Meditation Thread - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:58 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcharay View Post
15 mins today . Yeah as above, I actually thought I am going to set time aside just for it (and not in bed when I'm about to sleep). I am going to try 2 x in a day.
Do you have a guided course to follow ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:17 PM
SAS Member

@SFC01
No I just try to keep in line with the transcendental meditation technique. Inhale deeply through the nose and work the breath way through the diaphragm while chanting silently (in my head) 'ram' as I exhale.
post #43 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 07:46 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
@SFC01
No I just try to keep in line with the transcendental meditation technique. Inhale deeply through the nose and work the breath way through the diaphragm while chanting silently (in my head) 'ram' as I exhale.
Ok, dont know much about transcendental meditation, assume it can be a secular practice ? Any websites you recommend for me to have a look at and try some out ?

post #44 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 04:51 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC01 View Post
Ok, dont know much about transcendental meditation, assume it can be a secular practice ? Any websites you recommend for me to have a look at and try some out ?
Yeah, it's just good for health. They've made a market with TM courses so information is hard to come across. This probably sums it up: http://www.meditationtechniquesbegin...ion-technique/. You can also choose your own mantra, whatever registers best for you. I tried looking but it appears that the info is pretty guarded. "Ram" is sounded out as arm, along with 'Lam', and I think these mantras is a good place to start off.
post #45 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 05:45 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Yeah, it's just good for health. They've made a market with TM courses so information is hard to come across. This probably sums it up: http://www.meditationtechniquesbegin...ion-technique/. You can also choose your own mantra, whatever registers best for you. I tried looking but it appears that the info is pretty guarded. "Ram" is sounded out as arm, along with 'Lam', and I think these mantras is a good place to start off.
Thanks for this - just checked some studies that suggest TM can work for things like anxiety within 2 weeks, compared to what I think is 8 weeks with mindfulness. Wonder where the difference lies - will try some TM tonight I think.
post #46 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 05:04 PM
SAS Member

I think the mantra is the major differing factor. TM is probably easier if you need to focus on something, it can be hard to stay aware of your thoughts with mindfulness. Mindfulness is practical for tackling day to day stuff.
post #47 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 04:14 AM
My guitar gently weeps

Did mindfulness today- a 5 min deep breathing and a 5 min body scan.
post #48 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 06:17 AM
SAS Member

Hey,

Does meditation help you regulating your anger in your everyday life ? Being more calm when someone/something upset you ?
post #49 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 10:36 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassoulet94 View Post
Hey,

Does meditation help you regulating your anger in your everyday life ? Being more calm when someone/something upset you ?
I think it can. I'm not the angriest person in the world Cass but meditation has definitely helped me control my temper with my kids, stopping me from setting stupid punishments I wont keep, or ruining an afternoon out - I now tend to stop and watch my breath for 10-20 seconds before reacting and stopping things going further than they need to.
post #50 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 10:43 AM
SAS Member

I also meditated for a few months every day for 20 minutes and it definitely helped my anxiety. I noticed myself observing my thoughts more rather than living in them. In circumstances where my anxiety would normally flare up, I noticed that my mind was calm. I stopped recently too but I definitely want to in start up again.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
― Mark Twain
post #51 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 01:19 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Seigel View Post
I also meditated for a few months every day for 20 minutes and it definitely helped my anxiety. I noticed myself observing my thoughts more rather than living in them. In circumstances where my anxiety would normally flare up, I noticed that my mind was calm. I stopped recently too but I definitely want to in start up again.
Agree, when you start to observe thoughts rather than think they are reality is when the benefits of meditation really start to come.

I think of my thoughts as spontaneous universes popping in and out of existence inside a bigger empty space ie my brain (can easily imagine that bit) - it has become almost second nature now. Some people like to practice seeing them as clouds floating by or bubbles in a stream.
post #52 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 02:18 PM
SAS Member

The one thing that's difficult for me is to sit still and focus on the meditation sometimes. It's hard to remove yourself from stimulation (i.e. computer, phone). Does anyone have any tips for sitting still?

I feel like you could use some classical conditioning to condition yourself to be happy and enjoy the meditation. Maybe meditate at first while doing something pleasurable like listening to music or eating a candy bar.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
― Mark Twain
post #53 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 10:41 PM
Permanently Banned

well firstly, you dont have to enjoy the meditation. Its a bit like trying to get fit, you may hate the work out but you do it anyway to hit you goal. I quite enjoy meditating now when I`m not in the mood as it feels like your are really practicing, really dedicated, in the same way as when you go out for a run at 6AM in the freezing rain to get fit.

You could try meditating the same time each day and maybe change you daily routine a little bit so you know you wont be near anything too stimulating at the time.

Another trick I try if I really cant settle is putting both hands on my stomach and concentrating on them going up and down for a few minutes or as long as it takes for the mind to settle.

Or you could always go for a mindful walk instead if you are buzzing too much and concentrate on your footfall and feelings in your feet as you walk rather than a breath orientated practice.
post #54 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 10:47 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
well firstly, you dont have to enjoy the meditation. Its a bit like trying to get fit, you may hate the work out but you do it anyway to hit you goal. I quite enjoy meditating now when I`m not in the mood as it feels like your are really practicing, really dedicated, in the same way as when you go out for a run at 6AM in the freezing rain to get fit.

You could try meditating the same time each day and maybe change you daily routine a little bit so you know you wont be near anything too stimulating at the time.

Another trick I try if I really cant settle is putting both hands on my stomach and concentrating on them going up and down for a few minutes or as long as it takes for the mind to settle.

Or you could always go for a mindful walk instead if you are buzzing too much and concentrate on your footfall and feelings in your feet as you walk rather than a breath orientated practice.
Thanks for the tips! I've done walking meditation and I find that to be pretty relaxing. But that's good to know because I had the mistaken belief that you have to enjoy it, which I do usually. But sometimes I don't feel like doing it and you're right, you gotta push through like that 6AM run.

― Mark Twain
post #55 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 11:02 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the tips! I've done walking meditation and I find that to be pretty relaxing. But that's good to know because I had the mistaken belief that you have to enjoy it, which I do usually. But sometimes I don't feel like doing it and you're right, you gotta push through like that 6AM run.
I`ve been practicing for over a year daily now for 1 to 2 hrs on average, 6 years if you include the other intermittent periods and sometimes I can meditate all day because I am so focused and enjoying it and then the next day I struggle to focus on my breath more than a few times in 20 mins and find it a real chore - thats just how it goes.
post #56 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 11:10 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
I`ve been practicing for over a year daily now for 1 to 2 hrs on average, 6 years if you include the other intermittent periods and sometimes I can meditate all day because I am so focused and enjoying it and then the next day I struggle to focus on my breath more than a few times in 20 mins and find it a real chore - thats just how it goes.
Wow that's pretty good. Has it helped your anxiety?

― Mark Twain
post #57 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 12:23 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Wow that's pretty good. Has it helped your anxiety?
I also take a MAOI med which helped my anxiety greatly but mindfulness has completely changed my thought process and mopped up any anxiety thats left.

It helps with so much else in life than just anxiety though, sleep, diet, exercise, relationships etc. Its a great practice to stick with but you need to incorporate it into your life.
post #58 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 12:38 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
I also take a MAOI med which helped my anxiety greatly but mindfulness has completely changed my thought process and mopped up any anxiety thats left.

It helps with so much else in life than just anxiety though, sleep, diet, exercise, relationships etc. Its a great practice to stick with but you need to incorporate it into your life.
Wow that's awesome man! I'm a big proponent of meditation. After reading The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle, I am convinced that it is the best treatment for anxiety and for increasing happiness (by happiness I mean contentment). With meditation, there are little to no risks or drawbacks, yet there are so many benefits. The only difficult thing is sticking with it. But I myself have seen the benefits just from a few months of meditating for 20 minutes/day. I just need to start up again and stick with it.

― Mark Twain
post #59 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 12:44 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Wow that's awesome man! I'm a big proponent of meditation. After reading The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle, I am convinced that it is the best treatment for anxiety and for increasing happiness (by happiness I mean contentment). With meditation, there are little to no risks or drawbacks, yet there are so many benefits. The only difficult thing is sticking with it. But I myself have seen the benefits just from a few months of meditating for 20 minutes/day. I just need to start up again and stick with it.
Yeah, go for it mate.

I was once so stuck with anxious thoughts about everything, small or large, I thought that I would be that way until the day I died. Even when I read about and first started mindfulness, I always felt that this wont work for me, maybe for other people not as anxious as me, but not me.
post #60 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Tired

Language: English
Struggling to keep up with this heh. Maybe a thing too far for me atm (weight loss + exposure quite a lot to take on). I am incorporating mindfulness into my daily exposures though. Hope to add back in the meditation soon

Enough about me, lets talk about you, what do you think about me?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page