Psychedelic Medicine, Therapy and Science - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
prince charming

Hi folks. I haven't been able to follow this discussion and I'm not sure if that'll change shortly. I have been looking into psychedelics quite a bit though. The Compass Pathways trial with psilocybin remains pending. My psychiatrist couldn't find it in the database with upcoming studies, so who knows when it'll take place. I don't want to wait for this and looked for the most sane alternative underground-ish. I don't feel comfortable organizing something on my own with a tripsitter I don't know or a friend. It may seem an outrageous statement here, but I feel most comfortble doing this in a group. Particularly since I consider myself a psychedelic virgin, despite an iboga experience which I talked about in the thread before this one. So I arrived at ayahuasca, which is a bit of a hype here. I've signed up for two ceremonies on June 29th and 30th. Needless to say I'm crapping my pants.

I've come across a lot of interesting vids and other data I would like to share with you. But dosage is important, so I'll stop by and dump links here every now and then :-) Here's one recent vid I enjoyed a lot (as well as the book itself). Joe Rogan interviews Michael Pollan:

((( connect or perish )))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
prince charming

For harm reduction purposes, Bill Richards - Flight Instructions

post #43 of 116 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
prince charming

Psychedelics and the gathering of big data to further scientific understanding

Are you in the UK, depressed, and would you be interested in treatment with psilocybin? You can enquire about eligibility at Imperial College London. Scroll down to "Upcoming trial - Psilocybin for major depression: A randomised control trial" at this page.

Are you planning to participate in a ceremony involving the use of a plant medicine (for example within an Ayahuasca retreat) or another form of guided psychedelic experience? If so, you can help further scientific understanding in this field by partaking in a unique, global, prospective study here.

Are you planning to take a psychedelic drug, such as a classical psychedelic (e.g. LSD, psilocybin, DMT, ayahuasca) or related drugs (e.g. Iboga/Ibogaine, salvia or Ketamine) in the near future? If so, you can help further scientific understanding in this field by partaking in a unique, global, prospective study here.

Are you planning to microdose a psychedelic substance (e.g. LSD/ 1P-LSD, psilocybin, ayahuasca/DMT, etc.) in the near future? If so, you can help further scientific understanding in this field by partaking in a unique, global, prospective study here.

Here's a vid with Robin Carhart-Harris, head of the psychedelic research group at Imperial College London, in which he talks about the above mentioned survey's. Here's the website of the charity Robin mentions in the last part of the vid and below you'll find a vid which shines some light on what drives him. It's about the situation in the UK, but, as you know, this issue isn't confined to that particular part of the globe.

post #44 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
prince charming

If you are interested to volunteer in a clinical trial: https://clinicaltrials.gov

post #45 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 03:44 PM
Hand Solo

Language: Wookiee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan Jie View Post
If you are interested to volunteer in a clinical trial: https://clinicaltrials.gov
Interesting, but I don't think a doctors office is where I'd prefer to have a trip. I have to be able to walk around outdoors and commune with environment in order to enjoy it.
post #46 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 07:22 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Amazed
To anyone reading this thread who is interested in this subject, i can most definately vouch for the use of psychedelics as medicine/therapy. Psychedelics allow the mind to reach a higher state of consciousness, like a hyper-awareness. This state of mind allows for very deep/overarching and unbiased introspection/extrospection of everything, caused by the drastic changes of normally unchangeable mental processes which are induced by psychedelics. These new perspectives, perceptions, and thoughts/feelings, allow for very deep, thorough, "infinite" thinking on a very cosmic, fundamental level, and they are usually accompanied with a pure and complete acceptance-of and peace- with everything that is.
post #47 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 10:36 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
LSD and magic mushrooms could heal damaged brain cells in people suffering from depression

MMM.....thinking about taking a trip to the park now.

Beneficiary of 52 infractions and 5 warnings.
post #48 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 08:46 PM
SAS Member

Language: English, C, C#, BASIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan Jie View Post
Hi folks. I haven't been able to follow this discussion and I'm not sure if that'll change shortly. I have been looking into psychedelics quite a bit though. The Compass Pathways trial with psilocybin remains pending. My psychiatrist couldn't find it in the database with upcoming studies, so who knows when it'll take place. I don't want to wait for this and looked for the most sane alternative underground-ish. I don't feel comfortable organizing something on my own with a tripsitter I don't know or a friend. It may seem an outrageous statement here, but I feel most comfortble doing this in a group. Particularly since I consider myself a psychedelic virgin, despite an iboga experience which I talked about in the thread before this one. So I arrived at ayahuasca, which is a bit of a hype here. I've signed up for two ceremonies on June 29th and 30th. Needless to say I'm crapping my pants.

I've come across a lot of interesting vids and other data I would like to share with you. But dosage is important, so I'll stop by and dump links here every now and then :-) Here's one recent vid I enjoyed a lot (as well as the book itself). Joe Rogan interviews Michael Pollan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz4CrWE_P0g
Psychedelics are amazing and they should not be stigmatized. It's funny how all of the basics promote weed which is basically just a healthier form of alcohol imo. It will not benefit you.
On the other hand, psychedelics are not something I would even consider a drug. It is more like a sacrament.

They are the red pill. I've had a lot of benefit from taking them. It allows you to view yourself from a completely objective state of mind. I especially love mushrooms because when you take them, you can almost feel another consciousness there to help you. It's like it's trying to tell you something. It's a very good way to have a conversation with your true self. It will always offer advice and be helpful. Just don't get caught up in the loving aspect of it. Pay attention to what your thinking and discard the euphoria. The euphoria is almost like a side effect. The basics might enjoy it, but that's not what you're there for.
post #49 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 10:13 PM
RMS
SAS Member

If you're like me and open to psychedelics, but don't react well with them, and want to get in touch with your deeper/truer self, focus on your dreams. Dreaming is a psychedelic trip every night, deep diving into the deepest recesses of your consciousness freely.

The more I focus on my dreams, the more I start realizing what I need to be focusing on in waking life. Its like your whole brain is sending you a message in a bottle every single night, and you just gotta read it. Takes a lot of effort to decode, and most of the time you'll never know for sure but the effort you spend trying to analyze your dreams will help you.
post #50 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
prince charming

@Synaps3
Great to hear you have benefitted from psychedelics so much! I'd like to hear the details if you don't mind sharing them. My experiences are very different from yours, it seems. They were utterly brutal. There wasn't exactly much to enjoy about them. It's rather a state of dysphoria than euphoria they brought about. There is literally zero percent of me which would take this for recreational reasons, which don't appeal to me anyway. My approach to this is similar to yours. These are tools. Tools which promote spiritual bypassing in people who are sensitive to it and opportunities for personal growth in others. Some people claim to have benefitted from weed a lot too. I wouldn't discard it's therapeutic potential too quickly (neither does MAPS). I'm not happy with it's addictive character though. Some people should definitely stay away from it, just as psychedelics aren't for everyone either.

My objective was to take my ego/default mode network (DMN) offline in order to enable the rest of my brain regions to communicate freely and to physically connect to one another. In psychological terms, to integrate trauma and to initiate experiencing daily life a little differently. It makes sense I would feel so vulnerable, desperate and needy as I did if this is what happened, but there is no way for me to objectify this. From a neurological perspective, the subjective experience is of secondary importance. But our reality is subjective and that's the realm in which I found important insights and leads on how to proceed. I think I have experienced who I am without an operational DMN, the conditioning that shaped how I go about my daily life. That must be about as objective a perspective as you can get on yourself. This loving or open heart part has been an important part of the experience for me, the way into renewed connection with my family amongst others. I think there's a lot of value in and a lot to gain from it. It can coexist with a sober outlook on the world. We do seem to share the same allergy, but I want to be careful not to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

post #51 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 08:05 AM
Hand Solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synaps3 View Post
Psychedelics are amazing and they should not be stigmatized. It's funny how all of the basics promote weed which is basically just a healthier form of alcohol imo. It will not benefit you.
On the other hand, psychedelics are not something I would even consider a drug. It is more like a sacrament.

They are the red pill. I've had a lot of benefit from taking them. It allows you to view yourself from a completely objective state of mind. I especially love mushrooms because when you take them, you can almost feel another consciousness there to help you. It's like it's trying to tell you something. It's a very good way to have a conversation with your true self. It will always offer advice and be helpful. Just don't get caught up in the loving aspect of it. Pay attention to what your thinking and discard the euphoria. The euphoria is almost like a side effect. The basics might enjoy it, but that's not what you're there for.
I like your post, but I do have to point out that cannabis actually is a psychedelic/hallucinogen. You probably have to use more of a sativa strain in large doses to experience it, and it may not be pleasant, but it will have a few similarities with magic mushrooms.
post #52 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 08:09 AM
Hand Solo

BTW, I always take a Xanax before doing any big trip, just to prevent the dysphoria and promote euphoria. If I don't have Xanax, alcohol does the trick.
post #53 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
prince charming

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolutionX View Post
Interesting, but I don't think a doctors office is where I'd prefer to have a trip. I have to be able to walk around outdoors and commune with environment in order to enjoy it.
That's understandable. Most researchers I've come across are the first to acknowledge a hospital room is a sub-ideal setting to trip and put in some effort to dress it up. It makes me wonder how helpful that environment is for human beings in the first place. It's well established the presence of plants does wonders for our well-being. Imagine tripping in a brain scanner... Nevertheless, I'd grab the opportunity with both hands. Mostly for selfish reasons and a bit for science. Science is the only way to shine an honest light on dubious drug laws, which can possibly result in the availability of amazing tools for an enormous amount of people in despair. A bit of voluntary discomfort for some is a fair price to pay for that if you ask me. Do you have psychedelic experiences both indoors and outdoors, with and without guidance/companions?

That Xanax is something I must look into... Thanks for sharing!

post #54 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 08:32 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
I like your post, but I do have to point out that cannabis actually is a psychedelic/hallucinogen. You probably have to use more of a sativa strain in large doses to experience it, and it may not be pleasant, but it will have a few similarities with magic mushrooms.
Not a fan of weed. It can feel good in the short term, but it's not a healthy choice (mentally). Shrooms or other psychedelics make you face your true self, but weed can lead you astray. That's why I compare it to alcohol. It can be fun, but it won't benefit you.

I really wish psychedelics were legalized instead of pot. It's funny because the government only wants to legalize things that make you complacent.
post #55 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 08:45 PM
Hand Solo

Quote:
Not a fan of weed. It can feel good in the short term, but it's not a healthy choice (mentally). Shrooms or other psychedelics make you face your true self, but weed can lead you astray. That's why I compare it to alcohol. It can be fun, but it won't benefit you.

I really wish psychedelics were legalized instead of pot. It's funny because the government only wants to legalize things that make you complacent.
It might make you feel bad when you have a bad trip, but it's not bad for your mental health in any other way, and as soon as you come down it goes away. It's also very healthy in many other ways, even as a super antioxidant.

Anyway, it helps more people than it harms, and honestly any harm is literally in their heads and only temporary. You don't have to legalize either or. I wish we would just legalize all drugs for personal consumption.
post #56 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 09:01 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
It might make you feel bad when you have a bad trip, but it's not bad for your mental health in any other way, and as soon as you come down it goes away. It's also very healthy in many other ways, even as a super antioxidant.

Anyway, it helps more people than it harms, and honestly any harm is literally in their heads and only temporary. You don't have to legalize either or. I wish we would just legalize all drugs for personal consumption.
I can see weed as a great solution for people that have certain health problems, but I don't think it's good for mental health. I remember back in my high school days when I was smoking weed and it did not help me in the least bit. If anything, it made me more introverted and less likely to want to socialize with people. It also gave me visual snow in the dark. Now whenever I go into a dark room, I have this static that fills my vision. It looks like a low quality video camera. I've heard of others who have had this problem.

The point is, weed is not the end all and be all medication that is right for everyone. It has become way too overrated. I'm sure it's helpful for some though.

I do agree with you on the legalization aspect. I think all drugs should be legalized. I'm a libertarian, so I believe anyone should be able to put whatever they want in their bodies. The ones that make stupid choices will ruin their lives and the people that make the right decisions will benefit. There's so much less drain on the people paying taxes to support imprisoning people with drugs.
post #57 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 09:35 PM
Hand Solo

Quote:
I can see weed as a great solution for people that have certain health problems, but I don't think it's good for mental health. I remember back in my high school days when I was smoking weed and it did not help me in the least bit. If anything, it made me more introverted and less likely to want to socialize with people. It also gave me visual snow in the dark. Now whenever I go into a dark room, I have this static that fills my vision. It looks like a low quality video camera. I've heard of others who have had this problem.

The point is, weed is not the end all and be all medication that is right for everyone. It has become way too overrated. I'm sure it's helpful for some though.

I do agree with you on the legalization aspect. I think all drugs should be legalized. I'm a libertarian, so I believe anyone should be able to put whatever they want in their bodies. The ones that make stupid choices will ruin their lives and the people that make the right decisions will benefit. There's so much less drain on the people paying taxes to support imprisoning people with drugs.
I really don't feel like replying to this, so I will just congratulate you for thinking whatever you want to think, no matter how wrong it is.
post #58 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 09:49 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
I really don't feel like replying to this, so I will just congratulate you for thinking whatever you want to think, no matter how wrong it is.
If it's what works for you then great. I think weed is a very personal drug. A lot of people get effected by it differently. It's the most dynamic thing I've ever tried. Every experience is different. Most other drugs have a similar experience each time, but not weed.

I guess I just have to say before I'm done: Remember that your mental faculties are more important that your emotional ones. If it's doing good for you mentally, then that's great, but you need to analyze the difference between pleasure and progress.
post #59 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 09:54 PM
Hand Solo

Quote:
If it's what works for you then great. I think weed is a very personal drug. A lot of people get effected by it differently. It's the most dynamic thing I've ever tried. Every experience is different. Most other drugs have a similar experience each time, but not weed.

I guess I just have to say before I'm done: Remember that your mental faculties are more important that your emotional ones. If it's doing good for you mentally, then that's great, but you need to analyze the difference between pleasure and progress.
Lol
post #60 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 01:31 AM
SAS Member

I've really had a serious benefit from taking psychedelics. It lets you see your true self and reality as it is. I love no-BS stuff and they are it. It allows you to boil down the feelings that you have and understand them on a deeper level. You will realize the crap in society and will be able to rise above it. Maybe that's a bit too hopeful, but it can help you if you make sure to treat it as a serious experience and not just a high.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page