Is therapy a ripoff? - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 04:47 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Inspired
It depends on the therapist and the price. Therapy itself is one of the most effective, research-supported methods of mental health treatment, so it's certainly a good method.

<3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 02:20 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Blah
I must have spent thousands in money and hundreds of hours with various therapies and even got into the fringes of some cultish-type groups over the years, so I have some experience.
I would say some therapies are useful at times and some are useless or even dangerous! Some therapists can be subtly abusive and downright manipulative!

There was an online question guide a few years back to consult, ah found it:

50 Warning Signs of Questionable Therapy and Counseling

In no particular order, it is a red flag if you find your:

1. Counselor does not have sufficient and specific training to address your issues and/or attempts to treat problems outside the scope of the practice.
2. Therapist is not interested in the changes you want to make and your goals for therapy.
3. Counselor cannot or does not clearly define how he or she can help you to solve whatever issue or concern has brought you to therapy.
4. Therapist provides no explanation of how you will know when your therapy is complete.
5. Counselor does not seek consultation with other therapists.
6. Therapist makes guarantees and/or promises.
7. Therapist has unresolved complaints filed with their licensing board.
8. Therapist does not provide you with information about your rights as a client, confidentiality, office policies, and fees so you can fairly consent to your treatment. Note: The information provided to new clients by therapists differs by state and licensure requirements.
9. Counselor is judgmental or critical of your behavior, lifestyle, or problems.
10. Therapist “looks down” at you or treats you as inferior in subtle or not so subtle ways.
11. Counselor blames your family, friends, or partner.
12. Counselor encourages you to blame your family, friends, or partner.
13. Therapist knowingly or unknowingly gets his or her own psychological needs meet at the expense of focusing on you and your therapy.
14. Counselor tries to be your friend.
15. Therapist initiates touch (i.e., hugs) without your consent.
16. Counselor attempts to have a sexual or romantic relationship with you.
17. Therapist talks excessively about him- or herself and/or self-discloses often without any therapeutic purpose.
18. Counselor tries to enlist your help with something not related to your therapy.
19. Therapist discloses your identifying information without authorization or mandate.
20. Counselor tells you the identities of his or her other clients.
21. Therapist discloses that he or she has never been in his or her own therapy.
22. Counselor cannot accept feedback or admit mistakes.
23. Therapist focuses extensively on diagnosing without also helping you to change.
24. Counselor talks too much.
25. Therapist does not talk at all.
26. Counselor often speaks in complex “psychobabble” that leaves you confused.
27. Therapist focuses on thoughts and cognition at the exclusion of feelings and somatic experience.
28. Counselor focuses on feelings and somatic experience at the exclusion of thoughts, insight, and cognitive processing.
29. Therapist acts as if she or he has the answers or solutions to everything and spends time telling you how to best fix or change things.
30. Counselor tells you what to do, makes decisions for you, or gives frequent unsolicited advice.
31. Therapist encourages your dependency by allowing you to get your emotional needs meet from the therapist. Therapist “feeds you fish, rather than helping you to fish for yourself.”
32. Counselor tries to keep you in therapy against your will.
33. Therapist believes that only her or his counseling approach works and ridicules other approaches to therapy.
34. Therapist is contentious with you or frequently confrontational.
35. Counselor doesn’t remember your name and/or doesn’t remember your issues from one session to the next.
36. Therapist does not pay attention or demonstrate he or she is listening and understanding you.
37. Counselor answers the phone during your session.
38. Therapist is not sensitive to your culture or religion.
39. Counselor denies or ignores the importance of your spirituality.
40. Therapist tries to push spirituality or religion on to you.
41. Counselor does not empathize.
42. Therapist empathizes too much.
43. Counselor seems overwhelmed with your problems.
44. Therapist seems overly emotional, affected, or triggered by your feelings or issues.
45. Counselor pushes you into highly vulnerable feelings or memories.
46. Therapist avoids going near any emotional or vulnerable feelings.
47. Counselor does not ask your permission to use various psychotherapeutic techniques.
48. Therapist tries to get you to exert overt control over your impulses, compulsions, or addictions without helping you to appreciate and resolve the underlying causes.
49. Counselor prematurely and/or exclusively focuses on helping you to appreciate and resolve the underlying causes of an issue or compulsion when you would instead benefit more from learning coping skills to manage your impulses.
50. Your counselor habitually misses, cancels, or shows up late to appointments.

https://www.goodtherapy.org/blog/war...f-bad-therapy/

Also, remember, you are your therapists next meal ticket, house-extension, foreign holiday., etc.
The longer you stay as their patient, the more income you generate for them!
Often the people who need the most help are those who can least afford it! Do they care? Hell no!

Often people become therapists in the subconcious hope of curing their own issues - yes it's a fact - they will project their own problems onto you - beware!
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 02:26 PM
I'll reply you all later

Language: Bad English
My Mood: Dead
^^ Girl that's one long list!

I'm not even sure what the right therapist is supposed to do anymore. Apparently only CBT.

Sorry for not currently replying to your posts addressed to me. I will do that later (hopefully in a few days) because now I can't Please, don't take it personally because you have nothing to do with it.

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 02:53 PM
I'll reply you all later

Sorry for not currently replying to your posts addressed to me. I will do that later (hopefully in a few days) because now I can't Please, don't take it personally because you have nothing to do with it.
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 05:25 PM
I'll reply you all later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catechumen View Post
Often the people who need the most help are those who can least afford it! Do they care? Hell no!
Yes, they don't. Almost no one else cares about it too. Also people don't care about sweatshop workers, modern slavery, homelessness etc. Or if they do they don't do anything to make the situation better. On one hand, I agree that's cynical and that's what I also don't like. On the other one, it's not that fair to put this whole baggage of responsibility on therapists. Are they responsible for all the traumatizing experiences, lousy parents, bad childhoods, economical problems, class oppression, capitalism etc just because they chose therapy and healing people as their profession? Not more than any of us. It's ethical to lower your price for people who can't afford it, but you can only do so much. You can't help everybody and heal the world. You also can't influence the government to change it's policy, insurance companies etc just on your own.

To me it's odd we even have such a profession as therapist because almost everyone needs one to different extents. Why would one pay to another person to feel loved and accepted, listened to, safe? So much could be done for things to get better in the world if we made a collective work as humanity.

I agree with other stuff you said though.

post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 05:51 PM
The Meditator

Language: Enlgish
Almost all therapists don't know how to treat the root cause of trauma but they can address and answers hundreds of symptoms and questions. One of the reasons people keep going back for many years and only learning to put up with their issues instead of healing their trauma. People like Eckhart Tolle, Teal Swan, Evette Rose, Dr Joe Dispenza and others are doing real work to help people heal.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 06:22 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryForMyEnglish View Post
LOL - For me, this is one of the biggest reasons therapy can feel like a waste of time and money.

I've been starting to take written notes with me that I read which forces me face the emotions driving image A when I'm in a therapy session and become image B.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 04:50 PM
SAS Member

None of mine helped much. The ones who helped most were the ones listening most of the time, if you can call that helpful

Late Bloomer or Dead Man, idk
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 02:09 PM
I'll reply you all later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
LOL - For me, this is one of the biggest reasons therapy can feel like a waste of time and money.

I've been starting to take written notes with me that I read which forces me face the emotions driving image A when I'm in a therapy session and become image B.
Sorry, but I'm sort of glad to hear someone else is the same way because I have the same issue. Also glad that you seem to have found the way that helps you to express your emotions and be emotionally open. I actually found this picture on my therapist's social media page lol It's 100% about me and maybe about some of her other clients too.

I also do that, but I also have many doubts about the therapist and it prevents me from opening up as well as other things... Last times I was just sharing these doubts with her and it helped me to open up a bit more. Then there was a session where I expressed frustration about the fact that I don't see her reacting to stuff I'm saying to her and she gave me her feedback that it's better not to say anything at all and she would be present and involved in this silence then than just to say things for the sake of using the time (I share lots of stuff that happens to me and most of it is important as if it's a church confession, but I'm not emotional when I do that and when she tries to ask me questions about it I don't open up emotionally). She actually created a metaphor and said that it felt like I'm a mother who brought my child to therapy, the child is disinterested and silent and the mother tries to fill that time with talking to the therapist herself because she feels uncomfortable. Then I made a pause and started to talk about something more random, but what was actually on my mind at that time and she shared something about herself when I asked her about that topic and I shared my opinion too. I started to perceive her more as an equal person to me and next session I opened up much much more also because I was writing something to her before in an emotional state (she told me I could do that) and she started to mirror those emotions.

It was my last session so hopefully it continues to be this way because only that will help me to progress. I only had about 3-5 sessions like this in total. Other ones were just me saying lots of stuff at once briefly and superficially without any emotional attachment to it and ''I don't know''s and etc And I've been in therapy for almost two years now. I don't have sessions as often as it would probably be better for me though (I have them twice a month). But so does almost everyone else. And just like what Catechumen said, lots of people who also need it so badly and even more than me can't afford it at all so I'm very lucky so far.

post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:19 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryForMyEnglish View Post
It was my last session so hopefully it continues to be this way because only that will help me to progress. I only had about 3-5 sessions like this in total. Other ones were just me saying lots of stuff at once briefly and superficially without any emotional attachment to it and ''I don't know''s and etc And I've been in therapy for almost two years now. I don't have sessions as often as it would probably be better for me though (I have them twice a month). But so does almost everyone else. And just like what Catechumen said, lots of people who also need it so badly and even more than me can't afford it at all so I'm very lucky so far.

Good luck moving forward with your therapy! It can be REALLY hard trusting a therapist and it can take a lot of time and work but it sounds like you are getting somewhere. I think just sitting and venting can get stale pretty quick. I think to date the best session I had was when my therapist asked me how I thought the session went and I replied "A complete waste of time" I apologised for saying it as I avoid conflict but it broke me out of the pattern that I was in and challenged things a little.

But in all honesty, last session was a couple of days ago and I had notes in my pocket but I didn't get them out. Old habits are hard to break.
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 07:28 PM
Song and action man

I think it doesn’t hurt. Except for maybe your wallet 😝

In my case I think it if nothing else it guided me down the right track. But you’ve gotta be willing to do what it is to get to the bottom of what may be bothering you

“Just because you have a choice, it doesn't mean that any of them 'has' to be right."
post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 09:36 PM
Thepsychotherapist

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunFlower2011 View Post
I never find therapist not to be helpful unless you pay large amounts for their services. And it seems they all generally tell you the same thing.

How can someone afford to pay 70, 100, or up to 150 dollars per session for 1 hour. Times that 10 and you're dedicating 700, 1000, or 1500 for about 10 sessions, which is equivalent to only 10 hours. I dont get how people afford therapy, to get better. It takes time, like months to improve. But paying that much is just too much.

Thoughts?
Hello Sunflower2011,

It indeed is insane how expensive therapy is in a lot of countries. And I agree, some therapists do tend to engage in unethical practices and just want money in exchange for minimum effort put. But not everyone is like that.

One practical solution is to opt for online therapy. There are a lot of therapists across the world who are very good, certified and accredited by Institutes in the States and charge much less, like 40-50$ per session (because their countries are not that expensive to begin with). If you don't believe me about not all therapist being like that, you can just message me privately and I'll give you a Free therapy session.

Love and Peace
Z
RE-CBT Psychotherapist
Albert Ellis Institute
New York City, USA
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 04:38 PM
Song and action man

I guess I should add to my last post therapy did if nothing else help me better verbalize the things that bother/bothered me

“Just because you have a choice, it doesn't mean that any of them 'has' to be right."
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 03:58 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Cool
Meh. Most of the change that happened with me was dumb luck, having met people that changed me or randomly having the courage to do something else. I can't help but feel that therapy was meant for extraverted lemmings, with all due respect. I mean if therapy works for you, great, but for me personally it was a blatant waste of time.
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 02:49 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Cool
Yes, the therapist I saw just gave me information I can find online or in a self-help book.

The world is quiet here.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 02:56 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Well everybody's trying to milk somebody, we're cash cows.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 12:29 AM
Devoted Dog Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunFlower2011 View Post
I never find therapist not to be helpful unless you pay large amounts for their services. And it seems they all generally tell you the same thing.

How can someone afford to pay 70, 100, or up to 150 dollars per session for 1 hour. Times that 10 and you're dedicating 700, 1000, or 1500 for about 10 sessions, which is equivalent to only 10 hours. I dont get how people afford therapy, to get better. It takes time, like months to improve. But paying that much is just too much.

Thoughts?

Isn't your insurance suppose to cover therapy sessions?
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 04:29 PM
Persona Non Grata

My Mood: Worried
My insurance does cover it...I pay a small co-pay for each visit. And it is worth it. My therapist is really the only one I can vent to (have no friends) and is willing to listen to my ramblings (especially about work). He is also patient with me as I am struggling with the things he has asked me to work on. I am not at the point yet where I want to take meds and the place I am going to does not push them on you like some other places I have gone in the past and I do appreciate that.
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 04:36 PM
Always on the Run.

My Mood: Pensive
Never been to a therapist in my life and it will continue to stay that way.

Currently uninsured at the moment anyway.

"If you're going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page