NHS self referring - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

NHS self referring

Hi everyone.

Iím in the UK and trying to self refer for NHS counselling/CBT/talking therapy/literally whatever they can offer me. My local NHS mental health place doesnít have a self referral form but says to get in contact by phone (lol) or email. Iím drafting an email I'm but not sure what to include. Thinking about it stresses me out so I keep avoiding it and have literally been putting this off for months.

Can anyone help me out a bit? and by help I mean give me some very detailed instructions on what I should write.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:48 PM
Tired

Language: English
Explain your problems, how it affects your daily life, why it makes things difficult for you and the things you want / need to be able to do but can't (as well as mention what you think your problems are, if they are SA / depression etc)..

Re the NHS, you need to go in very hard on how much it affects your life, or they won't take you seriously (esp if its "just social anxiety").

I am guessing though if it is for the standard 6 sessions of CBT, you won't need to do this, just say what your problems are, but if I were you (based on my recent excellent experience with secondary care therapy), you should try to get on the waiting list for that, which means convincing them its very disruptive for you.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:49 PM
Tired

Language: English
Oh, I should also say, don't worry too much about this though. It's going to be better to draft something you might not think is perfect, than put off writing it at all, if in doubt just outline your problems, read it through once and press send

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splendidbob View Post
Explain your problems, how it affects your daily life, why it makes things difficult for you and the things you want / need to be able to do but can't (as well as mention what you think your problems are, if they are SA / depression etc)..

Re the NHS, you need to go in very hard on how much it affects your life, or they won't take you seriously (esp if its "just social anxiety").

I am guessing though if it is for the standard 6 sessions of CBT, you won't need to do this, just say what your problems are, but if I were you (based on my recent excellent experience with secondary care therapy), you should try to get on the waiting list for that, which means convincing them its very disruptive for you.
Thank you so much for your help! tbh I could write essays on how disruptive it is so this shouldn't be too hard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by splendidbob View Post
Oh, I should also say, don't worry too much about this though. It's going to be better to draft something you might not think is perfect, than put off writing it at all, if in doubt just outline your problems, read it through once and press send
That's a good idea, I think I'm going to give myself a deadline to write it all out and send it by so I don't overthink it. Thanks again

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page