Poll on medication - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum
View Poll Results: SSRI treatment age
Started SSRI during teenage years and currently taking for major anxiety 1 6.67%
Started SSRI during teenage years and currently taking for major depression 2 13.33%
Started SSRI during teenage years and currently taking for major depression and anxiety 5 33.33%
Started SSRI during teenage years and currently taking for moderate anxiety 0 0%
Started SSRI during teenage years and currently taking for mild depression 0 0%
Started SSRI during teenage years and currently taking for mild anxiety and depression 0 0%
Started SSRI after teenage years and currently taking for major anxiety 0 0%
Started SSRI after teenage years and currently taking for major depression 0 0%
Started SSRI after teenage years and currently taking for major depression and anxiety 5 33.33%
Started SSRI after teenage years and currently taking for moderate anxiety 0 0%
Started SSRI after teenage years and currently taking for mild depression 0 0%
Started SSRI after teenage years and currently taking for mild depression and anxiety 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 03:24 PM
still delicious

SSRI's never worked for me. I took Zoloft (no effect), Prozac (sleeping too much), and Paxil (fainted a few times) for depression. I have been on an atypical antidepressant for several years now.

“Never too late to learn some embarrassingly basic, stupidly obvious things about oneself." - Alain de Botton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 03:27 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Cool
which one cosmicslop?
post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 03:49 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
I tried Prozac for a couple months at age 16. Didn't feel any change.

I also tried Wellbutrin about 10 years ago, for a month when I was abroad. Just bought it at the pharmacy with no prescription. The 2nd time I tried to buy it they asked me for a prescription, so that was the end of that. It did give me more energy but it was a nervous energy. I could feel my heart racing faster than normal.

Other than that no psych meds. Just booze for socializing. 3 or 4 times I took a beta-blocker for speeches.

post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: Gibberish
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC01 View Post
common ones are bloating, weight gain, constipation, insomnia, fatigue and hypotension but it seems that that these subside and disappear after a few months on it but quite a few people quit because of them when starting up. I feel really lucky as I was expecting to feel like **** for a while but I had nothing apart from daily improvement from symptoms until they had gone, and it hasn't dipped in effect in the 3 years I have been on it.
I really want to give MAOIs a shot if that's the only side effects and they go away eventually!

Bleh.
post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 05:25 PM
SAS Member

I agree with @meepie that Paxil withdrawal is HORRIBLE.

I started meds after teenage years for both anxiety and depression but I don't really know if it's classified "major" or "mild". Both of them seem pretty damn major to me. But I'll hold off on voting.
post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheism View Post
I agree with @meepie that Paxil withdrawal is HORRIBLE.

I started meds after teenage years for both anxiety and depression but I don't really know if it's classified "major" or "mild". Both of them seem pretty damn major to me. But I'll hold off on voting.
You should vote major.

Bleh.
post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 06:08 PM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

I've been on Paxil for almost 10 years. It does absolutely nothing for my social anxiety, but it pretty much cured my neuroticism. I can't sleep without it. I suffered from severe insomnia for some 15 years, but now I can fall asleep pretty easily.

The worst side effect is sexual. I haven't had a decent orgasm since getting on Paxil.

Nobody loves me but my dog, and I think he might be jivin', too.
post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maslow View Post
I've been on Paxil for almost 10 years. It does absolutely nothing for my social anxiety, but it pretty much cured my neuroticism. I can't sleep without it. I suffered from severe insomnia for some 15 years, but now I can fall asleep pretty easily.

The worst side effect is sexual. I haven't had a decent orgasm since getting on Paxil.
That's how I feel regarding Lexapro.

Bleh.
post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 09:21 PM
Almighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by naes View Post
So you are taking a medicine atm just not an SSRI I'm guessing?
Most mental problems are psychological, not biochemical. Disturbing brain chemistry is not a way to solve a psychological problem. It will likely backfire in the long run.See: Anatomy of an Epidemic: Magic Bullets, Psychiatric Drugs, and the Astonishing Rise of Mental Illness in America by Robert Whitaker.

Kneel before me worms. I am God.
post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 09:28 PM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Quote:
How come you don't take medicine anymore?
Don't need them, never helped just made me feel like a "label".

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #31 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 09:37 PM
Permanently tired

My Mood: Doh
Oops, I accidentally voted for during teenage years and for major depression only but I got prescribed Zoloft once too when I was much younger which could have also been for my anxiety. (It did absolutely nothing, other than making me feel dizzy the very first day upon taking it, though.) The only other antidepressant I've taken was Wellbutrin which I was on just last year and it was a horrible experience for SA that I never want to go through with again, although it really helped with my depression at the time. Because of freaking out on it so bad though I think it's made me certifiably pessimistic about trying to treat SA with meds ever again. If I ever get treatment for myself in the future, I just want to try CBT or another form of therapy that doesn't make me feel like a drone whacked out or dependent on meds to survive.

"So many resources keep me alive
Yet I don't even step outside
So many sacrifices keep me alive
Yet I don't even bother to survive."

"If you think we waste too much then you can sacrifice yourself
Don't push your values
Push your values
Onto the crowd."

Mili
post #32 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 09:41 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Hmm, like what are the common side effects people complain about? If you don't remember that's cool, I'm just curious.
Most common seem to be sexual dysfunction (loss of libido, anorgasmia) and weight gain (whether from decreased metabolism or increased appetite, or a combo, not sure).

I've done many different medications, the first of which I started in my teenage years ('major depression and anxiety'). Among them are the SSRIs Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, Celexa, and Cipralex.

(currently on Wellbutrin)

post #33 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpia View Post
Most mental problems are psychological, not biochemical. Disturbing brain chemistry is not a way to solve a psychological problem. It will likely backfire in the long run.See: Anatomy of an Epidemic: Magic Bullets, Psychiatric Drugs, and the Astonishing Rise of Mental Illness in America by Robert Whitaker.
I disagree.

Bleh.
post #34 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AffinityWing View Post
Oops, I accidentally voted for during teenage years and for major depression only but I got prescribed Zoloft once too when I was much younger which could have also been for my anxiety. (It did absolutely nothing, other than making me feel dizzy the very first day upon taking it, though.) The only other antidepressant I've taken was Wellbutrin which I was on just last year and it was a horrible experience for SA that I never want to go through with again, although it really helped with my depression at the time. Because of freaking out on it so bad though I think it's made me certifiably pessimistic about trying to treat SA with meds ever again. If I ever get treatment for myself in the future, I just want to try CBT or another form of therapy that doesn't make me feel like a drone whacked out or dependent on meds to survive.
It's ok . They put me on zoloft too as my first SSRI back in the day. All it did was make me fat and tired. Fortunately I lost all the weight once I got off of it. If i had never been on zoloft highschool might not have been so bad, unfortunately I can't go back in time. These days I am pretty much dependent on medicine I would say. I wonder to myself if it was because of all the medicine I took when I was younger or not which is part of the reason behind this poll. Anyways, I just talked about a lot of stuff lol xD

Bleh.
post #35 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 10:23 PM
Harvestor Of Sorrow

I have been on all the SSRI's and they all sucked. I can totally relate to the guy who said that Paxil gave him numbness and sexual side effects. I am on a whole bunch of other meds now and thank god they don't give me sexual side effects.

And wet she rose from the lake, and fast and fleet went she
One half the form of a maiden fair with a jet black mare's body

And loud, long and shrill he blew til his steed was by his side
High overhead the grey hawk flew and swiftly did he ride
Saying "Course well, my brindled hound, and fetch me the jet black mare
Stoop and strike, my good grey hawk, and bring me the maiden fair"
post #36 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 10:33 PM
Tired

Language: English
Quote:
Why did you go off of them? And what made it take 6 years?
They never really did anything for me. I thought they might have been marginally helping though, and trusted the doctors (I was young) and feared my OCD getting worse if I came off them. So I stayed on them for a good few years. Every so often I would try to come off them and 3-4 months later my OCD would get way worse, which I was told by the doctors was my illness relapsing due to me not taking the meds, so I started up again.

When I was age 32-33ish I had enough of the side effects (immense weight gain, no libido, apathy etc) and was convinced they weren't helping so I just stuck it out, and sure enough after 6-7 months of fairly hellish "discontinuation syndrome" I started slowly feeling better, and a year or so later I was almost normal. My OCD slowly got better and better over the next 5 years, despite multiple attempts by doctors to put me back on SSRI's.

Not the biggest fan of doctors or SSRI's.
post #37 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 10:48 PM
Seeking ataraxia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maslow View Post

Yeah, that was one of the worst things about it.

Paxil is the only prescription med I've been on. It (very) subtly helped with SA. I quite cold turkey after like 10 months or so (do not recommend).
post #38 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 12:44 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Cool
@ scarpia, I disagree too, although no doubt many issues are psychologically related, biological reasons must also play a huge part. Despite the knowledge we have these days the brain is still along way from being understood so I dont think anybody can point to just one or two reasons and say that is the culprit.

Although having looked briefly at Robert Whitaker's wiki entry, can't say I disagree with a couple of his points.
post #39 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 03:02 AM
You tell me

I started taking SSRIs in my teenage years, but I currently take nothing. Can't remember exactly how many medications I've tried (they were a mix of SSRIs and other things), but it's over 10. Mostly useless.
post #40 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 03:54 AM
metamorphosis

Language: English, meme lingo
My Mood: Psychedelic
I started taking Zoloft, mainly for social anxiety, when I was 17. It certainly helped a lot back then. Now, though.... not so much. I'm thinking of switching to an SNRI in the future.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page