Brain zaps/brain electricity (during sleep or not) - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Worried

Brain zaps/brain electricity (during sleep or not)

I want to find other people who have them and to hear about their experience. It can be similar to mine or very diiferent to mine. I'd love to hear anyone who has or used to have it or knows something about them.

These brain zaps or ''brain shakes/shivers'', ''electricity in brain'', ''mini-epilepsy'' etc whatever you call it is not a well-researched thing and nobody knows why they happen exactly. (Another proof against those claims that we're so medically progressed and that we've achieved most things etc).

I've been having it for years. I think it started when I was 13-15 years old and I still have it from time to time.

In my case it happens only during sleep (one of the first phases of sleep). I feel electrical activity in my brain from mild to huge one, but it's always unbareable and scary. I usually see some dream when it happens, but I can feel my body and I can feel like I'm lying down. Sometimes I'm lying in my dreams and sometimes I'm walking and it feels super realistic. Sometimes I can see my room in dreams and other times it's me somewhere else, but these dreams are still different compared to ones that I see when I don't have brain zaps. I've never had a dream about walking and doing mundane things or lying in my room though.

Anyway, at some point in these dreams I feel this electrical activity. I can predict it happening some milliseconds/a second before. I can manage to wake up and it's not continuing when I'm awake, but I still have afterfeeling in my brain. I don't know what to compare this afterfeeling to so far. When I'll figure out how to describe it I'll write it down. If I don't manage to wake up because these ''brain zaps'' drag me down to sleep or because my tiredness is way stronger than my wish to wake up and escape this, I see the next dream with 'brain zaps' and the next one afterwards etc till I wake up.

1) It used to be just brain zaps.
2) Then during some time (when I was around 18 ) it was companied by jaw clenching and convulsions of jaw. I would have those thing with jaw for about hald of a minute after I'd wake up. I wouldn't be able to move it down (to open my mouth more) or I would be able but only to certain extent.
3) I don't have this stuff with my jaw anymore. Now I can only feel vibration (similar to that of a cellphone, but as if I were a cellphone instead) in my teeth and my head and maybe my whole body. They vibrate along with my brain when this thing is happening.
4) Nowadays it's usually companied with this horrible and extremely loud buzzin g noise/tinnitus that appears shortly after the beginning of a 'brain zap' attack. It's a new thing that never happened to me before. But I also have a tinnitus most of the time when I'm awake. Although the sounds are quiet and different. I think my tinnitus is like that of most people who also experience it, so there's nothing unusual about it.

I have always thought of it as a short, mild epilepsy attack. It haven't drastically progressed over the years or anything like that. I had an MRI and an EEG tests 3 years ago. They found no brain damage on MRI and there was something mild and complicated on EEG, plus I have a small photosensitivity (reaction to flashing lights) which I myself knew before. But no doctor recommended to do anything in particular about it. I visited 2 neurologists and I explained them my 'brain zaps' in details and they didn't say anything about them, even the one that was considered the best one in the town.

I've been wondering what that was for years and I couldn't find anything on the internet. I only recently found out it has a name thanks to my therapist. And I was able to find a tiny bit more about it on the internet.

I know it's mostly known as an after effect of stopping to take some anti-depressants, but I don't take any psychiatric meds and I never did. Plus those people have it when they're awake, but I only have it during sleep.

I only have a chronic autoimmunal thyroid illness and a thyrotoxicosis due to being off meds for a long time, not treating my thyroid and then having a huge stressful experience and a breakdown. I started to have many neurological symtoms 3,5 years ago. It started midly but it went rampant when I had that stressful experience. I freaked out back then and after going through numerous tests and doctors I found out it was due to thyroid issue that progressed into almost clinical thyrotoxicosis. My brain zaps, however, started to appear very long ago, almost a decade before these symptoms started to happen.

On the internet they also say it can be due to anxiety and stress. I have those every day, but I don't have brain zaps every day. There used to be time when it would happen almost every day or twice-thrice a week during a few weeks and then stop and then appear again. Sometimes it can be two days in a row, sometimes per one day. It can disappear for a week, few weeks, a month, a few months, even 6-9 months and then it comes back. It's not tied to anything at all. I used to think it was tied to my exposure to electromagnetic fields (compluters, electronic devises). I used to have this phobia or feeling of being sensitive to electromagnetic fileds (like Chuck from ''Better call Saul''). But seems like it's doesn't depend on it either.

This thing is very real and physical and I can't control it with a thought or something else It's not just me ''being anxious''.

Sorry for my English.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:09 AM
Tired

Language: English
It sounds like its fairly regular and scary.. I have had the sensation of being electrocuted in my mind when asleep, maybe 5x in my life, so it's very rare for me, but its like being hit by lightening or something while sleeping, not pleasant. Is this what you experience?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplendidBob View Post
It sounds like its fairly regular and scary.. I have had the sensation of being electrocuted in my mind when asleep, maybe 5x in my life, so it's very rare for me, but its like being hit by lightening or something while sleeping, not pleasant. Is this what you experience?
Hmm.. Sounds a little bit like it. Can you describe it more?

It feels to me like some small episepsy attack (although I don't know what epilepsy really feels like). I feel some electrical activity in my brain. It really feels like it was described in one of those internet articles, i.e. neurons getting overly excited, thousands of small dots across my brain being active or ''moving''. And I feel some sort of pressure, like my brain is being ''held'' at the moment when it's happening.

It is more regular than it is in your case, but it's not super frequent. There can be long periods of time when I don't have it at all. For example, half of a year. Then it would happen one or two times and then there wouldn't be anything like that for 5 months, for example.

Sorry for my English.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Just a small update: while I was looking for more information about 'brain zaps' I stumbled upon ''Psychology today'' article about them and the preview on google was ''Brain zaps can be an unbearable side-effect of discontinuing an antidepressant. Although these brain shocks are often described as harmless, they may in fact ...''. Well, this is intriguing... I clicked on the article and didn't find this bit in the article or even in the comment section. Went to Wayback Machine and got ''This URL has been excluded from the Wayback Machine''. Amazing.

This comment is quite showcasing though:
Quote:
Have you found any further information on the topic of brain zaps? I'm very surprised that there is no research into these zaps. I would assume since they appear to be caused from the withdrawals of SSRI's there is no money for the research.
Now I have a personal reason to be anrgy at the psychopharm industry and I personally didn't even have to take their meds for that.

I'm seriously wondering to what extent they're ''not dangerous''. Cause they can't happen for no reason and they seem to be rare.

Sorry for my English.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:18 PM
Spectacular Member

I've had brain zaps from SSRIs before, I think Paxil specifically, and I also get the occasional shudder where its like this electric wave goes through my whole body, not necessarily my brain though. I don't know what the 2nd one is from but it doesn't really bother me cause it doesn't happen that often and I got other problems to worry about.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My autoimmune thyroid disease is also called ''Hashimoto's disease''.

Just read this:
''If left untreated, Hashimoto’s disease can cause:

Infertility (Yaaaaay)
Miscarriage (Whatevs)
Birth defects in newborns (I'm not going to birth any babies to subject them to childhood traumas either way)
Elevated cholesterol
Heart failure (I already have lots of heart problems. Probably gonna die from that at some point)
Seizures - There we go. That could be the cause for my brain zaps.
Coma
Death (Well ok. I'm ready to die at any point).''

Recently read about a woman who just peacefully died from Hashimoto's disease and the doctors haven't found anything, not even problems in the way her heart was working. They just found her brain didn't have enough of oxygen in it for some reason and that was it. This is how the glorious medical science of the first world countries helps people. And that woman simply had temporary financial problems where she couldn't afford the medications for her current thyroid problem.

Life is such a wonderful thing I truly love it. No place is better to live in than this world.

Pretty sure Hashimoto's disease is not ''genetic'' etiher, but a consequence of a very early childhood trauma. It's definitely not the main cause for anxiety and depression, but that's just the way your body reacts to this childhood trauma and both stress you have due to it and thyroid disease reinforce each other.

Sorry for my English.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:18 AM
BBW BBC taking MILF

Language: Mind yours
My Mood: Lonely
I don't know if it's the same thing (so I can delete this comment if it's not) but when I withdraw from antidepressants I get a strong feeling of like electric through my brain and I think they're called brain zaps too.

Boi stahp
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stacks View Post
I don't know if it's the same thing (so I can delete this comment if it's not) but when I withdraw from antidepressants I get a strong feeling of like electric through my brain and I think they're called brain zaps too.
Then it's probably the same thing

Sorry for my English.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:54 AM
BBW BBC taking MILF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryForMyEnglish View Post
Quote:
Then it's probably the same thing <a href="http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="" >:-)</a>
ahh I'm sorry you've had/get that too then.

Boi stahp
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Thanks! Sorry you have them too.
Seems like people who have it due to anti-depressants have them when they're awake while people who have it for other reasons have them only in sleep or while falling asleep in most cases.

Sorry for my English.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:23 PM
BBW BBC taking MILF

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks! Sorry you have them too.
Seems like people who have it due to anti-depressants have them when they're awake while people who have it for other reasons have them only in sleep or while falling asleep in most cases.
Interesting. I just did some googling lol and people also get them when withdrawing from sleeping pills too and when taking MDMA

Boi stahp
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Was just looking for threads about Hashimoto's on this forum and found a post where a user was quoting this article about Hashimoto's https://web.archive.org/web/20170410...d-disease.html

Here's the quote from it:
Quote:
Last, but certainly not least, because the human brain is loaded with thyroid hormone receptors, when a person is hypothyroid, brain chemistry and function are seriously compromised. Because brain neurotransmitters such as GABA, serotonin, dopamine and acetylcholine are compromised, patients suffering from hypothyroid conditions experience poor memory, diminished ability to learn,
increased states of depression, anger, feelings of hopelessness, inability to handle stress and loss of enthusiasm for life, not to mention brain degeneration and Alzheimer's! Also, hypothyroidism can increase your chances of Parkinson's Disease due to dopamine deficiency.
According to the articles about brain zaps I've read, they're caused by the lack of either dopamine or this misterious GABA chemical that are caused by anti-depressants withdrawals. So if it's true that people have low levels of these chemicals due to Hashimoto's disease then that's what most likely causes brain zaps.

Sorry for my English.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:47 PM
formerly Shawn81

I used to get "zaps" in the back of my head that felt like someone hit me in the back of the head with a brick with no warning. I would stumble forward. Never found a cause.

I now get similar zaps on the top or top/front of my head, especially without warning. I lunge forward in my seat and am very dizzy and panicky for a few seconds, and my constant dizziness stays worse until I get out and walk around for a while. My neurologist thought it was Myoclonus related to my insomnia, but medication didn't help, and until something gives with my insomnia, I'll never know.

Myoclonus is, in some case, a jolt or jerk in your head, just as you are about to fall asleep (or your brain thinks you're going to sleep when you shouldn't - like while driving - and does it to keep you from falling asleep, so the neurologist says).

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:34 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
I want to find other people who have them and to hear about their experience. It can be similar to mine or very diiferent to mine. I'd love to hear anyone who has or used to have it or knows something about them.

These brain zaps or ''brain shakes/shivers'', ''electricity in brain'', ''mini-epilepsy'' etc whatever you call it is not a well-researched thing and nobody knows why they happen exactly. (Another proof against those claims that we're so medically progressed and that we've achieved most things etc).

I've been having it for years. I think it started when I was 13-15 years old and I still have it from time to time.

In my case it happens only during sleep (one of the first phases of sleep). I feel electrical activity in my brain from mild to huge one, but it's always unbareable and scary. I usually see some dream when it happens, but I can feel my body and I can feel like I'm lying down. Sometimes I'm lying in my dreams and sometimes I'm walking and it feels super realistic. Sometimes I can see my room in dreams and other times it's me somewhere else, but these dreams are still different compared to ones that I see when I don't have brain zaps. I've never had a dream about walking and doing mundane things or lying in my room though.

Anyway, at some point in these dreams I feel this electrical activity. I can predict it happening some milliseconds/a second before. I can manage to wake up and it's not continuing when I'm awake, but I still have afterfeeling in my brain. I don't know what to compare this afterfeeling to so far. When I'll figure out how to describe it I'll write it down. If I don't manage to wake up because these ''brain zaps'' drag me down to sleep or because my tiredness is way stronger than my wish to wake up and escape this, I see the next dream with 'brain zaps' and the next one afterwards etc till I wake up.

1) It used to be just brain zaps.
2) Then during some time (when I was around 18 ) it was companied by jaw clenching and convulsions of jaw. I would have those thing with jaw for about hald of a minute after I'd wake up. I wouldn't be able to move it down (to open my mouth more) or I would be able but only to certain extent.
3) I don't have this stuff with my jaw anymore. Now I can only feel vibration (similar to that of a cellphone, but as if I were a cellphone instead) in my teeth and my head and maybe my whole body. They vibrate along with my brain when this thing is happening.
4) Nowadays it's usually companied with this horrible and extremely loud buzzin g noise/tinnitus that appears shortly after the beginning of a 'brain zap' attack. It's a new thing that never happened to me before. But I also have a tinnitus most of the time when I'm awake. Although the sounds are quiet and different. I think my tinnitus is like that of most people who also experience it, so there's nothing unusual about it.

I have always thought of it as a short, mild epilepsy attack. It haven't drastically progressed over the years or anything like that. I had an MRI and an EEG tests 3 years ago. They found no brain damage on MRI and there was something mild and complicated on EEG, plus I have a small photosensitivity (reaction to flashing lights) which I myself knew before. But no doctor recommended to do anything in particular about it. I visited 2 neurologists and I explained them my 'brain zaps' in details and they didn't say anything about them, even the one that was considered the best one in the town.

I've been wondering what that was for years and I couldn't find anything on the internet. I only recently found out it has a name thanks to my therapist. And I was able to find a tiny bit more about it on the internet.

I know it's mostly known as an after effect of stopping to take some anti-depressants, but I don't take any psychiatric meds and I never did. Plus those people have it when they're awake, but I only have it during sleep.

I only have a chronic autoimmunal thyroid illness and a thyrotoxicosis due to being off meds for a long time, not treating my thyroid and then having a huge stressful experience and a breakdown. I started to have many neurological symtoms 3,5 years ago. It started midly but it went rampant when I had that stressful experience. I freaked out back then and after going through numerous tests and doctors I found out it was due to thyroid issue that progressed into almost clinical thyrotoxicosis. My brain zaps, however, started to appear very long ago, almost a decade before these symptoms started to happen.

On the internet they also say it can be due to anxiety and stress. I have those every day, but I don't have brain zaps every day. There used to be time when it would happen almost every day or twice-thrice a week during a few weeks and then stop and then appear again. Sometimes it can be two days in a row, sometimes per one day. It can disappear for a week, few weeks, a month, a few months, even 6-9 months and then it comes back. It's not tied to anything at all. I used to think it was tied to my exposure to electromagnetic fields (compluters, electronic devises). I used to have this phobia or feeling of being sensitive to electromagnetic fileds (like Chuck from ''Better call Saul''). But seems like it's doesn't depend on it either.

This thing is very real and physical and I can't control it with a thought or something else It's not just me ''being anxious''.
How did I miss this?

Yes. This sounds a lot like myoclonic epilepsy. I don't have a formal diagnosis but I've had similar "zaps" ever since I was about 16, I also definitely have epilepsy because I have had quite a few TC (or grand mal) seizures as well. Read my blog if you haven't.

------------

"Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established." - Carlin
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 06:15 PM
The Lost Generation Club

Language: Python, SQL
My Mood: Brooding
Feel free to read about my brain zap experience/question from 9 years ago: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...0142435AA5Zo0w

The doctors weren't of much help either and I even opted to get some type of brain scan when I was 17 without any sign of a problem.

But as of today, I still do get them on a "slightly less" extent and still never taken any types of meds. Anxiety also hasn't been much of a big issue throughout my late 20s as well. So, I'm still not sure of the root cause. As of this day, the brain zaps still seem to commonly strike whenever I'm mostly lying down or tossing around in bed.

INTJ
Liebowitz SA Scale Test: 19(Fear) + 26(Avoidance) = 45
Big 5: O(40); C(65); E(2); A(27); N(32)
Alignment: True Neutral

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page