Social Anxiety Institute's CBT Series log - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverred View Post
Nice job man, keep it up.

Curious, do you regularly speak fast, or just during social anxiety?

I've been constantly telling myself to start doing CBT sessions, or at least what I think a session would be like, but I don't do it for a long enough period of time. Did you just buckle down and it became a habit? And what has been the most helpful thing you learned so far?
Just when I'm anxious. Yes, I've practiced so much that it's just become a habit. I feel incomplete when I don't work on my CBT. The most helpful thing I've learned ... hmmm ... that anxiety is not who I am. There is nothing wrong with me--there's only something wrong with how I view and interpret the world.

Please, call me Mike.

My SA and Depression blog: Unhappy Happiness

My CBT log: http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...es-log-102328/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDamMan View Post
Good stuff. I might have to get it for myself.
Thanks, buddy! It's been good.

Please, call me Mike.

post #43 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 07:27 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhea0 View Post
Thanks! Yeah, I'm just taking it one day at a time. I can feel it working a bit, but it's very subtle.

When you said you did the program, do you mean you worked through the series on your own, or did you actual go to the institute and do it there? Because I know they run a formal program there. It's something I've been thinking more about. But it is expensive. I guess I'll see where I'm at after i finish the series on my own.

Thanks again!
I worked on it all by myself. I didn't have many or any people who I could do it with, so I had no choice but to do it alone. It can actually be advantage if you can isolate yourself from negativity. When I was doing it, I was living by myself in an apartment. No social life either except a job. That allowed me to keep focused on my self-improvement without distractions. I surrounded myself with positive things like motivational music, movies, and other things. So you can see it was a lot like brainwashing.

I don't think you need the program. The only benefit I can see you could get out of it is to have other people to do things like role-playing with. But imo I don't think that is worth it if you have some friends to do it with you.

post #44 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxu View Post
I worked on it all by myself. I didn't have many or any people who I could do it with, so I had no choice but to do it alone. It can actually be advantage if you can isolate yourself from negativity. When I was doing it, I was living by myself in an apartment. No social life either except a job. That allowed me to keep focused on my self-improvement without distractions. I surrounded myself with positive things like motivational music, movies, and other things. So you can see it was a lot like brainwashing.

I don't think you need the program. The only benefit I can see you could get out of it is to have other people to do things like role-playing with. But imo I don't think that is worth it if you have some friends to do it with you.
Interesting. I find it fairly easy to keep out the negatives, externally. But, internally is a different beast altogether. I guess that's why I'm doing CBT, though. I'm glad you found the isolation helpful. I'm just worried about the behavioral aspect of the therapy. I'd like to find some sort of group that's doing the same things as me, at the exact same stage. But I know that's impossible to find. I'll just have to see where I'm at when I get there.

Please, call me Mike.

post #45 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Week 9

“All the behavioral therapy you’re doing, will not be effective unless you start telling yourself the truth [via cognitive techniques}. … “When the cognitive and the behavioral mesh together … everything works better and works faster.”

“Your brain hears everything you say and tries to take it literally. So be careful. Don’t say you hate something. Don’t say can’t do something. Don’t say something is too scary for you to try. Every time you make a negative statement like that, you are only reinforcing your anxiety and helplessness to your brain. Instead, replace those ANTs lies.”

This Week

THE DESERVING STATEMENTS

“Before you can comfortably express your needs, you must believeyou have a legitimate right to have those needs.

Examples:
·“I have the right to decide how to lead my life. This includes pursuing my own goals and dreams and establishing my own priorities.”
·“I have the right not to have to justify or explain my actions or feelings to others.”
·“I have the right to tell others how I wish to be treated.”
·“I have the right to take the time I need to formulate my ideas before expressing them.”
·“I have the right to like myself even though I’m not perfect.”
·“I have the right to change, enhance, or develop my life in any way I determine.”

“When you allow the needs, opinions, and judgments of others to become more important than your own, you are likely to feel hurt, anxious, and even angry.”

“You do not need anyone else’s approval concerning your decisions and your life. You are fine just the way you are right now. If someone doesn’t approve of you or doesn’t like you—tough luck. That is their loss and is their problem. You have decided to live a positive, happy life, and if other people can’t approve of you for that, too bad, tough luck, who cares!”

BEARS ATTACK & MAUL, BEES SWARM & STING (a follow-up to “the fighting paradox”)

“What do you do when anxiety tries to attack and hurt you? PLAY DEAD. Do note respond. Do not panic. SLOW DOWN. Take your time. Use your rational statements: Say to yourself: “If I stay calm, then anxiety will not be able to sting me …” … DO NOT RESPIND TO NEGATIVITY BY REACTING NEGATIVELY. … Take it easy, slow talk, stay calm … then [anxiety] will continue to have less and less power over you … and you will realize that YOU are the one who is in charge.”

FEELINGS, FEELINGS, AND MORE FEELINGS

“Calm, peaceful, acceptance has great power. The more you can accept and move on with your life, the more this anxiety feeling is no big deal. If you don’t pay attention to it, it doesn’t have any power over you.

“So, you see, we are being reminded here of that paradox again—the more we can accept, move on, act, find distractions, and turn the tables on the ANTs, the less anxiety will be able to bother us.

“In fact, the more your strategies and statements become automatic thinking and behavior, the less and less anxiety can rear its ugly head. You are in the process of calmly and surely defeating anxiety for good.”

WORRY … (leads to more worry and more worry and more worry and …)

“Many times we worry about upcoming events that we think will cause us anxiety. This of course is anticipatory anxiety. At other times, we worry about what we said, or what we didn’t say, or how we acted, and we convince ourselves that we were foolish, or dumb, or wish we could have remembered to say something different.”

“Notice that worry is always a big ANT. There is never any solution in worrying. It always leads our thoughts and emotions in the wrong direction. So at this time, we want to reinforce the fact that worry is always wrong. Worry is always a liar. Worry can never provide us a solution or help us overcome social anxiety. In fact, it does just the opposite—it reinforces the negative thoughts and the anxious feelings. So we want to catch worry and stop it before it becomes a raging fire.”

“Worry keeps me living in the troubling past or the fearful future.”

“Worry never does me any good. It is only there to hurt me and rob me of my peace. Therefore, I deliberately choose to go and do something else …”

What to do this week:

·Read all the handouts (especially THE DESERVING STATEMENTS) this week in Slow Talk, plus the ANTS HANDOUT and THE FIGHTING PARADOX and THE TURNING THE TABLES ON THE ANTS handouts

SATURDAY through TUESDAY

After taking time off for Thanksgiving, I practiced thirty minutes each day.

Please, call me Mike.

post #46 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 08:24 AM
SAS Member

regarding slow talk

Hi Mike, thanks for replying and introducing yourself on my first post as a newcomer. I was just scanning what you wrote about the slow talking technique. Your description of talking fast in social situations so you can be done with being focused on describes me exactly! I NEVER heard anybody mention that problem before and it's only something I've recently become aware of doing, but have done forever. And I usually end up feeling like I really didn't get across what I wanted to say, the way I would have liked, and feel misunderstood. Frustrated. But another reason I find I will talk fast is because I anticipate being interrupted if I try to take my time, because that is what so often happens, (esp. among my in-laws) ... it seems like people are often really only waiting for their chance to jump in and thinking about what they want to say next anyway and I feel pressure/anxiety as a result of that too.

Do you find yourself being interrupted more if you practice slowing down your talking?

I see I'm going to be busy doing a lot of reading on the forums, and I appreciate your writings too. I'm really excited to have discovered all this support online. Thanks,
Gina
post #47 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginamo View Post
Hi Mike, thanks for replying and introducing yourself on my first post as a newcomer. I was just scanning what you wrote about the slow talking technique. Your description of talking fast in social situations so you can be done with being focused on describes me exactly! I NEVER heard anybody mention that problem before and it's only something I've recently become aware of doing, but have done forever. And I usually end up feeling like I really didn't get across what I wanted to say, the way I would have liked, and feel misunderstood. Frustrated. But another reason I find I will talk fast is because I anticipate being interrupted if I try to take my time, because that is what so often happens, (esp. among my in-laws) ... it seems like people are often really only waiting for their chance to jump in and thinking about what they want to say next anyway and I feel pressure/anxiety as a result of that too.

Do you find yourself being interrupted more if you practice slowing down your talking?

I see I'm going to be busy doing a lot of reading on the forums, and I appreciate your writings too. I'm really excited to have discovered all this support online. Thanks,
Gina
Honestly, I haven't practiced Slow Talk enough with people I know who usually don't listen and interrupt. I think with those kinds of people, they'll interrupt no matter how fast you talk. I'd rather not talk to people like that anyway .. my dad is like that--he never listens. He either changes the subject to something else or responds inappropriately. It's frustrating.

Overall, I'm finding the technique very helpful with managing my anxiety.

Please, call me Mike.

post #48 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 06:27 AM
SAS Member

Hi Mike how are things going?

Laugh Loud!
post #49 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becomingfree View Post
Hi Mike how are things going?
I'm okay. I've been a bit depressed the past few days, and I haven't been working on CBT. I'm going to try to get back on track today. I'm also very busy with the end-of-the-semester madness. That will be over on Thursday, so I'll have plenty of time to work on CBT after that.

How are things with you?

Please, call me Mike.

post #50 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Week 10

Week 9 Review

“I do deserve to be happy, living in the present moment, and not concerned with others’ ideas and opinions about me. Why? Because I am fine just the way I am. If other people don’t like you for a justifiable reason, there must be something wrong with them.”

“Last week we spent a little time discussing our feelings and why thinking about them continues to trap us and keep us stuck in the viscous cycle of social anxiety. Feelings are liars many times two, and trying to figure out every last little detail about these feelings is an exercise in futility—it only makes things worse.”

“We need to stop the thinking and start the doing.”

Week 10

HERES HOW WE HANDLE THOSE BULLYING LIARS

“The more I can replace the bullying thought with the truth, the healthier and less anxious I become.”

“When I think about [making introductions] and remember to use my slow talk, they are not as bad now as I made them out to be in the past.”

I need to try to think about my ANTs thoughts, and find rational and realistic alternatives.

LOOSEN UP AND LET STRESS GO

Relaxation technique used in social situations (but I need to start at home, not when I’m flooded with anxiety in social situations) …

“When you are feeling anxious because of anticipatory anxiety, worry, or ANTs feelings and thoughts of any kind, just remember these two words—loosen up. If you’re in public or in a social situation and you’re feeling anxious just remember these two words—loosen up. What happens when we’re anxious is that our body and muscles tighten up automatically, many times without us even realizing it. Technically, our physical body is preparing to meet a threatening challenge that really isn’t there. But since we think it is, our muscles become tight and rigid.”

“By … letting go the tension in your muscles, by loosening up, you are calming yourself down and making the situation a little easier for yourself.”

“The truth is that there is nothing to fear. We can handle situations well. And we do a much better job at coping than we ever once imagined.”

SELF-STATEMENTS: MOVING IN A POSITIVE DIRECTION

“I am learning to accept all the different parts of my personality. I don’t have to prove myself to anyone. I don’t have to prove myself to myself.”

“When people really get to know me, most of them will like me. There are people who enjoy being around me. They like to hear what I have to say and know what I think. Even if this hasn’t happened yet, I am moving in this direction. Others may recognize that I have a lot to offer, even when I don’t recognize this myself. I am probably making more progress than I think. Even though making positive steps can seem slow at the present time, something is going on all the time that’s helping me to make progress.”

BRAINWASHING

“One of the reasons we have social anxiety is that other people, and then our own thought patterns, have literally brainwashed us into believing irrational or untrue things about ourselves. But since we can be brainwashed into having ANTs thoughts and feelings about ourselves, we can also wash our brain and become who we really are—free of anxiety, fear, doubt, and worry.”

“So when the old brainwashing thoughts come, challenge them.”

POISONOUS THOUGHTS

“Thoughts have no power in and of themselves; you imbue them with your own power and your own feelings. Thoughts always require an action on your part. … These original, harmless, powerless thoughts … can cause great havoc in your life if you start rehearsing them and believing them, because then you start to act on them. If you believe in and act on a lie, the lie will become the truth. You have created it with your thoughts and chosen to believe it with your actions.”

“Thoughts are very powerful because they lead to beliefs, and beliefs lead to actions. Which thoughts will you choose to believe?”

Things to do this week

·Continue reading ANTs handout, and all of the Turning the Tables of the ANTs Handouts, and the Deserving Statements handout everyday in slow talk
·Read over each handout from this week too
·Try to loosen up and relax when facing anxiety

Thursday to Sunday

Worked on CBT for 30 minutes each day

Monday to Thursday

Very depressed. Couldn’t work on it. I felt hopeless. I’ve been doing better lately, though. Thanksgiving went well, and I gave two presentations for my classes last week—and they went well, too. It’s the anticipatory anxiety that’s really hurting me—it’s all in my head.

HALFWAY DONE!!

Please, call me Mike.

post #51 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:46 PM
SAS Member

Hi Mike! Amazing job getting halfway through the CD's!! Reading this is definitely reminding me of my journey so far with CBT. Glad to read about someone else's experience in detail

- Nicole

Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it. - Bill Cosby
post #52 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 11:20 AM
learning...

I just wanted to say thank you for doing this log, Mike.
I've just restarted this series myself and am on week 2, so I'll be checking through this thread as I progress through the weeks, which will be a great help to me.

"How strange it is to be anything at all"
post #53 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
I just wanted to say thank you for doing this log, Mike.
I've just restarted this series myself and am on week 2, so I'll be checking through this thread as I progress through the weeks, which will be a great help to me.
Thanks! I'm glad I'm inspiring people! You should keep your own log--it helps to keep you accountable. Keep me posted, at the very least.

Please, call me Mike.

post #54 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorNic View Post
Hi Mike! Amazing job getting halfway through the CD's!! Reading this is definitely reminding me of my journey so far with CBT. Glad to read about someone else's experience in detail

- Nicole
Thanks! Any suggestions for the behavioral aspects? I'm going to school online. I have few friends. I don't have a job (but I am actively looking). So, I don't get much social contact. I do feel a lot more confident at stores and just walking around. I can give people eye contact, and say hello and stuff--but those have never really been a problem.

Please, call me Mike.

post #55 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Week 11

“It is vitally important … that Slow Talk has become something you can use whenever you need to use it.” I can somewhat use it. I’m not perfect at it, but when I do remember to use it, it works well—there’s a noticeable decrease in my anxiety.

“There is no shortcut to overcoming social anxiety, or a reader’s digest approach to getting better. We need to cover everything in this series, allow some time for it to sink down deeply into our minds, and be patient and persistent about reaching our goal.”

FOCUSING (And how it keeps us away from anxiety)

“When anxiety comes around in any form—and this includes anticipatory anxiety—we want our attention and our FOCUS, to be on external things, not on out internal feelings. Our internal feelings are liars when they involve anxiety.”

“Your feelings will lie to you because they are accustomed to years and years of negative conditioning and expectations. But gradually, as you focus away from them and don’t give them any of your power, they will have no choice but to change.”

“We must learn not to live by our feelings right now. Our feelings can be big ANTs traps.”

I am very introspective and in tune with my feelings and emotions and tend to dwell on them too much. A lot of this has to do with the specific type of talk therapy I’m engaged in. I’ve been questioning lately whether it is serving me—i.e., helping me with my social anxiety. I mean, I am learning a lot about myself, which is good, but I want to focus specifically on the anxiety at this point. I may talk to my therapist about this.

“Feelings change as we stop focusing on them.”

Also, I’ve always thought I need to not ignore my negative feelings. I need to give them attention, but not let them drown me. This approach sounds like just avoiding my feelings, instead of acknowledging them.

“I CAN’T DO IT” THINKING (or another attack on healing by the lying ANTs)

“Regardless of how you feel, you don’t ever want to use the ‘I can’t do this’ explanation. Remember that your brain hears and responds to every word that you feed it. Therefore, if you say—

‘I can’t make phone calls, I get too flustered.’
‘I can’t go to the party. There are too many people. I won’t know what to say.’

—Your brain picks these statements up, and sure enough, you CAN’T do these things because you’ve programmed it into your mind over and over again.”

“If your anxiety is on the rise, it’s because you’re thinking about it, you’re ruminating on it, you are expecting something bad to happen, you’re thinking it’s bound to happen, and you begin to focus on it. By focusing internally on your doubts and fears, you’ve opened the door, and anxiety can squeeze in and create its horrible feelings.”

POWER STATEMENTS (Rational Questions to Ask Yourself Each Day)

“Series of statements presented in the form of questions so that your mind will start to question why it is responding in the manner it currently responds. In other words, these … statements are designed to allow your mind to see things rationally.”

Example: “Why SHOULD other peoples’ approval be so important to us? Why should I stew, sweat, and drive myself crazy over what other people think and say? Why should I beat up on myself and dwell in my own old ANTs quicksand for hours?”

THE PROFOUND CONCEPT

“When you act, or do something, your feelings and emotions will follow along behind. If you wait around to feel good or to feel un-anxious, you will be waiting around forever. Feelings never come before actions. Taking action always begins to create feelings and emotions. … Small steps have to be made—that is, acted upon—before your feelings will change.”

I won’t feel better until I act first! But I need to start small by doing something small each day.

“Anxiety is reduced only AFTER you act.”

EXPECTATIONS ARE KILLERS: STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS (Note: The Topic here is negative, irrational expectations)

“We do not want to ‘set ourselves up’ ahead of time for feelings of failure and defeat. We do not want to try to ‘force’ or ‘pressure’ anything into happening on a particular rigid time schedule.”

“The more and more (and desperately and desperately) you seek something and ‘expect’ something, the more and more elusive it becomes.”

“DON’T LET YOUR (IRRATIONAL) EXPECTATIONS GET THE BETTER OF YOU.”

VICIOUS CIRCLES AND HOW TO SHRINK THEM

“Anticipatory anxiety CAUSES the worst to happen. Fear and anxiety push us in, hold us back, and inhibit is. The vicious circle grows as we pay attention to it, focus on it, and dwell on its parts. When we pay attention to it, when we dwell on it, when we focus on it, the vicious circle only becomes stronger, more powerful, and dominate in our lives.”

“Negative emotions fuel the vicious circle. Anger, frustration, irritation, beating yourself up, and being critical of yourself and others, all strengthen this vicious circle. We must move away from [it]. The vicious circle can only be diminished by your calm side, your peaceful side, your ‘positive emotions’ side. We can and will grow this side.”

Saturday to Thursday

I read over the handouts thirty minutes each day. I’m feeling good about myself and the therapy in general.

Finally, I reminded myself all week that I am making more progress than I think. I am getting better.

Please, call me Mike.

post #56 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 06:59 PM
Hopeful

Hi Mike, very interesting, I also have the same program and I do think it helps to be more aware of yourself but (in my case) it doesn't do much for the emotional response. Also, it seems that we always have to do extra work to "fit in" which at least in my case it causes depression, because I can play the part just fine (acting) but I just don't feel right, like I'm not myself. We have to be aware and put a lot of energy in observing our behavior, while the rest don't even think about it. I just feel that other people have very simple minds and they care of more futile things than existence/philosophy...and that's the luck of the oblivious person.
post #57 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
Hi Mike, very interesting, I also have the same program and I do think it helps to be more aware of yourself but (in my case) it doesn't do much for the emotional response. Also, it seems that we always have to do extra work to "fit in" which at least in my case it causes depression, because I can play the part just fine (acting) but I just don't feel right, like I'm not myself. We have to be aware and put a lot of energy in observing our behavior, while the rest don't even think about it. I just feel that other people have very simple minds and they care of more futile things than existence/philosophy...and that's the luck of the oblivious person.
I think there is a lot of truth to what you're saying. We--people with social anxiety--are different than most people. We think differently, we view the world differently. We are much more aware of things. That said, I don't think the point of CBT is to change our total outlook--we do need to change a few things. As we change those thoughts, we will begin to view things differently, and this should trickle down into deeper parts of our brain, which should alter our deep-seeded beliefs. Eventually, we will have a different emotional response. I don't think the point of CBT is to change us into different people, with "simple minds." We can still be who we are--but we will see reality a little more clear.

Please, call me Mike.

post #58 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 07:37 AM
SAS Member

Smile

I was thinking that this weekend when I was listening to a CD. I do look at things differently then most people with out social anxiety but with just a few things to change how I look at things has helped. I am starting to see a difference.

Laugh Loud!
post #59 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becomingfree View Post
I was thinking that this weekend when I was listening to a CD. I do look at things differently then most people with out social anxiety but with just a few things to change how I look at things has helped. I am starting to see a difference.
That's great! It's amazing how a little mindfulness and understanding can change how you feel. Once you realize how powerful your thoughts are, and how easy they can lead you astray, it opens the door for change. I'm glad you're noticing a difference--I am as well!

Please, call me Mike.

post #60 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

FYI: I took about two weeks off while I was home with my family in Kansas City for the holidays ..

Please, call me Mike.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page