New Weight Loss Support Thread - Page 37 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #721 of 756 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 09:18 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Crappy
I'm down another 2 pounds. This quarantine is definitely helping. No desire to snack, so I'm just concentrating on my meals. Not buying crap I don't need, this is great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 756 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 11:05 PM
SAS Member

I've lost 6.2 lbs since my last post 3 months ago. 174.6 lbs is my current weight. Not very happy with my progress, but whatever. It gets frustrating when I work so hard and make little to no progress. Anyway, started walking again recently and that's helped. I walk 3 miles everyday, more (4-5 miles) on my days off work.

I've stayed consistent with weight lifting but recently (about month ago) developed golfers elbow(?). Gonna try some exercises I saw on YouTube that are supposed to help. Also thinking about taking a break from weight lifting. Don't really want to, though. But maybe I should? I'll see
post #723 of 756 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 11:29 PM
Barbells and kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glue View Post
I've lost 6.2 lbs since my last post 3 months ago. 174.6 lbs is my current weight. Not very happy with my progress, but whatever. It gets frustrating when I work so hard and make little to no progress. Anyway, started walking again recently and that's helped. I walk 3 miles everyday, more (4-5 miles) on my days off work.

I've stayed consistent with weight lifting but recently (about month ago) developed golfers elbow(?). Gonna try some exercises I saw on YouTube that are supposed to help. Also thinking about taking a break from weight lifting. Don't really want to, though. But maybe I should? I'll see
It's usually something specific you're doing that'll cause the elbow pain. Even if you take off awhile it'll come back whenever you resume whatever was causing it. Low bar squat, curls, or pressing usually in my experience.

For me it's low bar squat that wrecks my elbows. Then after it's flared up benching makes it worse and I'll have to take a few days off doing either. Switching to high bar squat has fixed it completely. Not saying that's what it is for you, I have no idea. But I never really got any relief from exercises that were supposed to help it. Had to stop doing what was causing it. If you're doing any of those three exercises I mentioned those are good places to start looking at causes though. Generally with low bar it'll be your setup in hand placement and how you grip the bar, curls usually overuse or bringing your wrists in while you curl, and pressing also usually overuse. I'm sure there's many others as well, but those definitely come to mind.
Posted via Mobile Device

post #724 of 756 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 07:51 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH1983 View Post
It's usually something specific you're doing that'll cause the elbow pain. Even if you take off awhile it'll come back whenever you resume whatever was causing it. Low bar squat, curls, or pressing usually in my experience.

For me it's low bar squat that wrecks my elbows. Then after it's flared up benching makes it worse and I'll have to take a few days off doing either. Switching to high bar squat has fixed it completely. Not saying that's what it is for you, I have no idea. But I never really got any relief from exercises that were supposed to help it. Had to stop doing what was causing it. If you're doing any of those three exercises I mentioned those are good places to start looking at causes though. Generally with low bar it'll be your setup in hand placement and how you grip the bar, curls usually overuse or bringing your wrists in while you curl, and pressing also usually overuse. I'm sure there's many others as well, but those definitely come to mind.
Posted via Mobile Device
It's probably curls that's causing it. It's what I have the most trouble with. Going to switch to an EZ bar for a while and see if that helps. Probably have to work on my form as well.
post #725 of 756 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 05:03 AM
Death is my comforter.

Language: English, Japanese, Melanesian Pidgin-English.
My Mood: Cool
Hey gang, I'm at a point where I've reached my goal weight and so now I'm just focusing on maintaining. I'm focusing on gaining a little bit of muscle so as to not look scrawny and weak, I find creatine does a good job in the area of building and keeping muscle mass so things are looking good so far!

Good luck to all, I hope we can all get the body we so desire!
post #726 of 756 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 01:25 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFullyHere View Post
Hey gang, I'm at a point where I've reached my goal weight and so now I'm just focusing on maintaining. I'm focusing on gaining a little bit of muscle so as to not look scrawny and weak, I find creatine does a good job in the area of building and keeping muscle mass so things are looking good so far!

Good luck to all, I hope we can all get the body we so desire!
Congrats on getting to your goal weight!

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk
post #727 of 756 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 10:33 AM
MyViewsMatter

My Mood: Inspired
For those who feel hopeless here after trying everything to lose weight, well I would like to share something I heard (I'm not trying to lose weight but this is something pretty interesting).

Most people are not present enough in their bodies to realize that the type of food their eating is beneficial. What does it mean to be present in their bodies? We live in our heads all the time and mind control us that we forgotten how to feel. Things like meditation and body awareness helps to learn how to feel again the aliveness in our bodies.

Once a person is able to get back in touch with their bodies, they will see that the food their eating will drag them down, doesn't give them energy, or life. Then they will be inspired to eat healthy foods instead of eating that fast food/junk food for that dirty quick high. They will see that after eating those bad foods, they will feel good temporary, but doesn't add energy later on. But eating the healthy foods will give them that aliveness in their bodies. Because of the inspiration to eat healthy, there will be a freedom of choice to choose NOT to eat unhealthy foods.

Also what is consider "healthy beneficial" food is very subjective, because everybody's body is different lol but because the person is so in touch with their bodies, they will know exactly what "healthy foods" are really beneficial and what "healthy foods" are not beneficial.

Remember, your views and what you have to say matter to others AND to yourself
post #728 of 756 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 03:35 AM
SAS Member

16/8 Intermittent Fasting

For those struggling to lose weight and looking for a new method to try, I would 100% recommend 16/8 intermittent fasting. Basically, you skip breakfast and eat at lunchtime. You only eat between the hours of 1pm and 9pm and then fast for 16 hours (hence 16/8 intermittent fasting). I personally do this for 2 days then have 3 days off and keep going with this pattern. Ok, you will feel hungry and your gut will be crying out for food come lunchtime, but that feeling is just your body eating way at your fat stores which is a good thing! Combining this with a healthy diet when you do eat (cut out the sugary drinks and fast food), really does produce results. I allow myself a treat day once a week along with a healthy diet and daily exercise for a minimum of 45 minutes and tend to be losing 1-2lbs per week. However I am already in good shape, I'm just trying to lose a bit of belly flab and get down to 12-14% bodyfat. You could lose more weight than that per week, for sure.
post #729 of 756 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 11:16 AM
S F C 0 1

My Mood: Amused
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE. View Post
For those struggling to lose weight and looking for a new method to try, I would 100% recommend 16/8 intermittent fasting. Basically, you skip breakfast and eat at lunchtime. You only eat between the hours of 1pm and 9pm and then fast for 16 hours (hence 16/8 intermittent fasting). I personally do this for 2 days then have 3 days off and keep going with this pattern. Ok, you will feel hungry and your gut will be crying out for food come lunchtime, but that feeling is just your body eating way at your fat stores which is a good thing! Combining this with a healthy diet when you do eat (cut out the sugary drinks and fast food), really does produce results. I allow myself a treat day once a week along with a healthy diet and daily exercise for a minimum of 45 minutes and tend to be losing 1-2lbs per week. However I am already in good shape, I'm just trying to lose a bit of belly flab and get down to 12-14% bodyfat. You could lose more weight than that per week, for sure.

I do intermittent fasting and it is effective. The gut crying out for food does go after a few days, especially if you limit carbs and up protein intake.

I'm starting 19/5 tomorrow to see how it goes, I was doing 18/6 last week and it was not that bad but 19/5 maybe a bit much.

I try to do 20/30 minutes on bike machine, or some weights in the morning whilst still fasting. This is usually done to burn some extra fat, but I do it mainly because suppresses my appetite for a bit longer.

I got the audio book of the Fast 800 recently where you do 2 weeks @ 800 cals per day, and then start the 5/2 diet, so 5 days normal eating and 2 days ay 800 cals. I could do the 2 days a week at 800 cals easy enough but 2 weeks at it will be tough.

Tell 'em who the **** I am

SFC
post #730 of 756 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 12:24 PM
SAS Member

losing weight
post #731 of 756 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 09:53 AM
S F C 0 1

1 full week at 18/6 intermittant fasting with 1000 calories per day, loads of prt, strength training and HIT

SFC
post #732 of 756 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Stoicism / ACT / CFT

My current strategy is very slow, sustainable. I am recomping, and eating around 2500 cals on average. Weight loss is obviously very slow, I have lost maybe 6-8 lbs in 4 months. But I have gained a surprising amount of muscle, its a slow, fairly easy recomp, and I am planning to milk it for as long as I can.

Much better for my psychology this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'avjo View Post
1 full week at 18/6 intermittant fasting with 1000 calories per day, loads of prt, strength training and HIT
Damn.. Impressive. I can't go that low any more, especially if lifting. My problem with fasting (and what stops me trying longer fasts) is that I can't sleep when hungry (basically at all). Otherwise I find it a great way to manage the hunger.

I find, when I break the fast, the floodgates open hah.

I have tried just eating protein shakes for a day though, that seemed to work pretty well.

Compassion focused therapy audio, guided meditations:

https://balancedminds.com/audio/
post #733 of 756 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 01:46 PM
Barbells and kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplendidBob View Post
My current strategy is very slow, sustainable. I am recomping, and eating around 2500 cals on average. Weight loss is obviously very slow, I have lost maybe 6-8 lbs in 4 months. But I have gained a surprising amount of muscle, its a slow, fairly easy recomp, and I am planning to milk it for as long as I can.

Much better for my psychology this way.

Damn.. Impressive. I can't go that low any more, especially if lifting. My problem with fasting (and what stops me trying longer fasts) is that I can't sleep when hungry (basically at all). Otherwise I find it a great way to manage the hunger.

I have tried just eating protein shakes for a day though, that seemed to work pretty well.
Neck pain doing any better?
Posted via Mobile Device
post #734 of 756 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Stoicism / ACT / CFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH1983 View Post
Neck pain doing any better?
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh yeh, I forgot to mention, thanks for asking and remembering

Its almost completely healed now. Got better and better with training, then I started incorporating direct neck work (neck curls) and it seemed to fix it. Now I can pretty much do everything without pain. Such a relief, and i often forget how fortunate I am to have it gone.

It can flare up sometimes, when doing certain exercises (eg beno over lateral raises), I feel something, but i shift position and its fine.

How are you doing injury wise atm, anything flaring up or all good atm?

post #735 of 756 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Stoicism / ACT / CFT

One day I may post pics, if I can find the right lighting

post #736 of 756 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 03:35 PM
Barbells and kittens

Quote:
Oh yeh, I forgot to mention, thanks for asking and remembering

Its almost completely healed now. Got better and better with training, then I started incorporating direct neck work (neck curls) and it seemed to fix it. Now I can pretty much do everything without pain. Such a relief, and i often forget how fortunate I am to have it gone.

It can flare up sometimes, when doing certain exercises (eg beno over lateral raises), I feel something, but i shift position and its fine.

How are you doing injury wise atm, anything flaring up or all good atm?
That's awesome. It's great being able to train pain free after going so long dealing with it. I'm always super paranoid at first thinking I'm gonna get hurt again and any little pain freaks me out.

My little brother has one of those harness things you put on your head to do neck exercises. I've actually never tried it.

Well, last year I got over whatever was wrong with my shoulder/pec/delt area that was hurting my bench. Have made killer bench progress since. But tweaked my hip doing sumo deadlift last September, hasn't been the same since. Kept injuring it over and over making it worse and finally took some time completely off lower body.

I'm three weeks back to lower body and doing conventional deadlift, which doesn't seem to aggravate my hip. I've just lost a lot of strength plus I'm weaker conventional anyway, so kind of frustrating using such low weights. But my new goal is catch up my conventional up to my sumo and build my squat back up.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #737 of 756 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 04:33 PM
S F C 0 1

Quote:
One day I may post pics, if I can find the right lighting

Dont post the ones from behind the shops by the bins. I managed to turn my head round for one of them eh, so def not that one please.

SFC
post #738 of 756 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 04:48 PM
S F C 0 1

Quote:

You can eat later if hungry at bedtime, obviously tho you'll need to go through the next morning and maybe beyond before you can eat. I did read quite recently that eating later in the day may increase some of the health benefits of IF.

I dont do a particularly long session of weights, mainly 3 or 4 of the olympic lifts, 3 times a week, with a few sets of low reps and heavy load (heavy for me at least). I dont do any long cardio as that does me for the hunger but just 15/20 mins of HIT on a stationary bike 3 times a week, sometimes just a couple tabata's so only 10 mins.

When you break the fast, just have something small with 30g of prt or so, couple of boiled eggs for example but not a shake, and then if you can, do your weights soon after. Keep you busy, maybe suppress appetite for an hr or so after, then you wont have blown a lot of your daily cals early on in the day.

SFC
post #739 of 756 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 05:20 PM
Permanently Banned

i don't plan on posting consistently in this thread but i really should. i haven't felt like i could be considered sexy in ages ;<
post #740 of 756 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Stoicism / ACT / CFT

Back to the gym today.

Honestly, felt disappointed.. The gym has basically done nothing re corona, other than a single cleaning station. Not impressed.

Ill probably start looking around elsewhere soon. I did send a message to the head office, they need at least 3 cleaning stations, the slackers in my gym wont walk downstairs, get cleaning stuff, go back upstairs, then back down again. Bizarrely though, it seems that walking on treadmills makes my neck worse. I haven;t done that for a very long time, did today, and some neck discomfort back. Will stop doing it asap. Fun on the hack squat tho.. I feel doms in my teardrops, which is excellent as I am trying to hit there. Absolutely exhausted me tho.

Kinda good to be back there, kinda not. Maybe a fresh gym is whats needed now. Its kinda new beginnings time. And I am in noticeably better shape then when I was going, which is kinda funny.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page