Social Anxiety Institute's CBT Series log - Page 4 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #61 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Week 12

Let me start by saying that I am feeling great. I had a wonderful weekend hanging out with my girlfriend’s family. I used to feel extremely anxious around them, but I felt almost no anxiety over the weekend. My thoughts are changing. I’m taking things slower. I know that if I think certain thoughts, I will be led nowhere—into anxiety and depression. My feelings, too, are starting to change. I am amazed not only that I’ve stuck with this program, but that I am noticing tangible differences, as well.

ACT AGAINST YOUR NEGATIVE FEELINGS

“Anyone who is depressed does not feel like getting up and becoming more active. But it IS the solution. It works. Your feelings and your thoughts improve with activity. It works because overcoming anxiety and depression are both paradoxes. If you are nervous and scared, the hardest thing to do is to get out there, go to work, be active, and keep up with your responsibilities. But even though this is hard, what is the solution to anxiety? … getting out there, doing what we have to do, and facing our responsibilities.”

“If you continue to act against your negative emotions you will continue to eat away at your social anxiety—and the more dents you can kick in the vicious cycle—the quicker your progress will occur.”

“If you’re tired or worn out—most of us say fatigued—much of the reason is social anxiety. The fatigue we feel is a fake fatigue. It is very stressful to go through life with social anxiety. Therefore, is it natural to feel fatigued even when we haven’t exerted ourselves physically in any way. But if we learn to act reasonably against the fatigue, you will start to feel better and get your second wind. If you’re feeling down and depressed, deliberately act against it by getting up, getting active, going out, contacting others, and/or being around other positive people.”

“If you act against your negative feelings, you will win—and your negative feelings will be forced to fade and disappear. They have no choice. You always hold the key to what happens in your life.”

SHOULD WE BE LIVING IN A HOSTILE WORLD?

“If we are afraid of looking foolish, ‘fitting in’, being judged and evaluated … If we are afraid of having a high amount of anxiety … If we don’t think we can hide our anxious feelings and this makes us more anxious … If we are so self-conscious we wear ourselves out with worry … If out anticipatory anxiety is so strong that we dread future situations ... It’s likely that we feel we’re living in a ‘hostile world’ where we just don’t fit in.”

“One way to move away from the ‘hostile world’ view is to start paying attention to our positive emotions through our own thinking mind. One of the best ways to do this is through any kind of relaxation or imaging technique.”

“Cognitively, we need to reinterpret the world as being a good, caring, positive place for us. If we always feel ‘separate from’ other people and the world around is, we will never get over out anxiety.”

THE GOOD, THE BETTER, AND THE BEAUTIFUL

“Because many of us have been through such a painful and traumatic past, it is very healthy for us to dent the vicious cycle of social anxiety by learning to see the world in a better, more healthy and rational light… Any slowing down activity … is helpful for us to do everyday. We need to stay still and quiet and dwell on the good, the better, and the beautiful. We need to fill our mind with healthy thoughts, with positive thoughts.”

“We have spent much of our live over on the dark, depressing side, even though we never chose to do so. We don’t want to spend the rest of our lives in this social anxiety trap. So, I choose to see things differently. I consciously choose to focus on the nice things, the beautiful things, and the good things.”

TWO COMPETING NEURAL PATHWAYS IN YOUR BRAIN

I’m not sure why this was covered, as it was already covered in Week 6—so I just skipped it. I will read over it a few times during the week, though.

THINGS TO DO THIS WEEK

· Continue reading the Handouts that aren’t automatic in my head and the one’s I find particularly difficult
· Read over the Handouts from this week, etc.

Please, call me Mike.

My SA and Depression blog: Unhappy Happiness

My CBT log: http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...es-log-102328/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I'm glad you're finding the series helpful! Keep at it!

Please, call me Mike.

post #63 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Week 13

“[Today’s handouts] are different in nature than the cognitive handouts, in that the main purpose of today’s handouts are to allow you to feel calm and peaceful.” All handouts are based on the “Peace Zone” …

STAY OUT OF THE TWILIGHT ZONE: MOVE INTO THE “PEACE ZONE”

• “When you are not feeling anxious, practice going into the “peace zone” … let out a long, deep breath, and focus on this place for a moment or two. If you can visualize, visualize a peaceful place or places. Loosen up your muscles and relax.”
  • “When you ARE feeling anxious, tell yourself you have decided to go into your peace zone. Use the same steps as above and visualize if you can. As you already know, if the anxiety is already there, moving into your peace zone will be more difficult and take a longer period of time than if it wasn’t there. But you can do it and FEEL it if you keep practicing at it and don’t give up.”

ACCEPTANCE IS AN ACTIVE EXPERIENCE (This is an emotional brain, “peace zone” handout)

“With this new handout more of the emphasis is on the feeling you get when you read it over in Slow Talk.”

“It is in acceptance that we make and continue to make progress… Acceptance brings you peace and power, while battling, struggling, and fighting only bring you anxiety, fear, and doubt.”

SEEING THE PRESENT (This is an emotional brain, “peace zone” handout)

“The message of this handout is that we need to focus on our present activities and learn to be happy and content in the moment. We do not want ANTs thoughts from the past nor do we want to worry about the future. We want to feel happy, satisfied, and content now, in the present moment. Thus, we can choose to stay in the present moment and enjoy it, or we can choose to go back into the past and rehash old ANT-like thinking.”

I especially like this: “I can CHOOSE to be myself, a new self, a better self, a self not tied down to any feeling or emotion from my past.” I think it’s okay to look at my past, as it’s how I create meaning in the present. But it’s not okay to get bogged down in past events and let my emotions from the past limit me in the present moment.

DETERMINED SLOW TALK

“We really, really, really slow down. We would never want to talk to another person in Determined Slow Talk.”

Read one handout a week in Determined Slow Talk

Steps:

• “First, we take slow talk and move it down even slower so that we can literally FEEL the determination, the strength, and the seriousness.”
  • “Then we use the DETERMINATION FACTOR to synergize these positive, quiet, peaceful, confident feelings of strength and power.”
  • “Third, we use the handout and/or statements you are working on and use “Determined Slow Talk” to sink them down to that emotional area of your brain where things become foundational, set in stone, automatic, and natural.”

“It is important that the statements, strategies, and beliefs become FEELINGS and these FEELINGS are rooted in your determination, your peace, your inner resources.”

“Anything I choose to read in Determined Slow Talk is going to be easily processed by my brain.”

Final two peace zone handouts:

AT THE CROSSROADS (This is an emotional brain, “peace zone” handout)

THE PARADOX OF THE RAIN

THINGS TO DO THIS WEEK

· Find one “Peace Zone” handout, which appeals to you, and read it everyday in Determined Slow Talk
· Keep reading over cognitive handouts that need to be reinforced (repetition!!)

FRIDAY TO WEDNESDAY

I practiced thirty minutes each day.

Please, call me Mike.

post #64 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 10:37 PM
SAS Member

I'm glad to see you're making progress, mike. Keep up the good work.
post #65 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxu View Post
I'm glad to see you're making progress, mike. Keep up the good work.
Thanks!

Please, call me Mike.

post #66 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 09:18 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhea0 View Post
Thanks!
Mike,

When you're done with the tapes, here's two good sites you should take a look at to continue your self-improvement program:

http://www.guide-to-self-help-techniques.com/index.html
http://www.personal-development-coach.net/
post #67 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Hey. I just wanted those who are following this to know that I have started a full time job, and I'm doing and internship and still going to school--so I'm really busy. I've decided to take a break from CBT for a while. I'll probably start back up again in a few months.

Please, call me Mike.

post #68 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 04:37 PM
SAS Member

Thanks for your posts - I just started the series (on tape 3) and it's really helpful to read about your experience. It makes me feel a little bit like someone is going through this with me. I identify with your experiences so far

Sounds like you're busy, but don't forget about the CBT completely ... you worked so hard to get to this point! GREAT JOB!!!
post #69 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 01:51 AM
SAS Member

Hey Mike are you on the behavioral stuff yet? I was trying to put together a Skype or video chat group together where we could go over these videos maybe once a week or so.

It would also be great for support, exposure, and practice.

I'm on week 11

if anyone's interested in CBT GROUP THERAPY Online on skype or video chat then PM me

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...p-therapy-357/
Online Cognitive Behavioral Group Therapy (CBT) - Join if interested in Overcoming SA
post #70 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 08:19 AM
SAS Member

Thanks so much!

Thanks for posting out your progress. I did it 2 years ago and it has helped me a lot. But I would like to remind you all who is doing it at present is not to give up when tough gets going, its the persistence and practice needed the most even after you have completed the audio series. From my own experience, I can tell you that. I did upto 12 sessions and as I got better I did not practice on the handouts. So I lost track of it and felt anxious again. Now I am adamant to continue practising it no matter what may come and would encourage all friends out there the same. Good day !
post #71 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:51 AM
SAS Member

Hello- don't know if OP around but this has been good reading, thanks
post #72 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:09 AM
My guitar gently weeps

Yes this program is my main source of CBT and it's amazing. A few others on the board are doing it as well. Love Dr. Richards

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page