SAD and its stigma in our society - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 01:55 PM
Almighty

How old are you?
Frozen in time at age 39. Don't tell me it's not possible. I'm God and I do what I want!

Since when do you have SAD?
I was terrified of going to first day of class in 1st grade. My mother even beat me with a coat hanger and I still wouldn't go.

Do you have any secondary disorders?
Mental health morons said I could have GAD, SAD AvPD, schizophrenia and/or delusional disorder. It's all bunk.

Have you ever been to therapy before? If not, why? If yes, what kind of therapy?

Shrinks locked me up in a psych hospital for punching a child molester. The therapy they tried to give me was anti-psychotic drugs, but I wouldn't take them.

In what situations is your anxiety really bad?
Job interviews. Dates- those are just another kind of job interview. Hookers work out much better - I interview THEM.

Do the people around you know of your disorder? If not, why?

WTF would I want other people to know what's going on in my head? If you give people something to use against you then you are asking to get [email protected]#$#ed.

Have you ever felt like your disorder isn‘t recognized by others?
Yes. Good. But I had to use it once to threaten a former employer with an ADA lawsuit to get them to take an unfair suspension off my record.

What prejudices do others have?
Loners are all potential mass killers.

How do you cope with those prejudices?
I am a scientist. Many scientists are introverts.

What do you wish from others?
I'd like to get your phone number. Scarpia likes the young stuff!!

Kneel before me worms. I am God.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Relaxed
Thank you for all of your replies! I didn‘t expect so many in such a short amount of time.
It‘s really interesting to see all the different point of views. They‘re all really helpful!

Trying to get through life ?
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 03:25 PM
♎Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
Hope I'm not too late to reply. And sorry this is so long. :/

How old are you?

I've always been shy and sensitive but my social anxiety disorder started forming around age 12-13, when I entered junior high and my best friend moved away and everyone around me started "growing up."

Diagnosed (in addition to social anxiety disorder): Major depressive disorder, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (inattentive type), obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Also suggested in therapy or in therapists' notes: Schizotypal personality disorder, avoidant personality disorder, obsessive-compulsive personality disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, Asperger's syndrome/autism. (My psychiatrist as an adult also said I "act just like someone with PTSD" and requested I ask family members about possible childhood trauma (none of which I'm aware).)

Personally I believe I only suffer from social anxiety disorder and/or avoidant personality disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, a few specific phobias, and Asperger's syndrome/autism.

Have you ever been to therapy before? If not, why? If yes, what kind of therapy?

Twice, as a teen and as an adult when applying for SSI. I don't know what kind of therapy you'd call it, it was mostly talking and meds. The therapy as a teen focused mainly on my OCD and ADD since I wasn't diagnosed with social anxiety disorder yet. The therapy as an adult seemed to consist of mostly, "Go out and talk to people." So, exposure therapy, I guess...?

Treatment for my OCD as a teen helped somewhat, but SSRIs have too many side effects for me to keep taking them and I've regressed seriously since then. Treatment for my anxiety/depression failed completely and I only grew worse. It was terminated in 2012 when they ran out of funding to continue treating me and needed to make room for new clients. I was never diagnosed or treated for the autism I now strongly suspect I have and which I blame for most of my issues, including the anxiety; I tried to ask a psychiatrist who visited me in the hospital after surgery (because I have to mention anxiety/depression/suicidal thoughts on my medical forms) to refer me for assessment, but even though she agreed I show signs of autism, she shook her head and said, "No, no, no." I guess they don't diagnose women as old as I am, even though I've always been like this.

I'm too ashamed/discouraged to seek any more help even if any were available.

Pretty much anything that involves interacting with other people, even if it's just e-mails from tech support or somebody I know well. I have an online friend (my only friend, really) I didn't write to for over a year.

I don't have anybody around me anymore except my parents, and doctors I see for physical disorders...my parents know about it since I've always lived with and depended on them, but sometimes they don't take it very seriously. I don't think my doctors know because I never have any reason to bring it up with them, except on medical forms, and nobody pays much attention to those. (See above.)

Frequently. I've gotten doubt even from the people I live with/am closest to, and from other people with social anxiety disorder. (See purple part of my signature, below.)

Most frequently I'm accused of being a snob or thinking I'm better than others because I'm too afraid to reply to/interact with them. My own dad gets angry when I mumble or feel too upset to reply to him, and my mother called my lack of eye contact "ignorant." -_- Less often, but often enough to somewhat bother me, I suspect people think I'm slow, probably because of how I always trail behind my mother, lack basic life skills, don't do much on my own, and refuse to make eye contact or chat/socialize freely. They kind of look at me strangely and talk to me like I'm a child. (I don't mind that too much, because I actually am pretty childish and ignorant of a lot of things, but still, I think people assume I'm pretty stupid in general until I start talking.)

Those who do believe or know I have this disorder often tell me I should just get over it.

I don't know how to cope with them. :/ I've tried explaining myself numerous times but it makes no difference.

*deepbreath* Firstly, I wish I could at least get the help I feel I need, without somebody telling me that because I'm not quickly getting better, it must be my fault for not trying/expecting too much. (I got that from my last psychologist. It couldn't have been that the "treatment" itself was faulty.) I want there to be better awareness of social anxiety (look at all the ads about depression--anxiety disorders in general are about as common, why are there no ads about that??), as well as better training of therapists to deal with it, and better methods of treatment than "Go out and talk to people." (One successful round of smalltalk with a stranger I'll never see again does not undo years of insults, rejection, and ignoring from people I was trying to befriend.) There need to be better meds than side-effect-riddled SSRIs, or one med you have to take in combo with another med. (Why can't they just make ONE med that works?) There needs to be more widely available treatment for and recognition of comorbid disorders that can contribute to developing SA, in my case, autism assessment in girls or older women, instead of writing us off as being "just shy" and saying we'll "grow out of it." (There needs to be better notice paid to warning signs in children, period--I think of all the missed chances I had for somebody to realize something was seriously wrong with me, and it makes me so angry.) Also, better ways to include anxious people in activities, without making us feel ostracized/ignored OR forcing us to socialize too much too soon, would help a lot. (I've experienced this so I know it can be done.) Maybe more job opportunities for anxious people, like assembling/sorting or typing things at home. (I think that already exists, but it's sure not widespread/easily accessible, and non-anxious people probably snatch those jobs up first.)

But mostly, understanding that somebody being quiet and keeping to themselves does NOT necessarily = uninterested snob...and patience, patience, patience when dealing with or treating us. And not such a focus on victim blaming ("If you're not getting better, it means you're not trying!"). For some of us, it took decades of mostly negative experiences for us to get this bad, so we definitely aren't going to be fixed in a few months or even years of mixed positive/neutral/negative experiences. (Most of my therapy exposure experiences turned out negative, so that REALLY didn't help. Yet when I took all the steps and the other party dropped the ball, I still got blamed for failing and/or for feeling disappointed.)

...I'm being unrealistic, though. I know all of the above, especially that last paragraph, is far too much to ask.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 06:35 PM
SAS Member

How old are you?

It's difficult to pinpoint exactly when my shyness developed in to social anxiety and social anxiety disorder. I think when I was 11 it was becoming serious because I would rarely talk to people or ask for help or anything. I know I was afraid to say anything and attend most social events but I can't remember actually feeling anxious until I was about 16 or something. But I'm not sure, can't remember, it was around those years.

I've never been diagnosed, but I believe I have avoidant personality disorder. I seem to match the symptoms exactly. And probably something else at least but it's messy for me.

I have not. Apart from some kind of school therapist (or whatever they were called) I was pretty much made to see. I don't think they could help me, and I think they most likely wouldn't really care to help me. And I'm too anxious about going through all of that. And I would have trouble being honest with them anyway. I lied to the school therapist the whole way through and never went to see them again. I don't feel comfortable telling a complete stranger about my life and stuff, especially one to one, face to face.

Around people. And the anticipation of being around people. Waiting rooms are quite bad because I'm both around people and waiting to interact with other people. Also just interacting with people in other ways like over the phone and online. Social gatherings when I arrive and everyone's attention is suddenly on me and of course the anticipation of such situations. Pretty much just anything to do with people.

Even receiving an email, knowing that they have sent it many hours ago, I still can feel very anxious about it even though it doesn't make any sense to because nothing can change what has happened. And I always know this but it doesn't really matter that I know this, because it's so irrational. Having to talk in front of quite a few people is also very anxiety inducing because there is plenty of opportunity for me to make a fool of myself, with not only what I say but how I say it.

No. My parents kind of know I get anxious but they don't know of the disorder and so does my older brother and probably my younger brother. I don't think they would really understand and I don't really care to tell them. My older brother kept pushing me for information, and when I finally gave him something (I said I get anxious, or something along those lines) he didn't really understand and seemed to use that as an opportunity to boost his own ego and call me a *****. He did try and help in his own way but he obviously didn't know what he was dealing with and had no chance of helping me anyway. I'm not sure there is much point in telling people who can't even begin to understand.

Yes, to the disorder in general. People don't even know it exists, it seems. I didn't know it existed until I almost stumbled across it when was about 18 and finally knew what was wrong with me.

I don't know about the disorder, because I don't know that anyone knows about it. But people who don't know or understand very often seem to make incorrect assumptions about my behaviour.

I understand that they can help their actions about as much as I can help my own. And I know that they aren't going to be able to know my problems.

I could wish a lot of things but I don't think any would be realistic. Maybe understanding that not everything is how they assume or believe it is and that people can't really help how they are, so negative emotions towards others doesn't make sense. This should cover every living creature not just those with mental illness.
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 05:35 AM
🐱🐾😄

Ha what? Stigma is self-imposed by your irrational thinking. Like thinking the world is out to get you or other people won't let you fit in. Ha bull****. I/you do it to myself/yourself. Sure some people are negative about everything and everyone but they're not the ones out to get you or won't let you fit in or are in your way of happiness. You and I are in our own ****ing way. Sure, it's easier to blame everything on an outside force.
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 05:28 PM
Joz
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddjelassi View Post
How old are you?

I think I was always a little shy but when I went I started primary school and my parents split up is when it seemed more like social anxiety.

Not sure never been diagnosed but think I have BDD.

No I haven’t I’ve enquired about it but it’s quite expensive so I’m trying to read self help books.

-When I feel like I have failed or am going to be rejected.
-when I have to perform tasks infront of people or am the centre of attention.
-In front of large groups of people.
-Sometimes walking down the street or going to a gym
-Meeting people that I feel like I have to make a good impression on e.g. my partners friends and their partners, housemates etc (strangers are ok).
-Being the odd one out. If everyone else is a lot younger or older than me, if I’m the only one dressed casual when it was meant to be formal etc.
-people who are too loud but aren’t actually chatty and don’t really have anything to talk about either
-interviews

I used to have extreme anxiety going into clothing stores that had really girly clothes, walking into a classroom late (sometimes I’d skip that class), eating out or infront of people I don’t know well and I always wore oversized clothing (but I’ve overcome those completely now).

Could be more?

I only figured out I had this disorder in the last year. I’ve mentioned it to my parents but they don’t really understand it and think I might be exaggerating. My dads a bit more oh yeah well you’ve always been shy and my mum just talks about herself and how she came from a large household where they just had to do stuff and there’s no time for nonsense like that.

It’s never talked about where I’m from. And no one in my family has it that I know of.

Hmm people have always said I was different, sometimes weird, quiet and they assume that I’m more sensible, intelligent, kind hearted, laid back person. Sometimes people say I’m not very emotional or they think I’m boring and assume I grew up in a more upper class family (which is almost the opposite).

I’m okay with them now. Some aren’t actually bad. I’m a bit more chatty and open than I used to be but I’ll still never be like a ‘typical’ person and I like that I’m not.

The thing I don’t get is that people who know me the least make too many assumptions about me on day one, which are generally incorrect, whereas people that know me a lot better see me for who I really am and never had those assumptions.

I think I wish that people were more kind in general. We seem like a destructive species still trying to outcompete one another “survival of the fittest”, whereas we are supposed to be intelligent so why can’t we live together in a more harmonious and balanced way.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 01:04 PM
dont believe in titles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz View Post
I think I wish that people were more kind in general. We seem like a destructive species still trying to outcompete one another “survival of the fittest”, whereas we are supposed to be intelligent so why can’t we live together in a more harmonious and balanced way.
this is something i think about all the time. id like a more cooperative society. competition is painful but healthier than people think. TOO MUCH competition-- being overcompetitive as a society is a waste of potential, its like starving because you throw out every bit of food that is more than 10 minutes old. overcompetitiveness is just nitpicking people who have much to offer and denying the benefits of their participation. its tragic, because most of that potential is squandered by others.

but, most of the ideas people come up with to compensate for that are also terrible ideas. in fact, most ideas about anything are terrible ideas. about 90% of ideas are just c***.

so people get too attached to ideas when they could be amended, thrown out for better ones, and unlock a great deal more of the potential for good in our species.

and as far as i can tell, the answer to that is-- keep trolling the good in people to try to taunt their best nature out of its shell and come after you. then run like heck and let them do their good to the world around them. sure, it might take you a while to figure out how the heck to do that. but just try. and imagine if everyone did. and then do it whenever you can. if you cant figure out how, dont worry-- just keep trying to. you might not know when youve accomplished it. but at least youve got an idea that has the power to make life better for humanity.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 07:03 PM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
Oh everything is stigmatized if it happens to be inconvenient for the masses. Doesn't matter whether it's officially recognized as a disorder or not (although if your existence is inconvenient for others in any way shape or form, there's probably an official "disorder" that puts you right in a "Something's wrong with you!" slot).

The way I look at it, it boils down to peer pressure. It's just people doing what people do. They try to change you and if you don't respond to gentle persuasion, they take out the sledgehammer and the ole shoehorn. Pretty pathetic overall.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 06:57 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Happy
How old are you?

I developed it when I was 12. Beat it last year when I was 25.

Depression.

Yes, I still go. We talk about what's been happening in my life and she helps me explain a lot. We also tried mindfulness.

Well it used to be really bad when I would think of situations, or when I was around 1, 2 or hundreds of people. It made no difference.

Yes they did.

Ummm yes. But recently it seems like it has peaked in awareness.

Not understanding that I am quiet for a reason. Or I was feeling down but not many people picked up on it. Maybe my fault, idk.

Well I used to get angry at myself a lot. I wasn't the person people wanted me to be. They would ignore me or not wonder if I was okay but it seemed like they did with other people. So I just hated myself.

To be kind and understanding. But I want everyone to be themselves.

Be kind to one another
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 08:19 AM
MAGA

How old are you?

I first remember being scared of others at preschool. I remember trying to play with them and also during kindergarten but I was always ostracized. I gave up by 4th grade. The usually taunting and occasional bullying or insults seemed endless. I tried to avoid fights, but couldn't get out of a few where my elbow skin was scrapped open with a big scar to this day.

Psych testing had diagnosed me paranoid schizo. Maybe some sight dyslexia and autism. Stunting of growth of social skills. Bad apneia during sleep.

In my early 20's. I guess it was regular talk therapy. I realized now most of the quack industry is just an employment excuse on shoddy science and most all of them know squat or really care about SA. The main contribution to society of shrinks is really recognizing and locking up the violent and criminally insane. The rest is unproven quackery and selling of psychotropics pushed by big pharma.

Most group types of two people or more, and completely fail at group "interpersonal" interaction. Parties. "Mob" and noisy group activities. Involuntary center of attention situations.

Most of my relatives. It's caused severe damage where the relatives of my age don't respect me at all anymore. Very few truly understand. As for everyone else, see Scarpia's answer above which I mostly agree with.

Much of the time. But some do recognize it and already judge SA as a loser and coward's excuse anyways.

Loners are losers. And more highly suspect to be criminals or potential murder or "going postal" suspects. Sometimes bullies or ***holes provoke in various ways in order to justify their disdainful judgement.

Mostly ignore it if I have to or walk away if I've a choice.

Mostly to be left alone. I don't care all that much now. Life is going by quicker now. It'll all be over sooner from the personal perspective. Like the waitress said in "Terminator", who's going to care in a hundred years.
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:15 PM
SAS Member

Responses:

Very late with this and sorry if I'm of no help at this point, but here goes nothing:

How old are you?
I'm currently 24, going in 25. Yikes.

I'd like to think I've had SAD since I was in the third grade, but I only just recently discovered SAD was even a thing.

I currently also suffer from OCD. My particular tick is being a super-charged neat-freak/germ-nut.

I have not been to therapy because 1) I have not admitted to having these problems with my folks and 2) my folks aren't likely to believe in my problems nor waste money on having someone fix what they technically caused.

My anxiety gets bad whenever I'm put under duress that involves unfamiliar social-interactions and or lots of people. I don't like being the center of attention, so presentations, interviews, and all things like that are pretty much the death of me. I prefer one-to-one situations where I'm not being constantly critiqued (even though we all do judge at first glance).

I have made an extraneous effort to make sure no one I know finds out that I'm suffering from SA much less giving away my identity online. Considering the very poor awareness SA has in the media, my folks aren't necessarily going online to find things like this forum as I have. The reason I haven't shared this with my family is because I think I know how they'd react (unsupportive). Let's just say that I've been with them long enough to know what they think of certain things.

Considering the media doesn't really recognize it as much, I would say yes. I think it's important however, to mention that I rarely converse with people and because of the limited exposure, I don't really ever even get the chance to bring up anything significantly personal like that. Furthermore, I'd rather say I'm introverted than someone with SA just 'cause I'm afraid of the prejudice I'd get from admitting I have a mental disorder....

I think the prejudice people without SA have for people with mental disorders is that they're awkward, unstable, etc. Basically, we're like a different species who aren't relatable—or if in the states, are prone to pulling outrageous stunts like mass murders and stuff like that. It is not a positive image that is given to us and instead, we are seemingly constantly thrown into a shadow of society. As I say this, I feel that SA and other disorders have received more recognition and awareness online as of late thanks to select mediums as well as the fact that more and more people are coming to inhibit traits found in those with SA (at least from what I've seen in the last decade).

Put simply, I don't. I consider myself an average Joe but I can't help but feel like I shouldn't disclose such a thing to anyone. At most, I'm willing to admit to being introverted ('cause I am), but that's as far as I'll go. There's a stigma that goes along with that too, but I feel like it isn't as bad as it is with having SA or any other disorder. It isn't so much having SA but what having SA causes that really puts a downward spiral in any effort gone into improving one's self. In my case, I can sometimes lack fundamental understanding of societal norms, popular concepts, etc. This affects not only my confidence but my ability to do the "easiest" thing that is small talk. Honestly, I don't know how I'm going to find a partner when I can't even woo a recruiter to hire me.

All I wish is that folk treat others with respect and for them to keep an open mind to people they meet (suffering or not). Furthering that, they should only take to face value what they see on the news and other outlets. We are a bit more "broken" than others, but that doesn't mean we are any less human. We have an extended fear that prohibits us from committing to things others probably share interest in. Everyone has fears, and as such, we share the same qualities as everyone else. The thing that makes us unique is how we are affected by those fears. To be clear, I don't consider myself "special" just 'cause I have SA nor do I see fit to put barriers between me and other types of people in society (aside from the obvious bad crowd). I think folk with SA are typically going to offer a lot more empathy than the next person but that doesn't mean everyone with SA is going to share the best qualities nor fit into one groups full of clones. Again, at the end of the day, we're human. We're just a little rough around the edges. Everyone's had an experience that they could relate to in regards to SA or anxiety in general, so I think the things society should try to do is to lessen these barriers people seem to create with each other. People who like sports should be able to like people who are into others things and vice versa. Along that line of thinking, people with SA are just regular people with special worries and tendencies. We should make an effort to get along despite the stigmas and prejudices that already exist.

Thus concludes my two-cent feedback.

Thank-You.

Though I have always made it my practice to be pleasant to everybody, I have not once actually experienced friendship. I have only the most painful recollections of my various acquaintances ..."
― Osamu Dazai, No Longer Human
post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:05 PM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

Sure, there's a stigma against being a f'ckin freak outcast loser. And that's not going to f'in change. Nobody wants to be around that.

Inspired by true events
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:19 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
How old are you?

Depression.

Yes since 1st year of college. There was no way to get help before that as my parents did not want to believe I had a problem. It is CBT and exposure.

Meeting new people, small talk, discussion-based college classes, presentations or speeches, group conversations (I struggle with one-on-one and as soon as you start adding more people in I fall apart socially haha), unstructured events where you are expected to mingle like large get-togethers, asking people to my my partner for projects, dating, making friends, being assertive, handling conflict etc.

I told my roommate and my parents. They think it is medicalized shyness and not a problem. I will not be telling anyone else.

Social anxiety isn’t really widely known about even though it is pretty common. Like 7% of the population or something crazy like that suffers from it in a given year. So yes I wish more people knew it existed.

I don’t think we experience prejudice so much as just a lack of understanding. People tend to think I am being rush, standoffish, stuckup, when really I am just absolutely terrified.

Not sure I really do.

I just wish there was more awareness and understanding, and I wish people would not be so fast to jump to conclusions about why a person is acting the way that they are.

"Pick out your paralysis and unlock it, and flex the fear till it builds you a rocket and rise, and if you fall, at least you'll end up between where you will be and where you would have been." -Sara B
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:33 PM
(*__*)

Language: N/A
How old are you?
Entire life
BDD, OCD, Depression
No, when I was younger it was discouraged by family and I'm scared to admit to the world I have mental problems
Being around people, so work, school, store, talking on phone, talking in general, anything social
I don't think so...I don't talk about it
Yes
They think I'm retarded and inferior probably...I get rejected a lot and no one wants to be around me
I hide and spend time alone, also animals help me cope
Idk, I don't think most people are capable of understanding what I'm about...so nothing

That's where the pain comes in
Like a second skeleton
Trying to fit beneath the skin
I can't fit the feelings in

-Fiona Apple
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:02 PM
SAS Member

How old are you?
Since when have you had SA?
I remember doing things by myself when I was young, but school started being terrifying in 3rd grade, I think.
Depression, mostly situational.
Have you been to therapy?
Not until my 30s, after a significant breakdown. I go every week now, but I'm coming to the realization that my therapist doesn't understand SA. She hasn't been able to hear my whole story yet, and is amazed I'm functioning at all.
Being around people. Most people. Sometimes even my kids. Shopping, eating, school,(even online).
Do the people around you know of your disorder?
Yes. But that doesn't mean they understand. Except my daughter. She has it, also, but it hasn't disabled her... and I hope it never does.
I don't think it's prejudice, exactly, I think they can't imagine the feeling of sheer terror at the thought of talking to another person that I don't know already. Sooo, lack of empathy?
How do you cope with these prejudices?
Like everyone else, I don't. Oh! Another coexisting disorder? Avoidant Personality. If something stresses me out, I just avoid it. I don't go anywhere, I don't do anything fun. It's enough just getting through what I have to do. I don't need more.
That they wouldn't assume that because I can't work outside the home, I should be able to take care of whatever they don't want to. I will be raising a grandchild until I am 67, because my stepdaughter has addiction issues, and the father wants to start his "bucket list". My husband died almost 2 years ago,after a lengthy illness, and I am probably never going to be able to do anything I planned until I am too old. Whoo hoo.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 12:08 PM
Permanently Banned

I'm sure you're done with your paper, and I hope you found the earlier replies helpful. Anyway, I'm just posting this for all of posterity:

How old are you?
30 something - like a surprisingly large number of people on this forum (most sites have younger people).

Since brutal bullying in 3rd-4th grades

Yes, of course. Suicide ideation, generalized anxiety, major depression, OCD-like traits, CPTSD (Complex PTSD), etc.

Yes, since childhood. All sorts of therapy - talk, CBT/ACT/DBT, group therapy, drama/art therapy, all sorts of therapists/clinics. Lots of bad experiences, too. No therapist can handle more complicated, extreme cases like mine.

It's less anxiety for me and more about people's stigmas, stereotypes, and seeing/treating me as intrinsically inferior. Of course, the more people look down on me and mistreat me, the more anxious and disgusting I come across.

No one knows about SAD. Mainly I'm just seen, wrongly, as lowly, poor, uneducated, crude, robotic, ugly, and worthy of abuse.

Yes, of course. See above answer.

It's my shy, awkward demeanor combined with my hated ethnicity and unattractive face. They're subconsciously biased and jump to conclusions based on this vague entity that they're seeing.

I'm forced to stay home, not socialize, and basically live like a bump on log.

No matter what I do, or how much I pray, or do Law of Attraction stuff, or pretend I'm a Goddess - none of my "wishes" are ever fulfilled. It's always "you're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't" for me.
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 01:40 PM
loner.

Language: English
How old are you?
28 years young.

It happened sometime during my highschool years maybe?

GAD, depression, and agoraphobia.

Yes I have been to countless therapists. Um regular and cognitive behavioral therapy.

Being around anyone that I don't know what well or anyone I don't hangout with a lot.

My family knows about it but some of them don't understand it.

Have you ever felt like your disorder isn't recognized by others?
Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't.

About me? That I am stuck up and/or stupid. Probably pathetic..

Stay home and do my thing or go to my parents house.

That even if you don't understand my struggle, you can still respect it.

"The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.”
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old Today, 01:23 PM
I'm somewhat trash.

Language: American English
My Mood: Bored
How old are you?
I am 26 years of age.

since the ripe age of ten.

Yes I do. agoraphobia, insomnia and depression.

I have been to therapy but it was in my younger years.

In every social situation, hell, typing on forums is a challenge.

Yes they do. (for the most part)

If you mean in the downplaying/minimizing sense, then yes.

They veiw people with social problems as 'weak' or 'ridiculous'

Honestly? I hide. lmao

Just for understanding, not many people have that nowadays.

"
Lets spend the rest of summer stoned
and we'll wake up for the winter
Without a memory of the sun,
And there'll be nothing to moan about.

I dreamt a life where you were gone,
In a jumble sale of memories,
You wore a sign around your neck
And it read not for sale today.
"
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old Today, 01:47 PM
loser

Language: some French, some German, English and my mother tongue
How old are you?

- from a very young age, I remember symptoms under the age of 6, extreme shyness, not contributing in class, feelings of shame when I needed to ask to go to the bathroom etc

- I don't think so, perhaps I have a slight depression but I'm not sure

- No, I don't believe it's possible to change something you suffer from since childhood

- when I have to meet people whom I perceive as "better" than I am, for example doctors, engineers or generally people who have a higher degree or a job that is seen as more desirable.
These days I have it with all kinds of people because I'm deeply ashamed of how my life has turned out. I have difficulties accepting it, yet I can't find the power to change it. At my age it is practically too late to turn it around.

-No, not really. They wouldn't accept how bad it is, they wouldn't understand

-I don't think people in general are aware of SA, I only know of the term myself since about 2 years

-That people with SA are just lazy because they don't take initiative, that they don't care about anything.

- I understand them, it must be difficult to understand when you don't have it yourself. Like it is equally difficult to understand why some people are gay when you are not gay yourself.

- Nothing, they can't help it that I am who I am

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page