Poll on medication - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum
View Poll Results: SSRI treatment age
Started SSRI during teenage years and currently taking for major anxiety 1 6.67%
Started SSRI during teenage years and currently taking for major depression 2 13.33%
Started SSRI during teenage years and currently taking for major depression and anxiety 5 33.33%
Started SSRI during teenage years and currently taking for moderate anxiety 0 0%
Started SSRI during teenage years and currently taking for mild depression 0 0%
Started SSRI during teenage years and currently taking for mild anxiety and depression 0 0%
Started SSRI after teenage years and currently taking for major anxiety 0 0%
Started SSRI after teenage years and currently taking for major depression 0 0%
Started SSRI after teenage years and currently taking for major depression and anxiety 5 33.33%
Started SSRI after teenage years and currently taking for moderate anxiety 0 0%
Started SSRI after teenage years and currently taking for mild depression 0 0%
Started SSRI after teenage years and currently taking for mild depression and anxiety 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

post #41 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: Gibberish
Quote:
Originally Posted by splendidbob View Post
They never really did anything for me. I thought they might have been marginally helping though, and trusted the doctors (I was young) and feared my OCD getting worse if I came off them. So I stayed on them for a good few years. Every so often I would try to come off them and 3-4 months later my OCD would get way worse, which I was told by the doctors was my illness relapsing due to me not taking the meds, so I started up again.

When I was age 32-33ish I had enough of the side effects (immense weight gain, no libido, apathy etc) and was convinced they weren't helping so I just stuck it out, and sure enough after 6-7 months of fairly hellish "discontinuation syndrome" I started slowly feeling better, and a year or so later I was almost normal. My OCD slowly got better and better over the next 5 years, despite multiple attempts by doctors to put me back on SSRI's.

Not the biggest fan of doctors or SSRI's.
I'm glad you are off the meds then! I've tried to go off medication too but have also suffered horrible discontinuation syndrome that left me EXTREMELY depressed. I think I would have to try to titrate off my medicine way slower if i was to give it another go...

Bleh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 05:54 AM
Tired

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by naes View Post
I'm glad you are off the meds then! I've tried to go off medication too but have also suffered horrible discontinuation syndrome that left me EXTREMELY depressed. I think I would have to try to titrate off my medicine way slower if i was to give it another go...
Yeh, for sure, it wasn't the easiest thing to go against basically everyone telling me to stay on them (doctors, family etc). But they were making me worse, I am sure.

I came off too quickly as well which was really stupid, it should be done super super gradually to let your brain recover I think, if you have been on them for a long period of time and struggle with discontinuation. If I did it again I would switch to liquid prozac and reduce over 3-6 months or something.

But, I guess the question is, are they helping you? And it isn't an easy question to answer if you have been on them for a very long time perhaps, because you can't really remember what it was like beforehand.
post #43 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 06:47 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
Smile

I need wheels

two used twice a day

can use four

the above means I do have 6-wheeled days

walking to a destination for chores, including waiting too long to be served!
then all the way back gets me disappointed
not efficient movement
when highly humid, as usual. any breeze is a bonus

behind windscreen suffering dense traffic stress
is not as good as outside in self-propelled fresh air - serious acceleration, or downhill

post #44 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 06:50 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Cool
did you get back in that shop twitchy ?
post #45 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 07:41 AM
Almighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC01 View Post
@ scarpia, I disagree too, although no doubt many issues are psychologically related, biological reasons must also play a huge part. Despite the knowledge we have these days the brain is still along way from being understood so I dont think anybody can point to just one or two reasons and say that is the culprit.

Although having looked briefly at Robert Whitaker's wiki entry, can't say I disagree with a couple of his points.
Here's a link to a pdf from the paper published in Ethical Human Psychology and Psychiatry 7(1) January 2005

http://pt.cchr.org/sites/default/fil...al_Illness.pdf
Quote:
Over the past 50 years, there has been an astonishing increase in severe mental illness in the United States. The percentage of Americans disabled by mental illness has increased fivefold since 1955, when Thorazine-remembered today as psychiatry's first "wonder" drug-was introduced into the market. The number of Americans disabled by mental illness has nearly doubled since 1987, when Prozac-the first in a second generation of wonder drugs for mental illness-was introduced . There are now nearly 6 million Americans disabled by mental illness, and this number increases by more than 400 people each day. A review of the scientific literature reveals that it is our drug-based paradigm of care that is fueling this epidemic . The drugs increase the likelihood that a person will become chronically ill, and induce new and mote severe psychiatric symptoms in a significant percentage of patients.
Also see this:

Quote:
Tardive dysphoria: the role of long term antidepressant use in-inducing chronic depression.

Treatment-resistant and chronic depression appear to be increasing. The recent identification of antidepressant tachyphylaxis, the loss of antidepressant efficacy over time, is only a partial explanation. This is an emerging evidence that, in some individuals, persistent use of antidepressants may be prodepressant.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21459521

Kneel before me worms. I am God.
post #46 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 08:09 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Cool
@scarpia , thanks, completely agree with the first extract re prozac and the same goes for other ssris - I haven't read anything that suggests they are great medications and no doubt in some individuals they will have adverse effects, but then again there is always that risk with any type of medication.
post #47 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Yeh, for sure, it wasn't the easiest thing to go against basically everyone telling me to stay on them (doctors, family etc). But they were making me worse, I am sure.

I came off too quickly as well which was really stupid, it should be done super super gradually to let your brain recover I think, if you have been on them for a long period of time and struggle with discontinuation. If I did it again I would switch to liquid prozac and reduce over 3-6 months or something.

But, I guess the question is, are they helping you? And it isn't an easy question to answer if you have been on them for a very long time perhaps, because you can't really remember what it was like beforehand.
Yeah it is hard for me to know because I only know what discontinuation syndrome feels like when I go off them and I am obviously really anxious and depressed then, but that is because I am suffering from withdrawal. I really want to go off of them though because of the sexual side effects. I seriously can't stand the sexual side effects.

Bleh.
post #48 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 09:02 AM
Tired

Quote:
Yeah it is hard for me to know because I only know what discontinuation syndrome feels like when I go off them and I am obviously really anxious and depressed then, but that is because I am suffering from withdrawal. I really want to go off of them though because of the sexual side effects. I seriously can't stand the sexual side effects.
Nope. Well the sexual side effects are basically life destroying in themselves. In the UK they won't even prescribe Wellbutrin to help with that, its just "do you wan't to treat your mental health problems, or be able to orgasm?".

Except, that isn't really the choice being offered, not in my experience. It's a really tough decision to make. You have to potentially commit to a year of possibly feeling awful (if you are unlucky and get the prolonged discontinuation). And you can't even be sure it isn't your original problem getting worse, so its a very unpleasant gamble to take on.
post #49 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Nope. Well the sexual side effects are basically life destroying in themselves. In the UK they won't even prescribe Wellbutrin to help with that, its just "do you wan't to treat your mental health problems, or be able to orgasm?".

Except, that isn't really the choice being offered, not in my experience. It's a really tough decision to make. You have to potentially commit to a year of possibly feeling awful (if you are unlucky and get the prolonged discontinuation). And you can't even be sure it isn't your original problem getting worse, so its a very unpleasant gamble to take on.
Yeah my NP said the same thing to me and I wanted to smack her in the face.

Bleh.
post #50 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:

Not sure what you meant by "nope" btw.

Bleh.
post #51 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 09:58 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by meepie View Post
Meds from 20-26 not anymore.

Paxil(the worst withdrawl in my life)
Lexapro
Citalopram
Zoloft
Prozac
--------------
Pristiq(SNRI)
Seroquel
Lamictal
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleghost View Post
I'm surprised Paxil was worse than Pristiq. I didn't have too much trouble getting off Paxil, but if I forget even one Pristiq, it's horrible.
I am worried about the Paxil. I am on 20mg, but still gained 40 lbs (despite the 18-24 miles a week runs I do)....and then the bruxism. I have to go back to the dentist after Christmas because my back tooth has a "ding" in it from the clenching.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #52 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 09:58 AM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
post #53 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 10:12 AM
Tired

Quote:
Not sure what you meant by "nope" btw.
lol, I actually meant "yep" - weird. Wasn't disagreeing
post #54 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenniumman75 View Post
I am worried about the Paxil. I am on 20mg, but still gained 40 lbs (despite the 18-24 miles a week runs I do)....and then the bruxism. I have to go back to the dentist after Christmas because my back tooth has a "ding" in it from the clenching.
I have to wear a hardcore retainer at night because of the bruxism my SSRI gives me. I literally chewed through my normal retainers like a dog, not even exaggerating. As far as lexapro goes I don't think it puts weight on me at all (but I can't really know unless I went off of it) but I remember back in highschool when i was on zoloft it legit made me fat and I am a naturally skinny person. I then got bullied because I had SA AND was fat. That worked out great.

Bleh.
post #55 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
lol, I actually meant "yep" - weird. Wasn't disagreeing
lol xD

Bleh.
post #56 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by komorikun View Post
Anti-depressants are like the birth control pill, hahahahaha.
yep...

Bleh.
post #57 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 12:27 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
I have to wear a hardcore retainer at night because of the bruxism my SSRI gives me. I literally chewed through my normal retainers like a dog, not even exaggerating. As far as lexapro goes I don't think it puts weight on me at all (but I can't really know unless I went off of it) but I remember back in highschool when i was on zoloft it legit made me fat and I am a naturally skinny person. I then got bullied because I had SA AND was fat. That worked out great.
You'd be SASsy at any size. Skinny or "large and in charge".

The dentist asked me about a mouthguard. I actually bought one over the counter, but am afraid to use it for fear it will shift my teeth (I had braces). I may need to wear it during naps to get used to it.

millenniumman75

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #58 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 12:47 PM
Almighty

Quote:

Especially since the SSRIs are just a placebo. See The Emperor's New Drugs Exploding the Antidepressant Myth, a 2009 book by Irving Kirsch.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emperor's_New_Drugs

Studies show they only score slightly better than placebos - and that's only in people with acute depression. But the shrinks insist the drug they are giving you is helping. because if they didn't trick you into buying the snake oil then they wouldn't have jobs and couldn't pay their student debt.

Kneel before me worms. I am God.
post #59 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenniumman75 View Post
You'd be SASsy at any size. Skinny or "large and in charge".

The dentist asked me about a mouthguard. I actually bought one over the counter, but am afraid to use it for fear it will shift my teeth (I had braces). I may need to wear it during naps to get used to it.
Huh? Anyways, make sure the mouth guard is a hard mouth guard. You don't want the cheap squishy ones, they're bad for you.

Bleh.
post #60 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 12:34 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Huh? Anyways, make sure the mouth guard is a hard mouth guard. You don't want the cheap squishy ones, they're bad for you.
- SASsiness is a state of mind, not a physical size (SSRI fat), yo!

It is one of those that you put in boiling water - I guess that is for the top teeth, the bottom side is harder rubber. I am afraid I might gag or accidentally swallow it or something.

millenniumman75

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page