Share your experience with supplements - Page 8 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #141 of 149 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 04:24 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Goofy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauris View Post
Most people will not benefit from multivitamins and nutrients, as they help only in severe deficiency cases, plus the most stuff people buy over the counter has terrible bioavailability and these kind of vitamins don't cross blood-brain barrier so it has no effect on the brain besides placebo.

If you want to supplement with something that actually works, you should look into nootropics, like L-Tyrosine or l-phenylalanine for dopamine boost, L-Theanine for anxiety, Tianeptine for depression, Choline for focus and memory, etc.
Regarding how low are foods in vitamins and minerals in markets, I think almost everyone would benefit from a vit and min supplement. Unless you grow your own organic food. The difference in taste is big as well.

Fruits and vegetables from my grandma have actual taste compared to those I buy from the market, who taste like cardboard. Chickens grown on land too, the meat has a darkish brown color, not white, that is the natural color, as for taste, it's like eating wild catch (deer, boar, rabbit).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 08:12 AM
Lauris

My Mood: Asleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeReloaded View Post
Regarding how low are foods in vitamins and minerals in markets, I think almost everyone would benefit from a vit and min supplement. Unless you grow your own organic food. The difference in taste is big as well.

Fruits and vegetables from my grandma have actual taste compared to those I buy from the market, who taste like cardboard. Chickens grown on land too, the meat has a darkish brown color, not white, that is the natural color, as for taste, it's like eating wild catch (deer, boar, rabbit).
You can check your blood levels any time and I bet you hundred bucks that you won't have any deficiencies. The taste has no significant correlation with the amount of amino acids food has. And like I said, most people don't research at all on what they are taking and what they need.

First of all, supplements are recommended by doctor when you consume not enough of a certain mineral from food, so before starting supplements, you are supposed to fix your diet. If you never eat fish and eat burger with fries every day obviously you are gonna be deficient in some things like DHR, Vitamin D and omega fats. You will also be dehydrated from all the salt.

Secondly, there are many forms of the amino acids and nutrients which have different bioavailability and absorbtion. For example Calcium(useless), Magnesium, Iron and other essential ones people buy at pharmacy store are non-chelated and possesses a poor absorption rate. For example Magnesium citrate or glycinate has up to 90% absorption and I definitely felt muscle relaxing effect.

Thirdly, people think of vitamins and minerals as something you take in huge doses for a day or two like filling up fuel and be fine. Every nutrient has optimal daily dose, which, depending of weight and gender, is the amount your body is supposed to absorb every day from FOOD to function at full capacity.

To say more, when the body is in a depleted state, the intestine upregulates absorption of the nutrient, so basically it takes what it needs and most people in first world countries has "good enough" diets to not be deficient. But, people who take medications for long period and not one of them - disrupt this process and that's where supplements are recommended. Not for a healthy young person who takes no more than one medication.

quote from a study:

Quote:
It is well known among nutrition researchers that most essential minerals are not well absorbed; for some minerals, absorption is less than 1%

Research demonstrates that the bioavailability and/or effectiveness of mineral containing foods is greater than that of isolated inorganic mineral salts or mineral chelates

Furthermore, minerals used in most supplements do not contain protein chaperones or other food factors needed for absorption into the cell

To end this, here's a comparison of minerals from food compared to isolated salts in supplements:
  • Calcium - Up to 8.79 times more absorbed into the blood and 7 times as effective in raising serum ionic calcium levels.
  • Chromium - Up to 25 times more bioavailable.
  • Copper - 85% more absorbed; also contains substances that reduce potential toxicity.
  • Iron - Safer, non-constipating, 77% more absorbed
  • Magnesium - Up to 2.20 times better absorbed and retained .
  • Manganese - Better absorbed and retained and not as likely to contribute to toxicity as mined forms
  • Molybdenum - Up 6.28 times better absorbed into the blood and 16.49 times better retained
  • Phosphorus - Less likely to cause diarrhea or electrolyte disorders.
  • Selenium - 17.6 time the antioxidant effect
  • Zinc - Up to 6.46 times better absorbed better form.

add me if you want to talk about medications for anxiety/depression, I will help
post #143 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 01:22 PM
Feral

My Mood: Amused
Suggest a new one says that there's no admnin... I can't make new threads there... I PMed the person mentioned in the post.

Vitamin C to help the adrenals and brain cope with stress, they need a lot. They help balance blood sugar (even better to avoid sugar, refined, grains and corn), so you don't end up with adrenalin highs or crashes, which can feel like anxiety and depression when it's just the unstable blood sugar.

B complex also needed for the adrenals, to heal the nerves and to be able to burn energy for activities.

Magnesium, the deficiency feels like extreme loneliness, depression and feeling suicidal. So it can help to be less desperate and calmer.

Don't take caffeine... oh god... that will just put anxiety on overdrive.

Feeling bad is a symptom of bad self care, not of being a bad person. Increase the vital nutrients that you need. Especially C, B and magnesium. Replace sugars, grains, corn, soy and chemicals by colorful vegetables, meats and fresh fats. They stabilize your blood sugar & mind. Get rid of toxic things & people. Take care, rest and you'll heal. Trust your body. Let your instincts guide you to safety. Tree Of Wolf ~

post #144 of 149 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 07:25 PM
SAS Member

Oddly enough, I found Chamomile works well for my social anxiety. There's a specific comfort called Chamomile Comfort that has made me just feel really "chilled" out instead of tense in situations where I'd normally freeze and say nothing. There's a nice review of it over at the Brain Hack Reviews blog if anyone is interested. Other than that, I have had minor success with 5-htp and passionflower. But Chamomile has worked best. I find it amazing how quick some people are to rule out natural supplements. The very worst meds I've ever taken for SA have been the ones that doctors prescribed, i.e SSRIs.
post #145 of 149 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 03:54 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy
Tried many, never had noticeable effects. Rhodeola Rosea sounded the best on paper for SA but didnt do anything for me. But I will often buy a few new ones at once and so it is hard to measure effectiveness. Especially as I currently take a handful of various non supplements to sleep with a Jack Daniels.

Camomile and honey tea is lovely and feels good as part of a pre sleep rtual. I bought a night time tea with lots of things in like valerian root, but doesnt taste great.

Free range eggs have loads more vitamin D in which is one of the best vitamins, so if you have a garden big enough, consider it. Getting out and feeding them will aslo help.

I am looking for something for sleep only, so I can stop taking the naughty stuff. Especially when don't leave the house all day. I currently refuse to believe there is a chemical imbalance in my brain, it is just over active at night.

Everyone is mentioning different things in this thread, I have just read it all. First one for sleep was chelated magnesium so I will give that a try but anymore suggestions are welcome. Will also mix camomile tea with the other one wuth valerian root in. I will not take anything that messes with the brain like melatonin or 5-Htp. L-theanine did nothing for me.

"I am good enough"
post #146 of 149 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 09:29 AM
SAS Member

So I recently got some caffeine/l-theanine (100mg/150mg) capsules from Liftmode, and I have to say that they were pretty awesome. I typically take them when I just don't have time to make a cup of coffee. Sometimes I stack it with Aniracetam (if I've eaten already). I expected them to be like a mild cup of coffee, but the buzz I get from them is actually cleaner and more focused than I typically get from coffee. Caffeine with L-Theanine is by far my favorite go to supplement/nootropic combo. I'll take one capsule right before a meeting and it's really great. After a couple months of trying them out I'd say I'm satisfied with the convenience of the capsules.
post #147 of 149 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 11:13 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy
Claytoney7 you should try Matcha green tea- it has L theanine and caffeine, plus green tea is healthy anyway.

"I am good enough"
post #148 of 149 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 10:59 AM
SAS Member

Coffee definitely is a trigger. It speeds up heart rate and when you come down it's like you ran into a brick wall you have no way around, then the anxiety hits. Any booster of energy that doesn't come from the natural vitamins or supplements you're made up of will have such side effects. Whether the side effects are positive or not.
post #149 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 12:49 PM
The Savage Introvert

My Mood: Fine
Just my personal opinion, but supplements really are just placebo. No hate on anyone who thinks otherwise, just my 2 cents! But I've looked into it and don't find it to be very convincing. I've also never been on any supplements, but I have known guys to be on testosterone supplements with little to no effects. Maybe increased libido and aggression.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page