I've started therapy and asked for a dignosis - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I've started therapy and asked for a dignosis

Hello, I am 35. I started therapy this morning in Turkey (sorry my English). I asked for a diagnosis, but my psychologist refused it. I was wondering what my problem was, a social phobia, an avoidant personality, an autism, simple shyness or whatever.

He said "I don't diagnose. I know some psychiatrists diagnose, some are against it." I insisted: "I want to know who I am, I want to go deep and learn myself. I've overcome my anxiety largely since then by myself, but I want to find core reason etc."
He said "No. It can mess up. You feel worse then. We don't share diagnose with you. But we will go deep and help you to understand yourself. Give us some time, after a few sessions, if you don't see any improvement you can give up the therapy."

I am not sure, but I said OK, I will try some. He is young. he will use cognitive behavioral therapy. Yes, I know every person is unique. But I don't waste my time with these philosophical statements and "you're good enough" suggestions. Because I know, when you go out of your comfort zone, anxiety disappears at the end. But the root of the problem remains there. Anyway, we'll see.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page