Suddenly not sure... - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Question

Suddenly not sure...

(I don't know if this is suitable for this forum, but it's to do with therapy)

Okay, so I've been really depressed for the last several months and have been thinking about therapy. I was really anxious about confessing this to my parents, but I finally managed to tell my mum on Sunday. She said we could go to the doctor and get a referral. It was like this huge weight had been lifted off my chest and I cried with relief.

...Only now I feel like I was being overly dramatic.

I don't know whether it's because we're going to the doctor and I've always been afraid that they'd be like 'oh you're fine. Go home you stupid little girl' and then my parents would get really angry with me. Or maybe it's because I just feel better now I've talked about my feelings with my mum?
Neither way, I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do. I feel so awkward and out of place talking about my feelings, but I really don't want to go back to that depression. I want the pain to end. I'm so confused...what should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 12:00 PM
SAS Member

The doctor will make the right decision. Just tell him/her the truth.

It's normal to be scared, it will be alright.

Update this thread on how things went.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orvel View Post
The doctor will make the right decision. Just tell him/her the truth.

It's normal to be scared, it will be alright.

Update this thread on how things went.
Thanks, Orvel, you cheered me up. It's on Wednesday, so I guess I have to wait and see what happens.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 03:02 PM
SAS Member

I agree totally with Orvel - go to the doctor...tell him the truth about what's going on with you...and let him decide.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 03:56 PM
SAS Member

You should go. You're smart to talk to your mom and you are smart to go see a doctor.

Sometimes just by talking to a professional you will feel better.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Here's now it went:

Well, I went!
It started with my mum explaining the situation to the doctor (woman) because as soon as we went in, I found I couldn't talk. Brilliant start. But after that, the doctor asked me some questions about my anxiety and depression, with my mum chipping in every now and again with what she'd noticed. Of course, this made my job a little easier, but I couldn't help but wonder why the hell she didn't talk to ME about these things. See, my mum is sort of emotionless whenever I try to tell her stuff and that sometimes makes me feel like she doesn't care. I do love her and everything, but I wish she'd give me a little empathy or something.

And she did. When I mentioned suicide. Now I feel a little guilty about upsetting her. I don't even want to know how my dad will react. His mood is unpredictable at the best of times.

Anyway, the doctor sent the referral, and said that I'd have to go to some kind of Metal Health expert to get assessed on the right kind of therapy for me. Then it's all a matter of waiting. But she was very understanding I think it was right for me to go.

My only concerns now are whether I've destroyed my extremely sensitive parents, the assessment, and then the therapy itself.
Good times.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page