cause, which in the case of this cause means animal lives. A serious vegan should try to help you not discourage you, and a person who cares hopefully can put aside differences when it comes to advocating for animals in general. you probably don't put down veganism to non-vegans or anything though, and that would be the only bad side of that. I guess that brings up the difficulty in finding the point at which someone is being too complacent in calling themselves vegan enough.
It's also possible that the most vegan thing someone could do is to not necessarily restrict what kind of food they eat, but to try to source as much otherwise wasted food as possible.

bird
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 11:03 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
too into it? But I was just about to ask you what you think of PETA!
just kidding, I guess not.

maybe you do or don't care to talk about it, but the world is so far from reaching pure veganism that alienating people who are not-quite-there but who make a significant effort compared to the average person would seem detrimental to the cause, which in the case of this cause means animal lives. A serious vegan should try to help you not discourage you, and a person who cares hopefully can put aside differences when it comes to advocating for animals in general. you probably don't put down veganism to non-vegans or anything though, and that would be the only bad side of that. I guess that brings up the difficulty in finding the point at which someone is being too complacent in calling themselves vegan enough.
It's also possible that the most vegan thing someone could do is to not necessarily restrict what kind of food they eat, but to try to source as much otherwise wasted food as possible.
n_n

i'm not in a really traditional 'animal advocate' place about this. for eg i'll never ever deviate from at least vegetarianism in my life and i'd sooner starve a few days if necessary than eat animals, but i don't begrudge others their carnivorous habits, exactly. it's more that the animal (esp meat) industry is really disgusting in terms of animal treatment/the conditions seem to me terrifyingly systematically inhumane to a degree that shouldn't be supported by/rewarded with consumption >_> it's another story if farm animals are raised in a family farm. i think that could be okay depending on how the animals are treated.

ofc not (:

right, it would probably be more sensible to call it a sliding scale/'x' % vegan than vegan or not.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 11:33 PM
No hugging, no learning

I'm more plant based rather than vegan as I still own leather shoes but diet wise have cut down on all meat except the odd bit of fish and had vege alternatives. Some of the pasta I eat still uses eggs but I have found the 90% change fairly easy (had not eaten any red meat for a few years anyway). Been having the newly released plant pies lately which are great. I enjoy soy milk too as a main hydration source along with water.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
stickler for paperwork

I actually don't understand what the issue is with continuing to wear non-vegan clothes that were purchased before you went vegan. I understand not wanting to, but I don't think it is harmful to? Other than possibly influencing other people.

bird
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 10:05 AM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Quote:
I actually don't understand what the issue is with continuing to wear non-vegan clothes that were purchased before you went vegan. I understand not wanting to, but I don't think it is harmful to? Other than possibly influencing other people.
Being vegan is more than food, its not supporting any animal products. Wearing something you stand against is being hypocritical. Its like me wearing a satanic shirt just because I owned it before coming to Christ. Huge no no .

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page