Social Anxiety is correlated with Low Quality of Life - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Amused

Social Anxiety is correlated with Low Quality of Life

Finally the researchers compared the quality-of-life findings for those individuals who had dysthymia, general anxiety disorder, agoraphobia, or social phobia with those for subjects who had schizoaffective disorder, schizophrenia, or bipolar disorder. They found that those with anxiety disorders or dysthymia suffered even more than those with the three more severe disorders did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 05:44 PM
Failure's Art

Yay we win! We officially have the worst lives ever ever! Go us! We've taken the gold at the personality disorder olympics!

too scared to live; too scared to die
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 05:57 PM
SAS Member

We are playing life in expert mode. Makes it more virtuous to manage to stay alive with this curse.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 06:02 PM
📝📸🎬💾🎲⚾🚀⛰🍪💡

Language: '̸̼̩̑́̄͆̾͆̿́̕ṅ̶͒́
Turns out people who have mental disorders defined to mean that they experience frequent distress and unhappiness, tend to have a low quality of life (where quality of life is defined as being happy). Who'd have guessed? And surprisingly dysthymia, which is defined as having a low mood for 2+ years, has the closest correlation with having a low quality of life aka mood. Research funds well-spent.

Play The Social Anxiety Game

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 06:31 PM
SAS Member

Damn. Link to the study?
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatswhat View Post
Damn. Link to the study?
https://psychnews.psychiatryonline.o...hnews_46_2_032
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 08:28 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatswhat View Post
Damn. Link to the study?
https://psychnews.psychiatryonline.o...hnews_46_2_032
Thanks. Y’know... this is kind of validating. I’m not crazy - SA really does make a person unhappy.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 08:47 PM
Fupa King

Language: English
Who would have thought anxiety permeating conventional day to day experience for years on end would make a person's life less happy.

Life's Wack
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 09:15 PM
SAS Member

Just gotta grind on....
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 09:32 PM
lagrimas negras

Knowing that my anxiety issues probably means I suffer more than others (or vice versa) doesn't really make a difference to me. I still have to live my own life regardless of who's better off/who's worse off than I am.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasjune View Post
Knowing that my anxiety issues probably means I suffer more than others (or vice versa) doesn't really make a difference to me. I still have to live my own life regardless of who's better off/who's worse off than I am.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes but the post isn't about you. The whole point of the post is to bring awareness I guess to people who maybe stigmatize anxiety.To show that anxiety disorders users can suffer as much as bipolar users (or even more in this case).
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 11:02 PM
lagrimas negras

Quote:
Yes but the post isn't about you. The whole point of the post is to bring awareness I guess to people who maybe stigmatize anxiety.To show that anxiety disorders users can suffer as much as bipolar users (or even more in this case).
That's a good point. At my age it won't make a difference for me but thinking about it, more awareness and understanding about what severe anxiety can do to a person is a step in the right direction.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 03:25 AM
Not like the other ducks

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Doesn't surprise me because social anxiety disorder is more likely to go untreated and bipolar people at least have highs and don't necessarily have anxiety, which is more debilitating in the modern world. Schizophrenia symptoms are bad though because they effect motivation etc negatively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fisher, capitalist realism
The psychological conflict raging within individuals cannot but have casualties. Marazzi is researching the link between the increase in bi-polar disorder and post-Fordism and, if, as Deleuze and Guattari argue, schizophrenia is the condition that marks the outer edges of capitalism, then bi-polar disorder is the mental illness proper to the 'interior' of capitalism. With its ceaseless boom and bust cycles, capitalism is itself fundamentally and irreducibly bi-polar, periodically lurching between hyped-up mania (the irrational exuberance of 'bubble thinking') and depressive come-down. (The term 'economic depression' is no accident, of course). To a degree unprecedented in any other social system, capitalism both feeds on and reproduces the moods of populations. Without delirium and confidence, capital could not function.
Also supposedly schizoid personality disorder actually has the lowest quality of life for mental health disorders, especially if you also have autism:

Quote:
SPD is a poorly studied disorder, and there is little clinical data on SPD because it is rarely encountered in clinical settings. Studies have generally reported a prevalence of less than 1%[4][11] (a few estimates, however, have been as high as 4%).[5] It is more common in males than in females.[11] SPD is linked to negative outcomes, including a significantly compromised quality of life, reduced overall functioning even after 15 years and one of the lowest levels of "life success" of all personality disorders (measured as "status, wealth and successful relationships").[8][9][10] Bullying is particularly common towards schizoid individuals.[3][19] Suicide may be a running mental theme for schizoid individuals, though they are not likely to actually attempt one.[20] Some symptoms of SPD (e.g. solitary lifestyle and emotional detachment), however, have been stated as general risk factors for serious suicidal behaviour.[21]
Quote:
Several studies have reported an overlap or comorbidity with the autism spectrum disorder Asperger syndrome.[63][15][16]Asperger syndrome had traditionally been called "schizoid disorder of childhood", and Eugen Bleuler coined both the terms "autism" and "schizoid" to describe withdrawal to an internal fantasy, against which any influence from outside becomes an intolerable disturbance.[64] In a 2012 study of a sample of 54 young adults with Asperger syndrome, it was found that 26% of them also met criteria for SPD, the highest comorbidity out of any personality disorder in the sample. Additionally, twice as many men with Asperger syndrome met criteria for SPD than women. While 41% of the whole sample were unemployed with no occupation, this rose to 62% for the Asperger's and SPD comorbid group.[15] Tantam suggested that Asperger syndrome may confer an increased risk of developing SPD.[63] A 2019 study found that 54% of a group of adolescent males aged with Asperger syndrome showed significant SPD traits (6% meeting full diagnostic criteria for SPD, compared to 0% the controls).[16]
I imagine the deadness that accompanies schizoid PD and schizophrenia reduces some of the acute suffering though.

I think when societies reach a certain level of unhappiness usually linked in part to economics and perceived scarcity, they find a way to trigger a war, and then feel happier after the war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube comment
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 03:45 AM

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
The whole point of the post is to bring awareness I guess to people who maybe stigmatize anxiety.
Ummmm.....you're kinda helping them, aren't you?
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 04:00 AM
Permanently Banned

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry

WOW! Yep!

my general diagnosis can be dysphasia

my temporal lobe damage?
language-processing difficulty

occasional MRI scans every few years, usually straight after shocked state of being assaulted socially, morally. resus, rehab inpatient a few months

no problem speaking boldly, altho very struck faint, powerless in presence of elders, ANY authority at all! i crumble and can fail to plump up a strong announcement? affected by any under-thumb nature of U CAN'T nature of any person's opinions, Ego!... my big brother! my friends on a level! √

fact i can perform and deserve to resume my career!!! bouncing back for max 2-year gaps. no hospital inpatient time 4 months monitored, incarcerated! always involving Xmas! Nov-Feb! not related to any inability!!! like falling over when running? get up & carry on. discharge statement: UNFIT FOR WORK! WWRRONGG!! ILLEGAL! 4 months in a ward does not correlate at all to time working in office on database operations, analysis, all businesses, including NHS & many more. i anchored down, not allowed any interview since 2011. life over. strong thread. how each affects each other.. lack of partner can affect employers' judgement! a human must be a full all-rounder! high salary required to get married & kids! if none of those.. a loner, loser will never get employed! one little boost just let me work, i be happy, all others be happy. they get what they want out of me. let me! scorn, frowns not good of employers
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 12:35 PM

Language: American English, some Spanish
Having to had been diagnosed with GAD and one 'of the worse' disorders, I will say that anxiety just puts the icing on the cake. Still don't think that one disorder should outweigh another.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
Ummmm.....you're kinda helping them, aren't you?
No? all I am saying is that it people with anxiety disorder isnt something you can snap out of it and we do yes suffer sadly. I feel like there should be more funding towards anxiety disorders.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 02:27 PM
See? No more pain

Language: American English
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNikki View Post
Still don't think that one disorder should outweigh another.
^^^^^^^ This.

I don't see what someone with SA could do with this information besides feel worse, or draw comparisons more than they already do. I choose not to on the basis that I certainly do not think I have it worse than somebody with schizophrenia or bipolar.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 02:35 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Scared
i have whatnot disorders and i can say that the worst of all is social anxiety/people phobia/selective mutism and depression.

shizophrenia and bipolar is nothing
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatch View Post
^^^^^^^ This.

I don't see what someone with SA could do with this information besides feel worse, or draw comparisons more than they already do. I choose not to on the basis that I certainly do not think I have it worse than somebody with schizophrenia or bipolar.
I found the research to be quite interesting and had to share it. If you are looking for advice then I would suggest going to coping with social anxiety.

In any event, Saarni said, “Most striking to me has been the large impact of anxiety disorders and dysthymia, all of which have traditionally been considered neurotic, milder conditions. Anxiety disorders especially have not been high treatment priorities in comparison to depression, even though good evidence-based pharmacological and psychological treatments exist [for the anxiety disorders]. For example, the World Health Organization/World Bank burden-of-disease studies did make the impact of depression well known, but failed to include most anxiety disorders.”

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page