Free and confidential internet treatment for social anxiety - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Free and confidential internet treatment for social anxiety

UNIVERSITY OF NEW ENGLAND (AUSTRALIA)
SCHOOL OF PSYCHOLOGY

Do you get anxious in social situations?

Does your anxiousness affect your life and hold you back from the things you want to do?

If you answer yes to both of these questions and you are not currently receiving treatment for social anxiety, you may qualify to participate in a study of a therapeutic web site designed to help you overcome social anxiety and live a more fulfilling life. All participation is via the Internet, is free and completely confidential. For more information, without any commitment, contact Tamara Ferris, 4th year honours student: [email protected]
(Participants not accepted into study after 1st June 2009.)

Researchers: Tamara Ferris and John Malouff, PhD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 11:17 PM
SAS Member

How often are things like this posted up?
Is there anyway to tell if they are for real?
I just go along with it until you get asked for bank details?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 12:29 PM
SAS Member

I dropped them a line too.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

it's definately not a scam and really is free

Hi,
I understand people are very skeptical about anything online these days- I'm one of them!! I guarantee you I am a real person and this is a real ad- it's not a scam. I'm an honours student and am looking at the effectiveness of a self-help internet-based treatment for my thesis as I think it could have great benefits to sufferers of social anxiety. Not only is it FREE and confidential but you don't have to worry about going to an appointment or group session and you can do the work any time of the day or night.
I hope I can get some more participants contacting me, no credit card details required!! lol No participants can be considered after June 1 2009.
Thanks,
Tamara
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Permanently Banned

"you are not currently receiving treatment for social anxiety" - meaning what? Medication? Therapy? Self-help?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Hi,
If you are undergoing self help treatment that is fine. If you are on medication that is fine too. Those receiving other psychological treatment will not be included in the study as we believe it would be unethical to offer treatment without consultation with your therapist and it would be impossible to discuss each individual with each individual therapist.
Thanks, Tamara
[email protected]
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 06:03 PM
SAS Member

I also sent an email. Not currently receiving treatment but seroiusly considering going to a therapist again. I'm somewhat jaded about counseling but then what other options are there except to sit around by myself for the rest of my life. Not good. Definitely not good.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 01:40 PM
SAS Member

Well I never got a reply so I guess they have filled their quota. That's always my luck. Oh well.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 03:36 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner_Girl View Post
How often are things like this posted up?
Is there anyway to tell if they are for real?
I just go along with it until you get asked for bank details?
The email address is "@une.edu.au", so you know it's a real address at a real University. You can't fake that. Here is the original announcement from the University's website:

http://blog.une.edu.au/news/2009/04/...eatment-trial/

Quote:
“People suffering from social anxiety may also be less likely to seek the help of a trained psychotherapist, which is why we want to determine whether this new, Web-based treatment could be an effective alternative for them.”
This describes me perfectly, so I signed up. Hopefully they'll include me and it will at least help me build up the confidence to see a real therapist.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page