How To Talk To A Psychologist? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Language: Wookiee
I need some advice (not on my mental health, but on how to talk about it without making it sound like something it's not) and someone suggested I post this. I doubt anybody even understands why I'm asking for this advice, but I'll try to explain without my brain glitching out...

I have an undiagnosed neurological condition causing me to feel like I've experienced things before when I know logically I haven't. Now imagine telling that to a psychologist who is busy and doesn't give two ****s about you? You think I'll be able to convince them that it's neurological just because I can talk neurology? To them it sounds like random chatter.

I need to be able to explain why it could be really dangerous for my brain right now to order me on any medications, especially antidepressants or antipsychotics. But when they hear "I feel like this has already happened." I'm sure they think "He's psychotic and needs my help" instead of listening to the part where I explain that I know rationally already that it's a missfire of chemicals.

I'm really scared they are going to give me another stroke and turn me into a vegetable. Is it possible to get a court order that prevents them from giving you medication based on religious reasons?

I wouldn't mind if an actual neurologist gives me medicine, but there is no way I want to take drugs from a psychiatrist with very minimal understanding of neurology who is mostly going by a psychologist's recommendation anyway.

Final thing is that I in no way wanted to get psychological help. That is not my worldview/religion. I am being forced to undergo it because I test fired a weapon that I legally owned on a dirt road instead of at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Also, my landlords (used to be my parents but I've disowned them and my entire family) who I was renting this apartment from, reported to the court that I was crazy and hearing voices because I faked it too well just to freak them out and get them to quit talking to me all the time. It worked, but I might have ****ed myself over in the meantime.

I know it's nothing to joke about, but I wasn't joking. I was desperate. They kept coming up behind me and startling me and I was just getting over my PTSD. Somewhere in the mix I also kept getting hit by their industrial cleaning chemical fumes and laundry detergents I was allergic to, and everything went South and I must have yelled at them too much while I was in extreme pain.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Also, I wouldn't be able to get a medical exemption because my neurologist is stupid and she said it's probably just memory issues from weed.

Then why did it start before I smoked weed and still happens after I quit? Yet magically got almost ten times better during my medical marijuana therapy?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

I swear to god, if I make it through all this and get that job at Google in San Diego, hell hath no fury like the lawsuits and bad publicity I'm raining down on this state and my ex relatives for as long as I'm alive and in any position of power.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Never **** with a Social/Network Engineer unless you finish the job.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 02:05 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy396 View Post
Also, I wouldn't be able to get a medical exemption because my neurologist is stupid and she said it's probably just memory issues from weed.

Then why did it start before I smoked weed and still happens after I quit? Yet magically got almost ten times better during my medical marijuana therapy?
I'm maybe a bit confused - but it sounds like you should try and find a new and better neurologist?

Also, here a psychologist can't prescribe medication - only psychiatrists can. I'm about to start seeing an old psychologist again too. I don't necessarily agree with everything he says but the support he gives me is incredible - and we have a great rapport. In my opinion that's extremely important.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy396 View Post

I'm maybe a bit confused - but it sounds like you should try and find a new and better neurologist?

Also, here a psychologist can't prescribe medication - only psychiatrists can. I'm about to start seeing an old psychologist again too. I don't necessarily agree with everything he says but the support he gives me is incredible - and we have a great rapport. In my opinion that's extremely important.
Thanks for the response. I can explain more. I wouldn't be able to see a new neurologist until far after I have to get a mental health evaluation, and it would be pointless anyway when you're on medicaid and have "drug abuser" on your medical records.

As for that type of support, I don't want it or need it. I've been feircely independent and able to survive without it since childhood. Maybe cause I had to with such cold parents and friends?

Anyway, it's just fake support. I'd rather pay a stripper for that (if they're being paid anyway), at least it's something pretty to look at while she pretends to care about me.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 02:26 PM
SAS Member

I think what you are experiencing is the ''deja vu'' effect. I had this problem for some months, where every couple of minutes I felt a strange sense of familiarity as if I had just lived that moment. Maybe I was on vacation in a place I had never been before and it felt like I had already visited that place, almost as if I had lived what I was experiencing in an earlier life.

It was overall very confusing and made it hard to focus on things, as this feeling was brought constantly. It may be normal to have a deja vu once in a while, maybe once a year, but it usually lasts a mere second and you are instantly back to normal. I had it very frequently and intensely, but after some months the episodes slowly stoped coming and I could live normally again.

I've read this is related to the memory area of the brain, that instead of the brain processing the experience and then storing it as a memory, it does the opposite, it stores it first and then processes it. So when it's processing it, the brain finds that the memory of the experience is already there so it sends a signal to inform the experience is a familiar one, in fact so familiar it is the exact same one.

There are scientific studies about deja vus and you can easily find them on the internet to know more about this. I remember reading in one of the studies that some epileptic people experienced a deja vu like sensation right before their seizures.

I have to admit I had a couple of months of cannabis use before this incident and the symptoms went away when I quit smoking. I had experienced mild and short deja vus as a kid, when I didn't smoke yet, but not of such a severe magnitude. There are people that never experience this in their entire lifes, but it is not rare at all to have mild sporadic episodes once in a while. So the episodes from my childhood were normal, but the long ones I had as an adult after smoking weed were not, so weed might be the cause. This has also happened to a friend of mine that used to smoke a lot.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 02:42 PM
SAS Member

Okay, I've just seen your other post about this and how people talk about deja vus. I'll reply to that post tomorrow because I am also concerned about this and want to know more.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 10:33 PM
SAS Member

You've to be patient while visiting doctor. And avoid telling him long stories about yourself, You should not miss any information that seems important and necessary. hopefully he will help you much.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page