Negative core beliefs replaceable or only manageable? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Dude

Negative core beliefs replaceable or only manageable?

I have some habits and beliefs that I have replaced completely following self CBT, but when it comes down to the deeper things that you have believed almost your entire life they always seems to come back no matter how much you try to block/replace them. Like the belief that you are just never good enough in life. I can stop with those thoughts quite effectively maybe for a up to few months, where they seem gone. But then after awhile you might become more relaxed and confident about controlling your thoughts, or problems in life distract you. Then it seems very easy to start regressing and spiraling back down. It's hard to catch what I'm doing because it feels very natural. It's tough because I'm using my own logic/rationality to control my thoughts, which is flawed and what were trying to fix in the first place. Maybe that's where the main benefit of having a therapist is?

It's been quite a cycle like this. Do well for awhile, regress, get out of negative funk, repeat. So what do you all do to make sure you don't fall back into old habits? Do you think we can truly stop what has always been holding us back? Or do we have to manage these beliefs and thoughts for the rest of our lives?

"An idle mind is the devil's workshop."

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page