Finding: Modulation of Social Influence by Methylphenidate - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
User Requested Permanent Ban

Modulation of Social Influence by Methylphenidate

Quote:
The ability to infer value from the reactions of other people is a common and essential ability with a poorly understood neurobiology. Commonly, social learning matches one's values and behavior to what is perceived as normal for one's social group. This is known as conformity. Conformity of value correlates with neural activity shared by cognitions that depend on optimum catecholamine levels, but catecholamine involvement in conformity has not been tested empirically. Methylphenidate (MPH) is an indirect dopamine and noradrenalin agonist, commonly used for the treatment of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder for which it reduces undesirable behavior as evaluated by peers and authority figures, indicative of increased conformity. We hypothesized that MPH might increase conformity of value.
http://www.nature.com/npp/journal/va...p2011337a.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 09:05 AM
Reposed in awesomeness...

Interesting. I had been thinking for a while that consistently raising dopamine levels slightly it would change they way people with SA process emotional information and in the long term would help to mitigate SA, rather than the system a lot of people on here seem to prefer which is to take dopaminergics a couple of times a week for the little bit of euphoria that puts their SA on hold for a while...

I am currently reposed on a stratum of my own pure abstract awesomeness(cubed)...

Diphenidine and ethylphenidate FTW!

Social anxiety can bite my arse...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 01:26 AM
Dynamo

Methylphenidate's Ritalin, right? Threads about difficulty staying motivated and focussed are quite common on SAS, so its an interesting link.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 06:26 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny neurotic View Post
Interesting. I had been thinking for a while that consistently raising dopamine levels slightly it would change they way people with SA process emotional information and in the long term would help to mitigate SA, rather than the system a lot of people on here seem to prefer which is to take dopaminergics a couple of times a week for the little bit of euphoria that puts their SA on hold for a while...
Makes sense. Do you have more information on this?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 07:15 AM
Reposed in awesomeness...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alte View Post
Makes sense. Do you have more information on this?
Only that D2 binding is low in SA. So rebalancing with a DRI long term(concomintanly with CBT perhaps) should theoretically help to overcome SA. Although there are other receptors that may need pharmacological attention - serotonin 1A, 2A and 2C for example...

I am currently reposed on a stratum of my own pure abstract awesomeness(cubed)...

Diphenidine and ethylphenidate FTW!

Social anxiety can bite my arse...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 06:54 AM
Freesix88

Always worked better for me than dextrovitamines , for focus at least and depression.

You will never get out because you were never alive!
Anhedonia/Social anxiety
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 03:37 AM
SAS Member

Adderral did wonders for my social anxiety. Unfortunately it isn't prescribed for social anxiety though. Also mph and and adderral are basically just milder speed. They aren't to good for you.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page