Why doesn't therapy work for me? - Social Anxiety Forum
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 28

Why doesn't therapy work for me?


for this condition, and I tried several, it seems that too many spend time on just talking about it, I never met one therapist who actually went with me in public and worked on it, that's the main problem, and it's also risky to do this because you might be seen by someone you know in public.
WolverineLogan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 07:42 AM
Tired
 
SplendidBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: UK
Language: English
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,517
Depends on:

1. Your diagnosis
2. The competency / education / specialism of the therapist
3. How much you are willing to commit to the process
4. The type of therapy
5. How good a connection you have with the therapist.

I had 9 therapists before I found one who had any positive impact.
SplendidBob is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungal Pete View Post
Depends on:

1. Your diagnosis
2. The competency / education / specialism of the therapist
3. How much you are willing to commit to the process
4. The type of therapy
5. How good a connection you have with the therapist.

I had 9 therapists before I found one who had any positive impact.

I don't have the time and the money to find the right one. I've seen many. I quit years ago. I was tired of it. They just try to make it last forever so I will keep paying.
WolverineLogan is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 09:29 AM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist
 
Maslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Denver
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineLogan View Post
I don't have the time and the money to find the right one. I've seen many. I quit years ago. I was tired of it. They just try to make it last forever so I will keep paying.
That's right. If they "cure" you, they lose a customer. If they were in business to cure people, that would be a pretty crappy business model.

Nobody loves me but my dog, and I think he might be jivin', too.
Maslow is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 08:17 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 62
My Mood: Amused
I agree with the business model angle. However, if you look at the psych principles they are taught, it's something like they want to help you explore a personal journey where you solve your own problems -- they do not solve them for you.

I think there are better resources for social skill development. Psychs are generally academically taught and are basically telling you things they learned in a classroom. I'd have to be skeptical if they themselves dont' suffer from SA and had to learn social skills as adults themselves. And some psychs are just better than others with treatment methods. The first two i chatted with I enjoyed getting things off my chest and just talking about issues. That was a psychological relief. Talk therapy. However, in terms of improvement, there was nothing really helpful after that... they didn't instruct me to do things... and I stopped going. Honestly, I feel I would have had better luck going to a behavioral school for autistic kids, b/c there they focus and teach basic social skills.

Actually, my side project is to focus on those social skills... it's not easy, b/c there are so many... but definitely give my podcast a listen, I inject a lot of personal stories.

my social skills blog/podcast: socialshiners.com
ronaldjshine is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 08:48 PM
Harvestor Of Sorrow
 
rockyraccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dust In The Wind
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldjshine View Post
I agree with the business model angle. However, if you look at the psych principles they are taught, it's something like they want to help you explore a personal journey where you solve your own problems -- they do not solve them for you.

I think there are better resources for social skill development. Psychs are generally academically taught and are basically telling you things they learned in a classroom. I'd have to be skeptical if they themselves dont' suffer from SA and had to learn social skills as adults themselves. And some psychs are just better than others with treatment methods. The first two i chatted with I enjoyed getting things off my chest and just talking about issues. That was a psychological relief. Talk therapy. However, in terms of improvement, there was nothing really helpful after that... they didn't instruct me to do things... and I stopped going. Honestly, I feel I would have had better luck going to a behavioral school for autistic kids, b/c there they focus and teach basic social skills.

Actually, my side project is to focus on those social skills... it's not easy, b/c there are so many... but definitely give my podcast a listen, I inject a lot of personal stories.
If therapy does not work one can always try support groups because not only do you get **** off your chest but they also provide feedback when you share. They provide great insight and can relate to your problems and teach you how they overcame or are dealing with related issues.

And wet she rose from the lake, and fast and fleet went she
One half the form of a maiden fair with a jet black mare's body

And loud, long and shrill he blew til his steed was by his side
High overhead the grey hawk flew and swiftly did he ride
Saying "Course well, my brindled hound, and fetch me the jet black mare
Stoop and strike, my good grey hawk, and bring me the maiden fair"
rockyraccoon is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 09:05 PM
SAS Member
 
andy0128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Europe
Gender: Male
Age: 39
Posts: 5,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineLogan View Post

I don't have the time and the money to find the right one. I've seen many. I quit years ago. I was tired of it. They just try to make it last forever so I will keep paying.
Yes. Same happened to me. When they don't know how to help you beyond the most basic advice i suspect they resort to dragging it out.
andy0128 is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 05:02 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineLogan View Post
for this condition, and I tried several, it seems that too many spend time on just talking about it, I never met one therapist who actually went with me in public and worked on it, that's the main problem, and it's also risky to do this because you might be seen by someone you know in public.
I could have written this myself. Its frustrating isnt it?
In my own opinion I think that most counsellors are only qualified to work with people who have minor depression, anxiety or difficult current life circumstances, they dont know how to treat people who have a mental illness. Theres a big difference between having bad mental health and a mental illness. Its very much like physical health, you can have bad health but that can be improved through exercising or changing your diet. If you have a physical health problem like diabetes or something, it has to be treated a different way and it will never be cured but can managed. Mental health is no different. What you might need is a psychotherapist who can work with you to deal with the issues rather than someone who will just talk to you about your feelings.
Psychotherapy is much more expensive and not attainable for everyone unfortunately but dont give up, you just need to find someone you connect with.
Luzali is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 11:32 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: A very sad place
Gender: Female
Age: 37
Posts: 420
My Mood: Sad
it does not work for me either.
ladysmurf is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can't deal with circle jerk sessions (for lack of better term) at work. uga1992 The Work Place 0 11-09-2016 11:27 AM
taking on social anxiety (my exposure therapy) Chris1981 Triumphs Over Social Anxiety 3 08-06-2013 11:22 AM
did Cognitive Behavioral Therapy not work for you? lundgren Coping With Social Anxiety 5 09-09-2010 06:22 PM
I tried therapy and it does not work! tubelad Therapy 3 07-23-2008 01:45 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome