Moving to a less populous region - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
banished SPW poster

Moving to a less populous region

I have been giving this a lot of thought recently. Lately I have been trying to judge how my anxiety fluctuates during my day and have found that it cranks up to a great magnitude when I am in a crowded, noisy place. But when I am only around a few other people with more space to breathe, it is bearable. I wonder if my body is trying to tell me that it doesn't want to be around so many people. Where I live is very crowded, I hate it and am forced to spend a lot of time at home alone because going in public is too stressful. What does everyone think , if I moved to a more isolated place, would that help SA? Does anyone here live in some place like Alaska or Wyoming, or do you all live in cities?

"Each day brings sad news, but each day itself is good news."--a fortune cookie I opened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 09:00 PM
untitled document

Language: None
You may be better off with something in the middle: a small city close to the wilderness. Going from one extreme to the other could leave you very lonely and short of places to go.

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
banished SPW poster

hmm that's a good point. Do you live in a place like that?

"Each day brings sad news, but each day itself is good news."--a fortune cookie I opened.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 01:32 PM
SAS Member

In rural, poorly populated areas people have much deeper relationships with their relatives, neighbours and even with total strangers. So, no, moving there will not help you, because in the town you can be anonymous. In rural areas, people will expect from you to talk and to be open.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Fighting SA since 2005

My Mood: Asleep
I agree with the other guys, you'll probably find it easier in a small city / large town. That's what I did, and it really helped me become more social. Large populated areas are too competitive, impatient and unforgiving, but small villages are perhaps too intimate and have fewer opportunities. You'll need a balance.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
banished SPW poster

where did you move to that helped your anxiety? (your location field says you would tell if I asked)

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 03:21 PM
SAS Member

I agree, somewhere in the middle. I'm from Ireland so I don't know where in America would be good but somewhere rural or on the outskirts... Not NY type place anyway!! But then again, in smaller communities everyone knows everyone else n they are very nosy n watch what everyone is doing... But maybe it would be nice for u to walk down the road and no crowds around u, just maybe one or two other people every couple of minutes.. yeah I think it would improve your SA a great deal if u moved out of the city!

I have left the building.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page