Finding: The Role of Engagement Across Conceptually Distinct Treatment Elements for SA - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

The Role of Engagement Across Conceptually Distinct Treatment Elements for SA

Quote:
Social anxiety, an experience of fear and distress in interpersonal or performance situations, occurs commonly for many people, especially during novel interactions or personally important situations. While most people experience this fear and distress to some extent, it does not typically cause significant impairment in functioning.
http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...3Dpsychdiss%22
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 10:02 PM
Single

I think this is an excellent research and a well written dissertation on the effectiveness of SA treatments in general. The study is based on engagement, or the level of involvement the participant is instructed to take in order to be fully exposed to an anxiety-provoking experience like making a speech. While participants were instructed to "try to focus your attention at what you are speaking about and not how well you are doing", many failed to do so based on self and observor ratings, obviously due to SA. Results show, however, that those who engaged at a higher level had greater SA symptom reduction.

Quote:
Results were consistent with the hypothesis that individuals exhibiting high levels of engagement in the public speaking task would show greater reduction across symptom measures, though there was no relationship between engagement and improved confidence regarding future speaking tasks.
The results also showed that the effectiveness of SA treatments such as cognitive restructuring and exposure were the same, in terms of the strength in symptom reduction.

The study shows that the most important factor in reducing SA-related anxiety is engagement, or active participation in the activity that is supposed to give you anxiety, but has instead proven to reduce your symptoms as a result of the exposure.

Thank you, SAD Awareness for this amazing find!

(I hope to do research like this one day but I will summarize it for you.)

"Itís not the long walk home that will change this heart, but the welcome I receive with the restart." -M&S

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page