Meditation Thread - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Tired

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by realisticandhopeful View Post
@splendidbob can't really tell you much as I don't know too much about it myself. Just sounds awesome. Here's the link https://www.dhamma.org/

Also loving kindness meditation is pretty good. Not my fave. I think I'd have to focus it all towards myself first though. Then turn it outwards.
Yeh, I think its definitely worth looking into though like @SFC01 says I think they might be quite hardcore in terms of duration and intensity. But if it's too much, you can just walk out I guess, no harm done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:39 PM
My guitar gently weeps

@splendidbob

Or can you... dun dun dunnnnn. Lol. Yea i guess they can't hold you hostage, but the site is pretty clear they urge you to stay til the end. Oh and 10 days in silence, you mean no awkward convo's ever again? Whelp i'm moving in! Not avoidance at all lol. Just love me some meditation... yea

Miles to go before I sleep.

Know your ACE (adverse childhood experiences) score?
Sometimes, SA is a symptom of significant developmental, attachment or interpersonal trauma (emotional neglect counts). If you're still stuck after you've tried SA treatments such as CBT and exposure, research C-PTSD and see if it resonates. Here's an awesome resource. Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving
post #23 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 10:02 PM
Blue Mage

I'm up for this. I've been meaning to retry learning to meditate anyway. I'll check out some of those links too.

Maybe I started off too ambitious before, I was doing 10 minutes from the very start, rather than 2.5 minutes.

post #24 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by realisticandhopeful View Post
@splendidbob

Or can you... dun dun dunnnnn. Lol. Yea i guess they can't hold you hostage, but the site is pretty clear they urge you to stay til the end. Oh and 10 days in silence, you mean no awkward convo's ever again? Whelp i'm moving in! Not avoidance at all lol. Just love me some meditation... yea
I guess after that you will be very good at meditation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strago View Post
I'm up for this. I've been meaning to retry learning to meditate anyway. I'll check out some of those links too.

Maybe I started off too ambitious before, I was doing 10 minutes from the very start, rather than 2.5 minutes.
I think with this kind of thing its really more about establishing a habit, and latching it onto something else you do. So keeping the time needed low enough so you can't talk yourself out of it makes sense . I also found varying the counting and ways you do it in 2.4 or 5 minute blocks makes it easier to do a longer amount too.
post #25 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 10:22 PM
Blue Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by splendidbob View Post
I think with this kind of thing its really more about establishing a habit, and latching it onto something else you do. So keeping the time needed low enough so you can't talk yourself out of it makes sense . I also found varying the counting and ways you do it in 2.4 or 5 minute blocks makes it easier to do a longer amount too.
The problem with latching it on to a different habit, is I don't keep to a consistent schedule with much of anything. Even my sleep schedule isn't consistent. So I don't know what I would do that with.
post #26 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strago View Post
The problem with latching it on to a different habit, is I don't keep to a consistent schedule with much of anything. Even my sleep schedule isn't consistent. So I don't know what I would do that with.
After / before you clean your teeth or shower
As soon as you wake up
Before you go to sleep
Before / after breakfast

Stuff like that
post #27 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 06:52 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Cool
Bob, assume you are aware of the informal type of practice with meditation ie when brushing your teeth or having a shower, walking, driving, eating etc ? An important part of it all.
post #28 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC01 View Post
Bob, assume you are aware of the informal type of practice with meditation ie when brushing your teeth or having a shower, walking, driving, eating etc ? An important part of it all.
Yeh, I find that quite difficult personally, I kinda need scheduled times to do stuff. But yeh, it was something I was looking to start incorporating before I stopped doing it before
post #29 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 11:14 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Yeh, I find that quite difficult personally, I kinda need scheduled times to do stuff. But yeh, it was something I was looking to start incorporating before I stopped doing it before
yeah mate, it can be difficult to make routine - I set reminders at the start, to brush my teeth etc mindfully. Now things like that and walking, driving etc are always mindful for me now as I'm so used to doing it.
post #30 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 11:57 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Paranoid
I need to get back into meditation, so I'm in. I'm shooting for 30 minutes a day starting off.

I meditated intensively last year for about four months. I was meditating up to five hours a day (typically 2-3 hours a day). It felt amazing. I was praying alongside my meditation and I felt such overwhelming joy and peace.

A good book that I read on the matter is Mindfulness in Plain English. You can find a free version at the following link.

http://www.vipassana.com/meditation/...in_english.php
post #31 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Tired

@Humesday , wow, that's hardcore. Interesting to hear how you felt on that much. Did you break it up into small sections or do one or two long chunks?

Thanks for the link
post #32 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 01:05 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Paranoid
Quote:
@Humesday , wow, that's hardcore. Interesting to hear how you felt on that much. Did you break it up into small sections or do one or two long chunks?

Thanks for the link
I'd break it up into hour long chunks. I'd meditate for an hour, take a small five minute break, do another hour long session, then maybe do some compassion meditation, etc.

It's actually kind of addicting once you really get into it. It's pretty easy to meditate the day away once that sense of peace and joy really takes hold.
post #33 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 01:54 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humesday View Post
I'd break it up into hour long chunks. I'd meditate for an hour, take a small five minute break, do another hour long session, then maybe do some compassion meditation, etc.

It's actually kind of addicting once you really get into it. It's pretty easy to meditate the day away once that sense of peace and joy really takes hold.
If in the right mood, I can sit all day too but rarely in that mood - usually an hour practice plus another hour or so with a number of smaller practices but yes it can be addicting at certain times.
post #34 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 07:31 PM
littleghost

My Mood: Bashful
I was having trouble doing the meditation. I was too harsh on myself and getting frustrated when my mind would wander. Once, I had a song stuck in my head and it was driving me crazy. Then I remembered about Labeling. With Labeling, when an intrusive thought crosses your mind, or you hear a distraction, or feel a pain or something, you label it with one simple word before directing your attention back to the breath. For some reason it works, I would think "song" and the song would go away for a while. You can say pain, noise, birds, thinking, whatever word works to label the distraction. I'm trying to remember to not get frustrated with myself too.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. ...Eleanor Roosevelt
post #35 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:06 PM
Blue Mage

I went with doing the meditation when I woke up in the morning. I forgot to set a timer though so I don't know exactly how long it was, probably about 5 minutes.
post #36 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 11:56 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleghost View Post
I was having trouble doing the meditation. I was too harsh on myself and getting frustrated when my mind would wander. Once, I had a song stuck in my head and it was driving me crazy. Then I remembered about Labeling. With Labeling, when an intrusive thought crosses your mind, or you hear a distraction, or feel a pain or something, you label it with one simple word before directing your attention back to the breath. For some reason it works, I would think "song" and the song would go away for a while. You can say pain, noise, birds, thinking, whatever word works to label the distraction. I'm trying to remember to not get frustrated with myself too.
Yes thought lableing is a good idea and I tend to incorporate into all practices - that way it seems to filter into daily life - have you tried listening meditation ? always good to do some of that as you can think of sounds in the same way as thoughts, coming and going.

You can always work with that frustration and notice how it effects the body sensations etc as of course mindfulness is all about how you are in that moment not how you want it to be.
post #37 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Tired

I have been struggling with this this week, missed yesterday . Now my OCD might be kicking off again I will probably keep the duration down to 2.5 mins for another week (I find meditation and OCD aren't good bedfellows, to put it mildly).
post #38 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:11 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy
I feel meditation along with prescription drugs, exercise, therapy, and doing hobbies you enjoy all are helpful. I know it is something I will be doing forever, because it's one of my hobbies I like to do and should stay mindful things wont improve all at once for anyone, but if you actually like to meditate then you should see a difference in whatever illness we all have. So I guess what I am saying is don't meditate thinking only of the benefits, but for the joy of actually meditating in that moment, so you will not be discouraged if you have anxious times and then give up. I believe you have to set time aside for it, because it is easy to stop and once you stop it could cause anxiety over yourself and thinking I need to start, so just do it.
post #39 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:33 PM
SAS Member

15 mins today . Yeah as above, I actually thought I am going to set time aside just for it (and not in bed when I'm about to sleep). I am going to try 2 x in a day.
post #40 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:57 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev1 View Post
so you will not be discouraged if you have anxious times and then give up. I believe you have to set time aside for it, because it is easy to stop and once you stop it could cause anxiety over yourself and thinking I need to start, so just do it.
Setting aside time for each day is obviously a great idea.

Just a note re anxious times and giving up - remember you can try different practices for different moods, for eg if you are too highly strung/anxious to even think about sitting and practising, then a mindful walk or even car drive can be as good and are easier to do in that state of mind - of course you will get the added benefit of some exercise as well.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page