Online CBT Group Therapy - Dr Richards Group? over Video Chatroom or Skype - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Thumbs up

Online CBT Group Therapy - Dr Richards Group? over Video Chatroom or Skype

So I'm thinking about starting something on a video chatroom / skype where we can meet up and do some sort of Group therapy/ Support group with each other. Probably based on Dr Richard's tapes (he just uses basic CBT based therapy which is widely accepted by the psych field).

I feel that a lot of groups or discussion about SA is just support or coping, but don't deal with overcoming the SA.

Well now is your opportunity to do something about SA! (instead of just avoiding the pain that we associate with it) Cognitive Behavioral Therapy gets to the root of the problem. Our Negative automatic thoughts and how they impede us and fuel our Social anxiety.

I'm just kind of brainstorming.. Here are some ideas:

I think it will be based on CBT or possibly Dr Richard's tapes:
you can learn about them here: http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...es-cbt-100830/
(they are expensive, but u can find them online to download free if u want to try before purchasing)

I'm thinking for a time it would have to be around 6 pm Pacific 9 pm eastern time and it could run for 1.5 hr to 2 hrs?

I'm thinking we could even start first day just chatting in chat room
>>then 2nd session we uses chatroom/ audio
>>then eventually video chat
kind of like exposure therapy we ease our way into it as we feel more comfortable
>>possibly meet up locally at some point

I'm actually about to start CBT group therapy in real life as well, and I can use the format there for this.

I've also done 12 weeks of individual CBT therapy which helped, but I feel like doing this more often and regularly will help more, I can even share with you all the homework i did during this.

I'm going to seriously work on this and try to make it as organized as possible.

For now I'm just brainstorming how this will be set up. If anyone has any other ideas, knows of a similar group, or wants to help organizing it let me know.

For this to work we have to meet regularly to practice, and be persistent about it.

As far as times I'm thinking it would be good to meet at least once a week around 6 PM Pacific Time 9 PM Eastern Time and the meeting can go between 1.5-2 hours.

Anyone down for this or have any other ideas?

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...p-therapy-357/
Online Cognitive Behavioral Group Therapy (CBT) - Join if interested in Overcoming SA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 08:55 PM
SAS Member

2 hours might be long if we do it daily. I would suggest an hour and a half max, aiming towards 1 hour. I would be totally down for something like this.
post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxolue View Post
2 hours might be long if we do it daily. I would suggest an hour and a half max, aiming towards 1 hour. I would be totally down for something like this.
good to hear that wxolue. it looks like quite a few people are interested. Do you think we should meet once, twice or more times per week?

Online Cognitive Behavioral Group Therapy (CBT) - Join if interested in Overcoming SA

post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 09:59 PM
ENTP with SA...How?

Why not just have an open video chatroom all day? Like if there was some kind of site, like chatrpullette but with like 10 cameras on the screen, and anyone could
come and go as they pleased. And there cpuld be several different rooms of 10, so nobody is left out. But it could only be exclusive to
people on this site, to avoid trolls and penis.

That would be so cool to just and talk with a bunch of people with SA... A contradiction. Social anxiety social cam chat.
post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 10:23 PM
crazy

I'd like to try the CBT thing - I need to figure out all this webcam and Skype stuff though.

I know a lot of the techniques, but haven't been consistent in applying them. So maybe group meetings with homework assignments in between would help provide some motivation.

"Sometimes I wonder how all those who do not write, compose, or paint can manage to escape the madness, the melancholia, the panic and fear, which is inherent in the human condition." ~ Graham Greene

My heart aches, and a drowsy numbness pains
My sense, as though of hemlock I had drunk,
Or emptied some dull opiate to the drains
One minute past, and Lethe-wards had sunk
post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 11:12 PM
SAS Member

I like the idea of an SA chat room type of thing, but thats a different direction than an online cbt meetup group. I think three times a week would suffice. People don't have to come to all three. I too went through a cbt session. It wasn't totally successful, and while I still believe in CBT, I haven't been the most motivated about finding a therapist. This seems like the perfect opportunity to really get into changing my thoughts/behaviors.
post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 03:59 AM
User Requested Permanent Ban

I'd like to try this
post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 07:23 AM
SAS Member

I'm in as well. And do let me know if you need any help organizing. Coz I know people tend to lose interest.

You sure look motivated to get things rolling, which is great! Let's hope we can get started soon
post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Like wxolue said there has to be some structure.

This is about applying the cognitive ideas

For now anyone who is interested I would recommend downloading or purchasing the Dr Richards tapes just to get a feel for CBT or start reading up on it on the internet.

A lot of CBT is about learning about and accepting your social anxiety. Then taking action to counter the negative though patterns associated with your social phobia. It's very gradual, but changing your thoughts can be long lasting.... think of INCEPTION!! "Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it's almost impossible to eradicate." haha

...but really it's true, throughout our lives we think of social interaction as something that we associate negative thoughts with and through time our thoughts become automatic. And they come out as just plain panic or fear. Therefore we avoid things and it becomes a really bad cycle of -NEGATIVE THOUGHTS-EMOTIONAL PAIN-SOCIAL AVOIDANCE

So CBT or just changing attitude, thinking patterns, and eventually exposing ourself to social situations.

Also, a lot of CBT is common sense to a lot of us. It does make sense that our negative thoughts are bad for us. It's a matter of gradually countering them and learning to think about life as more neutral and rational, not necessarily just 'positive'. You have to give it a lot of time and dedication for it to even begin to work. So it takes a lot to get over this, but it's fun along the way especially if your motivated and you can actually see your own progress...

So yeah, if you're interested right now try to learn as much as you can about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and how Social Anxiety is comprised of:

1. The cognitive thoughts that we have about social interactions are generally irrational and negative. We need to change these thoughts to be more realistic. (our experiences are always going to go up and down, that's for certain, but our attitude, perception of it is the only thing that we have control of)
2. Slow and gradual exposure to social situations. ie: taking a walk, saying hi to a neighbor, practicing holding eye contact, being assertive, talking on phone...gradually working our way up to more.

Here's an article which describes CBT pretty welll:

http://www.aliceboyes.com/social-anxiety/

The Dr richards website:
http://www.socialanxietyinstitute.org/ccbtherapy.html

Alek

HOMEWORK: So once again our 'homework' for now is to read up on CBT the basics etc. Don't get ahead of yourself unless you have done CBT or know about it pretty well already, but CBT is all about the fundamentals so, relearning stuff we think we 'know already' will always help.

PS: Really we can't really on others to get over our SA it's a matter of our selves. We are our best counselors. We care about our own self interest more than anyone in the world, and know ourselves best.

To really get over this you might have to give up some other habit of yours that takes up a lot of time. I watch about 2-4 hours of TV a day. I'm going to limit it to 0-2 hours/ day. That gives me time to practice this stuff. It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

So Part 2 of HOMEWORK:

Do you have something you can give up which is basicallly 'time wasted' ie browsing internet for a few hours, playing video games, TV, online chat rooms, forums etc. Think about it. Is the pain and limits of SA worth the couple hours you can sacrifice?

post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

and guys thanks for the offers for organization. i'm definitely down for that I'll let u guys know, and I'll create a group right now..good idea

The thing that I learned about CBT though is that we really need to keep it as structured as possible. That was the thing about it when I did it for 12 weeks one-on-one is I wasn't dilligent about doing my homework, or exposures. But when I did structure it was more helpful. Like I said before it's no magic pill. True change takes place over time and with a lot of work. But it feels good along the way. My SA has diminished and I've been more active socially.

That being said, I'm thinking meeting 3 times a week would be a good start. I'm thinking One night we can make it a mandatory meeting where we go over theories etc. Then the other 2 can be practice, or homework, or just talking to each other about our exposures/homework etc.

Also, if you guys want there's always the SA chat room where you can discuss things with people about SA.It can be fun and feels good to talk about our issues with SA there, but it's unstructured and IMO doesn't really help in the long term with change.

post #11 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...group-therapy/

heres the group if anyone's interested

post #12 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Permanently Banned

I think I'd be up for this, not sure about the video chat thing though. :-/
post #13 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:15 PM
SAS Member

I'd also be interested.

"Our whole life is an attempt to discover when our spontaneity is whimsical, sentimental irresponsibility and when it is a valid expression of our deepest desires and values."
post #14 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:16 PM
is getting over herself

when is this actually starting?

Live Cage Free!!!! or, at least be wild caught.
SnowFlakesFire:

You can rebuild your self-esteem. Rebuild it into a way that others cannot destroy it anymore.
post #15 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardess View Post
when is this actually starting?
Yeah good question hehe... i'm thinking sooner rather then later.

Maybe even this thursday we can meet 6 pm Pac time 9 pm Eastern.
It will be at:
http://tinychat.com/onlinecbt
Password is: sas

You can go to the site now, make username, familiarize yourself with the chat etc. What's cool about this is you can choose whether you want to just text-based-chat, audio-chat, or video-chat... i'm still familiarizing myself with it

This could just be a first meeting to get to know each other, to see how many are interested, get a head count etc.

Whoever joins is going to need to be dedicated though and be able to meet regularly and do their homework.

To the person saying they might be scared to meet over video we might gradually get into that. Start with text chat > gradually move towards audio > video with text > video with audio

I know everyone is at a different level. If your fear right now is so high that you the thought of even text-chatting is too much, i would sincerely recommend medication or going to seek therapy/professional treatment... we only have one life to live... might as well try to live it as best as we can possibly...

So once again THIS THURSDAY 6 PM Pac Time 9 PM Eastern Time first meeting

Last edited by AlekParker; 02-08-2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: THIS THURSDAY 6 PM Pac Time 9 PM Eastern Time
post #16 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 02:08 PM
SAS Member

this is a GREAT idea Alek.

i have a mic, no webcam yet though.

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get people interested in you."

-Dale Carnegie

"Nothing changes when nothing changes."

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
post #17 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 02:28 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy
I'm liking the idea!

If you're not part of the freaks, you're part of the boredom.

What other people think of you is none of your business
post #18 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 02:40 AM
SAS Member

I'm in!

Whatever helps. Whatever it takes Slow and steady, one step at a time.

Hmm, 1AM Friday morning :/ Well what am I saying... I'm usually awake till 3AM anyway.

See you there!

x

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and could say, "I used everything you gave me"."
- Erma Bombeck
post #19 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 06:49 AM
World Experimenter

This sounds really great! Thanks for making the effort for it

I'd like to think that in the end, it will be worthwhile.

http://twitter.com/crazynified
post #20 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Nice, glad you're all interested. I feel super motivated right now...I hope I keep this up, because I don't want to fall back into the social anxiety low point I was at several years ago...

For now I would really recommend investing $20-40 on a web cam -you can get them online or at best buy etc for real cheap

Also mics you can get for under $10 if it's a cheap one

I hope all of you are willing to make sacrifices, and are committed to this. CBT only works if you practice lots, and continue with it. It also will involve forcing you to feel anxiety at some point. But this is gradual and will be

Just to let u all know I've done a 12 wk one-on-one CBT therapy which was very helpful. I think if I had pushed my self more and worked harder I would have benefited 10Xs more, but it's easy to kind of give up or fill your time with other things like video games, TV, surfing the web...things that make you feel good when you do them, but have no benefit for you in the long run. Those things are fine in moderation, but I would consider quitting anything that is really impeding your life. It will give you more time to practice CBT

Like I said before now is the time to learn as much as you can about CBT, try to get the Dr Richards tapes, or buy a CBT book. It's worth the investment because this is your life we're talking about. Learn as much as you can about it before we begin with the lessons, because it will benefit you greatly.

First meeting for general brainstorming will be this

THURSDAY 6 PM PACIFIC TIME 9 PM EASTERN TIME

http://tinychat.com/onlinecbt
password: sas

this will not be video/audio, just text chat for now.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page