Sources for Calm & Stability in the Midst of a Pandemic - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
prince charming

Thumbs up

Sources for Calm & Stability in the Midst of a Pandemic

There is, understandably, a lot of attention for the rapid unfolding of the COVID-19 pandemic and it's potential ramifications. Also on SAS. It's easy to get dragged into worry, anxiety, panic, or overwhelm. Especially when you're prone to those. I think it's important to maintain emotional and cognitive hygiene amidst the drama, so to speak. There isn't a dedicated place on SAS for sharing your ways of doing so, as far as I know. So this is an invitation to share your calm and stability promoting, constructive sources and/or thoughts.

Things Keep Getting Scarier. He Can Help You Cope.

((( connect or perish )))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 04:33 AM
bipolar

Excellent idea for a thread mate.

I was really panicking before but I seem to be handling it a bit better now. I listen to a lot of news so I know exactly what the situation is in my country - and in a lot of other parts of the world. It's important to know the facts with this.

After all these years I should have better ways of dealing with panic or anxiety - but I really don't. Mine can be very extreme sometimes and can even morph into mania - so I tend to just wait it out. It usually passes eventually.

Of course I also call my wife and tell her about it sometimes - that can help a bit. She's very good and knows how I am. In the past if I'm out she'll just talk to me and tell me to go home. Also I take a Valium if necessary.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 04:48 AM
bipolar

There's also things like this - I like Tibetan Singing Bowls, they tend to have a calming effect.

And I have in the past used this guy, sort of like a guided meditation/self-hypnosis.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
prince charming

@harrison
Thanks! Glad you're handling this a bit better now. I can relate. At first it wasn't a big deal, but a little later I had to work hard to escape the gravity pull of anxiety. The fuel was the bombardment with news I exposed myself to, a continuous source of uncertainty and hyperbole's. Besides the nature of the news, it also disturbed my routine, which had a significant additional effect on me. Coupled with a bunch of horrible nights in a row, things were going South fast. So I put myself on a data diet, which payed off immediately. Just a couple of moments to stay up to date and sometimes some wider view on the whole thing are enough for me. I avoid fear mongering "media" like the plague (pun intended) and gravitate towards experts and teletext. The latter is perfect to stay up to date in a couple of minutes.

Dealing with anxiety is an ongoing challenge. I don't think you should have been better at it after many years, especially when it comes to panic. Waiting out the storm sometimes simply is the most sane option you have. I've been there too.

It must be nice to have a wife you can call and share each others concerns. I stay in touch with friends and family, which means a lot. Benzo's are made for emergencies like these. Great you have them around. I very rarely take them, but knowing I could take them has pulled me through a couple of emergencies over the years.

Part of my routine is meditation, in the morning and evening. I mostly use the music of Klaus Wiese or Mathias Grassow for it. Both also have records with singing bowls. Sometimes, when I feel anxious, I listen to their music on my headphones for hours in a row. It helps to transition from contraction to expansion, so to speak. Great stuff!

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2020, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
prince charming

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2020, 05:55 AM
Temporarily Banned

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
^ Oh yeah I saw someone did that with the Ophelia painting.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2020, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
prince charming

@Persephone The Dread
I love the creativity this crisis is stirring up in people. Who thinks this only brings up the worst in people isn't looking. Just stumbled on lockdown tennis.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 12:41 AM
SAS Member

Ignoring all the stuff that cause anxiety and stress in mind, is the only way to get through it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 02:00 AM
experimental sincerity

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
There's also things like this - I like Tibetan Singing Bowls, they tend to have a calming effect.
My boyfriend plays that stuff a lot. I was very sceptical to begin with, but now I find it very relaxing. The cats love it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan Jie View Post
So I put myself on a data diet, which payed off immediately. Just a couple of moments to stay up to date and sometimes some wider view on the whole thing are enough for me.
I did this too. It's annoying that even good newspapers resort to tactics designed to cut you deep at an emotional level. It's as if everything is in caps lock when I read the news. I stopped reading news on Twitter because there it's like it's in caps lock and font size 72. I just can't take it.

Another thing that I found helpful was a communication diet. Some days I don't open forums/chat servers/places where I can comment at all and instead spend my time in solitude. Online I no longer argue with discourteous people and just block them. It has made me a lot calmer and happier.

Yoga and bike rides have made me much happier too. I always shied away from yoga as a thing for new-agish hipster moms but I was wrong. Another thing that helps is going to bed a couple hours before sleep, screens-off, and just reading lots. That said, I am kind of priviledged. I can do lots of reading and take a walk in the afternoon because I don't need to be at work.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 05:01 AM
Permanently Banned

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
Talking

no sadness emotion

i see all over âacey▀ookie

just anger for me in disappointing / tragic circumstances

Action, not tears. just turn the situ upside-down.? stolen wallet? get it back. get more out of the aggressor

or heal own's wound. no inpatient times
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 03:10 AM
SAS Member

No doubt covid has altered the thinking of mind, and everybody is fearful from this virus. That fear is more dangerous than the virus itself, so in my home I do meditation and yoga for calming my mind.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page