is counseling more or less the same thing as therapy? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
😪

My Mood: Worried

is counseling more or less the same thing as therapy?

my dad is looking into a counselor but i heard psychotherapists were more fit for the job? i don't really know the difference

song vv

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 09:43 PM
You tell me

I think it's a matter of qualifications. Some therapists / counselors are registered psychologists and some aren't. Its usually better to go to a registered psychologist because they're supposed to have more knowledge about how to conduct therapy / counselling. As for psychotherapy... I think that pertains to Freudian style therapy, which a lot of people aren't a fan of because it can get pretty esoteric and weird.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 12:24 PM
SAS Member

Language: english, tagolog, chinese
My Mood: Amused
counselors are less expensive than therapist usually activities are same

Shyra Marie

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 12:41 PM
SAS Member

Therapy to me means a structured pathway based on sound logic, experience and the most cutting edge methods that can partially or entirely eliminate the problems of the patient with minimal distress on their part. I don't get the impression that there are many therapists around at the moment capable of offering such a high quality service. I really think there is a huge need in society for services helping people develop interpersonal skills and overcoming anxiety.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 06:36 AM
Tired

Language: English
Old thread, but "therapy" involves an immense difference in what you get, mainly based on the capabilities of the therapist. Look for bodies that the therapist belongs to. I personally wouldn't get therapy from anyone less than a psychologist because in my experience anything less has been total and utter horse**** (and often makes things worse).

People here who complain about therapy, and say its useless, have usually just had bad therapy from this therapists.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 10:41 PM
bipolar

I always thought counselling was more to get you through a particularly difficult time in your life - as a response to something that's happened for example. Therapy is different to that.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page