Is anyone here chronically and severely constipated? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Is anyone here chronically and severely constipated?

Do you think the anxiety causes constipation or does the constipation cause anxiety?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 05:36 PM
Failure's Art

Do you eat enough veggies? I think anxiety is more likely to cause upset stomach, bloating, gas and diarrhea than constipation.

Everybody knows you only live a day but it's brilliant anyway
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 08:14 PM
Royally F***ed

My Mood: Brooding
Yes. If I don't consume massive quantities of Metamucil I stop having BMs. I drink a ton of water and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, so it's not my diet. I've been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. Usually, that means diarrhea, not constipation, but I'm one of those rare people who gets the constipated variety. The type of UC I have may be anxiety-related but idk. I was having 1 BM every 5-9 days on average before I started taking fiber, but I'm up to almost once a day now. But it can get expensive. I spend about $60 a month on fiber.

Is it just me or is it getting crazier out there.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 09:56 AM
SAS Member

i eat soft figs for constipation.....and prunes are good too....also cereals have plenty of fibre.......muesli, all bran cereal
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 10:24 AM
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
Chronically, yeah, though I wouldn't call it severe and I kind of prefer it this way. In my case it's because of several meds I take. If I didn't, due to having my gallbladder removed and 2ft of colon repurposed, I'd have chronic painful diarrhea shortly after every time I eat, instead. Yes, TMI.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
Yes. If I don't consume massive quantities of Metamucil I stop having BMs. I drink a ton of water and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, so it's not my diet. I've been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. Usually, that means diarrhea, not constipation, but I'm one of those rare people who gets the constipated variety. The type of UC I have may be anxiety-related but idk. I was having 1 BM every 5-9 days on average before I started taking fiber, but I'm up to almost once a day now. But it can get expensive. I spend about $60 a month on fiber.
Awww riiight! good to know Iím not the only one these orange flavored Metamucil chains. To tell you the truth, I had to start buying the store brand Metamucil thatís LOADED with sugar. A big store brand bottle has the same amount of fiber as the little metamucil bottles, however, the store brand is still about 50% cheaper. Thankfully I donít have diabetes yet even though it runs in my family. Oh well, it works.

Itís just such a chore to drink. It makes me so uncomfortable, so full and so bloated. I tend to skip it a lot which means no poop for me
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 04:12 PM
alien monk

My Mood: Devilish
I manage to get gassy and bloated all on my own. my friend said I looked pregnant some weeks ago. sometimes I couldn't go 4 hours without needing to take a ****, and since my work often has no breaks it can be terribly uncomfortable.

I'd rather just not poop.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 05:55 PM
ff

My Mood: Psychedelic
Certainly not a healthy answer for obvious reasons, but caffeine and nicotine in the morning never fails to loosen my bowels.

🕯
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 11:40 PM
Royally F***ed

My Mood: Brooding
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoughtsLeaveMeAlone View Post
Awww riiight! good to know Iím not the only one these orange flavored Metamucil chains. To tell you the truth, I had to start buying the store brand Metamucil thatís LOADED with sugar. A big store brand bottle has the same amount of fiber as the little metamucil bottles, however, the store brand is still about 50% cheaper. Thankfully I donít have diabetes yet even though it runs in my family. Oh well, it works.

Itís just such a chore to drink. It makes me so uncomfortable, so full and so bloated. I tend to skip it a lot which means no poop for me
I'm used to it now. Drinking it is better than the alternative. But yeah, I have to buy the cheap stuff, too. Though here the 'cheap' stuff isn't actually that much cheaper. Maybe a couple dollars.

Is it just me or is it getting crazier out there.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 04:02 AM
Sas user

Corn is like an intestine cleanser. it doesnt get digested well so it helps a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

believe in urself
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 03:54 PM
SAS member

Language: English, and hopefully fluent Japanese one day...
My Mood: Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoughtsLeaveMeAlone View Post
Do you think the anxiety causes constipation or does the constipation cause anxiety?
Well for me... I wouldn't say it was severe but it turned out that deli lunch meat was the problem. I had been eating it for years and only realized just recently that it might be an issue

Too much iron is not the best either.

Try whole grains and fiber

John 3:16 (NIV) For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 09:00 PM
SASsy

Language: King's English
My Mood: Crappy
Anxiety can cause either constipation or diarrhea. But a lot depends on your diet.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 11:39 PM
aldehyde dehydrogenaser

Language: Luuvvvv
I think one can contribute to the other. Diet is a huge thing too. Maybe try progressive muscle relaxation if you feel so tense as to get stomach issues?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 05:02 PM
SAS Member

No but I definitely have IBS.

I think it is related to my anxiety being in public. Even though I don't think I'm anxious, I am.

I'm always gassy in public. I've noticed I'm not as gassy when I'm at home. I guess it's because I can fart whenever I need to, instead of holding it in in public.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page