LSD/hallucinogen therapy - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
prince charming

LSD/hallucinogen therapy

Nothing seems to work to bring about a profound change in the way I perceive/experience life. I've tried so much, with so little result that it's hard to believe it's possible at all. I'm getting out of options. I've tried ibogaine ten years ago but this didn't help me. A few years ago I first heard about LSD therapy for anxiety/depression. Psyloscibine and MDMA are also mentioned in some documentaries as being potentially helpful for treating anxiety/depression. Recently I've been giving it more thought because my life can't go on as it is. I'm going to look into this form of therapy. Is there anybody here who experienced it? With micro-doses or an actual trip?
I'm not advocating taking any illicit stuff by the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 10:11 AM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

I did psychedelics when I was in my early 20s and saw people freak out on LSD. It seems dangerous for the treatment of mental illness.

Smoking pot changed the way I perceived certain things in life -- especially music. Living in the Netherlands, you probably already tried that.

Nobody loves me but my dog, and I think he might be jivin', too.
post #3 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
prince charming

Thank you for your reply.

It is off course not something to take lightly. I'm actually referring to a form of treatment, carried out in a controlled and safe environment with therapists. It has been a taboo for decades, but more scientific research has been carried out in the last years. I read about trials with promising results for the treatment of anxiety/depression. Something scientists were researching before the hippies destroyed everything.
From what I've seen and heard so far, I understand an LSD trip for instance, can enable you to view yourself and your history from such a different perspective that it can profoundly impact your life from then on. I imagine the feeling of connectedness and the realization that everything is one could be beneficial for someone who's life is destroyed by SA.
I think I'd be willing to give something like that a try.
I've always been scared of taking hallucinogens because I feel like I'm way too unstable for it. Recreational use is not for me really. I do however, realize that my only problem is the way I experience things. Any form of therapy is aimed at changing this. It hasn't gotten me very far though. Cognitive, meds, exposure, regression, etc. It just hasn't helped me to get to a point where life is actually bearable/enjoyable. The status qua is horrible, unsustainable. It's a "when everything else has failed" kind of quest, I guess.

post #4 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 02:47 PM
SAS Member

LSD and psychedelics taken under the right conditions can completely change one's life. I'd say LSD even saved my life and turned me around for the better, it took me out of my depressive mindset and negative thinking patterns, allowing me to see things from an objective point of view and to look at myself and life with more compassion and empathy. With psychedelics you feel a connection to all forms of life, it can be a very spiritual experience and help you to put things in perspective. Don't rely on it to change your life though, eventually thing's will fade and your old mindset will eventually come back (as it's how you've been conditioned to think after all these years), the real work begins with you. Psychedelics are like therapy on steroids, one trip can be compared to 20 years of psychotherapy, I learnt more from one trip than I ever had in therapy.

“You say that I am a king. For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world—to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice.” - John 18:37.
post #5 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 03:54 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan Jie View Post
Thank you for your reply.

It is off course not something to take lightly. I'm actually referring to a form of treatment, carried out in a controlled and safe environment with therapists. It has been a taboo for decades, but more scientific research has been carried out in the last years. I read about trials with promising results for the treatment of anxiety/depression. Something scientists were researching before the hippies destroyed everything.
From what I've seen and heard so far, I understand an LSD trip for instance, can enable you to view yourself and your history from such a different perspective that it can profoundly impact your life from then on. I imagine the feeling of connectedness and the realization that everything is one could be beneficial for someone who's life is destroyed by SA.
I think I'd be willing to give something like that a try.
I've always been scared of taking hallucinogens because I feel like I'm way too unstable for it. Recreational use is not for me really. I do however, realize that my only problem is the way I experience things. Any form of therapy is aimed at changing this. It hasn't gotten me very far though. Cognitive, meds, exposure, regression, etc. It just hasn't helped me to get to a point where life is actually bearable/enjoyable. The status qua is horrible, unsustainable. It's a "when everything else has failed" kind of quest, I guess.
I feel the same way because I would imagine you'd have little grasp of controlling your thoughts to a better space where you could work on yourself, you would be freaking out/panicking too much. If you ever did it, I've read micro dosing and getting a comfortable feel for it before taking more(on a later occasion) is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInAShed View Post
LSD and psychedelics taken under the right conditions can completely change one's life. I'd say LSD even saved my life and turned me around for the better, it took me out of my depressive mindset and negative thinking patterns, allowing me to see things from an objective point of view and to look at myself and life with more compassion and empathy. With psychedelics you feel a connection to all forms of life, it can be a very spiritual experience and help you to put things in perspective. Don't rely on it to change your life though, eventually thing's will fade and your old mindset will eventually come back (as it's how you've been conditioned to think after all these years), the real work begins with you. Psychedelics are like therapy on steroids, one trip can be compared to 20 years of psychotherapy, I learnt more from one trip than I ever had in therapy.
How many times have you done it per year?
post #6 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:22 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcharay View Post
I feel the same way because I would imagine you'd have little grasp of controlling your thoughts to a better space where you could work on yourself, you would be freaking out/panicking too much. If you ever did it, I've read micro dosing and getting a comfortable feel for it before taking more(on a later occasion) is the way to go.

How many times have you done it per year?
I don't do it anymore but I'd say I used to take approx 4 times a year, every few months or so to "reset" things. Otherwise old negative thinking patterns begin to creep back. I also would only take low doses 75-100ug, this was more than enough for me and to reap the positive benefits without it being too hallucinogenic. LSD is an extremely potent drug so I'd advise anyone to start small you can always redose another time, it's better to get a feel of the medicine and how it works. It's such an amazing medicine but needs to be treated with a lot of respect as it has the potential of unleashing fear and paranoia like you've never known before, set and setting are paramount.

“You say that I am a king. For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world—to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice.” - John 18:37.
post #7 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 07:14 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Pensive
Does Las Vegas have good places to obtain them?
post #8 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 07:36 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
I don't do it anymore but I'd say I used to take approx 4 times a year, every few months or so to "reset" things. Otherwise old negative thinking patterns begin to creep back. I also would only take low doses 75-100ug, this was more than enough for me and to reap the positive benefits without it being too hallucinogenic. LSD is an extremely potent drug so I'd advise anyone to start small you can always redose another time, it's better to get a feel of the medicine and how it works. It's such an amazing medicine but needs to be treated with a lot of respect as it has the potential of unleashing fear and paranoia like you've never known before, set and setting are paramount.
Ah, thank you. I think 4 x per year would be worth it rather than regular psychological sessions (economical too). It is very scary with hallucinogens, I could only imagine it likened to a horror filled dream but you don't have the faculty to control or escape it if you're that unstable type. For me, I would be doing 75 max and no more if I had the means.

(OP)
There has been a lot of suggestions to starters, especially (from reading) that antipsychotics-mainly and benzos can kill it in case you get deeply wayward into a state of paranoia/panic. One suggested dose for starters was 150ug which I think is excessive.
post #9 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 11:09 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcharay View Post
Ah, thank you. I think 4 x per year would be worth it rather than regular psychological sessions (economical too). It is very scary with hallucinogens, I could only imagine it likened to a horror filled dream but you don't have the faculty to control or escape it if you're that unstable type. For me, I would be doing 75 max and no more if I had the means.

(OP)
There has been a lot of suggestions to starters, especially (from reading) that antipsychotics-mainly and benzos can kill it in case you get deeply wayward into a state of paranoia/panic. One suggested dose for starters was 150ug which I think is excessive.
I know right it's scary, it's like a nightmare that you can't wake up from and then the fear just keeps building upon itself. I never believed in bad trips until I had one. It's a risk because if it happens to a fragile person they may experience PTSD and psychological damage. That's why it's good to have benzos and antipsychotics on hand. Just knowing you have them can ease your anxiety. My last trip was a bad trip and I coped out and took some benzos and antipsychotics and it made all the difference, it stopped it so I could calm down. That's why I don't use LSD anymore after that trip, I've gotten what I need from it and I have no desire to go back.

But psychedelics in general are almost a required experience in seeing what it means to be human. They can bring about such a profound change of mind, allowing you to escape from the prison that is your mind and give you an insight into how you enslave yourself to your mind and its thoughts. It's these insights that nothing else can give you besides psychedelics, no doctor or therapist can offer you these kind of insights because it's your lived experience so all of the insights are relevant to your life and how you live it. It also gives you a connection to the greater world, a new connection with nature and its harmony, an experience so beautiful it'll bring tears. But that's why it's best used sparingly, don't rely on the drug, instead work with it and use those few hours you have with it to really get down to the deep stuff. Use those hours wisely and even just one experience could turn you into a different person, a new person. It's an escape from the matrix, once you see you can't unsee, you just need to be prepared to travel deep into the journey of yourself.

@Tuan Jie How was your ibogaine experience? I'm terrified to try it, but I've read it works wonders for addicts. I'm surprised you didn't get anything out of it.

post #10 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 02:04 AM
SAS Member

I'd tread carefully as hallucinogens could make things much worse.

Make sure you have plenty of fast-acting benzos nearby so you can mitigate a bad trip.
post #11 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
prince charming

Thank you very much people!
@ManInAShed I took ibogaine when I hit rock bottom. I can't recall the dosage, but it sure had an effect on me. Time got distorted and I felt feverish and sick. Throwing up all the time. I've been in bed for about three days and felt like an old man when I finally stumbled out of it.
What happened to me emotionally was a continuation of the state I was in at the time. I can't tell for sure if it was the iboga or just that. I believe it was the latter. I'd broke up with my girlfriend some months before and had been struggling hard to keep on living. The feelings of loss, grief, loneliness, worthlessness, hopelessness were so intense, also before the iboga, I could have never imagined possible before. And I had my share of that before, I guarantee. It was so oppressive, that I felt like I was going to choke in it. It was all that existed and ever would exist. I couldn't bear it. I even asked the lady that was keeping an eye on me to stay in the room for some time when she came to check on me. Me, who always always always wanted to be alone. In the end I didn't have any particular insights or an alternative view on myself and my life. I was looking for a way to reach the heart of it all within me, but I felt I didn't get there. Perhaps I did. I'm convinced the feelings I tried to describe above are one and the same thing, and they remain the core of my issues. If I had to sum it up, I'd say it's a lack of love.

I recently went to two months of this again. It took me completely by surprise. My ex contacted me after ten years and I fell into this bottomless pit again. There are no words for it. I just can't live with it. I can't go on like this. Something needs to happen. No conventional approach is going to help me enough, I'm sure. It's like you say, there is no other way to bring about another way of experiencing. I'm scared to have a bad trip and I'm glad there are some counter measures known for it. I can understand it can leave you with PTSD. I may have some form of it already, just from life experiences. I've come to the point where I feel I don't have much to loose anymore but I'm not reckless. I'm going to do my homework, like I also did with iboga, and talk to people about it as much as I can. Again, thank you for sharing!
post #12 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 06:35 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
I know right it's scary, it's like a nightmare that you can't wake up from and then the fear just keeps building upon itself. I never believed in bad trips until I had one. It's a risk because if it happens to a fragile person they may experience PTSD and psychological damage. That's why it's good to have benzos and antipsychotics on hand. Just knowing you have them can ease your anxiety. My last trip was a bad trip and I coped out and took some benzos and antipsychotics and it made all the difference, it stopped it so I could calm down. That's why I don't use LSD anymore after that trip, I've gotten what I need from it and I have no desire to go back.

But psychedelics in general are almost a required experience in seeing what it means to be human. They can bring about such a profound change of mind, allowing you to escape from the prison that is your mind and give you an insight into how you enslave yourself to your mind and its thoughts. It's these insights that nothing else can give you besides psychedelics, no doctor or therapist can offer you these kind of insights because it's your lived experience so all of the insights are relevant to your life and how you live it. It also gives you a connection to the greater world, a new connection with nature and its harmony, an experience so beautiful it'll bring tears. But that's why it's best used sparingly, don't rely on the drug, instead work with it and use those few hours you have with it to really get down to the deep stuff. Use those hours wisely and even just one experience could turn you into a different person, a new person. It's an escape from the matrix, once you see you can't unsee, you just need to be prepared to travel deep into the journey of yourself.

@Tuan Jie How was your ibogaine experience? I'm terrified to try it, but I've read it works wonders for addicts. I'm surprised you didn't get anything out of it.
Yeah I think you summed up best when you noted it should be treated with respect to get the benefit without misuse/overuse. It's better than any pharma drug to alleviate depression in my opinion, it's derived from nature. The illicit nature means people don't even get that chance..soon hopefully.
post #13 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:31 PM
Poorly tuned

My Mood: Relaxed
This sounds like a real bad idea.

/WYSD
post #14 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
This sounds like a real bad idea.
Since when is becoming the Lizard King(or Queen) a bad idea? You're royalty, what could go wrong?
post #15 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
prince charming

((( connect or perish )))
post #16 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 05:10 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Amazed
Lsd and magic mushrooms can mess up your brain
post #17 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
prince charming

@sad1231234 Two recent clinical trials suggest the opposite is possible, ain't that great news!? The results are very promising. I find hope in it. Rosalind Watts, the lady in the video above, is a member of the John Hopkins University research team. See link below.

New York Times article (Easy read): A Dose of a Hallucinogen From a ‘Magic Mushroom,’ and Then Lasting Peace

The actual studies:

Johns Hopkins University:
Psilocybin produces substantial and sustained decreases in depression and anxiety in patients with life-threatening cancer: A randomized double-blind trial

New York University:
Rapid and sustained symptom reduction following psilocybin treatment for anxiety and depression in patients with life-threatening cancer: a randomized controlled trial

post #18 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 11:23 AM
Harvestor Of Sorrow

In my early teens I did LSD regularly for about 2 years and it was the greatest thing in the world. But then I had a bad trip and my life was forever changed for the worse. I stopped using LSD after that bad trip. All my mental health issues can be traced right back to that bad trip. I was actually hallucinating for years after that bad trip; it was as if the LSD never left my brain. I had mild anxiety before the bad trip but since then it completely amplified my anxiety, caused insomnia, panic attacks, suicidal behavior, and OCD.

And wet she rose from the lake, and fast and fleet went she
One half the form of a maiden fair with a jet black mare's body

And loud, long and shrill he blew til his steed was by his side
High overhead the grey hawk flew and swiftly did he ride
Saying "Course well, my brindled hound, and fetch me the jet black mare
Stoop and strike, my good grey hawk, and bring me the maiden fair"
post #19 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
prince charming

@rockyraccoon That's been a very expensive mistake! I've once met a guy in therapy who had a similar experience. LSD/hallucinogens are not to be taken lightly, especially for those with mental health issues. I hope you'll one day recover from it.

The reason why the initial research into treating mental health patients with hallucinogens stopped, was because hippies started to use it as a party drug. There's much more to it than the bad rep these drugs got because of it. It took more than half a decade for science to finally pick up the research where it had hastily been abandoned due to the end of funding. And this is exactly where it belongs, in the hands of scientists. I'm glad there are some who dare to go against popular belief and refuse to throw away the baby with the bathwater.

post #20 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 04:27 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Amazed
I personally know someone who almost died on mushrooms. Good luck if you want to blow your brains out.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page