Do You Sleep Well? - Social Anxiety Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 479

Do You Sleep Well?


I have insomnia. And I worry about going to sleep because I know I won't be able to.

I have vivid dreams and I toss and turn every night.

During winter I fall into a bad sleeping habit in which I would be watching tv in bed, fall asleep, wake up about 2 hours later to brush my teeth then try to go back to sleep. But I get decent sleep that way rather than getting ready for bed.

I'm trying to get into a sleeping routine by brushing my teeth first, read for about half an hour and try to fall asleep. It's only been about a week so it will take my system a while to get used to the routine.

Are you just out like a light when you sleep?
melancholyscorpio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 09:55 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food
 
WillYouStopDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Age: 46
Posts: 28,317
My Mood: Relaxed
Never have really. When I was young I had chronic insomnia because my brain just wouldn't stop. Laying down to go to bed and waiting for sleep was actually kind of painful. Well, I don't know if painful is exactly the right word. It was just laying there with my eyes closed trying to make sleep happen. Which it wouldn't. If I had to be at work at 5 AM, I would sometimes lay down at 10 PM and close my eyes and would just lay there with my mind just constantly thinking. Not racing thoughts or anything like that. Just normal thinking.

Sometimes I'd stay up for 24 hours and I would feel tired until I laid down and then was wide awake. It wasn't terrible when I was really young but got worse as I went through my teens and 20s. By the time I got a job it was so bad that sometimes I'd go to work, go home and stay up all night and go to work again because even though I laid down and tried to sleep it wouldn't happen.

Sometimes I'd lay there all night wide awake and finally fall asleep 20 minutes before the clock went off. And damn did it suck to force myself to get up.

Now I fall asleep rapidly but do not sleep well. Sometimes wake up with palpitations and just feeling horrible. I generally do not sleep very deep. I toss and turn and my covers bunch up and make me even more uncomfortable. My feet get too uncovered and my blanket is too high on my legs and eventually makes me have to get up and straighten everything out. Then the cycle repeats. Very irritating. I also tend to shuffle my pillows around because don't like how the pillow feels against my skin when it gets too warm. I like the cool feeling of a freshly turned pillow so I keep flipping them. Which wakes me up slightly.

I also tend to twist my body into odd positions that kinda hurt when I wake up and find I've been laying in an uncomfortable position for so long that my body aches. I tend to kinda wanna sleep partially on my stomach but also kinda on my side but I like to have one leg in an odd position to support that. And that hurts after awhile.

/WYSD
WillYouStopDave is offline  
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 01:38 AM
Greasy prospector
 
blue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The salty spitoon
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,839
My Mood: Lurking
I need to really tire myself out either through long work hours or exercise to go to sleep fast & sleep well, I'm naturally a night owl so if unemployed I gradually fall into a routine of going to bed later & later & end up sleeping half the day.






And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
blue2 is offline  
 
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 08:48 AM
Tired
 
SplendidBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: UK
Language: English
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,614
No. In no way is my sleep good.

Enough about me, lets talk about you, what do you think about me?
SplendidBob is offline  
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 10:20 AM
Samityville Horror
 
SamanthaStrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Purgatory
Gender: Female
Posts: 17,816
No.

Now I'm Nothing
SamanthaStrange is offline  
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 11:54 AM
bipolar
 
harrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 13,712
I usually sleep okay, although someone told me I was yelling in my sleep not that long ago. My wife never used to comment on that although she really goes out like a light.

I pretty much always wake up long before it's light though - sometimes in a panic like this morning. Then I spend the next couple of hours having cups of tea and trying to calm down, then I go back to bed for a while.
harrison is offline  
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 01:20 PM
SAS Member
 
Famous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,306
Famous is offline  
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 10:23 PM
Born Of Blotmona­
 
Canadian Brotha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Over Yonder
Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
Gender: Male
Age: 32
Posts: 17,784
My Mood: Cynical
Canadian Brotha is offline  
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 12:22 AM
Merry Effing Christmas
 
truant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cislandia
Gender: Transgender
Age: 47
Posts: 8,967
My Mood: Brooding
No, I stopped sleeping well about 30 years ago. My dad's the same way. I average about 5 hours a night. Sometimes I only get 2-3 hours, but other times I might get 6-7. I get a full 8 hours maybe a couple times a year. I don't remember the last time I slept longer than that. If I have to be up for any reason the next day, I sometimes won't get any sleep at all. Which was pretty brutal when I was working 10-hour shifts.

I usually wake up multiple times, usually because I've had a bad dream. I have nightmares most nights, sometimes more than one a night, and wake up at just about any sound. The rain kept me awake last night. Some animal was dragging a blue box around. Headlights were flashing through my windows.

My mind is constantly racing and nothing really calms it down. I meditate but it doesn't really help much. It doesn't matter how tired I am. I can be dead on my feet, barely able to hold my head up, and I still won't get to sleep for like 2 hours. It's almost impossible to get comfortable. I often give up and just get back up and do something else.

I probably spend as much time in bed as most people, I just spend less of it sleeping.

For forty-seven years I've put up with it now. I must stop Christmas from coming ... but how?
truant is offline  
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 12:36 AM
I am average!
 
Ominous Indeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Age: 25
Posts: 3,792
Usually I sleep okey but not tonight

Tonight I got 30 min sleep, If I even got that...
Ominous Indeed is offline  
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 12:37 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food
 
WillYouStopDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Age: 46
Posts: 28,317
My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
No, I stopped sleeping well about 30 years ago. My dad's the same way. I average about 5 hours a night. Sometimes I only get 2-3 hours, but other times I might get 6-7. I get a full 8 hours maybe a couple times a year. I don't remember the last time I slept longer than that. If I have to be up for any reason the next day, I sometimes won't get any sleep at all. Which was pretty brutal when I was working 10-hour shifts.

I usually wake up multiple times, usually because I've had a bad dream. I have nightmares most nights, sometimes more than one a night, and wake up at just about any sound. The rain kept me awake last night. Some animal was dragging a blue box around. Headlights were flashing through my windows.

My mind is constantly racing and nothing really calms it down. I meditate but it doesn't really help much. It doesn't matter how tired I am. I can be dead on my feet, barely able to hold my head up, and I still won't get to sleep for like 2 hours. It's almost impossible to get comfortable. I often give up and just get back up and do something else.

I probably spend as much time in bed as most people, I just spend less of it sleeping.
When I had insomnia like that sometimes I would just give up and get back up and watch TV, since I knew it wasn't gonna happen anyway. But I also knew I was gonna regret it working fast food all day long after no sleep.

/WYSD
WillYouStopDave is offline  
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 01:30 AM
Merry Effing Christmas
 
truant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cislandia
Gender: Transgender
Age: 47
Posts: 8,967
My Mood: Brooding
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
When I had insomnia like that sometimes I would just give up and get back up and watch TV, since I knew it wasn't gonna happen anyway. But I also knew I was gonna regret it working fast food all day long after no sleep.
I do often give up. But I often have bad headaches, so often I can't even watch TV or read or anything. I just lie in bed with the covers over my head. That's how I spent the night before last.

For forty-seven years I've put up with it now. I must stop Christmas from coming ... but how?
truant is offline  
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 01:43 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food
 
WillYouStopDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Age: 46
Posts: 28,317
My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
I do often give up. But I often have bad headaches, so often I can't even watch TV or read or anything. I just lie in bed with the covers over my head. That's how I spent the night before last.
I usually don't get the headaches until after I've slept. So when I had insomnia I would usually just stay up until I started feeling tired and lay down and hope I'd fall asleep that time. Usually this would only happen after the 24 hour mark (sometimes very over it). So when I did "fall asleep" it tended to be more of complete exhaustion than natural falling asleep as is supposed to happen.

So then, my body was so run down I'd sleep for at least 12 hours (often more like 16) and I'd wake up with a mild headache that gradually intensified until it was so bad I couldn't think about anything else but the pain. Sometimes that would last many hours or all day but when it finally did ease up, I would feel like I should sleep because spending an entire day with a splitting headache is no fun and just makes you want to rest.

And then the cycle would repeat. I usually get bad headaches if I sleep too long or too deep (or both). Seems like 6-8 hours is the most I wanna sleep before I get a headache. But they also sometimes develop spontaneously when I've been awake for awhile too.

/WYSD
WillYouStopDave is offline  
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 03:27 AM
In Liquidation
 
Blue Dino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6,102
I don't sleep well when I need to. But I sleep extraordinarily well the moment I need to wake up.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.

If I fail to adapt to the fault of others, it is my fault.
Blue Dino is offline  
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 03:38 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier
 
twitchy666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Berkshire
Language: ASCII, T-SQL
Gender: Male
Age: 43
Posts: 8,124
My Mood: Angry
Question

Do???


Do not?

what 'do' mean???

is = ??

my name ain't "YOU"

why ask question? who bee doodey??

a thread with 4 single-syllable words with NULL meaning. slug level

it.it, it, uh. oh. do. ahh

only ~ 4800,000,000,000 alternatives:

Sleep Well?

Don't sleep Well?

where's the Well?

Sleep?
twitchy666 is offline  
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 10:45 AM
Merry Effing Christmas
 
truant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cislandia
Gender: Transgender
Age: 47
Posts: 8,967
My Mood: Brooding
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
I usually don't get the headaches until after I've slept. So when I had insomnia I would usually just stay up until I started feeling tired and lay down and hope I'd fall asleep that time. Usually this would only happen after the 24 hour mark (sometimes very over it). So when I did "fall asleep" it tended to be more of complete exhaustion than natural falling asleep as is supposed to happen.

So then, my body was so run down I'd sleep for at least 12 hours (often more like 16) and I'd wake up with a mild headache that gradually intensified until it was so bad I couldn't think about anything else but the pain. Sometimes that would last many hours or all day but when it finally did ease up, I would feel like I should sleep because spending an entire day with a splitting headache is no fun and just makes you want to rest.

And then the cycle would repeat. I usually get bad headaches if I sleep too long or too deep (or both). Seems like 6-8 hours is the most I wanna sleep before I get a headache. But they also sometimes develop spontaneously when I've been awake for awhile too.
I don't tend to be up for 24 hours, but I'm always exhausted. 5 hours of consecutive sleep is a really good, long sleep for me. I usually sleep in chunks of about 90 minutes to 3 hours. Sleeping doesn't give me headaches, but my migraines sometimes start when I'm asleep. They make my dreams really vivid and strange.

For forty-seven years I've put up with it now. I must stop Christmas from coming ... but how?
truant is offline  
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 01:01 PM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier
 
twitchy666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Berkshire
Language: ASCII, T-SQL
Gender: Male
Age: 43
Posts: 8,124
My Mood: Angry
Thumbs down

everything gets obsolete instantly


https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47610938

nothing lasts

friends

opportunities

jobs

--->>please, please add to the list!<<<<<---

what can be trusted? anything which ain't a human
twitchy666 is offline  
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 01:26 PM
prince charming
 
Tuan Jie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: The Netherlands
Gender: Male
Age: 39
Posts: 606
Anybody out there with a sleep disorder involving muscle tension/spasms that render you exhausted/sick the following day? Not PLMD exactly. Pretty sure it's trauma related. Stuff's been going on since '96 and it's getting worse. Some periods I'm KO (not sleepy per se) several days in a row and sometimes the nights are much better. Can't recall having woken rested ever though. Never met anybody with this specific condition and my psychiatrist is also in the dark. I'm up for my second sleep study in December.

((( connect or perish )))
Tuan Jie is offline  
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 03:05 PM
(*__*)
 
Mlt18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: U.S
Language: N/A
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,085
My sleep is bad most of the time. Once in a while I'll get what seems to be a decent nights sleep. I have problems falling asleep and then wake up at least twice during the night to look at the clock.

That's where the pain comes in
Like a second skeleton
Trying to fit beneath the skin
I can't fit the feelings in

-Fiona Apple
Mlt18 is offline  
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 04:36 PM
Moron
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Age: 49
Posts: 4,530
Haven't slept for five days now.
Yer Blues is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome