What CBT exercises do you? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Dude

What CBT exercises do you?

Do any of you practice regular CBT sessions? What kind of exercises do you do?

"An idle mind is the devil's workshop."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 04:26 AM
SAS Member

Abdominal breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, and meditation. I do them only when I feel like, which is rare. I can't keep myself motivated.

edit: oh wait, these have nothing to do with cbt. lol.

Currently on: Depakine, Sediel, Klonopin, Prozac, Risperdal, Vitamin D, Calcium

Tried(Med.): Xanax, Valium, Ativan, Zoloft, Inderal, Tenormin, Paxil, Celexa, Lexapro, Adderall, Effexor, Emsam, Nardil, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Remeron, Lamictal, Abilify, Pristiq

Tried(Sup.): Vitamin B12, Magnesium, Kava Kava, Rhodiola Rosea, Omega-3

Tried(Therapy): CBT
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 04:33 AM
Beautiful Mess

I do meditation. I also do the triple column method of automatic thoughts/cog. distortions/Rational response. aka talking back to your negative thoughts.

If you fall- fall on your back. If you can look up- you can get up. Les Brown

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 04:57 AM
SAS Member

I can say what I did do (no particular order).
Before CBT I was writing up my PhD thesis at home and was on the Internet and not going out much.
I went into uni and went to lunch with a colleague regularly
I went to the departmental coffee room for tea breaks and sat with acquaintances
I went into shops and made a comment to the cashier
I spent less time on the Internet
I tried smiling at people
I tried eye contact with anyone I passed in the street
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 05:29 AM
SAS Member

Things I've so far tried from CBT self help books and suggestions at previous CBT sessions (when I went for a short while back in 2007) include:

Relaxation exercises (so far I've found breathing exercises most helpful out of these, though really only works on anticipatory anxiety rather than when i'm directly in a situation that causes me anxiety)

Thought records + distraction exercises (find these help sometimes but not always)

Also currently trying to tackle deep rooted negative core beliefs and develop alternatives to them to try and reduce feelings of anxiety/depression as well as other negative feelings.

I'm also thinking of trying Graded Exposure. Though haven't started this just yet.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 09:43 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverred View Post
Do any of you practice regular CBT sessions? What kind of exercises do you do?
i use cbt on myself. i use it to look for evidence that contradicts beleifs icreated int he past, i use it to find evidence for new beleifs and i also use it when im actaully in a difficult situation e.g if im a a social event and i find myself saying ''these people think im weird '' then becasue of cbt i can identify what type of thought that is , its''mind reading''. so then i can say to mself ''o there i go mind reading again'' which helps to decrease the anxiety
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMay1977 View Post
I do meditation. I also do the triple column method of automatic thoughts/cog. distortions/Rational response. aka talking back to your negative thoughts.
Lost me there for a second

Thanks for the replies. I have forgotten somethings about CBT and I have been getting less active with CBT these several months, after I have been getting more into society. But it is not necessarily because I'm doing better.

But it looks like i'm doing it correctly. I conjure up previous or faux situations that give me high anxiety. I ask myself what is the worst that can happen? Is it really that bad? And then of think of what is causing me to be anxious. Then counter belief. The hard part is making sure I have the right reason and a good counter belief. I repeat several times and then store that counter belief for when anxiety strikes.

I've never tried the exercise where you repeat phrases over and over again each day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socially inept View Post
I find myself saying ''these people think im weird '' then becasue of cbt i can identify what type of thought that is , its''mind reading''. so then i can say to mself ''o there i go mind reading again'' which helps to decrease the anxiety
Is that all you say? This one I actually have trouble convincing me to stop thinking. My old phrase was "You have no idea what he/she is thinking." Did you create like a subconscious link that mind reading is bad first? After that counter, do you have to push the thought away or does the counter neutralize the need to think.

"An idle mind is the devil's workshop."
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 04:03 PM
SAS Member

The only part of CBT that I've really managed to somewhat practice is the elimination of negative thoughts.

However, I've recently started getting into meditation, and I've decided to add aromatherapy to my recovery as well. I've found that lavendar essential oil tends to put my mind at peace and relieve anxiety.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverred View Post
Lost me there for a second

Thanks for the replies. I have forgotten somethings about CBT and I have been getting less active with CBT these several months, after I have been getting more into society. But it is not necessarily because I'm doing better.

But it looks like i'm doing it correctly. I conjure up previous or faux situations that give me high anxiety. I ask myself what is the worst that can happen? Is it really that bad? And then of think of what is causing me to be anxious. Then counter belief. The hard part is making sure I have the right reason and a good counter belief. I repeat several times and then store that counter belief for when anxiety strikes.

I've never tried the exercise where you repeat phrases over and over again each day.

Is that all you say? This one I actually have trouble convincing me to stop thinking. My old phrase was "You have no idea what he/she is thinking." Did you create like a subconscious link that mind reading is bad first? After that counter, do you have to push the thought away or does the counter neutralize the need to think.
no thats not al i say but the sentence always starts of with '' o there i go mind reading again''

after that i follow with othr cbt techniques like decatastrophizing like ''so what if they think i weird whats so bad about that, its not the end of the world ''

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page