Trying To Save My Own Life. - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Trying To Save My Own Life.

Hey, I was just wondering on what people's experiences are with therapy. I have really bad social anxiety that developed from depression, and it's has gotten so bad that I'm scared because I have suicidal thoughts. I've been having them since I was about eight years old, but recently it's just out of control. Did anybody find therapy helpful, or did your SA get in the way? That's what I'm afraid of, my stupid SA getting in the way of me trying to find help to save my own life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 11:15 AM
SAS Member

Therapy can deff help, i'm going to see a therapist soon for cognitive therapy, the first time is always the scariest but you'll get used to it as they are kind and certainly understanding, they deal with many people like you so nothing to be afraid of.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I just feel like they don't actually care about my problems so it gives me this bad anxiety on whether or not I should share my thoughts.
Thanks for the input!: )

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 11:24 AM
SAS Member

SA keeps me away from doctors but sometimes I have no choice and force myself to go. It gets in the way of tons of things for me.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Yeah same here. I haven't been to the doctors in a long time and I really need to go because I need my medicine and I'm just to afraid to go. I hate my SA!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 12:33 PM
SAS Member

Yes, CBT helped for me, but the main thing was medication. If you are still depressed (and especially if you are having suicidal thoughts) it sounds like the meds you are on at the moment might not be working as well as they should.

Also, the key thing to getting the most out of therapy, I found, is not just showing up to the sessions, but putting in plenty of work/study by yourself between sessions. By work/study I mean going over the things you are doing in therapy, doing any exercises you are working on, reading some related books (there are some good CBT books available).

Also, don't be afraid to address with your therapist any other problems that might prevent you from getting the most out of therapy. Procrastination in particular, is very common for people with anxiety issues, as anxiety is a major part of/cause of procrastination.

Mindfulness Meditation is also worthwhile.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 12:42 PM
Irony In Ivory

I went to several therapists until I finally found one I loved. Its almost like going to go see a friend.
How I found this person to be my therapist was actually through trying to find a DBT program. Where its group therapy (dialectical behavioral therapy) and the group gives me people to talk to and a place I go every week. With the program I also get assigned a therapist.
I interviewed a couple programs, and this one was amazingly wonderful.
I have had tons of therapists since I was in first grade because my mom thought it would be healthy to start at a young age (she is a professor.. so.. ya know)
and this woman has by far been the best and she is more like a friend than anything else.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Oh this is wonderful advice, TicklemeRingo have you been on any medication? If so which was the best for you? Thanks for the help!

Ironyinivory, I'm glad to hear you found such a great therapy group to go to. That's awesome to hear that your therapist is like a friend to you! I think I am going to try and check out a few therapist soon. I think I'll end up starting with depression therapy, then I'll check out a few more.
Thanks for all the help!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 02:20 PM
SAS Member

Yeah I'm on Cymbalta, which is an SNRI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duloxetine).

As you may know, everybody responds differently to different meds/doses, as we are all unique. What works for one person may not work for someone else. By works I mean providing the most benefit with the least side-effects.

There is often a bit of a trial and error period in the beginning while you search for the medication that suits you the most. Stick with it, and don't be afraid to tell your doctor if something isn't working for you or is making you feel worse.

I tried two others before finding one that suited me. The other two were Mirtazapine and Lexapro, both of which just made me tired.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Okay! Thank you!: )

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page