Mindfulness - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Mindfulness

I've been hearing quite a lot about using mindfulness as a way to manage anxiety. I was wondering what others thought of it. If you've used it, what was the break through moment for you?

I'm still struggling to accept the present, probably because I've made such a habit of escaping through various forms of media. What do you feel is a good way to approach mindfulness training?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 01:19 PM
SAS Member

I've only started with my mindfulness program lately. I'm 3 weeks in so I haven't had any massive changes yet, but I do find the whole concept fascinating. It makes sense to me how living mindfully could make a great shift in my anxiety, I'm hopeful so far. Here's the teaching material I've been using....

http://www.audiodharma.org/series/1/talk/1762/

“A hero is a man who does what he can.” -Romain Rolland
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 04:39 AM
SAS Member

Interesting topic that deserves more discussion, but the problem seems to be that because there isn't a complicated step-by-step manual that it's either discarded or thought to be harder than it really is.

Breakthrough - probably reading the book The Practicing Mind. The author admits there aren't a lot of ideas in the book, but says they are easy to forget and slip away. And the key is to remember that.

Basically, slowing down the mind, and the realization that you can only do what you are doing, helped me. So if I have 19 things at work that need to be done the proverbial yesterday, I just focus on the first thing until it's done. Before, I'd be rushing through 1 thinking about 2 so I could get to 3 and start worrying about 4, which created a tremendous amount of stress.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 04:45 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfuse View Post
I've been hearing quite a lot about using mindfulness as a way to manage anxiety. I was wondering what others thought of it. If you've used it, what was the break through moment for you?

I'm still struggling to accept the present, probably because I've made such a habit of escaping through various forms of media. What do you feel is a good way to approach mindfulness training?
Actually, using media isn't an escape. If that's what you are doing, that's perfect then and there. That is your present, your reality. There's nothing else. I'm curious as to why you label it as such?

I think I'm starting to understand what Zen masters are getting at - when you pour tea, just pour. So when you're on the computer or watching a movie, that's where you are.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page